As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wired/Wireless networking

n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I have a wireless-enabled laptop in a house full of wires. I have tired to enlighten my roommates as to the merits of getting rid of our carpet of cables, but they are refusing. Well, I have need of a wireless connection, both for my laptop and my shiny new DS lite. I know I can daisy-chain a wireless router to the wired one, but I would also like to know if there is such a device or antenna that plugs into what is currently my laptop's wired spot on the router and instead broadcast a wireless signal for both my laptop and DS. Thanks in advance.

btrsig.jpg
n00bish on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I do believe such devices exist, but I couldn't give you any specifics. You could always buy a wireless router with enough ethernet ports and just swap 'em out, though.

yalborap on
  • n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    I do believe such devices exist, but I couldn't give you any specifics. You could always buy a wireless router with enough ethernet ports and just swap 'em out, though.

While this will work, and I am an idiot for not thinking of it, I am looking for the cheapest possible solution as well. This might fly though, thanks!

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Buy a rat, let the fucker loose. They will either be hiring an exterminator or wanting to find a non-wired alternative in a couple days.

edit: not only are rats cheaper, this way the roommates themselves might buy the new equipment.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited April 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    Buy a rat, let the fucker loose. They will either be hiring an exterminator or wanting to find a non-wired alternative in a couple days.

edit: not only are rats cheaper, this way the roommates themselves might buy the new equipment.

This is actually unnecessary, as there is a chinchilla in the house, and should I decide to "accidently" let the creature out, there will not be a functioning wire within a mile of our house inside of ten minutes.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    n00bish wrote: »

This is actually unnecessary, as there is a chinchilla in the house, and should I decide to "accidently" let the creature out, there will not be a functioning wire within a mile of our house inside of ten minutes.

There may no longer be a functioning chinchilla, either.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Those things function? I thought they were a living example of when something goes so wrong it manages to go right.

yalborap on
    edited April 2007

When the world is consumed by nuclear fire and radioactive ash, there will be cockroaches, Twinkies and that damned pseudo-rat. Mere electricity will not harm it. It is immortal.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

When the world is consumed by nuclear fire and radioactive ash, there will be cockroaches, Twinkies and that damned pseudo-rat. Mere electricity will not harm it. It is immortal.

I am immortal, I have inside me the blood of kings
    highlander_resam.jpg

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What you're looking for is probably going to a be a Wireless Access Point / Wireless Bridge. Though from looking at some of the prices on newegg, you might be better of just buying a wireless router to replace your existing one.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    couldn't you buy a wireless router and plug it into a jack on your wired router, turn off all the dhcp stuff and be in good shape? There should be a link port or whatever on there, don't see why it wouldn't work.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

While this will work, and I am an idiot for not thinking of it, I am looking for the cheapest possible solution as well. This might fly though, thanks!

This is probably the cheapest solution you're gonna find because it'll only require you to buy one component. It will also save you tons of headaches.

The DS is very limited when it comes to WiFi compatibility. Check with http://www.nintendowifi.com/ compatibility tables to see if any router you're planning on buying actually works with the DS.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • GoofballGoofball Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Skip the router if you don't need all that functionality:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122013

Netgear 802.11G Wireless Access Point. 60$ with free shipping. Supports Open mode (bad idea), WEP (yuck), WPA (better) and WPA2 (best).

The range on it is good. I have mine on the second floor of my house and get beautiful signal everywhere, including the front and back yard through stucco walls. I've had mine now for about a year and haven't had any problems with it.

Goofball on
    Twitter: @TheGoofball
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Goofball wrote: »

Netgear 802.11G Wireless Access Point. 60$ with free shipping. Supports Open mode (bad idea), WEP (yuck), WPA (better) and WPA2 (best).

The range on it is good. I have mine on the second floor of my house and get beautiful signal everywhere, including the front and back yard through stucco walls. I've had mine now for about a year and haven't had any problems with it.

... or save $10 and get a fully functional wireless G router that's highly recommended for DS and Wii compatibility.

I'm sure the Netgear WAP is good, but $60? That's nuts.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

... or save $10 and get a fully functional wireless G router that's highly recommended for DS and Wii compatibility.

I'm sure the Netgear WAP is good, but $60? That's nuts.

Yeah I don't understand how that isn't going to be your best solution. It's not like having a wireless router around after you move out whenever will be a bad thing. When else would you use a wireless access point or dongle or whatever.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Unfortunately, as far as WiFi security goes, the DS only supports WEP.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is less of a technical solution and more of an interpersonal one--if you're the only person in the house who has an issue with the "carpet of cables", then maybe you should suck it up and deal with it. Forcing your roommates to spend their money on wireless cards when you're the only one who cares about the cables would be an incredibly dick move.

If they all have wireless-enabled computers already, then just go with the wireless router, but you'd better be prepared to see the wires come back if somebody's wireless connection ever gets dropped--again, because it's not really your place to force your will on your roommates, if you're the only one with an issue.

Captain K on
    edited April 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    This is less of a technical solution and more of an interpersonal one--if you're the only person in the house who has an issue with the "carpet of cables", then maybe you should suck it up and deal with it. Forcing your roommates to spend their money on wireless cards when you're the only one who cares about the cables would be an incredibly dick move.

If they all have wireless-enabled computers already, then just go with the wireless router, but you'd better be prepared to see the wires come back if somebody's wireless connection ever gets dropped--again, because it's not really your place to force your will on your roommates, if you're the only one with an issue.

I was never going to do such a thing; the wireless router with a four port switch was the best option. It was only suggested because the common areas are a disgusting mess and my wife and I kind of like a clean house. Our roommates don't. You try getting a vacuum going in a room with no less than 10 cables down that have endpoints near all four walls. Perhaps you need to see the setup.

BUT

Now we have a new situation. Our wired router is a D-Link EBR-2310 router, and I have been given a Linksys WAP11 Wireless Access Point. The WBR-2310 wireless router is on the list of supported hardware on nintendowifi.com, and I assume the hardware isn't much different. I know the router/AP work, because I am searching for a solution and posting this post using my lappy's wireless connected to said combo. I just need to get it working with my combo. Any suggestions?

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg