As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Punishment Is Absolute

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I loved the piano bits, but the vocals were a little bit intense!

EDIT: It's a weird request I know, but I always love it when melodic metal bands do slower numbers.

A particular favourite (although not of this type) is the song Whoracle

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm a little confused, surreality.

Do you want classically influenced black metal, with a lot of sweeping synth/piano in a minor key?

Or do you want 'folk' metal, with the same...

You'll find the piano a lot more in black metal I feel, or the more major chord charging glorious folk metal.

autothrall on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do you want classically influenced black metal, with a lot of sweeping synth/piano in a minor key?

Or do you want 'folk' metal, with the same...

You'll find the piano a lot more in black metal I feel, or the more major chord charging glorious folk metal.

Oh, either. Just no major key chords!

My whole viewpoint of metal is deeply skewed by the fact I was forced to play the piano from the age of 4 onwards, and only ever really liked the romantics (eg Chopin Granados Rachmaninov etc).

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 2010
    Then perhaps I can get your opinion on THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyayloODWrc

From one of my favorite metal albums of all time :)

(Ignore the later slides, this particular track is from Deception Ignored which is quite different than their other records).

autothrall on
    edited May 2010
    It was fantastic and then I got ambushed at 1:05 lol

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 2010
    Well, that would be the METAL part.

Ya know o_O

(Keep listening. I'll make a thrasher out of ye whippersnappers if it kills me!)

Try some Lumsk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFfuq_1iJA

autothrall on
    edited May 2010
    Didn't mean it like that, I had just assumed the whole track was a piano instrumental (don't know why), so when it jumped at me with no warning I did a bit of a double take.

Most of it is skirting a little bit too close to chaos for me to interpret properly. There are moments where I think I'm getting it then it breaks down again (I'm not saying this as an absolute statement, just that I don't have the right mental machinery to interpret the sounds properly).

EDIT: 6:45 - 7:00 is something I like

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 2010

Most of it is skirting a little bit too close to chaos for me to interpret properly. There are moments where I think I'm getting it then it breaks down again (I'm not saying this as an absolute statement, just that I don't have the right mental machinery to interpret the sounds properly).

To be fair, that's probably one of the more complex albums of its time, and I can see how the production would be a little damp since it was 1989. Very underrated, but definitely chaotic, as its exploring all manner of drugs, machinery, and psychosis. Even the band Deathrow themselves don't look highly upon this album, preferring the safer, messier thrash of their old albums. However, THEY ARE WRONG. It's like an errant slice of genius, some would-be great poet or painter left out in the cold too long in a drunken stupor, then frozen to death, his masterworks festering away in some dank cellar, unknown to the greater world.

Try the folk band I just posted. Totally different. They do have some more metallic tracks, and a lot of morose pianos.

Might be something you'd like!

autothrall on
    edited May 2010
    Also, the keyboard/programmer Xytras from the Swiss band Samael, to accompany their masterpiece Passage, included an entire version of the album with only pianos (which the material was composed on).

There might be a lot you like here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecVMNTVQWzQ&feature=related

Forgive the Youtube sound quality, it sucks.

I prefer with the actual metal instruments/vocals, but the piano versions are sweet too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtlnsjVDV4c

autothrall on
    edited May 2010
    I am off to nom some food but I shall definitely check those out when I get back. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm quite an odd fish when it comes to metal so if anything sticks it's a win!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh shit. Katatonia is coming to the US in the fall.

Also, Surreality, you might like Primordial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvuXdhnieA

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I didn't know this finally got a legit release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoWt8uqcoq0

Sheep on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah shit, Heaven and Hell pulled outta the Maiden gig. Apparently Ronnie wasn't up for it :(

Tav on
  • GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can I get some good stoner metal recommendations, I already listen to Electric Wizard, and Bongzilla, and I wanna get into more bands like that, so I can have a bigger playlist while I'm drawin and painting while baked.

GreyHunter316 on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    New Keep of Kalessin tracks on their myspace from their new album coming out this week. Can't wait

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How about some Bohren & der Club of Gore for Black Metal Jazz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zkN74s72M&a=CGgjNXn2MFw&playnext_from=ML

MadnessBA on
    edited May 2010
    Can I get some good stoner metal recommendations, I already listen to Electric Wizard, and Bongzilla, and I wanna get into more bands like that, so I can have a bigger playlist while I'm drawin and painting while baked.

High on Fire, Sleep, Mammatus, Fu Man Chu, Nebula, Sixty Watt Shaman, Eternal Elysium, Blood Ceremony, The Sword...?

autothrall on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MadnessBA wrote: »
    I think you meant doom metal there.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    thanks, I recognize High on Fire, gonna check out the rest of those bands tonight.

GreyHunter316 on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hail new thread!

Jumping back to the last one:
    They try and justify their dislike for a majority of bands by citing that they lack any artistic merit and that their material does nothing but satisfy primal, thoughtless emotions, without looking to express an artistic, well-thought out message.

However, if you expand your vision in a way they don't agree with, they'll slam you for being a hipster band. Also, you can't put your artistic message before your music; so, do and don't do what they want. One must also not be political in your message, unless your right-wing political, but then you can only be in a certain group of right-wing bands.

Also, depending on the time of the day, black metal is either about fighting oppression and society through individualism, or it's about being part of a collective who are battling against a large collective (mainstream society) that they don't agree with.

But that definition depends on what time of day you visit their forums. Also, you can't be political about it.

Well, maybe you can. I don't know what time of day it is and what rules apply.

Idiots. Black metal is obviously about invoking the quintessence of Satan via sonic warfare in the name of the Six Horns; locking sights on the lambs of god and spiritually carpet-bombing them for the Unchrist.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited May 2010
    I see it in simpler terms:

Black Metal ist Nekrokvlt.

METAzraeL on

edited May 2010
    Fallout wrote: »

Idiots. Black metal is obviously about invoking the quintessence of Satan via sonic warfare in the name of the Six Horns; locking sights on the lambs of god and spiritually carpet-bombing them for the Unchrist.

You'd be surprised actually at how accurate this is.

Also, is 'Unchrist' taken for a band name yet? Get on that.

autothrall on
    edited May 2010
    krieg

Tav on
  • MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    MadnessBA wrote: »
    I think you meant doom metal there.

<_<
    >_>

maybe

Don't kick me out! I'll be good from now on! I promise...

MadnessBA on
    edited May 2010
    Just namedropping them is good in my book. Bohren are surprisingly riveting live - I was half expecting to get bored watching them, but that's not the case at all.

METAzraeL on

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    'Unchrist' (USBM) has 655 plays on last.fm, 'Negachrist' is unused.

e: Here they are.

L|ama on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    autothrall wrote: »

High on Fire, Sleep, Mammatus, Fu Man Chu, Nebula, Sixty Watt Shaman, Eternal Elysium, Blood Ceremony, The Sword...?

HoF isn't really stoner metal anymore.

Other stuff is good though. Should check out Sons of Otis, Bongripper, Goatsnake, Weedeater, Kyuss, and most definitely Core's album The Hustle is On.

Sheep on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Even more stoner stuff: Acid King, Across Tundras, Church of Misery, Monster Magnet, Witch (first album)

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    Ah shit, Heaven and Hell pulled outta the Maiden gig. Apparently Ronnie wasn't up for it :(

It really did seem too good to be true. With regards to Dio, I know a lot of people in here don't really think he is that important but I have quite a bit of respect for him. I loved his stuff with Rainbow and Sabbath.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Maiden though. Fingers crossed that the support isn't Lauren Harris. It'll probably be a band from Sonicsphere.

Rotam on
    edited May 2010
    Rotam wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

It really did seem too good to be true. With regards to Dio, I know a lot of people in here don't really think he is that important but I have quite a bit of respect for him. I loved his stuff with Rainbow and Sabbath.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Maiden though. Fingers crossed that the support isn't Lauren Harris. It'll probably be a band from Sonicsphere.

If it's Rise To Remain, I'm gonna be pissed.

If it's someone from Sonisphere.... uh, I dunno.... Pendulum? Ugh, this isn't gonna a good opener. I can feel it in my bones.

Tav on
    edited May 2010
    Pendulum opening for Maiden would be pretty awesome.

L|ama on
  • Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man really been liking the power/doom stuff lately. Especially stuff like Grand Magus and Ironsword. And by Satan's unholy nutsack Hooded Justice is good.

Shock G on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    Even more stoner stuff: Acid King, Across Tundras, Church of Misery, Monster Magnet, Witch (first album)

I'll toss my hat in for Acid Kind and The Sword. Good stuff.

UEAKCrash on
    edited May 2010
    Taking the day off from reviews, but tomorrow the scanning shall begin.

New Nevermore!

autothrall on
    edited May 2010
    New Sotajumala song up, also on their new split with Deathchain. Pretty good - the vocals are nice and low - but it's an average mid-paced number without enough swagger or menace to fill it out. There's also a Maiden cover on the split with clean vocals, which is weird. Looks like their new album comes out the same week as Aeon's, guess we'll see if this year's general musical malaise takes two more victims.

METAzraeL on

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This past week, going back to Metallica for a bit, I re-discovered a few songs from Black that I've never given much of a listen to before. Don't Tread on Me, My Friend of Misery, and The Struggle Within. Not sure why I haven't picked up on them before, but holy fuck The Struggle Within is sweet.

I've grown to like Black a lot more this last little while.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • valfathervalfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So Enslaved is my favorite band, and recently they mentioned on Facebook that they're mixing the new album with Jens Bogren right now. Not recognizing the name, I looked him up and promptly wet myself a little. Turns out a good chunk of my favorite albums from the last few years have been produced/mixed by him and the other stuff he's done I at least love the production on, if not always the music itself. So yeah, looking forward to this even more now, heh.

On a related note, I wish the rest of this Blackstar Halo album he worked on was as catchy as the title track is.

valfather on
    edited May 2010
    New Exodus is pretty weak, but then, so weren't the last two.

The new Anathema is interesting, as they've now incorporated a lot of driving, British rock or post-rock style into their sound (even more than before). Half the time I feel I'm listening to Muse or Dredg, and honestly half of these songs are the kind you could hear on the radio alongside Coldplay and friends, but it's decent.

Scanner discog in the bag. Bam bam bam bam. Next week I'll head back to Sweden for some hyper thrash you can crash your car to.

autothrall on
    edited May 2010
    valfather wrote: »
    So Enslaved is my favorite band, and recently they mentioned on Facebook that they're mixing the new album with Jens Bogren right now. Not recognizing the name, I looked him up and promptly wet myself a little. Turns out a good chunk of my favorite albums from the last few years have been produced/mixed by him and the other stuff he's done I at least love the production on, if not always the music itself. So yeah, looking forward to this even more now, heh.

On a related note, I wish the rest of this Blackstar Halo album he worked on was as catchy as the title track is.

Whoa, how the fuck did he do Eluveitie's latest album in the middle of all that good stuff?

L|ama on