As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e] The Fantastical Contraption(OOC) - Recruiting!

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not only is character selection now 13 hours away, but I have the next two days off of work.

Every once in a while, it's good to be me.

Farangu on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Second submission:

Finrick, Half-Elf Bard

Background:
    Finrick is one of five who were abandoned as babes, then recovered and raised by Corran the gnome. There are likely times when his "siblings" wish he hadn't been. It's not that Finrick is a bad person so much as he's just incredibly annoying sometimes. He's always adamant about being the best or the first at everything, even when it's clear he isn't. He turns everything into a competition and is a terrible winner, full of smug pride.

He is, at least, a pretty good loser, as he has bested many times by his siblings in competitions that were always forgone conclusions. The truth is that Finrick's fairly good at quite a number of things*, being an advocate of learning by doing. To that extent, he fancies himself the leader of his siblings, always being the first to take action, often aggressively. He feels responsible for them, as though he were older (there's that smugness again), and he takes that very seriously. He very much wants to help his siblings accomplish their goals, often with great zeal and too much enthusiasm ... but he just forgets sometimes. It's probably for the better most of the time actually, because there's scarcely a situation that Finrick couldn't make worse with his bombastic, feet-first approach.

But there are, after all, there are so many exciting places to see first, things to be best at, things to eat even, that he could scarcely be blamed.

* I plan to take various feats to give Finrick skill boosts later.
    Image:
    None yet!
    Invention:
    Finkrick would build a vehicle by which he - and possibly others - could see the world. Ideally, it'd have a comfortable interior shielded from the elements, so they could visit all different climates in all sorts of weather. It would need to be able to lodge them for long periods of time for those times when they'd be far from civilization, and so would need to be able to carry significant supplies as well. It should be able to fly, so they can ascend and descend altitudes, travel underwater, and do them quickly, so they can skip boring travel times. But then the vehicle should also have fine controls so they can travel slowly in tight spaces, like in a city or a jungle. And of course, it'd need to be secured in some way, from thieves and bandits and pirates and soldiers, Oh, and it should look cool.

hippofant on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sweet Zombie Jesus, that's 37 submissions. That's a nice resounding 13.5% probability of any one character getting selected...

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm gonna go to sleep now and hopefully wake up past the time when you've picked the characters.

WhiteWolf on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maaaaaaaaaaaan I finally have enough free time to get involved in a PbP again and I'd have to contend with THIRTY-SEVEN OTHER PEOPLE?

F that! I'll wait for the next one!

interrobang on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well technically you should weight by role as a dual leader party is highly unlikely. It's actually quite even from the posted list though.

Phyphor on
  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I messed around with a few characters (star pact warlock looks neat) but ultimately I couldn't find one that I really liked and I'm not sure I want to commit myself to something like this. I seem to have more fun making characters than playing them anyway.

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guillaume, Human Tempest Fighter
    Pirate2.jpg
    "Ah, fresh air, surrounded by seamen -- I mean manly sailors -- I mean... ah shit. Can I try that again?"

Character Sheet Link (fighter class)

Character Sheet Link (fighter/rogue hybrid class)

Life before 20...
    Guy's young mother probably was too busy being a damsel in distress to raise him. At least, that's what he told himself when he was young. That's what all the young women were doing in the bedtime stories Corran read he and his four cohorts, so it stood to reason that she must be doing that.

Oddly enough, he maintained this illusion well into his teens. At some point, he just decided it was better not to know. The lack of a female role model and a father figure who was half his size started to become confusing as he sprouted up and proved to be a cunning and athletic young man.

Though only of average intelligence, Guy became an avid reader among the gnomish tinkerer's private library. Unfortunately, rather than reading anything technical, he became much more interested in fencing manuals, and the legendary feats of the swashbucklers and skilled swordsmen who wrote them. And oddly enough, knitting.

Guy tends to be a bit impractical, being more concerned with his appearance and sword techniques (and how flashy they are) and will often ignore everyday necessities. He was often scolded for neglecting chores early in life... later in life his cohorts are likely to find him asking for the use of a piece of equipment that he ought to be sensible enough to possess (but simply did not complement his wardrobe). Some of his 'siblings' may find it a bit charming or child-like... while others may just think he's always been a slacker.

Around age twelve, Guy began sneaking away from his woodland home frequently. Though he would never fess up to what he was doing, his adopted siblings occasionally caught him practicing sword routines in the woods. Or staring at his own reflection in one of the nearby ponds. He was a difficult teenager, but Corran tried to let him pursue his own interests, as silly as they may have seemed.

Swords helped. Seriously, what don't they help?

Answer to question.
    Sewing machine. What? Do you realize how that would revolutionize society?

edit: oh, and the background for both builds I submitted (instead of two characters, one with two different builds) his background is General: Early Life - Child Prodigy (gain History as a class skill)

also i think this is the first time that i've created a character where wearing fine clothing was the main factor in how to spend starting gold

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I messed around with a few characters (star pact warlock looks neat) but ultimately I couldn't find one that I really liked and I'm not sure I want to commit myself to something like this. I seem to have more fun making characters than playing them anyway.
    Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time to finish my character too.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    also i think this is the first time that i've created a character where wearing fine clothing was the main factor in how to spend starting gold

:^:

Atherton was the same.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited May 2010
    Ok...I've waited a week. That's long enough. Also the selection is big enough. Also also I hate deadlines.

SUBMISSIONS CLOSED

Farangu on
    edited May 2010
    Before I put up the party, few ground rules:

1. The story is the focus here, not the game mechanics. The most immediate impact of this will be experience points: There are none. You will level when I tell you to level. I'll try and design everything so that it feels as close as possible to the xp needed to level up, but I have to put some sort of speed on this thing before we all die of old age/cancer/2012(IT'S RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER PEOPLE).

Speaking of speed...

2. AT LEAST 1 post per day. Doesn't matter if it's RP exposition or battle details. Weekends are optional, but highly encouraged.

And since some of you might read the story I lifted this idea from...

3. Keep it to your gods-damned self. Plenty of time for saying "I called it" after the game's done.

To those who didn't get in, it wasn't because your characters weren't awesome. They were. Every single damn one. Choosing between them was excruciating. But in the end, I went with the 5 that had a combination of no pbp experience, currently not in any right now, and how fun I thought their characters would be. But that doesn't mean delete them. Oh no. Keep them on the backburner, you could be a replacement! Or I might have other uses for them down the road.

Ok, with all that said...The party selection...

*drumroll*

Farangu on
  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    .... baited breath ....

soxbox on
    edited May 2010
    ...will not be seen tonight so we can bring you a special presentation!

155906393_9a8866af82.jpg?v=0

Farangu on
  • PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    waits for it..

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    hehe...couldn't resist it, the setup was too obvious. :D

The party is:

Swanky, Halfling Rogue (Smoove Operator)

Carrel, Gnome Warlock (WhiteWolf)

Skarr, Orc Fighter (Steelhawk)

Korin, Dragonborn Ardent (Kinahto)

Daus, Changeling Wizard (Aegof)

Party members: I need token pictures if you haven't already found one. If you missed it, go over the core tenets on the previous page. I will accept sheet changes until our first encounter. This is now the OOC thread. IC thread will be up shortly. Congrats! Savor it!

Because now I'm the bad guy. :twisted:

Farangu on
  • WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    gratz doods have fun!

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damn that Gnome, just because a baby looks like a pile of wet driftwood doesn't mean you have to throw it back.
    :x

Hermenegilde on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Curses! Foiled again!

Ah well. Congrats to all who got in. Maybe next time, eh?

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
    edited May 2010
    Grats to the winners. Gonna observe the game for sure.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh well, maybe another time. Good luck to you all

Phyphor on
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yesss.

I had hoped, as much as anything else, that Daus and Korin would end up in the game together.
    This is like winning two lotteries.

Also
    The best way to represent this guy visually is to show him as he never is: a changeling.
    10.jpg

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, this should be interesting, to say the least.

As for a token image, here:
    dragonborn_warlord.jpg
    It's not perfect, but it'll do. Just ignore the weapons he's carrying, and we're pretty much set.

Kinahto on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have fun storming the castle!

Saurfang on
  • Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    *clapclapclapclapclap*

Have fun guys!

Paranoia833 on
    edited May 2010
    Kinahto wrote: »
    Of course, slightly worrying to Corran was the design of a bracelet, based on an item usually meant to be used to fight lycanthropes, which Korin had somehow found had the side-effect of temporarily disabling the abilities of shapeshifters, including Changelings...

oh no
    Lunia’s Bracelet

This silver bracelet contains charms of stars and moons that hold power against lycanthropes.

Level: 3
    Price: 680 gp
    Item Slot: Arms

Property: Treat weapons you wield (including ammunition, thrown weapons, and the like) as silvered (Player’s Handbook, page 220).

Power (Daily): Free. Trigger: You hit a shapechanger with a weapon attack. Effect: The creature reverts to its natural form and can’t use polymorph powers (save ends).

First published in Adventurer's Vault 2.

oh nooooooo

(this will be spectacular)

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
    edited May 2010
    Hay guyz

Guess which item you guyz find first

GO 'HEAD, GUESS

Farangu on
  • WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Go 'head"

Hmmm. That phrasing seems ominous to me.

WhiteWolf on
    edited May 2010
    Clearly it means I'm getting my Gem of Bluffplus first.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    Hay guyz

Guess which item you guyz find first

GO 'HEAD, GUESS

Ha... Haha... MUHUHUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

Kinahto on
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pfsh, he clearly means that we are finding a mannequin wearing Addergrease leather armor, with a Cape of the Mountebank hanging around its shoulders, with Flaying gloves stuck inside the armor, and Aftershock Shuriken in the gloves, and Catstep boots underneath. That is the only reasonable explanation.

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Farangu!

You box is full, did you get my app?

Alkey42 on
    edited November 2010
    Yes.

Farangu on
    edited November 2010
    Also, kudos to Alkey for finding this thread! I thought it had long been lost to the aether. As a refresher, the party needs a replacement leader! If you submitted one in the original recruitment all the way back in May, and still feel like hopping in, send me a line!

Farangu on
    edited November 2010
    I'm building a character at the moment. Making an Ardent.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Will a winner be chosen soon?

Alkey42 on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey Farangu,

I am still on vacation but had submitted it an Artificer via private post--hope you got it.

If not, let me know. If you want more background/changes, also let me know :)

thanks!

streever on
    edited November 2010
    Recruitment has closed.

I will announce a winner tomorrow.

Farangu on
    edited June 2011
    Apparently, it is that time again...

A spot has opened up in our lineup! I need someone to fill it!

What I'm looking for: Level 5 character. Currently we have an artificer, barbarian, fighter and wizard. The party is pretty well rounded, so create a class that YOU think will fit in well with this mix. 22 point buy, then level up to lvl 5. One magic item of lvl 6, 5 or 4 for free. Picture with your application. Familiarity with the story so far is a plus, but I will be willing to fill in the blanks.

The current members will be voting on who to include in this campaign. I will only be recruiting for a couple of days, so do please hurry with the creation. The one thing I'm looking for above all else: Durability. Third replacement I've had to find in a year. I want someone who will stick with this.

And...go, I guess.

Farangu on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadi Sariyah, Eladrin Bard

elfwarrior.jpg
    Background
    Shadi spent most of his youth in the feywild, learning the ways of his cousins. Due to an unrequited love, he set out deep into the world and found a desert tribe to join. He learned how to utilize his connection to the fey through his bardic talents, but also perfected his sword techniques, drawing on his arcane upbringing. His heart mended through time, he has moved on from the tribe to find civilization once more.

He is on his way to Keltain to see its famous inventor, but he'll take any adventure that comes his way.
    Mechanics/Availability
    Shadi is a bard multiclassing Warlock and Swordmage - what better for a well rounded party than a well rounded bard? He has a set of Imposter's Finemail +2, which he usually has appear to be a desert full body outfit, complete with turban and face covering. In combat he looks much like the mini (with one sword instead of two).

I'm in a few other PbPs, so I understand if that's a consideration. I can post at least once a day, and I don't have any major life changing things coming up that should disrupt anything.

Are themes or backgrounds allowed, and do we get any starting money other than 1 free magic item? Let me know if you need anything else in the application.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg