As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Humble Indie Bundle

Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and loveWill die without a homeRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Social Entropy++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Aw5C7WQ6g&feature=player_embedded

The Humble Indie Bundle is a unique kind of bundle that we are trying out.

Pay what you want. If you bought these five games separately, it would cost around $80 but we're letting you set the price!

All of the games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux. We didn't want to leave anyone out.

There is no middle-man. You can rest assured that 100% of your purchase goes directly to the developers and non-profits as you specify (minus credit card fees).

We don't use DRM. When you buy these games, they are yours. Feel free to play them without an internet connection, back them up, and install them on all of your Macs and PCs freely.

Your contribution supports the amazing Child's Play charity and Electronic Frontier Foundation. By default, the amount is split equally between the seven participants (including Child's Play and EFF), but you can tweak the split any way you'd like.

If you don't want to watch the video, you get:

WORLD OF GOO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A_JfkzPwww
AQUARIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqY9mDOw-UI
GISH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRsqid3SWs0
LUGARU HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTxaAj5w-4
PENUMBRA: OVERTURE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQa-oVk3Eoc

EDIT:

Guess what? These motherfuckers just gave you Samorost 2 for free!

SAMOROST 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pZhT3VWsJM&feature=related

Help some devs, help some charities (including Child's Play!)

You can divide how you want to spend your money, as well! It can all go to charity, all to devs, or you can split it.

Or you can customize it.

This is a really neat thing and I wanted to share it with you.

http://www.wolfire.com/humble

2dtr87s.png
SteamID: Baroque And Roll
Baroque And Roll on

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh shiiiiiiiiiiit yes son

TheySlashThem on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh my god the rap in the video

MrMonroe on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This looks pretty awesome, but I have no idea when I'll ever get around to playing these games.

I'll probably buy it anyway.

How did everybody involved in this end up approving that early nineties white rap?

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If I did not pretty much have all of these, I would be down for probably like 20 bucks

PiptheFair on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I already have WoG, but I definitely don't mind rebuying it in this case.

Very nice to see that the average donation is just under $8, and they're probably going to break $100k raised within the hour.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man that rabbit game. I remember that. D:

Synthetic Orange on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that rabbit game seems like some sort of max payne kung fu mod

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    due to previous negative feedback I will not be paying one penny for these games.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I bought World of Goo for like 8 bucks a while back on Steam, but I do want Aquaria and Gish.

George Fornby Grill on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't bought these games but hell yeah I will with this deal. Probably toss for $50 and do a split between devs and charities. I'm surprised at the people who have dropped over $100, one person even dropped $500.

ransim on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So how many people are going to pay a penny

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What the heck is that last one?

Lugaru appears to just be a kung fu rabbit game.

captaink on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've bought most of this games before but I threw $5 in anyway just because it's a cool idea and because they all support Mac

I tried that rabbit game though, that was weird as hell. Kinda fun but it crashed so I probably won't play it again since I'm not sure it saved my progress.

Ten on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So how many people are going to pay a penny

It's averaging just under $8 a sale, so thankfully not too many. They're over $260k in funds raised so far.

Including 20 of my dollars.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got the Penumbra games for cheap a while back but I always end up getting too scared to keep playing them for more than 20 minutes. It's a Lovecraft-inspired horror game but I've never played enough to get a real feel for what it's like.

World of Goo is a lot of fun.

Octopus Melody on
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd do this, but for the moment I only have a dollar to my name and I'd feel like the biggest kind of ass

Silven on
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Silven wrote: »
    I'd do this, but for the moment I only have a dollar to my name and I'd feel like the biggest kind of ass

Dude same here! I would feel like a horrible person for playing less than $15 to be honest.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    due to previous negative feedback I will not be paying one penny for these games.

Whaaa?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    named after me

humble on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm super broke and already have World of Goo, but I just dropped $15 on this and I'm trying to get a few of my room mates to do the same. I don't know much about any of these games, and nothing about that weird rabbit one, but it's just an awesome thing to support so what the hell!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    More reasons to like Marcus.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    More reasons to like Marcus.

You're making me blush!

I have them all downloaded, but I can't stop playing Torchlight. Any of these (other than World of Goo) you'd recommend trying first? I need to stop playing fucking Torchlight!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    well I don't have any of these games but I've been wanting to play them forever so perhaps this would be a good use of my money

Food on
  • ZourtackZourtack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is great

Zourtack on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I picked this up and the rest of the Penumbra series with the coupon that came with. I'm looking forward to starting that series and Aquaria.

Nimble Cat on
  • MafMaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I bought this and started playing Penumbra in the dark and... I don't know if I can do it. That is the creepiest game I have ever played. It is so tense I can't believe it.

Maf on
  • LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I got it for the princely sum of £0.01. I opted to split it between charity and the developers. Not sure how that's going to go. Maybe they'll fight it out over the penny. Actually 1p is like one and a have American cents so that further complicates things.

These people made half a million dollars over the past couple days so I have no problem paying under the average. How much profit is too much, after all? And it cost them $0 to send me those games.

Besides, I give away free intellectual property all the time. People have paid me to write, but I'm writing here totally pro bono. I'm not demanding that people pay me to post.

As for the games themselves...well, Goo is alright. It's like Bridge Builder and I used to play that quite a bit. I think I prefer Bridge Builder, though. Goo seems more simplistic and arcade-like.

I only played Aquaria for a few minutes, but it seems that I'm not in it's target demographic. It looks like a game for girls aged 8-12. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Gish doesn't seem to work for me. I press the space bar and the thing doesn't really jump. I don't know if it's supposed to jump higher or what but I can't get past the first part of level two as a result of this. If it weren't for this, it might be a moderately interesting game.

Lugaru isn't really for me. I don't like games with complicated controls. Do I really want to memorise what key combinations are necessary to do spinning kicks versus tackles versus whatever? No, I don't. Some people like these games, but not me.

I played Penumbra Overture for a few minutes. It seems to be a point and click adventure game. So I left the boat, walked in the snow, used a rock to bash open an underground bunker, then it got dark and scary music played so I quit and started rocking myself while repeating, "It's just a game" over and over. I don't like these "horror" games either.

That last game reminded me of some game I played years ago...can't remember it...but you were in the woods and some werewolf kept chasing you. I'm thinking it was a French game. It was all style over subtance (as most French games are). If anyone can tell me the name, that would be great.

Anyway, none of the games really bowled me over and I have no immediate plans to play any of them in the near future with the possible exception of Goo. Still, I don't have any buyer's remorse over this penny. I feel it was good value for money.

LearnedHand on
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got it for the princely sum of £0.01. I opted to split it between charity and the developers. Not sure how that's going to go. Maybe they'll fight it out over the penny. Actually 1p is like one and a have American cents so that further complicates things.

These people made half a million dollars over the past couple days so I have no problem paying under the average. How much profit is too much, after all? And it cost them $0 to send me those games.

It was for charity... Besides, bandwidth costs money.
    Besides, I give away free intellectual property all the time. People have paid me to write, but I'm writing here totally pro bono. I'm not demanding that people pay me to post.

Good, because I wouldn't pay to read them. Did you really just compare your posts to games people have spent years of their lives making? Someone's got an inflated view of themselves.
    I only played Aquaria for a few minutes, but it seems that I'm not in it's target demographic. It looks like a game for girls aged 8-12. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Play it longer? It's underwater Metroid, and a fairly dark game. You get to slay fallen gods and explore the ruins of lost civilizations.

I'm glad to see this is getting some attention here. That they've managed to raise $560000 for the EFF and Child's Play in just four days is absolutely amazing. This would be a deal worth going for if you only got Aquaria and World of Goo in it.

Klorgnum on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anybody else unable to reach the site? I was gonna pick up the games, cause I think the sale ended today, but I haven't been able to get there all day.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The site loaded fine for me at 9:57 EST. There are still two days and 18 hours left in the sale.

Klorgnum on
    edited May 2010
    It occurs to me that an enterprising person might buy some of these as a gift (at say $0.01) and then sit on (proverbially) for a few weeks or months. Wait until this "Humble Indie Bundle" deal ends and people forget about. Not that many people know about this deal anyway.

Then sell them on Ebay.

As long as you get more than one cent for the whole lot, you're in profit. But realistically, you should divide the games up (which I think is possible) and sell them individually. You should be able to get at least a dollar per game. Probably quite a bit more than that. Maybe up to $10 each.

But let's just assume a dollar. You'd make five dollars on a one cent investment. That's a great return. And if you buy a few of these bundles (but don't get ridiculous here because there's a chance you might get found out...but even then, you'd only be out a few cents) you can really reap in some profits.

I'm pretty sure this is all above board too. I know Valve says you can't resell your Steam accounts but that's shaky legal ground at best. And anyway, this isn't Steam. You're perfectly entitled to resell new or even used software.

If I was bored enough, I'd do this. But I'm not quite there. Somebody else should do it and report on their success, though.

LearnedHand on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think you're going to find anyone else here who wants to fuck over a charity just because they're bored

MrMonroe on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yo guys he's a troll

just fyi

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I just bought this. Aquaria sounds like something I'd be into for sure.

Also, why would anyone troll a charity thread? I mean, sincere disdain for a charity barely makes sense to me. Insincere disdain for a charity, I cannot quite wrap my head around it. Is it reverse psychology?

Reginald on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is an awesome idea. I, unfortunately, am broke at the moment. I think I should be able to scrape together 20 bucks in 2 days, though.

Remington on
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It occurs to me that an enterprising person might buy some of these as a gift (at say $0.01) and then sit on (proverbially) for a few weeks or months. Wait until this "Humble Indie Bundle" deal ends and people forget about. Not that many people know about this deal anyway.

Then sell them on Ebay.

As long as you get more than one cent for the whole lot, you're in profit. But realistically, you should divide the games up (which I think is possible) and sell them individually. You should be able to get at least a dollar per game. Probably quite a bit more than that. Maybe up to $10 each.

But let's just assume a dollar. You'd make five dollars on a one cent investment. That's a great return. And if you buy a few of these bundles (but don't get ridiculous here because there's a chance you might get found out...but even then, you'd only be out a few cents) you can really reap in some profits.

I'm pretty sure this is all above board too. I know Valve says you can't resell your Steam accounts but that's shaky legal ground at best. And anyway, this isn't Steam. You're perfectly entitled to resell new or even used software.

If I was bored enough, I'd do this. But I'm not quite there. Somebody else should do it and report on their success, though.

This is exactly what you should do, bro. It would be totally sweet to screw those developers out of money for their games when they were nice enough to let you set the price. That'll show 'em.

Whats really impressive is that you may have found a way to be more terrible than the 90% of users that are apparently pirating world of goo you insufferably silly goose.

At least they aren't making money off of what is essentially condoned theft.

Sticks on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey cool, they just added Samorost 2 to the bundle!

Ten on
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys. Let's just say "troll" a thousand times. That's cool, right? Cool kids say that, I think. And most adults.

I don't want to get into the whole "charity" or lack thereof of this thing because I don't really care. But it's obviously not nearly as altruistic as is made out here. A charitable thing would be the developers giving their money to a charity. This is obviously a money making stunt using the charitable angle to increase their own profits. Charities will make some money as well but that's incidental. The goal is to maximise profits, not be charitable.

Naturally, most people use pirated software. What does that have to do with anything? I paid for my copy and I'm suggesting a legal course of action with this selling.

LearnedHand on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sticks wrote: »
    Whats really impressive is that you may have found a way to be more terrible than the 90% of users that are apparently pirating world of goo you insufferably silly goose.

At least they aren't making money off of what is essentially condoned theft.

wow thats despressing.

edit: Isn't learned the guy who comes every now and then to dump in the new comic thread? or am I getting trolls mixed up?

101 on