As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Greece & the Euro] Eurozone reform & EMF to get the go ahead.

• Options
    LoklarLoklar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    The sustainability of it is absolutely irrelevant to someone who just found out their financial future is ruined and is now trying to figure out what to do. You're also assuming they had the education to understand how unsustainable it was. Do you think all of the millions of Americans who got into stupid mortgages knew what was coming?

It's not that I have no sympathy, of course it's bullshit. Most of the blame (on Greece and in the US) rests with the leadership. But at the same time when you spend 500,000 dollars on a home, you better understand that maybe it isn't actually worth that much. You might be in the middle of a mania.

Imagine a village of people 4,000 years ago farming the same land. Then the weather patterns change and they can't grow any crops anymore. They can't get bailed out, they have to change their lifestyle (starve or move to new land). We aren't fundamentally apart from things like that happening today.

We can just forecast weather changes, and put off disasters. But if we don't plan effectively, we'll find ourselves on a plot of land with little to eat.

Loklar on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Comparing this with an act of nature really takes the element of human responsibility out of it though.

Its more like serfs being worked to death on the same plot of land for a decade by a feudal lord when people didn't know how to rotate crops. The serfs are glad to be able to eat, but when the land stops being arable and the feudal lord says "tough luck," you have a rebellion on your hands.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    Comparing this with an act of nature really takes the element of human responsibility out of it though.

Its more like serfs being worked to death on the same plot of land for a decade by a feudal lord when people didn't know how to rotate crops. The serfs are glad to be able to eat, but when the land stops being arable and the feudal lord says "tough luck," you have a rebellion on your hands.

Replace "worked to death" with "pushing papers and retiring early" and "able to eat" with "live cushy lives paid for completely by the state at unsustainable levels" and then you might have something.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jephery wrote: »

But the serfs elected that feudal lord. And were more than happy to get food from the neighboring villages to support their posh lifestyle during the good times (ie credit).

Edit: adytum beat me to it.

Loklar on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How about we just agree to not use analogies? They never capture the real picture anyways. Like those silly Star Trek technobabble hand waves.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder if there's any way to get rid of the endemic habit of tax evasion in Greece. It's tempting to suggest sending in a whole lot of forensic accountants and tax collectors (hmmm, para-drops of IRS people?) but I don't know if that would work. Or maybe it would? Perhaps they could have to rewrite their tax code to make it easier to collect, somehow?

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corlis wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any way to get rid of the endemic habit of tax evasion in Greece. It's tempting to suggest sending in a whole lot of forensic accountants and tax collectors (hmmm, para-drops of IRS people?) but I don't know if that would work. Or maybe it would? Perhaps they could have to rewrite their tax code to make it easier to collect, somehow?

Step 1: Require business to use cash registers and give/keep receipts. (How's that not the case yet!?)
    Step 2: Lots of sting operations to catch "under the table" payments.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    Corlis wrote: »

Step 1: Require business to use cash registers and give/keep receipts. (How's that not the case yet!?)
    Step 2: Lots of sting operations to catch "under the table" payments.

The problem is the economy is already balanced around no-tax. So enforcing the taxes will cause business to shrink, lay off workers, and fail.

And who knows, maybe all the bribes were effectively the tax. How do you squash the bribery and divert that money into government coffers?

Loklar on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm sure I must be missing something(like details on the previous austerity measures), but I honestly don't see how the current proposal leads to throwing petrol bombs. Were I to have only heard about the public anger and violence, I'd have guessed public employees were receiving a 20% pay cut.

Was the economic situation last fall so bad(relative to other countries suffering) that the current austerity measures pose an unbearable burden? Forget Europe's well-being, I don't see how Greece itself, and all these public employees, wouldn't be significantly worse off if they said "fuck it" to the austerity measures and had to default.

I'm not getting the impression that these cuts are significantly out of the range that California had to institute.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The rioting is being led by the Communist Party who see this as a great chance to kick capitalism when it's down. The images coming from Athens are...disturbing.

Today the Commission released it's economic forecasts, it's all here.

Ireland's economy is predicted to grow 3% next year, Spain 0.8%, Portugal 0.5% this year and then 0.7% next year.

Greece's economy will shrink 3% this year and 0.5% next year.

Another thing is that the EU is talking about trying to rein in ratings agencies.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just saw this in an article on the Economist:
    Mikis Theodorakis, Greece’s most famous composer, expressed the visceral reaction of many when he said the crisis was probably a plot by dark forces in the United States and other capitalist centres to subdue proud, independent nations.

Glad to know other countries have people as crazy as our own crazies.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's nothing, apparently Zapatero ordered Spanish intelligence to investigate the British media for some dark plot to topple the Eurozone.

Yes we're delightfully mad here on the other side of the Atlantic.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Mikis Theodorakis, Greece’s most famous composer, expressed the visceral reaction of many when he said the crisis was probably a plot by dark forces in the United States and other capitalist centres to subdue proud, independent nations.

Does he realize they are hat in hand asking these "capitalist centres" for a bailout.

enc0re on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The rioting is being led by the Communist Party who see this as a great chance to kick capitalism when it's down. The images coming from Athens are...disturbing.

Ireland's economy is predicted to grow 3% next year, Spain 0.8%, Portugal 0.5% this year and then 0.7% next year.

Another thing is that the EU is talking about trying to rein in ratings agencies.

Blaming capitalism for the collapse of a country where 2 in 5 people is employed by the state...rich.
    And blaming the ratings agencies is such garbage, especially after 2 years ago where everyone bitched about their rating being too favorable. Greece has massive debt, an ever growing projected-deficit for this year, continued projected economic retraction, a structurally unsound economy, and massive public resistance to fixing the economy. Sounds like a junk bound to me.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Joseph Stiglitz has penned a piece on the need for reformation of the Euro.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Blaming capitalism for the collapse of a country where 2 in 5 people is employed by the state...rich.
    And blaming the ratings agencies is such garbage, especially after 2 years ago where everyone bitched about their rating being too favorable. Greece has massive debt, an ever growing projected-deficit for this year, continued projected economic retraction, a structurally unsound economy, and massive public resistance to fixing the economy. Sounds like a junk bound to me.

The Greeks aren't the ones pissed at the ratings agencies, it's Merkel and Sarkozy.

They wrote a letter to Van Romput today saying
    "The decision by a ratings agency to downgrade the rating of Greece even before the programme of the authorities and the amount of the support plan were known prompts us to consider the role of the ratings agencies in the spreading of crises," the leaders wrote in a joint letter to European Council president Herman Van Rompuy.

Full article here.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And that bashing of markets could result in a further loss of confidence in the governments by the markets. So, woo.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What THE FUCK is the Dow doing? Just lost 700 points(was already -300) in a little over 10 minutes. Down to sub 10k levels!

Edit: Some sanity coming into the market now. About time.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

Nationalistic anti-capitalist propaganda is nothing new.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    zeeny wrote: »
    What THE FUCK is the Dow doing? Just lost 700 points(was already -300) in a little over 10 minutes. Down to sub 10k levels!

Glad my chronic procrastination kept me from opening an investment account in the last week.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Glad my chronic procrastination kept me from opening an investment account in the last week.

This could be a great opportunity for you! Usually in sell-offs, the healthy companies take hits with the bad.

I'd stay out of US stocks though.

Edit: This isn't going to stop anytime soon. IMO, this is going to get worse.

Loklar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh dear, that's a horrendous dip.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    There are fears that banks which are still recovering from the 2008 global banking crisis are exposed to Greek debt.

Okay, I've got 5,000 Canadian dollars. It's my entire savings. Wat do?

Loklar on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Well with the role Goldman Sachs has played in all this, I can see where he's coming from. Corporate imperialism has kind of been our M.O. for decades now.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Loklar wrote: »
    There are fears that banks which are still recovering from the 2008 global banking crisis are exposed to Greek debt.

Invest in Greece!

In a way, you could.. I mean, for the next few years you're going to get stupidly good exchange rates going on. If you're a foreigner now would be a good time to buy up land/property cheap and sell it in 10 years or so when the Greek market recovers.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Buy a shitload of tinned food and flee into the woods.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CNN saying that 10-15 minute 600 points drop from -390 to -1000 was a computer glitch or somebody pushed the wrong button as it was too fast for individual investors to react.
    Computer glitch my ass.

zeeny on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CNN saying that 10-15 minute 600 points drop from -390 to -1000 was a computer glitch or somebody pushed the wrong button as it was too fast for individual investors to react.
    Computer glitch my ass.

They mean automated trading. It probably hit the default sell point for some big firm's software.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Why is it that everytime decisive action is taken by either the EU or Athens the markets shit themselves?

The Greek Parliament passed it's austerity measures this morning, Papandreou even booted out a few MPs who dissented.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Why is it that everytime decisive action is taken by either the EU or Athens the markets shit themselves?

The Greek Parliament passed it's austerity measures this morning, Papandreou even booted out a few MPs who dissented.

The world's markets are woven together pretty tightly. Tug one one strand and the whole thing moves.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Because it's the Greek people who have to make money/pay taxes/take cuts. And if they keep rioting and not growing olives (or w/e the Greek economy makes) then they'll never pay the loans and everyone is fucked.

And if they don't pay their loans then everyone who owns Greek bonds (Spain, Portugal, US Banks) then they fall off a cliff because their wealth goes up in smoke.

And when the banks wealth takes a hit, they stop lending money at low rates. So rates go up. And mortgages get more expensive, which forces some people to sell.

And.. and... and...

So yea. We're heading into a panic.

Loklar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh dear, maybe I'll just make some tea and curl up in bed.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Because it's the Greek people who have to make money/pay taxes/take cuts. And if they keep rioting and not growing olives (or w/e the Greek economy makes) then they'll never pay the loans and everyone is fucked.

And if they don't pay their loans then everyone who owns Greek bonds (Spain, Portugal, US Banks) then they fall off a cliff because their wealth goes up in smoke.

And when the banks wealth takes a hit, they stop lending money at low rates. So rates go up. And mortgages get more expensive, which forces some people to sell.

And.. and... and...

So yea. We're heading into a panic.

They do shipping and tourism, which both take a big hit in recessions.

MKR on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010

Because when money markets are shakey, people panic, and that makes them do things they shouldn't do which make the money markets shakier

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll go ring the president of Madagascar to shut down everything.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

Well with the role Goldman Sachs has played in all this, I can see where he's coming from. Corporate imperialism has kind of been our M.O. for decades now.

Basically. If communism could have lived for just a little longer it would have had some serious ammo to use against Western ideologies.

Sheep on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That' why I don't think the american investment bank will ever truly recover. The image is so tarnished by corruption at this point

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Buy a shitload of tinned food and flee into the woods.

If Ford stocks are down, invest in Ford

Seriously, people who bought Ford stocks when they were at the lowest of the low last year are now sitting on a comfortable ~400% ROI

Robman on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That' why I don't think the american investment bank will ever truly recover. The image is so tarnished by corruption at this point

People were saying the same things after the Savings and Loans scandal

Robman on