As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[T.E.R.A] - So much plated thong your eyes will bleed

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Exactly, not my cup of tea but it's not necessarily time to lock up your kids.

EDIT: Neli below me does put in a compelling argument though :D

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now, see, I would not mind playing an 8 year old girl with an enormous warhammer that I used in PvP. To me, that just kind of seems fantastically hilarious.

It's made even better in this game since the big weapons barely scale with the small races, so they have to carry around these swords and axes and hammers that are 3-4 times their size. :lol: To me, getting to bash the head in of some enormous armored brute with a child character just seems like Good Times.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All they will see of my character is an Enormus sheild and lance, and a small pair of furry pink ears.

It will be THE BEST.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The gameplay does look quite fantastic, assuming they're able to compensate for lag without confining players inside tiny little instanced zones. I've really been jonesing for a more action-oriented MMO for a long time.

All that plus 8-year-old panda girls? Yes please!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have to say... I really dig the little racoon guy with the battleaxe. Also, the combat for the female caster looked interesting. Most of the melee looks a little too Phantasy Star Zero to me though (too much manual dodging followed by annoying re-targeting).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God I am buying this game day 1. As long as it maintains the action-rpg oriented gameplay instead of the dice roll style I will buy it.

I've been playing some FPS's recently that had knives (Battlefield Heroes, and Stargate Resistance), and if they can keep the hit detection/lag compensation comparative to those then I foresee a winner here.

Also, the environments look beautiful. I am so excited for this and can't wait to play it. I really havne't been this excited for a game in a while.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    MarkJWMarkJW Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God I am buying this game day 1. As long as it maintains the action-rpg oriented gameplay instead of the dice roll style I will buy it.
    It will maintain the combat style you're thinking about or they would lose their key feature. The only thing that really relies on die rolls is criticals, I think. 8-)

MarkJW on
    PAX Prime 2013 Checklist   ➤   ✔ Enforcer Badge   ✔ Hotel   ✔ Flight

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MarkJW wrote: »
    It will maintain the combat style you're thinking about or they would lose their key feature. The only thing that really relies on die rolls is criticals, I think. 8-)

That's totally reasonable. I guess what I really meant was: as long as the action rpg style works.

edit: Though I've got to say I'm surprised it took this long for this style to be attempted. I mean, all the FPS's are implementing rpg elements, it only makes sense to attempt adding FPS elements to an rpg. I've always like action rpg's better too.

I do wish though, that I hadn't learned about this game till closer to release. Then the wait wouldn't have been so unbearably long. I just hope I can find a mechanical engineering job by then. It's already depressing that I haven't found one and I graduated almost a year ago.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought the short, stumpy dude in the hooded tunic with the staff looked pretty cool.

pantsy on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder what Sigmund Freud would say if he read the last few posts of this thread concerning the anime girl.

It's anime, construed in such a way as to apparently indicate that raccoons get it on with little girls sharing their ears and fondness for plush as a means of propagating their cool axe wielding species. I've seen way, way more controversial material come out of Asia. It's honestly just fluffy Asian game design that isn't intended to make your first thougt be "Pedo-Bait", but which apparently does anyways. It's rather meant to appeal to girly girls who love being girly and who love animals. The ladies could do with more clothing though, some of them aren't even dressed for combat.

As for this game, it's cool enough, something I will keep my eye on, even with my near undying affection growing for Guild Wars 2. Thing about that and it being free to play after retail purchase, it's easier to replace WoW with a sub based MMO such as this appears to be and be able to play both without killing my wallet. I will definately be watching this game.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    KaeKae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ChairLegofTruth.jpg

This thread requires THE CHAIR LEG OF TRUTH.

As much as people may want to explain the little girl's appearance away as Asian culture (because they're so inscrutable and exotic and everything), Lolicon is a fetish in Japan. Men get off on seeing little girls dressed in that way. In its own cultural context, it's not the sweet, innocent image that everyone is making it out to be.
    It's like the underage teens who wear Playboy gear in the West. Just because something has been commodified, it doesn't mean that it's been desexualised.

Besides, as a woman, I find it creepy as hell that adult men want to play as little girls. The only exception is Annie in League of Legends, and that should only be because Tibbers ravages the enemies AND NOT ANNIE.

Kae on
    LOTRO: Main: Merewin, Filthy Alt: Melilotte

PSN: GetMediaeval
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well I prefer "original" over "generic". Which is why I'd rather play as a tiny girl with an axe than "Generic brute Human no.23"

well at least children in MMO's is new to me

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    Well I prefer "original" over "generic". Which is why I'd rather play as a tiny girl with an axe than "Generic brute Human no.23"

Technically, she isn't a child. She's meant to be a grown woman but I suspect she's a grown woman in much the same way that certain characters in eroge are. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. SHE'S TOTALLY EIGHTEEN, YOU ALL.

She's not even that original. Loli animal-girl is a huge, huge stereotype. I'd be much more interested if they came up with a new idea for playing as a child. Like Stephenson's Mouse Army in the Diamond Age, who are tiny girls, vicious killers, and not at all sexualised.

Kae on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Kae wrote: »

Technically, she isn't a child. She's meant to be a grown woman but I suspect she's a grown woman in much the same way that certain characters in eroge are. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. SHE'S TOTALLY EIGHTEEN, YOU ALL.
    Suspension of disbelief, bro. Practice it. ;)

Forcing fiction to adhere to your personal worldview bastardizes the message and the story the fiction carries.

MarkJW on

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Forcing fiction to adhere to your personal worldview bastardizes the message and the story the fiction carries.

Yes, let us not bastardize and sully the noble message of underaged looking girls getting it on with raccoons.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Yes, let us not bastardize and sully the noble message of underaged looking girls getting it on with raccoons.

That is some win right there.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

This. Heaven forbid I cast aspersions on the fine, literary tradition that is lolicon.

Besides, I'm a grad student in English. I challenge the assumptions of fiction for a living. :P

Kae on

• Options
    rtylershawrtylershaw Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

This. Heaven forbid I cast aspersions on the fine, literary tradition that is lolicon.

Besides, I'm a grad student in English. I challenge the assumptions of fiction for a living. :P
    How's that pay?

rtylershaw on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    rtylershaw wrote: »

How's that pay?

About as well as you'd expect. Which is to say not very.

Kae on

• Options
    ScapesScapes Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    Giant wall of quotes and replies... GO!
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Good to see another inside man on the forums. Welcome!

I hope you can keep us updated on any important stuff concerning the game and its development <3
    Hello to you as well! Filling the Penny Arcade forums with TERA threads ain't my style but I'd be glad to answer questions others ask.
    Scapes, weren't you on the Hellgate Guru forums until that whole thing went tits up?
    Aye, the same. Was Flagship Studios' Community Manager after Hellgate: London's launch and up to the "mandatory all-hands meeting now" moment.
    That's pretty awesome that you can actively dodge attacks. I always found it bemusing in MMOs at how arrows would curve around following you, clipping through the ground to unerringly find its target simply because the dice-roll scored a hit when the attack was keyed.
    Arrows just love you that much. Anecdote time: when I was interviewing with En Masse Entertainment, I got to sit down with the title I was going to be working with. Rolled a Castanic sorceress, leveled a bit, got a new skill called Blastball which allowed you to hold the casting button to charge it up for increased damage. Eager to try it out, I find the nearest mob, line up my shot, charge up Blastball to full capacity. Giant crackling blue sphere erupts from my character towards this giant Ghilliedhu (Ent-like tree creature). The tree turns to face the projectile, moves out of the way, and proceeds to chase me around the newbie area. Moral of the story is that while you can dodge attacks, your enemies are just as capable.
    You know, it's annoyed me in the past, but I think this might be the first game ever I won't play specifically because of their depiction of women. I wasn't aware I had a line for that particular topic but this game managed to blow right past it.
    We've had a number of passionate discussions on the official TERA forums regarding this topic.
    Avynte wrote: »
    This looks really awesome.

I hope it doesn't turn out quite as horribly grindy as Aion or L2 though.
    This is where En Masse Entertainment comes in. We're not only localizing TERA, we're Westernizing the game. This is a comprehensive array of changes addressing balance, progression, story, and dialogue. Many of our team previously worked at NCSoft on Aion and will be applying that player experience to the Westernization of TERA.
    -SPI- wrote: »
    That just sounds like "Prepare to be fucked by lag"
    With the gameplay of TERA focusing on position and timing, latency is indeed key. We are already taking steps to ensure a quality experience for players regardless of geographical location. Specifics aren't available at this time as you might imagine but I'd encourage you to give us our shot.
    First off, this thread's OP copy/pasted some of the first post's text from a thread I made over on SA's (SomethingAwful.com) forums. I don't take offense to this, it just entertains me greatly. :winky:

What's even better is that Scapes is here too!
    Sup, Mark! Must admit, didn't notice the Something Awful thread.
    The game looks incredible. But the combat looks incredibly awkward. I hope there's an open beta.
    The game's appearance is brought to you by the talent of more than 100 artists at Bluehole Studio and powered by the Unreal 3 engine. The best way to comprehend the combat is to actually experience it firsthand. Barring that, check out the many gameplay videos on YouTube from Closed Beta Test 3 in Korea. We estimate Open Beta testing will be held closer to TERA's release.

To address the Popori discussion that's unfolded, new lore details we share in the future will help to better explain the history and origin of the race.
    -- Scapes

Scapes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

You didn't read my "it's magic, not sex" post up there, did you? Le sigh. Here it is again: it is assumed that, like the Baraka, Popori reproduce magically.

I'm sure Scapes will correct my conjecture if it's wrong, of course. :)

MarkJW on

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • Options
    edited May 2010

You didn't read my "it's magic, not sex" post up there, did you? Le sigh. Here it is again: it is assumed that, like the Baraka, Popori reproduce magically.

I'm pretty sure you're not realizing we don't give a fuck about lore. Lore is the excuse, it's not why they are designed the way they are. Believing any different is just being a silly goose.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lore is how one rationalizes having over-developed, sexualized 9 year olds in a game. If that's all it takes for you to be able to sleep at night...

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Just because they reproduce asexually in lore doesn't mean that they aren't reflecting a sexual fetish in real life.

Given that almost every other woman in the game is wearing the equivalent of dental floss and a big smile, I'm not convinced that lore was first and foremost on the devs' minds when they designed the lolicoon.

Kae on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Lore is how one rationalizes having over-developed, sexualized 9 year olds in a game. If that's all it takes for you to be able to sleep at night...
    Yes, lore is pretty much all the explanation I will ever need. In fact, lore is probably my favorite part about a game, not the actual gameplay.

EDIT: Since when did games stop being games and start to become social commentary? I am disappointed. :(

MarkJW on

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: Since when did games stop being games and start to become social commentary? I am disappointed. :(

First you're concerned about the "message", now you're bemoaning about when "games stopped being games"?

reVerse on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We have a dev in here? Dev, I would actually truly and sincerely like you to justify bringing lolicon into your game, and trying to have anyone seriously approach it as anything other than a bit of cultural tourism while glancing at the crazy ideas in Asian game land.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looks pretty and the combat is nice, sure... but any word on whether it'll fall into the korean-mmo pit of "grind for hours til your eyes bleed and then you hit level 2?"

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

First you're concerned about the "message", now you're bemoaning about when "games stopped being games"? Hypocrite.
    You've got me confused, bro. How is that hypocritical? Games are works of fiction, not social commentary. Games are games. Social commentary is the Ed/Op page in your local newspaper.
    Aistan wrote: »
    Looks pretty and the combat is nice, sure... but any word on whether it'll fall into the korean-mmo pit of "grind for hours til your eyes bleed and then you hit level 2?"
    Heh, depends on your definition of grind. I didn't experience mob grind from level 1 to level 20-something (so from beginning to end of FGT2). If you do all the quests, including repeatables, you'll get all the EXP you need to advance. However, some people might call this quest grind and thus we're back to square one. So what do you think is grind? :)

MarkJW on

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • Options
    edited May 2010

First you're concerned about the "message", now you're bemoaning about when "games stopped being games"?

Leave him be, it's funny watching him roll back the goal posts some more.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Heh, depends on your definition of grind. I didn't experience mob grind from level 1 to level 20-something (so from beginning to end of FGT2). If you do all the quests, including repeatables, you'll get all the EXP you need to advance. However, some people might call this quest grind and thus we're back to square one. So what do you think is grind? :)

That's more acceptable to me, since it's at least approaching a reasonable level of content, rather than having a few droplets of content and spreading it over a large surface area.

Of course, if the quests are simply "go here and kill 20 of these then come back" then it falls into the same trap. But then we get into a discussion of the type of balance that every mmo needs to try and manage, so i'll simply say i'm glad to hear that it's not "stand here and kill 5,000 wolves while they respawn, alongside half the population of the server." :o

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes, lore is pretty much all the explanation I will ever need. In fact, lore is probably my favorite part about a game, not the actual gameplay.

You're on the Penny Arcade forums. Tycho always talks about how games are an art form. If they are art, they're open to the same kind of criticism as literature, poetry and paintings. Part of that criticism involves looking at their social dimensions.

Kae on

• Options
    edited May 2010

That's more acceptable to me, since it's at least approaching a reasonable level of content, rather than having a few droplets of content and spreading it over a large surface area.

Of course, if the quests are simply "go here and kill 20 of these then come back" then it falls into the same trap. But then we get into a discussion of the type of balance that every mmo needs to try and manage, so i'll simply say i'm glad to hear that it's not "stand here and kill 5,000 wolves while they respawn, alongside half the population of the server." :o
    Oh, trust me, there were plenty of kill/deliver/gather and other similar quests to do. I just had too much fun as an Archer shooting things to really care. The best quests are the instanced ones, like the fairy escort mission. ;)

You're on the Penny Arcade forums. Tycho always talks about how games are an art form. If they are art, they're open to the same kind of criticism as literature, poetry and paintings. Part of that criticism involves looking at their social dimensions.
    So one man's definition of art is the rule around here? Am I supposed to hop on the bandwagon and consider the all games I enjoy as works of art? I'm too busy having fun and actually playing games to care, honestly.

MarkJW on

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't think the discussion about whether the female girls are lolicon or not is really appropriate for this thread. I think it's more a D&D thing. Please take that discussion there as it's really starting to get annoying having the entire thread turn into people saying "yes it is!" and "no, it's not!" over and over again.

Either that or just agree to disagree.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't think the discussion about whether the female girls are lolicon or not is really appropriate for this thread. I think it's more a D&D thing. Please take that discussion there as it's really starting to get annoying having the entire thread turn into people saying "yes it is!" and "no, it's not!" over and over again.

Either that or just agree to disagree.

So... we aren't allowed to discuss all aspects of a videogame? Funny, I figured I'd have seen Tube announce a rule change like that.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Careful fellows. If there's one thing the mods here hate it's non-mods speaking for them and the rules. If there's any violations they'll take care of it. We're just here to talk about things that come to mind w/r/t a particular topic, be that unholy grinds or 9 year-old racoon girls :)

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I would think that when the game's trailer features more bare skin than game play, talking about that bare skin is just as relevant to the thread as every other aspect of the game.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I wasn't saying any rules were being broken. Just saying that it was annoying that a thread about an upcoming MMO with a very beautiful game engine and interesting new combat style turned into some debate about what is socially acceptable with videogame women. Pretty sure there's already a thread about that topic too and it's been beaten to death. It's almost as bad as the PC vs Console debate IMO.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well the game design is projecting a very common theme, it's natural that the discussion would pick that up. the combat is interesting yes, I find the visuals to be pretty good as well. But the clothing is pretty revealing, and departs from sensual to more of a trashy look.

In my opinion at least. It is something that plagues a lot of games and I don't think it is odd that it would come up in this thread considering they are most certainly using it as a selling point for the game, and are marketing towards a certain demographic.

That being said there are only 4 pages on this thread, I'm sure the topic will change eventually, and almost as certainly come back to this topic. It is something people are very opinionated on.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I wasn't saying any rules were being broken. Just saying that it was annoying that a thread about an upcoming MMO with a very beautiful game engine and interesting new combat style turned into some debate about what is socially acceptable with videogame women. Pretty sure there's already a thread about that topic too and it's been beaten to death. It's almost as bad as the PC vs Console debate IMO.
    On that note: TERA will support gamepads natively in the future and already kinda supports them via third-party software. The game plays pretty well on a gamepad, too. Almost like it was made for it...

It's a conspiracy!

MarkJW on

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums