As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X-Men Thread: Regenesis is here, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looks more like an homage to this cover to me:

280-1.jpg

Although I wonder on the Finch cover if the text is there to purposely hide the feet he didn't draw hyuck hyuck make em laugh, make em laugh....

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Whenever Cyclops cries, the tears clog up his visor and he has to open it to let them out.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Whenever Cyclops cries, the tears clog up his visor and he has to open it to let them out.

Scott is in fact very macho and does not allow others to see him cry. So instead he obliterates his tears with an optic blast whilst cursing the heavens and clutching (recently dead Xfriend here). Tears? What tears?

Caveman Paws on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    He expresses his grief by blowing up small chunks of the moon.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There was a really great cover posted in the covers thread which had Cyclops doing his shoot beam at the sky thing against a black background. Maybe it's based off that.

Solar on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it's obviously based on his move in Marvel vs Capcom.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cyclops rarely uses his powers.
    We need Cyclops to join X-Force.
    He could kill an army of mutie hating army easily.

Nightcrawler old man will revive him in hell.
    And thus linking to Magik.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    X-Men-Curse-Of-The-Mutants_02.jpg

"Hey guys...you know how we could make this storyline worse..."

stevemarks44 on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    looks awesome.

i hope it ends up being a good fun story for all you pessimistic folks.

Angry on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So what can Rouge do now? Does she still just absorb other's powers?

Silver_Mage on
    edited May 2010
    She can absorb other powers but she doesn't have a problem with their memories messing with her anymore. She also has a stronger control over how much power she can drain, so she can touch people without taking away all their powers (basically she can kiss Gambit now).

TexiKen on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    looks awesome.

I mean I guess I have no problem with vampire, but my god, the font

stevemarks44 on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2010
    angry you changed your avatar what

Garlic Bread on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    She can absorb other powers but she doesn't have a problem with their memories messing with her anymore. She also has a stronger control over how much power she can drain, so she can touch people without taking away all their powers (basically she can kiss Gambit now).

And yet, she can't seem to be interesting.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2010
    Fencingsax if you are saying Mike Carey is a bad writer then we are going to have an opposite word battle.

Fuego

TexiKen on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Agua

Antimatter on
    edited May 2010
    Rogue will end up with Sugar Daddy Magneto.
    Gambit still has his role in the next shitty Apo Storyline.

Apocalyse is the worst creation in X-Men.
    1) Wakes up
    2) Grab 4 mutants to be his Horsemen
    3) Fight the X-Men
    4) Gets Defeated
    5) Go back to Sleep
    6) Go back to 1)

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    looks awesome.

I mean I guess I have no problem with vampire, but my god, the font

Looks like an old Hammer Horror or even Tomb of Dracula vampire/monster font to me, which is what they're going for.

Hensler on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fencingsax if you are saying Mike Carey is a bad writer then we are going to have an opposite word battle.

Fuego

Well, it's more that 1) The X-Men really needs to fix itself, and 2) My main thesis was more who gives a shit about Rogue, anyways?

Remember, I'm the resident "the X-men have had the exact same status quo since they came back from all pretending to be dead in Australia, and even then things were pretty similar" guy.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Fuego

Well, it's more that 1) The X-Men really needs to fix itself, and 2) My main thesis was more who gives a shit about Rogue, anyways?

I give a shit about the cute chick who played her in the movie, does that count?

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Fuego

I give a shit about the cute chick who played her in the movie, does that count?

...No.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2010
    Oh, in that case, I don't really care about Rogue. Except for that time when the X-Men were fighting sentinels, and Cyclops was all like "Is that all of them?" and Rogue was all like "Sugar, Ain't that enough?"

That was pretty rad.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    Oh, in that case, I don't really care about Rogue. Except for that time when the X-Men were fighting sentinels, and Cyclops was all like "Is that all of them?" and Rogue was all like "Sugar, Ain't that enough?"

That was pretty rad.

I agree, I know Rogue mostly from the 90s cartoon as well.

Fencingsax on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    angry you changed your avatar what

i figure 3+ years is a good run.

Angry on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Legacy arc in November focuses on Hellion and "a few other characters"

C'monnnn Rockslide! In fact throw Dust in there too and just have it a Hellions arc like the one coming up post-SC is an Alpha Squadron arc.

Furu on
    edited May 2010
    Xavier is still MIA.
    Last seen in action = Watching Magneto fly to some mountain to do his mojo to bring Kitty back.

Cyclops has the most powerful and skilled Master of Telepathy with him but he is MIA from everything.
    Maybe Cyclops locked him up in a cage somewhere.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010

That was pretty rad.

There was a pretty recent moment when she got a bunch of powers from some mutants kids on Utopia, fucked up the abd guys massively and then said over the comm "we are no longer compromised," which was a pretty mega moment sadly made slightly shit by Land's art.

Solar on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Solar wrote: »

That was pretty rad.

There was a pretty recent moment when she got a bunch of powers from some mutants kids on Utopia, fucked up the abd guys massively and then said over the comm "we are no longer compromised," which was a pretty mega moment sadly made slightly shit by Land's art.

That is the exact same instance of Rogue being "cool" I can recall.... I wish I had more.

Caveman Paws on
    edited May 2010
    All of the cool Rogue moments I think of are from Age of Apocalypse.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    She was hella cool at the end of Claremont's Uncanny run, she fought Carol Danvers after going through the Siege Perilous (perfect Jim Lee cheesecake to compliment), and then she was in the Savage Land with Magneto and Ka-Zar with even more cheesecake.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    The problem with Age of Apocalypse and Days of Future Past is that so many other writers have tried to imitate the whole stupid "future superbigot dystopia" theme that they seem diluted and watered down.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2010
    She was hella cool at the end of Claremont's Uncanny run, she fought Carol Danvers after going through the Siege Perilous (perfect Jim Lee cheesecake to compliment), and then she was in the Savage Land with Magneto and Ka-Zar with even more cheesecake.

I've seen the latter, and it is some pretty good cheesecake.

Solar on
    edited May 2010
    How exactly does Rouge + Magneto = Sexy Time?

edit: I mean, why could she touch him and his clone when she couldn't control her powers?

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    How exactly does Rouge + Magneto = Sexy Time?

edit: I mean, why could she touch him and his clone when she couldn't control her powers?

It was more Rogue + torn jungle costume = sexy

Solar on
    edited May 2010
    Magneto can put a magnetic field around himself or something so she can't absorb his powers, it was mentioned in those Savage Land issues and explained more in Age of Apocalypse.

TexiKen on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Magneto can put a magnetic field around himself or something so she can't absorb his powers, it was mentioned in those Savage Land issues and explained more in Age of Apocalypse.

What happens if they're . . . intertwined?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited May 2010

What happens if they're . . . intertwined?

They make a baby like in AoA.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just finished reading the third Cable trade (though technically the fourth if you count Messiah War) and honestly I can't understand why so many seem to have disliked the book. Sure it won't win any awards but it was all around a solid dystopian future story with mostly good art and writing. I haven't read the last volume yet since it hasn't been collected but overall I'd give the whole thing a solid B rating.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2010
    I only read the first 5 issues and I just didn't care for the decompressed story, I didn't care about Cable really (his characterization really fell apart since Carey's X-Men and C&D ended) the real lack of why this time running around in the future is more important (because Hope has never been that good of a character, really), and never telling us why Bishop is doing this outside of the vague "Hope ruins the world." Add to it the wonkiness of how Marvel time travel worked compared to how it is supposed to, and it was just 2 years of running.

For 25 issues they ran, and for 25 issues there was never any real understanding why Bishop is doing this. At some point you have to let the reader know, or it looks bad on the writer's part.

A good example of knowing when to tell us a character's motivation is what Rucka did with Batwoman. The first arc he did with her was 3 issues in the present, as she beats up baddies. Then in the next arc, we are told her origin, so we aren't left wondering why we should care about her. It's the perfect balance between knowing where you're going and teasing the fans just the right amount before they just go "I don't care"

Olivetti's art was real good though, I liked it.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    Cmon.
    Cable sucks.

It's just 20+ issues of Cable on the run with hope with Bishop chasing them hopping through time.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]