As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini] PhallaHack - Astral Plane. Adventurers win, minor Riders win

PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet BustersTasting FruitRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Critical Failures
Welcome to PhallaHack

This is a NetHack themed mini phalla for 30 players. If you don't know what a phalla is, go here for the basic idea and then come back and sign up!

Spoiler policy: this entire mini is considered one big spoiler for NetHack. Roles, items, locations and so on are all taken from the game; narrations will reference specific events and the game itself is several decades old, if you don't want it spoiled at all it might be best to skip this one.

Rules and important stuff! You should read this, all of it. Some mechanics may piss people off, you have been warned!

Some abilities, powers, items and/or effects may be decided via RNG in certain cases. Certain items allow for attacks to be randomly deflected, others cause your targeting to be random. In the latter case you will never kill yourself, in the former you can

I sat down a wrote up all this myself in a couple hours, this may be horribly imbalanced. In theory I think the balance is decent but I could be very wrong, after all I've only played in like five so far. It really all depends on how well the items are used I think.

There may be neutrals who may have any kind of alignment and win conditions. There is no conversion among the living. There are different attack types and resistances to attack types. Networked players share win conditions.

The wounding mechanic (largely stolen from Lucedes' Phantastic Revolution) some attacks are fatal, others are not. For non-fatal attacks the target will be wounded for 2 days. They will still be able to use their abilities, but another attack will finish them off. Wounded will be listed for your sniping convenience.

Status effects from NetHack also exist. You will be informed of any status effects on you and exactly what they do.

There are items in this game. In general, they will be randomly chosen and assigned, but not always. Certain roles may be more likely to receive certain items and may be ineligible to receive others. You may use any number of equipment items and one consumable every night (for reference, consumables are: scrolls, potions, wands, tools, any other item marked consumable). Artifacts may be used freely if you come across one.

You cannot give items away unless your role or the item description says you can. If that is the case PM me the item and target and they will receive it the next day. You cannot both transfer and use an item in the same night. You can transfer any number of items to any number of players in one night. Kills resolve before item transfer, you will not give away items if you or the target are killed. You may choose to give items anonymously or not.

There are resurrection mechanics in play. There is to be no contact with the dead, even by other dead.. The dead may continue to read the thread of course.

Role calls are not allowed. They would end up hurting the village anyway, still, don't do it.

Each day may have something special happen either during the day or the night, possibly unique items, a special vote, stuff like that. We will visit most of the following locations:

Dungeons of Doom, Sokoban, Gnomish Mines, The Quest, The Castle, Ghennom, Elemental Planes, Astral Plane

If you are required to make a choice I will outline what the options mean and how to choose. Non-voting in the special vote is an option, it will be a strict yes vs no of all responses.

The usual communication rules are in effect. Invite me to any proboards, no anonymous contact, no screenshots or direct quoting of role PMs. An exception to is to those who are explicitly networked on day 1, you're allowed to know what your allies can do without having to paraphrase it.

Vote in bold red every day, no editing of vote posts, everyone must redvote. Retract in lime if you want. The vote is considered an unresistable, unblockable, unredirectable, unguardable kill. Vote manipulation may be in play. You will be told the eventual target of the vote. There are ways to survive the vote. Voting for yourself would be... unwise.

Vote/action close is at 11pm sharp, Eastern time. As usual :59 is okay, :00 is not. The PA board time is official, there are no roles or events that modify closing time

If all this is okay with you, sign up.

A sample villager role PM is in the spoiler
You are a <alignment> <race> <class>

You are an intrepid adventurer, attempting to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor and ascend to Demigod status. In your way however are several high level monsters and a veritable horde of other adventurers.

You don't know exactly what you must do but you do know that you need to have the Candelabrum of Invocation, the Book of the Dead and the Amulet of Yendor. You don't know exactly where to find these either but you do know they are all held by powerful creatures in the dungeon.

For now though, it's in your best interest to work together and eliminate the monsters. You can fight over the Amulet after.

Your abilities:

Unspoiled – You don't use spoilers, so you only have a general idea of what your items do.

<Abilities>

Your items:

<Items>

Win condition:

Eliminate all of the dungeon's monsters.

A hint!

All roles, items, attacks, goals and such are thematically taken from the source material. Familiarity with the items, roles and abilities will help you.

But Phyphor, I've never played NetHack

Well, the spoilers are here:
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/nethack/spoilerlist.html

Note that this is is only a guideline and certain items have been adjusted to fit within this game type, however in general a potion of healing will heal you, a ring of fire resistance will make you immune to fire attacks, a wand of fire allows you to make a fire attack and so on. You should be given enough information about items to use them sensibly without doing any external research. If you want to though, go ahead.

For the curious, all items in this game are considered to be uncursed unless you are otherwise notified. You will be informed what the BUC status means if it changes. In general, if cursed, attack items may miss and/or destroy themselves, healing items may not work as well, armor will be unremovable, things like that.

Clarifications

Clarifications should be asked in bold orange.

It is said that the Dev Team thinks of everything, but I don't. Here's where I provide additional information

Is Item X in the game?
CLARIFICATION DENIED

What types of items are in the game?
Amulets, rings, armor, shields, cloaks, helmets, potions, scrolls, wands, tools, artifacts

What exactly does item X do?
CLARIFICATION DENIED

How are vote ties resolved?
This is NetHack. Randomly of course. One will die. As for what happens to the others? CLARIFICATION DENIED. Are you feeling lucky?

Secondary votes are also randomly decided. No votes is considered a tie between all options

What is the action order?
Equipment changes > Vote > Roleblocking > Defensive items/abilities > Offensive items/abilities > Other items/abilities > Healing > Ongoing status effects > Item transfer / Loot. Note that the vote target's abilities/items do NOT fire unless they escape the vote somehow

The villager role PM sounds like the village is every-man-for-himself
The village win condition is to eliminate the mafia.

Are weapons not in the game?
Artifact weapons are, normal weapons aren't

How does controlled polymorph work?
Send me a list of monsters. I will start at the top of the list and work down, you get the first monster than can be polymorphed into in this game and associated powers. If you have "random" as the last entry you will polymorph according to the uncontrolled rules without the possibility of a "new self" polymorph. "New self" is a legal polymorph option and will always work. Death by polymorph will not occur

How do wishes work?
Send me a list of wishes in order of priority. The first item that gets accepted (not granted!) will be your wish. You may wish for any item at all, if it cannot be put in the game it will be ignored, if it can then the wish will either succeed or fail based on the usual rules. It is possible to wish for items not in the existing item list, if I can put it in I will, although that item will still never be randomly generated as loot. You may specify blessed/uncursed/cursed if you wish, if you do not blessed will be assumed; fireproofing and the like are automatically added, enchantments are automatically at maximum. If you wish for an artifact or a specific quantity of items I apply the same rules the game does

What does this lawful/neutral/chaotic mean?
Your role PM will have "You are a lawful/neutral/chaotic human/elf/orc/gnome/dwarf <class>"

It's mostly for flavour, although there are minor differences between the races and alignments, however you all share the same village win condition

Player list

1) Garret Dorigan, chaotic elf ranger, killed by a group of minotaurs
2) Lucedes, little dog, disintegrated
3) The Cow King, lawful human samurai, killed by the touch of death
4) The_Reflection
5) jdarksun, High Priest of Moloch, attempted suicide followed by brutal mobbing
6) Dogbone33, Demogorgon, mobbed because of evilness
7) simulacrum, neutral human tourist, killed by an Angel of Moloch
8) ronrab, War, female chaotic elf ranger, killed by a leocrotta (with the Amulet)
9) Teucrian, lawful human samurai, killed by an air elemental, got better, disintegrated
10) TheLawinator, Vlad the Impaler, killed by a blast of lightning
11) shalmelo, neutral human tourist, killed by Orcus
12) The Anonymous, Oracle of Delphi (polymorphed into a white dragon), disintegrated
13) Egos, pacifist neutral gnome healer, killed by Scorpius
14) Dunadan019, Orion, Ranger Quest Leader, killed by an Angel of Moloch
15) Zellpher
16) Gumpy, Black Dragon, killed by the mob, resurrected, beheaded by the Vorpal Blade
17) Trust
18) romanqwerty, Pestilence, bitten by Vlad the Impaler
19) CoreGoon, lawful human archaeologist, killed by an Angel of Moloch
20) cj iwakura
21) Svenska, neutral human healer, killed by a bolt of death, got better, killed by an Angel of Moloch
22) TrueNeverborn, chaotic orc barbarian, voted out before he could be replaced
23) kime, Death, swarmed by the mob
24) warban, chaotic orc rogue, melted by lava
25) Romantic Undead, Archlich, crumpled into dust
26) simonwolf, lawful dwarf valkyrie, very much dead
27) Darkewolfe, lawful human knight, voted into a grave
28) Delphinidaes

Reserves

Rawkking Goodguy
samurai6966
Darian

Narrations

It begins
Day One, The Dungeons Of Doom and Sokoban
Day Two, The Castle
Day Three, The Quest
Day Four, Ghennom
Day Five, Elemental Planes
Day Six, The Astral Plane

Results

Rider minor victory (elimnation of War)

Phyphor on

• Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !Oh you better believe it.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !I am the Goltana Knight.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This will end excellently won't it?

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So in

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alright

simulacrum on
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Use wand of signup on myself

You are hit by a lime-colored ray! Nothing obvious happens.

ronrab on
  • Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !Sign Up

YASD? Almost certainly.

Teucrian on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    What types of items are in the game?
    Amulets, rings, armor, cloaks, helmets, potions, scrolls, wands, tools, artifacts

Are weapons not in the game?

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Artifact weapons are, normal weapons aren't

Phyphor on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !sign up

Aww yeah

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll elaborate a little on that, this is all in the opening narration so it doesn't matter.

The idea is you're all a bunch of fresh level 1 adventurers who decided to swarm the dungeon instead of going in one at a time. The High Priest doesn't like the idea and is leading a small group of high level monsters to wipe you out, so you would do almost nothing to them even if you did attack them, you need to swarm (vote) or use special weapons (artifacts/wands/etc) to do real damage.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shalmelo, level 1 rogue, died by kicking a sink

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One Nethack noob reporting for duty.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    None Shall Pass
    350px-black_knight.PNG

Egos on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hello

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ;fsightupatch

Zellpher on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !Oh why not

Gumpy on
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes please!

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DingDingDingDing

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    CoreGoonCoreGoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Phalla?

Phalla.

CoreGoon on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm...

!okay

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like fun

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    9 more...

Phyphor on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So , this is kind of a bump, will this game be a complete massacre of those unfamiliar with the source material?

e.g. should we read it intensely less we be destroyed by STUPIDIUS

Egos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Not really, no. Knowing the source material will help, but if it ends up making that much of a difference then I probably designed this poorly.

Someone who's played before will probably make better decisions than someone who hasn't, they will know what some of the items do just from the name and can better choose between them, they would be able to make better use of things like a wish, know certain attributes of the monsters present, stuff like that.

And I can always link people to explanations of how things work in NetHack, with the caveat that not everything translates 100%. If, for example, someone wanted to know why their wand of death didn't kill their target, I would say something like this:
    One or more of the following applies:

You were roleblocked (did not lose a charge, so you will know if this is the case)
    You were redirected to another target (possibly a miss) by an ability or item of the target, or an effect on you (you will know all effects on you)

http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/343/wan1-343.html#death
    If monster is Death, his maximum HP are increased by 50% (to a limit of 999) and he is healed to maximum HP.
    If monster is magic resistant, a demon, or non-living, no effect.
    Otherwise, kills the monster.

This should put people somewhat close to information parity with those who have played before. Someone who has played will probably know what abilities or items allowed that person to escape, but I can't give everything away.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    CoreGoonCoreGoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is it usually this silent in here? o_O

CoreGoon on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some people are intimidated by the source material maybe? We just need more signups!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I guess I scared lots of people away with my dire warnings of potential randomness and confusion.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    TrueNeverbornTrueNeverborn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !signing up the hacking!

TrueNeverborn on
    So if you love games and I love games... Why are we not playing... **sees the forum** OOOOHHHH Yeh!
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I sign up! Would have done so earlier, if only to kill B:L, but I was busy being bused across the country very inefficiently.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !signup

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Must not be enough charges in the wand of signup...

ronrab on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !reserve up

In about two days this will become a signup as I become finished with finals.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, don't know how well I'll do in this as I've never played NetHack, but what the hell.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This hasn't filled yet?

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yay, more people!

If we hit 28+ today we start tomorrow

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, don't know how well I'll do in this as I've never played NetHack, but what the hell.
    I've never even heard of NetHack!

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    kime wrote: »

As a video game geek, you totally lose your cred if you don't know about the game that spawned Diablo and its clones.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    kime wrote: »

As a video game geek, you totally lose your cred if you don't know about the game that spawned Diablo and its clones.

It was released a long time ago :(. And to be fair, I didn't actually play Diablo all that much, so there!

kime on
    Steam profile