As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strange crash problem. Any ideas?

Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
So, I'm experiencing (un?)predictable crashes while playing 3D games. This started a few days ago and I didn't really notice it until today, when it happened several times. Been playing a lot of 360 and the first time it happened I figured it was a freak thing related to the (house) electricity or something.

Basically, within a few minutes of starting up any 3D game, my entire system just turns off. Hard shutdown, no warning. I think it's happened a total of four times now and I'm terrified to even test multiple programs to make sure it happens with all 3D games. I don't want to fuck up any parts!

Speaking of parts, here's the specs (for some of these I'm cutting and pasting from my Newegg order history):

-GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

-AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX245OCGQBOX

-OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV4GK

-ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

-Antec Sonata III 500 watt case/power supply

-Seagate 7800 rpm hard disk

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

It's got to be a hardware problem causing a crash like this, right? Means maybe something is failing? Everything's been replaced as recently as January except for the case/power supply and the video card.

Any thoughts? My best guess for diagnosing this problem is to swap a friend's video card in and see if I can get through a round of Battlefield, but would that be safe? I don't want to fry anybody else's hardware with a hard crash either!

Captain K on

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well that kind of sounds like your CPU is overheating and it's shutting down for it's own safety.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like something's overheating. Use speedfan or something to make a log of temps - leave it open while you go play a game, then after it crashes check the temps in the log.

Get in there with some canned air and dust things out.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png