As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BREAKING NEWS: Fat Kids, Shoes, Fat Kids Can't Enlist

1789101113»

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, BMI can be useful, if it's measured accurately. Those online calculator things are barely an estimate. Proper BMI requires the use of calipers and such.

Abracadaniel on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Well, BMI can be useful, if it's measured accurately. Those online calculator things are barely an estimate. Proper BMI requires the use of calipers and such.

no dude, that's body fat percentage

bmi is body mass index
    its just weight and height

though on a larger statistical scale its probably useful for making generalizations about populations, for individuals bmi ain't that useful

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Stale wrote: »
    I've been on both sides of the spectrum.

I'm 6'5" and I have weighed over 320lbs, and I've weighed under 150lbs.

I gotta say. I felt better rail-thin then I did fat. Shocking news, I know.

crap, how'd you lost 200 lbs.? that can't have been pleasant

Centipede Damascus on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Stale wrote: »
    I've been on both sides of the spectrum.

I'm 6'5" and I have weighed over 320lbs, and I've weighed under 150lbs.

I gotta say. I felt better rail-thin then I did fat. Shocking news, I know.

crap, how'd you lost 200 lbs.? that can't have been pleasant

how do you not know that Stale is basically a walking time bomb who doctors expected to not reach 30? it's not like he's been shy about discussing this over the past couple of years on the forum.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I knew that, but I didn't know he was ever over 300 lbs. or how he lost it!

Centipede Damascus on
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »

no dude, that's body fat percentage

bmi is body mass index
    its just weight and height

though on a larger statistical scale its probably useful for making generalizations about populations, for individuals bmi ain't that useful

Maybe, but even on a general scale BMI is used as an indicator of healthiness, and the problem with that is the same number can lead to two very different conclusions. If you tell me a given group of males has a BMI of 25, are you telling me they are somewhat fat or fairly muscular?

edit: I think what I'm saying is that BMI would be more useful if it incorporated some horizontal measurements as well. Then you could better distinguish between people that are fluffy vs lean and mean.

But it still seems simpler to just measure body fat %.

Sticks on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, the BMI thing is a load of BS for judging how fat someone is.

When I was trying to join the Army and was going through MEPS. This huge, 6 feet 7 inches tall, black basketball player fucking broke the BMI scale. Everyone started to laugh when the doctor busted out the measuring tape to check his body fat %, cause he was easily the fittest person in the room.

Then you have a bunch of pudgy kids who looked like they never done a real push up in their lives have 'good' BMI's.

Casually Hardcore on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i'm a lanky fuck whose cousins used to make fun of by calling 'Gangles Khan' and I got 'obese' on the BMI

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, the BMI thing is a load of BS for judging how fat someone is.

When I was trying to join the Army and was going through MEPS. This huge, 6 feet 7 inches tall, black basketball player fucking broke the BMI scale. Everyone started to laugh when the doctor busted out the measuring tape to check his body fat %, cause he was easily the fittest person in the room.

Then you have a bunch of pudgy kids who looked like they never done a real push up in their lives have 'good' BMI's.

In an ideal situation (i.e. they get to pick and choose recruits more than they do now), the military would probably restrict height anyway. I can't think of any advantages that big size would confer in modern combat.

Back in the day, bigger dudes would be able to swing weapons with more force, but now they are just bigger targets. They also take up more room in limited space.

Sticks on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    While I'm sure 4-foot storm troopers will be all the rage when we're roaming around in mechanised war suits, at present sheer physical power is still a boon to infantry if only in the most basic sense of lugging around equipment

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited May 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    While I'm sure 4-foot storm troopers will be all the rage when we're roaming around in mechanised war suits, at present sheer physical power is still a boon to infantry if only in the most basic sense of lugging around equipment

I guess, but what equipment needs to be carried that could only be accomplished well by a big dude? As far as I know, all the soldiers are carrying 60+ lbs of gear on their back.

Sticks on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    weapons that require a crew of dudes typically weigh a lot

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited May 2010
    True, but those weapons usually breaking into more manageable pieces for hauling. Do they normally assign big guys to crew those or something?

I'm not even sure where I was going with this....After the story about the 6'7" b-ball player, I pictured an army of NBA sized guys running around (or worse, Shaq sized) and how that probably wouldn't be any general's first choice.

Sticks on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    doesn't really matter

he could be a fucking cook

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited May 2010
    Sticks wrote: »
    True, but those weapons usually breaking into more manageable pieces for hauling. Do they normally assign big guys to crew those or something?

I'm not even sure where I was going with this....After the story about the 6'7" b-ball player, I pictured an army of NBA sized guys running around (or worse, Shaq sized) and how that probably wouldn't be any general's first choice.

really it just seems like you're really trying to figure this out while ignoring the fact that you don't really know what the fuck

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2010
    This is a really weird conversation

I just don't think the size difference between an average guy and a really tall guy is significant enough to make them markedly more vulnerable to enemy fire

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apparently in a recent report the WHO is applauding North Korea's lack of obesity problems. A starving nation lacking fat people; imagine that.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

really it just seems like you're really trying to figure this out while ignoring the fact that you don't really know what the fuck

basically?

i mean, its not like i'm putting serious thought into it. i just got a mental picture and ran with it.

how did they do it back in your era dru? I imagine viking size guys were pretty highly prized back then.

teehee my first druhim is old joke

Sticks on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Part of the reasoning for not letting women into combat or fire departments was that they couldn't carry people. I think this is a thing of the past, but big dudes can definitely carry small dudes... but are so much harder to carry. So that is definitely an advantage and does come up in modern warfare.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited May 2010
    Big people are more expensive to feed and cloth which is why there is a maximum height requirement of 80" (6'-8") in the Army and Marines.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2010
    yeah but 6'8" is still frickin huge

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2010
    See?

So I wasn't completely pulling things out of my ass (well I was, but apparently the military agrees?).

Unless butters is also pulling things out of his ass, in which case this is just a big grab ass operation.

Sticks on
    edited May 2010
    If he'd been able to fulfill his childhood dream of joining the Marines, Gigantor the Evil Giant might have gone down such a different path

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I knew that, but I didn't know he was ever over 300 lbs. or how he lost it!

Take everything you've ingested in the last 48 hours

remove anything solid

now remove anything with any sugar

now take what's left and cut it in half.

That's what I consumed every 3 days, for about 9 months in 97-98, in-between chemo and working at a terrible job and hoping and praying for death.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    apparently there is a tiny pacific island nation called nauru that completely dominates the US in obesity rates. According to this 78% of the population is obese.

Jars on
    edited May 2010
    Wait, what does that leave? Water? Air? Pureed vegetable...juice?

Sticks on
    edited May 2010
    See?

So I wasn't completely pulling things out of my ass (well I was, but apparently the military agrees?).

Unless butters is also pulling things out of his ass, in which case this is just a big grab ass operation.

but 6'8" is still fucking huge, so no you're still wrong

someone taller than that probably has other health issues because they have some kind of growth disorder

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Butters wrote: »
    Big people are more expensive to feed and cloth which is why there is a maximum height requirement of 80" (6'-8") in the Army and Marines.

And a lot of equipment/housing/other important stuff just isn't made for the extremely tall

Usagi on
    edited May 2010
    yeah but 6'8" is still frickin huge

Yeah but I can't imagine there's too many even close to that height in the Army or Marines. Too much long distance running, jumping, climbing, crawling and shit. It's just not a profession that lends well to being well above average height.
    Usagi wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

And a lot of equipment/housing/other important stuff just isn't made for the extremely tall

Which goes back to expense. It's cheaper to make everything medium sized from bunks to combat boots.

Butters on
    edited May 2010
    See?

but 6'8" is still fucking huge, so no you're still wrong

someone taller than that probably has other health issues because they have some kind of growth disorder

Wrong about what? Boiled down, all I said is the military probably doesn't want really big guys if it has other options to fulfill recruitment. Its not like I threw an actual number out there. I guess everyone assumed I was saying something small like 6'0" or something?

The rest of it was just a bunch of bullshit reasons that I pulled out of my ass as to why they might not want NBA sized soldiers.

Sticks on
    edited May 2010
    Wait, what does that leave? Water? Air? Pureed vegetable...juice?

it leaves not much.

But thats ok, since you're basically slowly poisoning yourself to death with the chemo, you don't have much of an appetite.

I subsided for almost an entire week on a can of chicken broth, and 3 snack packs of jello.

and I threw up the jello.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Considering that the average height in the NBA is about 6'-7" that would be a fairly accurate assumption, Sticks.

Butters on
    edited May 2010
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    I wonder what other untapped markets there are.

If you can think of a fetish, there's at least one forum dedicated to masturbating to it

You are leading me into dangerous territory.

Ruby Rhod on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I lost 75 pounds when I started takin' meds

I am trying to remain not fat

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I only jerk of to the fetish that no forumers jerk of to.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    National picnic month?

Ruby Rhod on