As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer shut off, now no signal goes to the monitor

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
I was browsing the Internet/magic online store when out of the blue my computer shut off more or less. My monitor went dark however my computer was still well, on. I did a hard restart and the same thing. The computer powered on seemingly fine yet nothing popped up in my monitor. I've tried restarting/turning off the computer about five times now all with the same result. I opened up my case to see if anything jumped out at me as odd. Everything seemed in order, no fires, bears or lose cables. I am a bit worried seeing as how with the old problem i could still use my computer and with this one i can not.

The bellow us the first problem I had when i started this thread. Figured is would be better than starting a new thread just to retype some of this. Anyway, hope you guys can help!

The title just about says it all. My pc hates staying on while I am playing games. Let it be starcraft 2 beta, world of warcraft, or hell even football manager, after about 10 or some minutes it will shut off.

There is a plot twist however.

The computer does shut off however the fans stay running and i have to actually manually turn of the computer in order to restart it/turn it back on. That's really the only odd thing about this whole thing. Its been happening on and off for a while, at first i thought it was my video card, so i bought a new one. Then in some random thought i assumed maybe i needed more ram (lololol) and upgraded from 4 to 8gigs. No good, still happening. A part of me kinda thought it might be over heating since it happens most often when the ac isn't on and its about 80 inside. It happened many times today with it being around 75 inside with cool air blowing around.

I come to you PA, what more can i do? What could it be?

Windows 7 pro
8gigs ram
4770 HD ati
Intel quad 2.33

projectmayhem on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like overheating - namely your CPU overheating. I've seen this happen when my CPU climbed past 105 degrees C when I was at a LAN.

It's shutting down to protect itself, so you should have a look at your case cooling situation - try running with the side of it off and see if that improves the situation, or install a monitoring program while your play so you can see if the temps are going beyond the safe levels.

How many internal fans do you have?

EDIT: Also, are you sure the CPU cooling fan is actually working? Other things to check are whether the heat sink is loose on the board, and to reapply the thermal compound to the CPU.

But first check your fan and your cases internal arrangement - between the CPU and the video card modern systems put out a lot of heat.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmm. I do only have two fans. One on the top another on the back.

Here's what speed fan is giving me with just it and google chrome open.

system: 29c
    cpu: 21c
    aux: 15c
    core0:57
    core1:46
    core2:46
    core3:51

What temps am I looking for during browsing/gaming?

Also just checked my cpu fan, its running fine it appears. I also just turned up my two internal fans from low to med, hopefully that helps.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    CPUs generally go into thermal shutdown when they exceed 100 - 105 degrees Celsius.

You'd be looking for the Core 0 - 3 temperatures approaching that (obviously it'll crash once it exceeds them).

Try running something which normally takes it down with logging mode on that enabled. The last entry on the file will tell you what the temperature is.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just did a fully game of league of legends with the cores between 50-65c. Computer stayed on.

I cracked open the case before hand to look around, I THINK that the cable that goes from...um, something, to my video card wasn't all the way in. Not sure though, I can't recall. I just recall snapping it in and thinking 'huh, didn't know that snapped in'. From here I put two and two together :). Still going to monitor it and see whats up.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    your video card was overheating, or it was undervolted. Both of those can be caused by bad power connections.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    your video card was overheating, or it was undervolted. Both of those can be caused by bad power connections.

Welp! There we go, hopefully that ends up being it :). Also your avatar. Its...I must look at it more.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    The title just about says it all. My pc hates staying on while I am playing games. Let it be starcraft 2 beta, world of warcraft, or hell even football manager, after about 10 or some minutes it will shut off.

There is a plot twist however.

The computer does shut off however the fans stay running and i have to actually manually turn of the computer in order to restart it/turn it back on. That's really the only odd thing about this whole thing. Its been happening on and off for a while, at first i thought it was my video card, so i bought a new one. Then in some random thought i assumed maybe i needed more ram (lololol) and upgraded from 4 to 8gigs. No good, still happening. A part of me kinda thought it might be over heating since it happens most often when the ac isn't on and its about 80 inside. It happened many times today with it being around 75 inside with cool air blowing around.

I come to you PA, what more can i do? What could it be?

Windows 7 pro
    8gigs ram
    4770 HD ati
    Intel quad 2.33

Mine was doing pretty much the exact same thing. What I did was open it up, clean the hell out of it and get rid of all the dust (and there was a lot), unplug the CPU fan and clean off the thermal past, reseat everything and make sure it's all situated perfectly, and put it all back together. After that, it's been working perfectly.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bumpbump.

New problem has appeared which i put in the op. Any help would be so jawesome

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To rule out a software issue I would get a Linux live cd like this one from Ubuntu. If you boot from the cd make sure not to install just run from the CD that will let you know if there is a software issue. Boot it up and let it run for a while to see if you have the same problem.

It could be an issue with the video driver and or compatibility with software that you have installed. Try updating your video drivers to the newest version available. If you right click on my computer and select manage, go to event viewer and then windows logs. In there you can look through the application and system logs for errors that should give you something to google to find out if anyone else has similar issues and how they fixed it.

Many system manufacturers will have a disc you can download and run to test your hardware. You can also use the Linux disc to run some diagnostics although it is usually limited to memory tests.

Hopefully something will show up that points to what is causing the problem.

K0dos on
    139892.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I recently updated my drivers. I however cannot get into anything to change/check for things as nothing comes up on my monitor when i turn the computer on.

I am going to try hooking up a different monitor and video card tomorrow and see uf that changes anything. G

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Remove your video card entirely

If that doesn't work, reset your CMOS.

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    Remove your video card entirely

If that doesn't work, reset your CMOS.

Hm. I googled the reseting CMOS thing however I am not as hardware savvy as I thought. How does one do this?

And a small update. I've been out of the house all day and when I got home I powered up the computer and everything is working as normal. I do realize that I need to find the problem however instead of just being lazy about it =p.

Hopefully tomorrow before work I can do some more troubleshooting, for now, I will hope it last me through some Bad Company 2 before I go to work! I am sure I will be back soon however with a slew of new problems tomorrow.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To reset your CMOS or BIOS when the computer first starts there should be a screen before you see the windows loading screen. At that screen you will press F2 or Delete or whatever button that your manufacturer designates to enter BIOS. From there there is typically a button combination or a menu option to reset to factory defaults sometimes it is F10 and then Enter.

If you never see any video at any time you have a a hardware problem. If you don't see video at any time when you start the computer you have a video card issue. Alternatively you can reset your BIOS by opening the computer while it is off and pulling the smallish watchlike battery that is on the motherboard, waiting a few seconds putting it back in and powering it back on.

K0dos on
    139892.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What PSU are you running?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    K0dos wrote: »
    To reset your CMOS or BIOS when the computer first starts there should be a screen before you see the windows loading screen. At that screen you will press F2 or Delete or whatever button that your manufacturer designates to enter BIOS. From there there is typically a button combination or a menu option to reset to factory defaults sometimes it is F10 and then Enter.

If you never see any video at any time you have a a hardware problem. If you don't see video at any time when you start the computer you have a video card issue. Alternatively you can reset your BIOS by opening the computer while it is off and pulling the smallish watchlike battery that is on the motherboard, waiting a few seconds putting it back in and powering it back on.

You can also short circuit the usually three-pronged jumpers right next to it

Paladin on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Or remove the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) then hold down the power button for 5 seconds, and put it back in.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png