As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Mass Effect 2 - Set 32 (7th Nov) Suicide Mission

BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is MandatoryRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
Hello, and welcome to yet another Penny Arcade Let's Play.

masseffect2logo.jpg

Mass Effect 2 is a a third-person shooter roleplaying game set a relatively short time in the future (for sci-fi) where humans have plagiarised FTL travel from giant space-squid-ships who are determined to exact revenge on them for this. They've also encountered an alien species comprised entirely of ageless nubile pansexual women with the bodies of supermodels, as well as some other species of lesser note. So apart from the super-secret intergalactic war that the government is trying to cover up, life couldn't be better.

As with my Mirror's Edge Let's Play, this will be a fairly directed, commentary-based experience, although I'll try and throw in a few funnies now and again. Comments, suggestions and the like are all welcome. I might even allow audience participation for a few bits and pieces; we shall see!

I hope you enjoy the videos!

WORKAROUNDS
I will put a little about fixing the godawful mouse acceleration/sensitivity in here soon. Then you will thank me and lay your women at my feet.

SETS

Set 1 - Respawn Point Set 2 - Norse Gods in the 22nd Century Set 3 - Protheans have massive balls Set 4 - Just like old times Set 5 - Luckiest space pigeons alive Set 6 - Mercenaries, Mechs, Gunships, oh my! Set 7 - Died of a broken nose Set 8 - On the authority of my Grenade Launcher Set 9 - Rocket Launcher Firing Squad Set 10 - Nuclear Detonation Detected Set 11 - Kill bees with bullets? Set 12 - Presence of a God Set 13 - Geth Dinner Ladies Set 14 - Comech Relief Set 15 - FOR SCIENCE! Set 16 - A Great Wind Set 17 - Soylent Green is Protheans Set 18 - Boing Boing Schlurp Set 19 - Grand Theft Space Taxi Set 20 - Death by Numbers Set 21 - Monkey Murder Simulator Set 22 - Only a Mistress of Evil Set 23 - Robo-Friendship Set 24 - Structural Weaknesses Set 25 - Vorcha Slam Dunk Set 26 - Learn to Fly Set 27 - White Geth Paste Set 28 - Black Widow Set 29 - It's Admiral Tigh! Set 30 - Bypass Marathon Set 31 - My Parent is Dead Set 32 - Suicide Mission

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
Bethryn on

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeez man shepard just died don't you have any respect

at least wait a couple of months until you release footage of his death

Nuzak on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This Bethryn fellow is so damn classy his walking stick wears a monocle.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What what

I will totally watch this.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been tempted to LP something and get into that scene for some time now, and I was thinking of starting with this/ME1 or Icewind Dale 2. I'm glad that someone has finally decided to do a ME2 LP but now I need to find something else... hmm.

Good sets btw, very well done for the subject matter.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, with all the transferring saves/backstory riffraff, you'd think an LP of ME1 was still somewhat needed.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love his reasoning for killing Alenko on Virmire:

"I didn't like his haircut".

"I wanted to have sex with the strange blue alien".

:^:

He's like if Helloween put a monocle on and was more attentive. Love it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not sure what to think about this. ME seems like something that would benefit a lot from audience participation. I think starting with ME1 would have been a better idea, too. That way if/when you got to 2, you wouldn't have to explain everything that happened in detail, since there's so many connections.

In a technical sense, it's quite good though.

Adus on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've always had difficulty getting slam to synergise properly with throw - it's meant to do mega-damage based on how high they've dropped from, but...

Maybe it synergises better with singularity?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, I can't bear ME1 after ME2. It would just be me raging against the game design so hard, even if I ran it on Easy.

I expect to get any backstory out of the way fairly quickly, since very little of it has much bearing on ME2. The only reason I did an import was how bad the choices made by canon Shepard are. And Conrad Verner. We need Conrad Verner.

Audience participation will probably be things what order to do missions in in Act I & Act II (after I've got the cool character), possibly romance (I think we all know how that's going to go).

Main problem with getting Slam to synergise is that you tend to kill them after the third Throw. I was playing about with it last night; I can get about four throws in before they're out of range for Slam. :)

Bethryn on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Honestly, I can't bear ME1 after ME2. It would just be me raging against the game design so hard, even if I ran it on Easy.

I expect to get any backstory out of the way fairly quickly, since very little of it has much bearing on ME2. The only reason I did an import was how bad the choices made by canon Shepard are. And Conrad Verner. We need Conrad Verner.

I haven't played ME2 myself but I've heard the non-import version of Shepard described not so much as 'canon' as 'path of least resistance/effort'.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Main problem with getting Slam to synergise is that you tend to kill them after the third Throw. I was playing about with it last night; I can get about four throws in before they're out of range for Slam.

If there was a mod that made enemies with shields and armour vulnerable to biotics it would be infinitely more rad.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Since Liara was the one to go up to you at the beginning during the first Normandy's destruction, instead of Ashley or Kaiden, you've obviously started romancing her, so I figure your going to stick with that unless we tell you otherwise.

As for the order of doing missions, you are semi forced into starting on Omega to get Mordin and Garrus and Zaeed, as well as some early info, story, shopping, money, resources, etc. And that's after the Freedom's Progress stuff. After that though, you still need to follow a bit of a set order if you want your ending to go well:
    With the loyalty missions and getting all your crew through the suicide ending mission.

We might also poke you into doing the LP in a certain set of armor, depending on what you got/get.

I would have liked to have seen ME1, but I agree that the clunky inventory system, the loading screens, the elevators, and the somewhat convoluted key bindings are a pain, although they wouldn't hinder an LP they would still be annoying as hell.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd be willing to do ME1 again for an LP but I own it on Xbox and I have no capture card. Unless someone wants to buy me the PC version!

Adus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Since Liara was the one to go up to you at the beginning during the first Normandy's destruction, instead of Ashley or Kaiden, you've obviously started romancing her, so I figure your going to stick with that unless we tell you otherwise.
    Romance options from ME1 aren't available. We're playing the field again. :)
    As for the order of doing missions, you are semi forced into starting on Omega to get Mordin and Garrus and Zaeed, as well as some early info, story, shopping, money, resources, etc. And that's after the Freedom's Progress stuff. After that though, you still need to follow a bit of a set order if you want your ending to go well:
    With the loyalty missions and getting all your crew through the suicide ending mission.
    I'm not worried about getting a perfect ending. Getting interesting companion dialogue at the cost of the ending seems to me like it'd make better, more commentable sections.
    We might also poke you into doing the LP in a certain set of armor, depending on what you got/get.
    YOU CAN TRY.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Main problem with getting Slam to synergise is that you tend to kill them after the third Throw. I was playing about with it last night; I can get about four throws in before they're out of range for Slam.

If there was a mod that made enemies with shields and armour vulnerable to biotics it would be infinitely more rad.

ShieldsBlockPowers in the coalesced.ini to false. May be too powerful, though on the other hand it wouldn't be constant warp bombs.

Slam is the most fun loyalty power, glad to see you took it. Up...down...up...down...:lol:

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    oh and your shepard is hideous and mine is better

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Oh god did you just light the Pancake signal?

And this thread was so 56k friendly. 8(

Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh god did you just light the Pancake signal?

And this thread was so 56k friendly. 8(

I like this man. :P

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    you're romancing jacob

dem abs demand no less

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't know... there's a certain allure to callibrations...

Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't know... there's a certain allure to callibrations...

How'd I know we couldn't even get through one page of this Mass Effect 2 thread without making that reference?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    well garrus has standards, and a brow that slopes at a slightly steeper angle than that monstrosity of a shepard

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    well garrus has standards, and a brow that slopes at a slightly steeper angle than that monstrosity of a shepard

Ugly Commander Halle Berry Shepard is Ugly.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't comprehend how anyone can play Mass Effect with a Shephard who does not look like me.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Your unnatural beauty cannot be captured in the shepard-maker.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    there's no hair setting for "untamed, yet refined, like a greased mountain lion", so making an accurate klyka is impossible

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So, rendering and uploading second set at the moment. I have included in the OP and will also include here, for those who only check the latest page, the present 'vote'.
    1. Type 0800-GET-SPACEANGEL if you want to get a Turian first - I will begrudgingly not change my opinion of you.
    2. Type 0800-GET-SPACEPIGTURTLE if you want to get a Krogan first - I may worry slightly about your deviant sexual fascinations.
    3. Type 0800-GET-SPACEBITCH if you want a topless space bitch - I may retain the right to ignore any future votes you may or may not cast.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    0800-GET-SPACEANGEL

Grunt is fine, Jack is... well, Jack. Garrus is just awesome, both storywise and gameplay wise.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    shepard! what are you doing here?

i'm just interested in... talking for a bit.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bethryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Norse Gods, Alkaline Fens, Killing Mechs, dissing Tali, being classy and informative.

This is going to be a swell LP.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Make sure you do the Reaper IFF mission the second it becomes available, recruit Legion, and take him to Tali's loyalty mission.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And then be a complete ass to Tali.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And make her look like a moron in front of the Admiralty Board and get her ass kicked out of the Migrant Fleet.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    0800-GET-SPACEANGEL

Get Garrus! Garrus, I tells ya!

Also this is very fun and amusing and I like it! Thanks for making it. :D

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Just hearing about how mysterious and powerful the Illusive Man is supposed to be makes me wonder if he is supposed to be the Elusive Man. Like, are they purposely playing off of that homonym?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think its supposed to be a sort of cross between Elusive and Illusion.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    how did you get jailed

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a pun on the word "Illusive" meaning 'tending to deceive' and "Elusive" meaning 'difficult to comprehend/find/identify'

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    how did you get jailed

Swiftly.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png