As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]abeetus

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, what? He got blasted to bits by Alliance ships. On Draenor. Yeah, that makes sense.

Samphis on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I ain't counting some shitty book

captaink on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    captaink wrote: »

Well that's just too fucking bad, isn't it, since everything else in the game has included those books as being gospel.

Henroid on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »
    id8w20.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

ftfy

Oh god. Oh god yes. I love blizzard sometimes.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

Well that's just too fucking bad, isn't it, since everything else in the game has included those books as being gospel.

And I will continue pushing back against this stupid policy of theirs.

captaink on
    edited May 2010
    They should really tell story bits (that are essential to understanding the games) in the games.

Samphis on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

And I will continue pushing back against this stupid policy of theirs.

What you call policy I call "it's their fucking story that they can tell via any mediums they wish."

Henroid on
    edited May 2010
    Samphis wrote: »
    They should really tell story bits (that are essential to understanding the games) in the games.

What happened to Death Wing has been explained in WoW loosely. The essential stuff. "Hey this dragon lord fucking hates mortals and wants them to die" is what you need to understand.

Henroid on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Warcraft lore hasn't made sense in a long, long time

People who seriously try to pay attention to the story in this game are like people who try to make some sort of continuity out of Zelda games

It doesn't work, you're wasting your time

Salvation122 on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was talking to a friend of mine, who does not play WoW, but was really into the WC games and lore. When I told him about Cata and DW he got really irked about the whole thing. Last he recalled DW was "just a big black dragon" and is in no way shape or form more powerful than Arthas. I just smiled and nodded. He also thinks its stupid that you can defeat Arthas in this game. When asked if WoW was a series of RTS games and you and your "army" defeated Arthas in that,would that be ok? He said yes. I again smiled and nodded.

Mutilate on
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    He (DW) woke up because they(Blizzard) needed something for us to do.

He(DW) also hates puppies.

RedDawn on
    edited May 2010
    Warcraft lore hasn't made sense in a long, long time

People who seriously try to pay attention to the story in this game are like people who try to make some sort of continuity out of Zelda games

It doesn't work, you're wasting your time

That's a super unfair comparison.

Warcraft lore makes sense. It just has a varying amount of dumb shit, depending on if you like it or despise it. And I'm not about to argue about it lacking shit - it has plenty of it. But it flows and makes sense. The only super bad hiccup they had happen was the draenei thing, and Garona.

People who try to make continuity out of Zelda is silly.

Henroid on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

What happened to Death Wing has been explained in WoW loosely. The essential stuff. "Hey this dragon lord fucking hates mortals and wants them to die" is what you need to understand.

I think the whole Emerald Dream stuff being handled in a book is what has a lot of people cheesed off, considering they dropped so many hints about it through vanilla about it and the morrowgrain stuff

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited May 2010
    Has there been any mention of new CoT stuff? It would be nice to advance the whole Chromatic Dragionflight story along a little more. We really don't much of anything about any of it.

Mutilate on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »

I think the whole Emerald Dream stuff being handled in a book is what has a lot of people cheesed off, considering they dropped so many hints about it through vanilla about it and the morrowgrain stuff

Everything about possible corruption in the dream started in WoW. Not having it finish there really sucks.

Javen on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Warcraft lore is bad because pretty much everything boils down to A WIZARD DID IT

I mean, the Forsaken and DKs alone don't make any goddamn sense given what we know about the Scourge, but that was just kind of handwaved away and no one really questioned it. Pretty much all of BC was dumb - Vashj's dastardly plot is to guard a giant (underwater, which... yeah) lake? Really?

Some of it's cool - the Wrathgate questline, for example, is awesome, as is the concept behind Twilight's Hammer (which they never really did anything with). But most of it's pretty nonsensical.

Salvation122 on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Warcraft lore is bad because pretty much everything boils down to A WIZARD DID IT

I mean, the Forsaken and DKs alone don't make any goddamn sense given what we know about the Scourge, but that was just kind of handwaved away and no one really questioned it. Pretty much all of BC was dumb - Vashj's dastardly plot is to guard a giant (underwater, which... yeah) lake? Really?

Some of it's cool - the Wrathgate questline, for example, is awesome, as is the concept behind Twilight's Hammer (which they never really did anything with). But most of it's pretty nonsensical.

Twilight Hammer is playing a really big role in cataclysm. They're apparently going from the bumbling, inept fanatics they are now to pretty badass fanatics come cataclysm

Javen on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Do we even know what the hell happened to Turalyon and Alleria? That's almost as bad as the old Missing Diplomat stuff as far as abruptness goes.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited May 2010
    Not liking lore does not equate to it not making sense (the opposite can be true).

A bad explanation does not equate to no explanation.

Henroid on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Do we even know what the hell happened to Turalyon and Alleria? That's almost as bad as the old Missing Diplomat stuff as far as abruptness goes.

No, although I think it's safe to assume they are dead. They were on Draenor when everything went kablooey, after all. Casualties are to be expected.

Well, it would be safe, if there wasn't a chance they'd be brought back just for shits and giggles.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If I remember correctly, Rhonin and his wife(forget her name), along with a dwarf, and some red dragons(Krasus and Alexstrasza) pretty much put Deathwing in his place. He was trying to use the demonsoul again.

Man, that book could have been better.

RE: Dwarf shaman: There have been dwarf shaman in the game for a long time. Wildhammers, represent! Can't wait to stomp some horde with Earth, Wind, and Fire(water? if we have time).

edit:
    End wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

No, although I think it's safe to assume they are dead. They were on Draenor when everything went kablooey, after all. Casualties are to be expected.

Well, it would be safe, if there wasn't a chance they'd be brought back just for shits and giggles.

Turalyon and Alleria's kid is chilling out in Honor Hold, doing basically nothing.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Warcraft lore is bad because pretty much everything boils down to [strike]A WIZARD DID IT[/strike] Nozdormu did it.

Every inconsistency with the lore can be explained away as the bronze dragonflight adjusting the timeline.

Poketpixie on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At first as a relatively new player I felt bad for not knowing warcraft's lore. Now I have decided that not knowing the lore is pretty much the best way to go.

jackal on
    edited May 2010
    Turalyon and Alleria's kid is chilling out in Honor Hold, doing basically nothing. Someone else mentions them, some dude in Netherstorm.

Does he go by another name or something?

wowwiki and wowhead claim to have no knowledge of Turalyon's whereabouts.

End on
    edited May 2010
    You don't really need to be that involved in it to enjoy the game. I see that as a plus.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    The Ice Stone has melted.

Samphis on
    edited May 2010
    End wrote: »
    Turalyon and Alleria's kid is chilling out in Honor Hold, doing basically nothing. Someone else mentions them, some dude in Netherstorm.

Does he go by another name or something?

wowwiki and wowhead claim to have no knowledge of Turalyon's whereabouts.

I haven't been able to find any solid facts, so I removed the portion "Someone else mentions them". I bet it's safe to assume they are both dead.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, what? He got blasted to bits by Alliance ships. On Draenor. Yeah, that makes sense.

Actually, in Day of the Dragon, it's mentioned that Deathwing didn't die from that. He went on his whole "Lord Prestor" bit, trying to take over the human kingdoms, but then get worked by the Dragon Aspects after the Demon Soul gets fried.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wonder if Deathwing knew about the Scourge and decided to let the puny mortals waste their energy and resources on them before revealing himself. Then again, you think he'd cause the Cataclysm as we're assaulting Icecrown, so then we'd be double-screwed. But that wouldn't make sense outside of lore for a number of reasons.

I'm looking forward to seeing why the heck Worgen are allowed to be Druids. Trolls make sense, since they've always been nature-kinda guys, and they're probably buddies with Tauren. Worgen are more of a mystery, but I assume the night elves will help them out (how, why, I do not know).

Evil Weevil on
    edited May 2010

Actually, in Day of the Dragon, it's mentioned that Deathwing didn't die from that. He went on his whole "Lord Prestor" bit, trying to take over the human kingdoms, but then get worked by the Dragon Aspects after the Demon Soul gets fried.

This, right here. Deathwing tried it and it didn't work. Then his daughter, under the guise of Katrana Prestor. tried doing the same thing. How do major characters not notice this?

Beyond Normal on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

Everything about possible corruption in the dream started in WoW. Not having it finish there really sucks.

Aye.

Warcraft lore can be kinda dumb in the games and kinda repetitive (Old Gods, sigh, always with the corrupting) but I think it works well enough.

The problem is the lore from OUTSIDE the game shoe-horned into the game with no explanation. Or the shit from the game that gets resolved stupidly in a book no one will ever read. THAT pisses me off.

(Also, that book fucks up Staghelm, who was actually an interesting character but must, of course, be lolevil /sigh)

shryke on
    edited May 2010

This, right here. Deathwing tried it and it didn't work. Then his daughter, under the guise of Katrana Prestor. tried doing the same thing. How do major characters not notice this?

I vote that Plan B shall now be Plan A rehashed.

End on
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Warcraft lore can be kinda dumb in the games and kinda repetitive (Old Gods, sigh, always with the corrupting) but I think it works well enough.

The problem is the lore from OUTSIDE the game shoe-horned into the game with no explanation. Or the shit from the game that gets resolved stupidly in a book no one will ever read. THAT pisses me off.

If you think too hard about any fantasy story, they all get a bit silly.

But I agree with you about the in-game versus out-of-game lore stuff. To me, if it's important to the story in WoW, then it should be in WoW, not some third hand excerpt that I'm suppose to keep up on in order to stay current with what's going on.

That's what pisses me off. I hate this whole but-in-Warcraft-II-but-changed-in-a-book-that-was-changed-in-another-game-that-was-removed-from-the-beta-in-WoW-that-was-updated-in-another-book-that's-being-retconned-for-Cataclysm-so-it-makes-sense-until-we-change-it-to-sell-another-book bullshit.

ironzerg on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Mind control was involved both times, IIRC.

Undead Scottsman on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I'm going to RP a new DK come Cata...
    I am the spawn of ICC-sieging Sylvanas's Arthas-raped necrowomb. I am DarthasVader, true heir to the Lich King's throne!
    Now that I think about it, this has probably already been done in some fashion.

Monsty on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Make sure he's a gnome, just to mess things up even more.

Evil Weevil on
    edited May 2010
    Here we go - the lore is sloppy and not high quality, but it still makes sense with little explanation. No different than many other things I imagine.

Henroid on
    edited May 2010
    Here we go - the lore is sloppy and not high quality, but it still makes sense with little explanation. No different than many other things I imagine.

:winky: good thing thats how I like my lore.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    Well, I think I'm now a source for Cataclysm info. A little birdy has given me the following information and I'm sharing the fuck out of it. The following is spoilers in regard to Graymane and Gilneas.

There's your warning shot, so here it goes:
    The conclusion of the Worgen starting area (Gilneas) involves a fight much like the retaking of the Undercity. You rally with Graymane's troops, fire catapults, all sorts of shit. Sylvanas and Graymane have a standoff, and she takes a shot at him - she ends up hitting his son instead (I don't know if it's a miss or on purpose) and takes off. While the king mourns, you give chase.

You catch her talking to Garrosh, who forbids her from using the plague. The moment he leaves, she give the order for it anyway.
    I got cock-blocked on hearing more.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.