As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

you like SCHOOL in the summertime (TFS&AMP'D COME TO SENSES, SAY AMERICA IS BEST)

Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSURegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Social Entropy++
famous-cartoon-character-fat-albert.jpg

NO CLASS

school thread

finals this week aaaaugh

anyone taking any summer classes?

I'm writing a paper on perception's role in the search for enlightenment and need a more scholarly word for video games than video games

I tried "interactive digital fiction" but that makes me feel like a douchebag

Skull Man on

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    took a placement test to get into a bio gen ed

I am so pitiful at bio, I hope I passed into it

Squall on
    edited May 2010
    finals are done which is great but grades dropped a bit

three A-'s and one B+

Squall on
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i have a final in

4h 15m

and then one saturday

and then i'm done with law school :O

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Your dad will be so proud.

Where are you going to work after this?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I graduate the day after tomorrow

Currently I will be working a summer camp up in Maryland but if I find something here that pays better I ain't goin'

Grey Ghost on
    edited May 2010
    Your dad will be so proud.

Where are you going to work after this?

don't have a job lined up

don't want to be a lawyer

i'll figure something out

maybe i'll sell blowjobs on the street

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    edited May 2010
    now there's a charge for what crwth used to give for free :(

Squall on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just took my first final

when I got home I got an alert from Gmail calendar saying I missed my economics final

five minutes of panic until I looked it up and realized it had sent me the final date for a different section of the class

thanimations on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i fucking hate college.

except when it's good.

Metzger Meister on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a final and paper due today. As per usual, my group members can't lift a finger so I'm doing most of the work on the paper.

Hopefully, my two classes this summer will have very little to no group work because people suck.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinking of enrolling in a couples cooking class.

Otherwise I am considering going back for my Master's in a year or so.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited May 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    now there's a charge for what crwth used to give for free :(

times are tough, man

that's just the way it is

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    edited May 2010
    good thing I have these vouchers

Squall on
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    scholarly term for "video games"

cmon people

Skull Man on
    edited May 2010
    interactive gameplay?

Squall on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    scholarly term for "video games"

cmon people

Interactive narrative.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited May 2010
    that'll do

Skull Man on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    los videojuegos

redhead on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I may well be thoroughly boned for my exam tomorrow

FAQ on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FAQ wrote: »
    I may well be thoroughly boned for my exam tomorrow

Counterpoint! I had 100s in every grade on my finance class yesterday, so I could have made a 50 on the final and received an A. But I didn't, it was a 90!.

In related news, some classes are way too easy.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited May 2010
    well isn't that nice for you

FAQ on
    edited May 2010
    I really wish that one last grade would hurry up and get posted

Grey Ghost on
  • LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I graduated high school 12 years ago, but I bring a lesson.

I was looking on Facebook recently on my schools graduating year list. I went to two high schools, actually so I looked at both. I was curious to see what my former classmates were up to, you know.

So I painstakingly created a spreadsheet of their current locations.

80% of them are still living in the Chicago and Northwest Indiana area (where we were from). That's crazy. At this point in their life, it's safe to say that they're staying there.

And this was in both the private school that I went to and the public school. The pubic school was in a fairly poor area and most everybody was from working class families. So you might not be too surprised by the 80% but that still seems insanely high to me. But even in the private school where there were people from moderately well-off families, and certainly most everybody was from better off families than the public school, it's still 80%. Crazy.

I mean, if you told me 15 years ago that 80% of the class was going to still be in this crappy area 15 years from now, I wouldn't believe it. I knew I was getting out of there and I suspect that all but the most pessimistic of my classmates also thought they were getting out.

Not so. They're still there in that...well, I think the word "ghetto" is tossed around too freely but it's certainly an economically-depressed area and on a steep decline. And even if they moved to some cow town suburbs around there it's still not remotely impressive.

A few people who managed to get out of there did so through the military. So...well, that's not impressive.

Anyway, only ONE person managed to leave the country. And that person is a certain LearnedHand who currently resides in London, England and has been here for almost half a decade. So I win the game. The high school success game.

My job is also better than possibly everyone's that I saw. But I didn't really chart that so I don't have empirical data for that.

Anyway, yeah. I spent years researching and planning and scheming all in an effort to get out of that hole. My classmates for whatever reason did not. These are the sort of practical lessons that they should be teaching in schools instead of all that nonsense about past participles and ph paper and whatever that you'll never use in your life.

LearnedHand on
    edited May 2010
    you're proud of being an expatriate who pisses on his hometown?

boy, I wouldn't be able to hold my head up in the morning

Skull Man on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I was looking on Facebook recently on my schools graduating year list. I went to two high schools, actually so I looked at both. I was curious to see what my former classmates were up to, you know.

i got this far and sadly shook my head

satansfingers on
    edited May 2010
    instead of all that nonsense about past participles and ph paper and whatever that you'll never use in your life.

Some people use that stuff
    That's why they teach you different things in high school, because nobody knows what they're going to do with their lives yet

Grey Ghost on
    edited May 2010
    you are really bad at this

Squall on
    edited May 2010

80% of them are still living in the Chicago and Northwest Indiana area (where we were from). That's crazy. At this point in their life, it's safe to say that they're staying there.

And this was in both the private school that I went to and the public school. The pubic school was in a fairly poor area and most everybody was from working class families. So you might not be too surprised by the 80% but that still seems insanely high to me. But even in the private school where there were people from moderately well-off families, and certainly most everybody was from better off families than the public school, it's still 80%. Crazy.

I mean, if you told me 15 years ago that 80% of the class was going to still be in this crappy area 15 years from now, I wouldn't believe it. I knew I was getting out of there and I suspect that all but the most pessimistic of my classmates also thought they were getting out.

Not so. They're still there in that...well, I think the word "ghetto" is tossed around too freely but it's certainly an economically-depressed area and on a steep decline. And even if they moved to some cow town suburbs around there it's still not remotely impressive.

A few people who managed to get out of there did so through the military. So...well, that's not impressive.

Anyway, only ONE person managed to leave the country. And that person is a certain LearnedHand who currently resides in London, England and has been here for almost half a decade. So I win the game. The high school success game.

My job is also better than possibly everyone's that I saw. But I didn't really chart that so I don't have empirical data for that.

Anyway, yeah. I spent years researching and planning and scheming all in an effort to get out of that hole. My classmates for whatever reason did not. These are the sort of practical lessons that they should be teaching in schools instead of all that nonsense about past participles and ph paper and whatever that you'll never use in your life.

yaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnn

FAQ on
  • Ukali.KulaUkali.Kula Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NK2WX3H A survey that is for my statistics class final project. Gotta get 200 responses, in 24 hours!? Class is structured horribly and the teacher is horrible as well. Anyways, this survey is only 1 question, so do please help me. :)

Ukali.Kula on
    edited May 2010
    much better to post it in here, but you'll be best off by putting it in your sig rather than actively asking people to do it for you

Squall on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Final #1 written up, final #2 in progress. Man, that Kolmogorov dude got around.

Also I have my cap and gown and am feeling all smug and collegiate.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited May 2010
    I answered

FAQ on
    edited May 2010
    this fucking paper

1500 words at least on Origin and Return in Mulla Sadra

however we can bring in any other media we want so I am exploring the themes of Return to Origin as Enlightenment in The Matrix, Vanilla Sky, Silent Hill 2 and Bioshock

Skull Man on
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

And yet these losers didn't spent god knows how long making a stalker spreadsheet. Maybe your victory isn't as complete as you think.

Saammiel on
  • LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    you're proud of being an expatriate who pisses on his hometown?

I'm proud of getting out of there, yes. And my hometown is...not a good place.

But just speaking generally, moving away from your hometown is a universal measure of success. See for example, the "Alumni Who Traveled the Least Distance to Get Here" or whatever award that Homer won in that Simpsons school reunion episode. It's well established.

And 80% of the people still living there. This isn't just something for my high schools. It's probably typical of high schools everywhere. I find it very surprising and this is an example of the sort of things people should be taught in high schools. Maybe shock some of them into action. Like that "Scared Straight" special (which has been debunked many times, but I'll still use it as an example) where they take troubled youngsters into prison and some big prisoner takes their shoes.
    Some people use that stuff
    That's why they teach you different things in high school, because nobody knows what they're going to do with their lives yet

I think by high school unless you're interested in being a scientist or mathematician or something, you shouldn't have to take math or science courses. They're totally useless for most people and only serve to make school a painful and unpleasant experience for those who aren't proficient in those areas.

In any event, more practical things should certainly be taught instead of some of these esoteric pursuits. Doing your taxes, how to get a girlfriend, job interview techniques, typing, cooking, personal hygeine, whatever.

LearnedHand on
    edited May 2010
    i wouldn't mind living in chicago

satansfingers on
    edited May 2010
    but all of those things are best learned through trial and error (except maybe Taxes)

Skull Man on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There are classes that teach all those things
    It's called Life Skills
    It's for remedial kids too dumb to figure those things out on their own and who are probably getting menial labor jobs out of high school

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited May 2010
    well typing is a thing you just learn by doing it a bunch

but coincidentally many high schools already teach that

satansfingers on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010

Chicago is awesome though

Monoxide on
This discussion has been closed.