As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Humble Indie Bundle

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LearnedHand you are very awful and no one cares about your brilliant ideas so please go away.

captaink on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah it sure would be great if he didn't post no more

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys. Let's just say "troll" a thousand times. That's cool, right? Cool kids say that, I think. And most adults.

I don't want to get into the whole "charity" or lack thereof of this thing because I don't really care. But it's obviously not nearly as altruistic as is made out here. A charitable thing would be the developers giving their money to a charity. This is obviously a money making stunt using the charitable angle to increase their own profits. Charities will make some money as well but that's incidental. The goal is to maximise profits, not be charitable.

Naturally, most people use pirated software. What does that have to do with anything? I paid for my copy and I'm suggesting a legal course of action with this selling.

People that buy the software > Pirates who steal it > You "buying" their software for free and reselling at a profit

It may be legal, but its still a dick move there chief.

Sticks on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys. Let's just say "troll" a thousand times. That's cool, right? Cool kids say that, I think. And most adults.

I don't want to get into the whole "charity" or lack thereof of this thing because I don't really care. But it's obviously not nearly as altruistic as is made out here. A charitable thing would be the developers giving their money to a charity. This is obviously a money making stunt using the charitable angle to increase their own profits. Charities will make some money as well but that's incidental. The goal is to maximise profits, not be charitable.

Naturally, most people use pirated software. What does that have to do with anything? I paid for my copy and I'm suggesting a legal course of action with this selling.

You are pretty objectively a terrible person.

A duck! on
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Samorost 2 is in it now, as well? Fantastic.

So, anyone else playing lugaru, the terrifying ninja rabbit game? Because it's damn difficult. It went from mildly challenging to HURGH BURGH RAGE in the span of a single level.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
    edited May 2010
    I haven't played anything but World of Goo so far.

It was worth the price of the bundle all by itself.

Sticks on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LearnedHand, get the fuck out of my thread.

edit: Samarost 2? Score!

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FlatEric wrote: »
    Samorost 2 is in it now, as well? Fantastic.

So, anyone else playing lugaru, the terrifying ninja rabbit game? Because it's damn difficult. It went from mildly challenging to HURGH BURGH RAGE in the span of a single level.

I'm at the level where you have to kill 4 of the... really tough enemies you get a score boost for in a row, and I always get killed after the 2nd or 3rd one. I managed to do a lot better once I realized they were pretty vulnerable to leg sweeps, but it's still not enough - each enemy gets several hits on me no matter what I do, and by the 3rd enemy that's enough to kill me.

fallaxdraco on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gish is really hard

like, some of the controls are a little weird and its tough to get used to how the cut little tarball moves

but by level three I haven't found one single secret and now I'm getting to parts where some of the coins you're supposed to collect are in plain view but impossible (for me at any rate) to get to

MrMonroe on
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    World of goo is pretty fantastic. And Aquaria has beautiful music, I'm really impressed.

fallaxdraco, it sounds like you're farther ahead than I am. I can't get past the mission where you have to kill the raider sentries: there's four pillars. The first has 1 enemy, the second has 2, the third has 3, and the last one has an armored enemy. And they all have knives.

My main issue is getting my guy to actually attack. I can counter, dodge, jump, whatever, but when it comes to attacking, no matter whether I hold the attack button or try and time it, he tends to just stand there.

Only with the knife is this a problem. Unarmed combat is peachy.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, Penumbra is pretty terrifying. I bought it on Steam awhile back and I still haven't played more than about an hour of it. I really should try and play more of it but I get too into those sort of games and the atmosphere is really top notch. However, the rest of these games look fun so I'll go ahead and pick this up.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited May 2010
    I bought the entire penumbra series (overture, black plague, and requiem) along with wex majors back when it was on sale on steam.

I still haven't played it more than an hour.

I'm, uh, not very good with horror games.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
    edited May 2010
    although it is really cool when you do find one and that disembodied voice says seeeeecreeeeet

MrMonroe on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    due to previous negative feedback I will not be paying one penny for these games.

Elaborate!

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bought'd. I was going through this weird process where I figured I actually didn't want to play any of the games (I already own and adore Gish and World of Goo), but I got over myself and realized that I'm all for supporting endeavours like this.

Darric on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Woot! I found the problem. My ISPs DNS servers were screwing up so it couldn't find the site.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    whoa, these mother fuckers just gave me samorost 2 for no reason! awesome!

edit: Samorost 2 should be added to the OP because you now get that also. I love this.

Food on
    edited May 2010
    Aquaria is officially the kitten's pajamas

MrMonroe on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It was really cool from what I played of the demo. I will be looking forward to diving into that game again!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Water pun!

Darric on
  • Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got an ocean of'm!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited May 2010
    I sea what you did there.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    well, water you wading for, camp?

tide me over with a steady stream of them!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used this as an excuse to finally give the EFF money.

Finished Overture last Christmas, and I don't know if I'll ever play Black Plague.
    gigantic
    fucking
    worm

Antithesis on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm broke so I'm going to go ahead and pay a couple of bucks. You guys keep spending more to balance me out

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm downloading these for my mac because the only other game I have on here is Machinarium

and it's nice have games on here

oh and I paid 20 bucks

#pipe on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is really neat! I... I really shouldn't because I should be saving up for my trip to Tokyo at the end of the month.

But... I just... I can't possibly not.

Kinda feel like a jerk only throwing down twenty dollars but I think that's what I am going to do.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh Jesus fucking christ.

Words cannot describe how much I hate every single one of these people.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/10/one-quarter-of-humble-indie-bundle-downloads-were-pirated/

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Despite the idiotic pirates' best efforts, I'd say this whole project was a smashing success. Eight hundred thousand dollars is pretty awesome. Showing the computed average throughout the event was a stroke of genius, as far as psychological efforts to combat the effects of internet anonymity are concerned. Although I wouldn't have hidden the "high score" contributers behind a sliding tab. Unless that was to discourage highscore defacement contributions? I guess it's a trade-off.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that average probably doesn't account for the 1/4 of people that payed NOOTTTHIINNGGGGG

i ended up not getting it because i am very lazy

also: I am pretty sure a big chunk of that 25% of people were dudes who did not have a credit/debit card

Raneados on
    edited May 2010
    The article I linked earlier about the 90% piracy rate on world of goo wasn't the one I originally read, just the one I could find at the moment. The other article mentioned that 2D Boy didn't really care about the piracy rate because sales were strong enough to keep the company afloat.

I know other companies (i.e. Stardock) have evinced a similar attitude. Its unfortunate, but at least there are enough people who recognize the value of these products willing to pony up so that these companies can continue making fine games.

Sticks on
    edited May 2010
    Oh Jesus fucking christ.

Words cannot describe how much I hate every single one of these people.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/10/one-quarter-of-humble-indie-bundle-downloads-were-pirated/

Don't go to the equivalent article at Ars then. There's a group of about 3-4 people there shitting up the thread with unironic "Information just wants to be free man. You can't own bits. You can't charge for ideas."

Like, I'm having an identity crisis because I'm finding myself on the same side of the discussion as a dude who in a previous copyright thread honestly said that if he ruled the world all thieves, no matter what they stole, would be killed and copyright infringement is theft.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just got in on this for $20. World of Goo is the only part of the bundle I already own, so I'm excited to have lots of new games to try.

I think using the term "piracy" to describe people avoiding paying $0.01 is a little overblown, incidentally. I mean it's shitty to pay one cent for it, too, but that's how the developers decided to set it up, so getting indignant about it is silly.

Better, in my opinion, to accentuate the positive - they're averaging nearly $9 per purchase, which seems pretty good to me. Total raised is over $900k. I don't know what their costs are exactly, but I suspect all the participants, devs and charities alike, will make out well at the end of the day!

Supraluminal on
    edited May 2010
    Well, the devs were asking for people to pay, literally any amount of money for the product. They didn't even care if you paid one cent and made it all go to charity (thus costing the devs about $.30). I think they were just expressing disappointment at the number of people who didn't even do that.

They even made contributions in the name of people who emailed them saying they couldn't pay so they could get the games.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    That page is just refusing to load for me right now, (just like facebook and half the rest of the internet) but how are people pirating direct downloads? Is the implication that someone has paid for it and is now sharing their download link or is it that someone has paid for it and the torrent is already up?

edit: yup, the torrent is up on a few sites

they didn't even bother to change the file description from the blurb on wolfire's site describing the pay what you want scheme

MrMonroe on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sharing the download link, which is why they said that they'd prefer pirates torrent it since it won't use bandwidth on their servers
    I do have one humble request though --

If you are deadset on pirating the bundle, please consider downloading it from BitTorrent instead of using up our bandwidth!

Also, even though you are pirating our games, please tell some of your friends about the Humble Indie Bundle. Posting to Facebook, telling your Twitter followers, (or simply talking to someone) sure doesn't require a credit card.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited May 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    That page is just refusing to load for me right now, (just like facebook and half the rest of the internet) but how are people pirating direct downloads? Is the implication that someone has paid for it and is now sharing their download link or is it that someone has paid for it and the torrent is already up?

edit: yup, the torrent is up on a few sites

they didn't even bother to change the file description from the blurb on wolfire's site describing the pay what you want scheme

I was having trouble getting the page to load as well from my house. Manually setting my DNS server to 4.2.2.2 worked (though it screwed up a couple other sites for some reason.)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's definitely best to look at how positive this has been. I mean, it's pretty fucking amazing!

But it also says a lot about the nature of pirates. If these people aren't willing to pay anything for a six game bundle with proceeds going to charity, then they're a lost cause and not worth trying to deal with.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How long is this supposed to be up for

If it's still up tonight I may grab it even though I have all the Penumbra stuff already

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg