As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gulf Coast Oil]: Spill, Baby Spill. Volunteer Info at the top of OP

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LOL, at least you don't have to stand and listen to, and I kid you not, this conversation:

dude: "What's up with Obama? All these attempted terrorists attack and a successful attack on a oil rig, Bush kept us much safer!"

me: "You mean, if you don't take in account of 9/11? Also, the oil rig wasn't a terrorist attack."

Dude: "Well...umm...2007 and onwards, Bush was doing things right!"

Casually Hardcore on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Oh god, I just had long facebook debate with a stupid conservative friend of mine and one of his buddies. Thanks to my years of bare-knuckle arguing here on PA, I made them give up. Thanks, PA Forums!

Seriously, though, the idiots were doing the whole "Obama's Katrina" bullshit and were just so upset that anyone had the temerity to disagree. I really question why I continue to be friends with that guy.

Let's look at it this way. Obama sent more cabinet members than Bush sent for all of FEMA

nexuscrawler on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh god, I just had long facebook debate with a stupid conservative friend of mine and one of his buddies. Thanks to my years of bare-knuckle arguing here on PA, I made them give up. Thanks, PA Forums!

Seriously, though, the idiots were doing the whole "Obama's Katrina" bullshit and were just so upset that anyone had the temerity to disagree. I really question why I continue to be friends with that guy.

Let's look at it this way. Obama sent more cabinet members than Bush sent for all of FEMA

There is seriously no parallel there. It's a ridiculous stretch and one of the more disgusting examples of tit-for-tat politics I've seen recently.

Drake on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drake wrote: »

There is seriously no parallel there. It's a ridiculous stretch and one of the more disgusting examples of tit-for-tat politics I've seen recently.

Also, weren't the Coast Guard on the scene in a day or so? And aren't the Coast Guard part of the federal government?

Lawndart on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People blamed Bush for not being more proactive in the rescue and relief effort.

They don't blame Bush for being unable to stop the hurricane.

Schrodinger on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People blamed Bush for not being more proactive in the rescue and relief effort.

They don't blame Bush for being unable to stop the hurricane.

Also don't forget, "Doing a hell of a job, Brownie!"

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grombar on
    edited May 2010
    That right there is going in the OP. Thanks for posting it.

Drake on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dude, Wheeler have the fucking power to

MELT EVERYBODIES FACES!!!

Fucking WoW Shadow Priest style. Colonel Roy Mustang without the gloves.

Of course, Wheeler never does that. He always do something stupid like melting the car tires so they wont get away, instead of just roasting everybody in the car.

Betcha' wish you wore a bib...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grombar wrote: »

Considering that one of the people I was arguing with about this issue basically said "the people in power [ie the media] aren't going to tell you the truth", I rather doubt that this would be taken as credible. This same person claimed to be an expert on what was going on because he's a remote submersible operator...that's not even working on this fucking situation.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    look

even if we demonstrably and undeniably prove that obama acted quickly

what is stopping the retards from going "ok he acted quickly but he did the wrong things and made it worse!!!"

this is politics, where cognitive bias > facts

Protein Shakes on
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Article in the Houston Chronicle today outlining a new tactical idea for sealing the well.
    The runaway well spewing crude into the Gulf of Mexico might be sealed within as little as two weeks using a new, untested approach that has emerged in the last two days, BP CEO Tony Hayward told the Houston Chronicle today.

The method, which he called “top kill,” involves reconfiguring existing wellhead equipment to provide a conduit for pumping heavy fluids into the well. That would stop the flow and allow for a permanent seal, Hayward said during a visit to the BP operations center in west Houston that is headquarters for the spill response.

In an odd twist, the possible fix would use the blowout preventer that may have failed April 20 when a sudden burst of high-pressure hydrocarbons apparently blew out from the well and up to the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, triggering a fire and explosion that killed 11 workers. The method has been used before to seal wells after blowouts on land, but has not been tried at the depths of the Macondo well on which the Deepwater Horizon was working.

The wellhead is under 5,000 feet of water and taps a reservoir 18,000 feet below the seabed.

In addition to laying out the possibility of a new tactic for sealing the well, Hayward clarified another BP executive's statement Tuesday that the well could pour as much as 60,000 barrels of oil a day into the Gulf, 12 times the current official estimate of 5,000 barrels, or about 210,000 gallons.

The higher figure, Hayward said, represented an “absolute worst case scenario,” if the well were flowing totally unobstructed. Oil now is leaking from a pipe called a riser that had connected the well with the rig above. The riser, lying crimped on the ocean floor, is helping impede the speed of the flow, as is the damaged blowout preventer sitting atop the well head, which appears to be partially closed, he said.

Hayward acknowledged that no one knows the exact flow rate now.

“A guesstimate is a guesstimate. And the guesstimate remains 5,000 barrels a day,” Hayward said.

BP said earlier today it had sealed off one of three leaks in well equipment feeding the massive oil slick on the surface. But officials said the move was not expected to reduce the volume of oil coming from the well.

Hayward said the while the “top kill” option “has come to the fore” in the last 48 hours, engineers are continuing with plans to put a giant containment box over the leaks to gather the oil and send it to surface vessels. The short-term solution, which is being carried by ship today to the well site, should be operational by the weekend, he said. But he cautioned that because such an option has never been tried at these water depths, there could be some trial and error involved early on. “This will not work perfectly at all when we first do it,” Hayward said.

Meanwhile, the company also continues moving forward on a last-resort method of permanently sealing the well. A rig has begun drilling a new well to intercept the existing one and plug it.

N1tSt4lker on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Article in the Houston Chronicle today outlining a new tactical idea for sealing the well.
    The runaway well spewing crude into the Gulf of Mexico might be sealed within as little as two weeks using a new, untested approach that has emerged in the last two days, BP CEO Tony Hayward told the Houston Chronicle today.

The method, which he called “top kill,” involves reconfiguring existing wellhead equipment to provide a conduit for pumping heavy fluids into the well. That would stop the flow and allow for a permanent seal, Hayward said during a visit to the BP operations center in west Houston that is headquarters for the spill response.

In an odd twist, the possible fix would use the blowout preventer that may have failed April 20 when a sudden burst of high-pressure hydrocarbons apparently blew out from the well and up to the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, triggering a fire and explosion that killed 11 workers. The method has been used before to seal wells after blowouts on land, but has not been tried at the depths of the Macondo well on which the Deepwater Horizon was working.

The wellhead is under 5,000 feet of water and taps a reservoir 18,000 feet below the seabed.

In addition to laying out the possibility of a new tactic for sealing the well, Hayward clarified another BP executive's statement Tuesday that the well could pour as much as 60,000 barrels of oil a day into the Gulf, 12 times the current official estimate of 5,000 barrels, or about 210,000 gallons.

The higher figure, Hayward said, represented an “absolute worst case scenario,” if the well were flowing totally unobstructed. Oil now is leaking from a pipe called a riser that had connected the well with the rig above. The riser, lying crimped on the ocean floor, is helping impede the speed of the flow, as is the damaged blowout preventer sitting atop the well head, which appears to be partially closed, he said.

“A guesstimate is a guesstimate. And the guesstimate remains 5,000 barrels a day,” Hayward said.

BP said earlier today it had sealed off one of three leaks in well equipment feeding the massive oil slick on the surface. But officials said the move was not expected to reduce the volume of oil coming from the well.

Hayward said the while the “top kill” option “has come to the fore” in the last 48 hours, engineers are continuing with plans to put a giant containment box over the leaks to gather the oil and send it to surface vessels. The short-term solution, which is being carried by ship today to the well site, should be operational by the weekend, he said. But he cautioned that because such an option has never been tried at these water depths, there could be some trial and error involved early on. “This will not work perfectly at all when we first do it,” Hayward said.

Meanwhile, the company also continues moving forward on a last-resort method of permanently sealing the well. A rig has begun drilling a new well to intercept the existing one and plug it.

NES Pipe Dreams physics?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »

Also, weren't the Coast Guard on the scene in a day or so? And aren't the Coast Guard part of the federal government?

Yeah but you can say the same about Katrina. We're fast and agile and no one really knows what we're up to. In Katrina we just started getting shit done without someone higher up telling us to.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Brownie's doing a heckuva job saying that this is a crisis that Obama wants.

In other news, I guess tomorrow they'll attempt to drop that "dome" over the wellhead. Hopefully that works out.

SteevL on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://www.businessinsider.com/sarah-palins-hilarious-answer-to-the-oil-spill-dont-trust-foreign-oil-companies-2010-5
    According to Sarah Palin, the REAL problem behind the Deepwater Horizon oil spill is that BP is foreign (British).
    palin.png

Couscous on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I haven't really been keeping up on this.

How bad is it exactly? Is it getting better, or worse?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited May 2010
    So, question about the "dome." If I'm understanding things correctly, we drop this dome on top of the leak, and they we're going to pump out the oil as it collects in the dome. What are we doing with the oil? Putting it in the strategic reserves? Selling it on the market to help pay for cleanup?

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited May 2010

Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie... thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.businessinsider.com/sarah-palins-hilarious-answer-to-the-oil-spill-dont-trust-foreign-oil-companies-2010-5
    According to Sarah Palin, the REAL problem behind the Deepwater Horizon oil spill is that BP is foreign (British).
    palin.png

Damn you King George!

Yall on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wouldn't the weight of the water pressing down on it be stronger than anything we could pump in?

MKR on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Huh, if you remove the word "foreign" from that it's the most sane thing she's ever said.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But the single word is exactly what makes it as batshit as normal. (If you take the implication that all domestic oil companies are 100% on the up and up)

Magus` on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie... thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

That's a big twinkie.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    Wouldn't the weight of the water pressing down on it be stronger than anything we could pump in?
    If I'm understanding the dome idea correctly, no need for a pump. The oil is at 12,000 PSI, the water is only at like 2300. The trick is to make sure the dome will have enough weight/downward pressure to contain the oil and force it up the pipe, and also keep the oil from leaking out the bottom. The dome+the pipe should then fill with oil, which can be dumped into a tanker or something.

http://inhabitat.com/2010/05/05/first-oil-containment-dome-shipped-to-deepwater-horizon-spill/

has a much better explanation than what i just wrote.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If I'm understanding the dome idea correctly, no need for a pump. The oil is at 12,000 PSI, the water is only at like 2300. The trick is to make sure the dome will have enough weight/downward pressure to contain the oil and force it up the pipe, and also keep the oil from leaking out the bottom. The dome+the pipe should then fill with oil, which can be dumped into a tanker or something.

http://inhabitat.com/2010/05/05/first-oil-containment-dome-shipped-to-deepwater-horizon-spill/

Talking about the notion of pumping stuff in to stop the leak.

MKR on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Magus` wrote: »
    But the single word is exactly what makes it as batshit as normal. (If you take the implication that all domestic oil companies are 100% on the up and up)

Exxon spilled a jillion gallons of oil in Alaska.
    Exxon is originally from Ohio, ia direct descendant of Standard Oil. It's currently headquartered in Texas.
    Therefore, the lesson of Alaska is to not trust foreign oil companies?

What am I missing here?

Did the Alaskan Indpendence Party actually succeed and secede without anyone knowing about it?

Is Palin learning geography from Fox News?
    fail-owned-egypt-location-fail.jpg
    fox-news-geography-fail-15088-1267373960-168.jpg

BubbaT on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

That's a big twinkie.

I read somewhere that a twinkie that size would actually weigh something like 3-4 tons.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited May 2010

Talking about the notion of pumping stuff in to stop the leak.

Cement is denser than water so it will sink. IDK how they manage to actually get the cement to stay/set in the well, and not just get blasted right out, but they seal exploratory wells all the time, so I'm sure theres some procedure for it.
    edit: Its actually pretty obvious how they seal the well, as a 22,000 ft tall tower of concrete easily has 12,000 PSI of force behind it.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010

That's a big twinkie.

I read somewhere that a twinkie that size would actually weigh something like 3-4 tons.

I thought that myself, but after watching the clip I put it back.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ohgod.

that Egypt map. That can't be correct.

They really didn't do that?

lonelyahava on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    palin.png
    She wouldn't want us to "VERIFY" with regulation, though, would she? She'd just want us to use "common sense".

His Corkiness on
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't been following this. Have they blocked the leak yet?

Protein Shakes on
    edited May 2010
    I haven't been following this. Have they blocked the leak yet?

They managed to seal 1 minor leak from the rig(1 other leak+ the well itself remaining). The first of the domes is being shipped there right now and figure to have it deployed by the end of the weekend, but they aren't even sure it will work. They have started drilling the relief well, but that will take a couple months, even if they hit it the first time.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The one with Sydney in the wrong place is even more baffling to me. Not really because of Sydney, either, but because of the bizarre assortment of locations deemed worthy of HUGE CAPTIONS. Easter Island? Chile? What on earth was this originally about, anyway?

nescientist on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, question about the "dome." If I'm understanding things correctly, we drop this dome on top of the leak, and they we're going to pump out the oil as it collects in the dome. What are we doing with the oil? Putting it in the strategic reserves? Selling it on the market to help pay for cleanup?

Probably not? That oil will have been contaminated by sea water and god knows what else, because it won't be a perfect seal. I imagine it'll be like regular oil spill oil which is largely unrecoverable, but maybe it'll be a lower level of contamination?

hippofant on
    edited May 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

Exxon spilled a jillion gallons of oil in Alaska.
    Exxon is originally from Ohio, ia direct descendant of Standard Oil. It's currently headquartered in Texas.
    Therefore, the lesson of Alaska is to not trust foreign oil companies?

What am I missing here?

Did the Alaskan Indpendence Party actually succeed and secede without anyone knowing about it?

Is Palin learning geography from Fox News?
    fail-owned-egypt-location-fail.jpg
    fox-news-geography-fail-15088-1267373960-168.jpg

Gee, aren't you paying attention? It was the Exxon-Valdez. Obviously an immigrant tanker that took a job from an Exxon-Frank or an Exxon-Tom.

And that map is epic.

Drake on
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hippofant wrote: »

Probably not? That oil will have been contaminated by sea water and god knows what else, because it won't be a perfect seal. I imagine it'll be like regular oil spill oil which is largely unrecoverable, but maybe it'll be a lower level of contamination?

They can remove the salt and water from the oil...in fact pumping sea water down into oil reserves to increase oil production is not too uncommon...at least for the ones "past their prime"

Kruite on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

Rest assured that the crisis is in the capable hands of a dude who uses the word 'guesstimate'.

Yeah.

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.