As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Foodening - PAX Foodie Destinations

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Im gonna be trying Lark and going back to Tango soon. Tango is hella close to WSCTC and I went there a while ago but I seriously don't remember it because I was drunk.

mrt144 on
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any personal experiences with the Dragonfish Cafe in the bottom of the Paramount Hotel (1 block North)?

I have heard they do Bento boxes for lunch... It is more then close enough to try out if it is decent.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just visited Seattle in March for the firs time, these are a couple places I really enjoyed:

Marcela's Creole Cookery
    106 James St
    Seattle, WA 98127
    (206) 223-0042
    Distance from Convention Center: .9 miles (Yeah its a hike but the food is awesome)
    Price: $$
    Description: I was hesitant to try creole food in Seattle of all places but really it lives up to it and was amazingly good food by a New Orleans native that moved after Katrina.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/marcelas-creole-cookery-seattle

Lowell's Restaurant
    1519 Pike Place
    (at Post Aly)
    Seattle, WA 98101
    (206) 622-2036
    Distance: .5 Miles its down in the Pike Place Market
    Price: $$
    Description: Tasty tasty breakfast, awesome view. Make sure you go upstairs and sit near a window.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/lowells-restaurant-seattle

Piroshky Piroshky
    1908 Pike Place
    (between Stewart St & Western Ave)
    Seattle, WA 98101
    (206) 441-6068
    Distance: .5 Miles its also down in the Market area.
    Description: Tasty, fast, and filling. They sell these pastries filled with all sorts of sweet or savory stuff. We grabbed a few of these actually for our flight home. So they're good cold and hot.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/piroshky-piroshky-seattle

There was also a place in the market selling tasty Vietnamese meat buns, though they had a different name for them. Those are also excellent on the run.

ransim on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ransim wrote: »
    Piroshky Piroshky

YES. How did I forget about them? There's often a huge line there, and for good reason. OMG their Salmon Piroshkies are teh sex.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Piroshky Piroshky

YES. How did I forget about them? There's often a huge line there, and for good reason. OMG their Salmon Piroshkies are teh sex.

Double YES

The rosemary chicken one is delicious, as is the potato mushroom one

I want one now :(

Usagi on
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    joel158 wrote: »
    when in fremont, skip paseo, and go to royal grinders instead. better sandwiches, less wait time, and free gelato samples while you are waiting.
    Royal Grinders is a Penny Arcade favorite.

Blue Moon Burgers (also in Fremont) is also AMAZING. It's basically sex in burger form.

Have you guys had lunchbox laboratory burgers? Its kind of a tiny dive but the burgers and fries are really awesome and I wonder how it compare to blue moon.

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited April 2010
    stabn_ wrote: »
    Have you guys had lunchbox laboratory burgers? Its kind of a tiny dive but the burgers and fries are really awesome and I wonder how it compare to blue moon.
    No...with so much quality food in walking distance, we're typically pretty reluctant to get into a car.

I'm intrigued, though.

David Coffman on
    edited April 2010
    No...with so much quality food in walking distance, we're typically pretty reluctant to get into a car.

I'm intrigued, though.

Yeah you guys are kind of spoiled in that area. A google image search for their burgers might have you piling into a car in record time though. Specifically these:

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/diningtravel/restaurants/burgers_seattle
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3226632507_057b36271f.jpg

stabn_ on
  • MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm intrigued, though.

Yeah you guys are kind of spoiled in that area. A google image search for their burgers might have you piling into a car in record time though. Specifically these:

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/diningtravel/restaurants/burgers_seattle

Hoooly crap. Annnd I just found a definite place that I will be going.

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any personal experiences with the Dragonfish Cafe in the bottom of the Paramount Hotel (1 block North)?

I have heard they do Bento boxes for lunch... It is more then close enough to try out if it is decent.

If you like real sushi, you will hate Dragonfish. They're the kind of place that puts jalapeno in their sushi rolls.

My new favorite place downtown is Fonte, it's a coffee and wine bar on 1st ave and Union, across the street from SAM and next to the Lusty Lady... they serve Salumi meats, cheese plates, brunch and entrees, and baked goods... they also blend their own Sangria and have some great wine! I'm hoping all of PAX won't hear about this place so I have somewhere to go for dinner every night! ... and lunch... and maybe breakfast...

MetaverseNomad on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you like real sushi, you will hate Dragonfish. They're the kind of place that puts jalapeno in their sushi rolls.

Add the Red Fin sushi bar to that list. They sure make a pretty plate, but the quality, flavor and "authenticity" of the meals were sub-par.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30656801&id=1128694086

Stupid on

26904.png
    edited April 2010
    Dragonfish/Red Fin/Wasabi Bistro are all reasonable places to get together with friends and drink and have a nice meal. But if you want quality sushi you want Nishino or Shiro's. For a complete and authentic Japanese menu (not just sushi) its Maneki in the international district. I suggest reservations at any of these places. They don't require them but you might end up waiting well over an hour without them.

stabn_ on
    edited April 2010

I'm intrigued, though.

Awww those pictures make me wish I hadn't given up meat.

/em sadface

ransim on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stupid wrote: »

Add the Red Fin sushi bar to that list. They sure make a pretty plate, but the quality, flavor and "authenticity" of the meals were sub-par.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30656801&id=1128694086

That's mostly true, but Red Fin does have its moments. The last time I went was because a friend of mine wanted to go for her birthday, and it was pretty good that time! I had the chirashi that day.

If you want to get out of the downtown area (and wait around for an hour), I suggest Musashi's in Wallingford on 45th. Umi Sake House in Belltown is good too, like ET said, great quality, but their happy hour portions were really, really scaled down recently. The happy hour sashimi was so thin, like, cracker thin, and tiny. :( oh, and Nishino, yummmm....

MetaverseNomad on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kjeldor wrote: »
    Hmmm... no mention of ...

The Pink Door / 0.7 / Italian fusion / $$ / The Pink Door

Really a good place for dinner in the Market. I had some gnocchi there that was better than sex. Just don't have the veal (looks like they took it off the menu anyway).

mmmmmm.....yes. ate there with some friends during PAX08, and remember it being pretty tasty.

I think I might hit that one up this year.

Krathoon on
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you are up on Cap Hill there is a very tiny little bar/bistro called Bleu that has the best Wasabi Grilled Cheese Sandwich ever. The service is usually terrible, but the interior is unique.

Masquerade78 on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is that Bambuza, a Vietnamese bistro, any good? It is just up the street from the convention center.

Krathoon on
  • StillwaterBalmStillwaterBalm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some of you may remember Todai, that awesome all-you-can-eat Japanese and Chinese restaurant across from Johnny Rocket's in the Pacific Place shopping center. It has "relocated", specifically to "nowhere else in Seattle, suckers". A moment of silence, please. ... On the bright side, a location is about to open up in Boston. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be close enough to PAX East to be an eating option next year! The Sunday lobster buffet was just about the best way to end PAX Prime last year that I could imagine- binging on seafood really helps alleviate post-PAX woes.

StillwaterBalm on
    Baffling.
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I never cared for Todai. Felt the quality of the food was too low to make the all-you-can-eat aspect remotely appealing. Good riddance I say.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    still workin on this. been suuuuper busy with work. Will update some more as i have free time.

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
    edited May 2010
    Some of you may remember Todai, that awesome all-you-can-eat Japanese and Chinese restaurant across from Johnny Rocket's in the Pacific Place shopping center. It has "relocated", specifically to "nowhere else in Seattle, suckers". A moment of silence, please. ... On the bright side, a location is about to open up in Boston. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it's going to be close enough to PAX East to be an eating option next year! The Sunday lobster buffet was just about the best way to end PAX Prime last year that I could imagine- binging on seafood really helps alleviate post-PAX woes.

If you have a car you could consider Bluefin in Northgate as an alternative. Very similar menus. It is about 15 minutes from the convention center though. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/1/182552/restaurant/Northgate/Bluefin-Seattle

I wouldn't really consider it a 'foodie' place though.

stabn_ on
  • orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So pho bac? yes please! that place is absolutely amazing,

Also my wife and I did breakfast at lowells down in pike place market, and it was absolutely amazing, GINORMOUS cinammon rolls and really good beef hash

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
  • stmephstmeph Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    This is my first PAX, so I'm not sure how much time I should plan to square away if I'd like to visit any of these places. I know that restaurants and bars tend to get pretty crowded in Indy for GenCon, so I wasn't really able to go out for a decent meal except maybe once or twice in the evening -- the night I got into town and the night before leaving.

Would it be too much to ask for additional notes as to which places: 1) take reservations, or 2) do take-out?

stmeph on
    edited May 2010
    Uh, Seattle's a pretty large city. PAX is hardly going to crowd out all the restaurants unless you're unwilling to walk more than a couple of blocks from the convention center.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Uh, Seattle's a pretty large city. PAX is hardly going to crowd out all the restaurants unless you're unwilling to walk more than a couple of blocks from the convention center.

I was mostly concerned because GenCon draws something like 30,000-35,000 people; from what I've read, PAX draws 60,000+. While Seattle is more of a foodie city than Indianapolis, I'd still like to maximize the amount of time I can spend at the con itself while getting some good food nearby. Some other threads have noted waits of over an hour, so take-out becomes extremely interesting to me, if I can call in an order while looking at their menu online, or if they take reservations, so I don't have to worry about waiting at all.

Places that are more than a few blocks away are certainly reasonable, but I'm not sure that anything over 1-1.5 miles wouldn't require additional transportation without spending an unreasonable amount of time. How is public transportation in Seattle? Or do people just take taxis?

stmeph on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    stmeph wrote: »
    How is public transportation in Seattle? Or do people just take taxis?

Within a certain area covering downtown the buses are free to ride for most of the day. While I didn't take a bus during the time I was there last year I saw plenty of bus stops and schedules while walking around the town. For more info on the metro system you should probably check out: http://www.seattle.gov/html/citizen/bus.htm

This map is especially helpful: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/area_images/CBDSeattleMap.pdf

cocowoushi on
    edited May 2010
    Seattle isn't really a taxi city, though there are plenty around. Seattle Metro is kind of a joke. They usually aren't on time and do not attract the best element.

However you shouldn't have too much of a wait if you focus on things in the 0.5-1 mile range. Anything within 2-3 blocks of the WSCTC will be thronged.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only places we ever had to wait were the food vendors within the convention center (30 minute wait for a cup of coffee! a 45 minute wait at the little pizza place and they RAN OUT of food!) or the "Daily Grill" (the restaurant in the Sheraton - literally across the street form the show).

Meanwhile, the wait at a restaurant that was as close as 4 blocks to the convention center was... well, you wouldn't have had time to read this posting. :)

Stupid on

26904.png
    edited May 2010
    Excellent. So from what you're all telling me, so long as I'm willing to hoof it > 4 blocks, food will be abundant, and drink, free-flowing.

:rotate::rotate::rotate:

stmeph on
    edited May 2010
    Seattle isn't really a taxi city, though there are plenty around. Seattle Metro is kind of a joke. They usually aren't on time and do not attract the best element.

However you shouldn't have too much of a wait if you focus on things in the 0.5-1 mile range. Anything within 2-3 blocks of the WSCTC will be thronged.

o_O Wasn't the experience I had with the Seattle buses...

But again my comparison would be the DC Metro which is lulz at the best of times.

ransim on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you're willing to walk more than a couple of blocks away from the convention center you can generally find things to eat without waiting too long (if at all).

Or, more accurately, find something better than Subway in the same amount of time you'd be waiting in line.

ASimPerson on
    edited May 2010

But again my comparison would be the DC Metro which is lulz at the best of times.

Yeah well, I lived around Seattle for over two decades. I've seen the Metro there at its worst. However I don't doubt that DC Metro is bleh. I've only had to ride it a few times to figure out what it must be like at the worst of times.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2010

Yeah well, I lived around Seattle for over two decades. I've seen the Metro there at its worst. However I don't doubt that DC Metro is bleh. I've only had to ride it a few times to figure out what it must be like at the worst of times.

So you're saying Seattle's bus service is bad compared to..what? Seattle actually has pretty good bus service compared to most large cities, you just don't have the experience with other bus systems to realize it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Seattle's bus service is like a limo service compared to the RTA here in Cleveland.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ElanoaElanoa Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Must add... Mashiko! It's 5.7 miles by bus from the WSTCC, but it's the only sustainable sushi restaurant in the state - and the nerdiest. The head chef and owner is a huge Hayao Miyazaki fan with a Ponyo wobble doll on his work area. If you go early it's dead quiet. That and they make namagi nigiri, which is awesome.

Added bonus: they're two stores down from the truly nom nom nom worthy Bakery Nouveau and across the street from Cupcake Royale.

Elanoa on
    edited May 2010

So you're saying Seattle's bus service is bad compared to..what? Seattle actually has pretty good bus service compared to most large cities, you just don't have the experience with other bus systems to realize it.

Our bus drivers: Edit: these are all referring to DC Metro drivers

Stop to solicit sex.
    Get KFC
    Beat up McGruff

Just a few examples...

Winners. All of them.

ransim on
    edited May 2010
    you're still not showing how our bus system compares to other major cities

instead to support your claim, you post a few incidents

yeah, we have a pretty good bus system compared to most areas in the U.S. and you're wrong

edit: silly me, I got you confused with Electric Turtle and thought you were trying to argue Seattle Metro is crap

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Right next to Shortys is a pretty good noodle place, Noodle Ranch, that is cheap. It's ~1 mile from the convention center so I wouldn't mention it, except that it's next door to Shortys. The awesome bar with some arcade games and a bunch of pinball in the back. And a second awesome bar behind the pinball.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited May 2010
    you're still not showing how our bus system compares to other major cities

instead to support your claim, you post a few incidents

yeah, we have a pretty good bus system compared to most areas in the U.S. and you're wrong

edit: silly me, I got you confused with Electric Turtle and thought you were trying to argue Seattle Metro is crap

No worries, I should have been more specific. I loved the Seattle bus and train system while I was there in March. I found the drivers and other riders to be generally helpful, the system was fairly straight forward and you just cannot beat the free bus rides until 7 PM in the downtown area.

The buses may have been a bit older and the crowd definitely way more colorful, but it was a fair cry for me from any other major bus system I've used, including DC, NYC and Boston.

The Light rail from the airport too? Seriously awesome and incredibly cheap/convenient.

But yeah those articles are all DC's WMATA. Epic amounts of fail.

ransim on
    edited May 2010

My frame of reference is the public transit provided by Seattle Metro's northern neighbor Community Transit which is cleaner, less crowded, and more frequently on time. Some of their buses are actually almost comfortable, even if they seem to crash more often (I personally was in two CT buses that crashed... fun times).

Also you can get off your high horse about the whole thing, as can everybody else whose experience with Seattle Metro is limited to a week or so a year. I have ridden many different lines over many decades, some years 5+ days a week, as have my parents, grandparents, and extended family since there ever was a Seattle Metro.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
This discussion has been closed.