As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]abeetus

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, do either of the two new races have major cities that will actually merit visiting after resolving the introductory quests?

Vincent Grayson on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll answer you later this year when I see it?

Henroid on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Warcraft lore hasn't made sense in a long, long time

People who seriously try to pay attention to the story in this game are like people who try to make some sort of continuity out of Zelda games

It doesn't work, you're wasting your time

That's a super unfair comparison.

Warcraft lore makes sense. It just has a varying amount of dumb shit, depending on if you like it or despise it. And I'm not about to argue about it lacking shit - it has plenty of it. But it flows and makes sense. The only super bad hiccup they had happen was the draenei thing, and Garona.

People who try to make continuity out of Zelda is silly.
    Oh neat! Almost 3 years later my sig is relevant again!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait. Wait wait wait wait. What's this about the entire Emerald Dream arc being resolved in a book?!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Wait. Wait wait wait wait. What's this about the entire Emerald Dream arc being resolved in a book?!

This is the book in question.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was expecting the Emerald Dream to be an expansion. So much for that.

Henroid on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So horrible.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

They could still retcon it. :?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    End wrote: »

That book description doesn't sound like it resolves the story. If anything, it looks like setup for the expansion.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited May 2010
    Yeah the book doesn't quite have a conclusion.

Also I doubt anything Knaak writes would be retconned. He's pretty much Metzen's #2.

Henroid on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Yeah the book doesn't quite have a conclusion.

Also I doubt anything Knaak writes would be retconned. He's pretty much Metzen's #2.

He stands next to Knaak and people go "Hey, did your name turn less silly all of a sudden?"

Echo on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    3.3.5 PTR patch notes are up. Looks like that RealID thing will drop then:
    World of Warcraft PTR Patch 3.3.5

The latest patch notes can always be found at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/

The latest test realm patch notes can always be found at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/test-realm-patchnotes.html

General

* The Ruby Sanctum, an all-new 10- and 25-player raid featuring normal and Heroic difficulties, is now available for testing! Players will find the dungeon entrance below Wyrmrest Temple in Dragonblight.
    * Copied Test Realm characters are not copied with their achievement history in order to better facilitate the character copy process.

User Interface
    Chat Frame

* Players can now right-click on any chat type (Whisper, Trade, General, Party, Raid, etc.) and choose the Pop Out Chat option. This will move that chat type to a separate tab in the Chat frame which can be undocked and moved anywhere on the screen.
    * Using the Pop Out Chat option on a Whisper will place the conversation with that player in a separate tab.
    * Any time a conversation with another player is put into its own tab, the tab will glow when a new message is received.
    * Hovering over the Chat Frame and using the mouse wheel will allow players to scroll through chat text.
    * Players can select Classic Mode under Interface Options to keep the Chat Frame functionality closer to what it was prior to patch 3.3.5.
    * The Simple Chat User Interface option has been removed.

Friends List

* A new icon has been added to the top left of the Chat Frame which will open up the Friends list.
    * In addition to its current functionality, the Friends List will now allow players to add Battle.net accounts (Real ID). Players will have to confirm that they are friends in order for a Real ID to be added. Once Real ID friends, players can communicate cross-game, cross-faction and cross-realm.
    * A new Pending tab has been added where players can accept or decline a Real ID friend request, or select the Report Spam or Block Communications buttons.
    * Players can now select from three statuses which will be visible to their friends: Available, Away and Busy.
    * A Broadcast window has been added to the top of the frame. Players can use this to broadcast a message to all of their Real ID friends online. This message will also be displayed under the broadcaster’s Real ID information in each friend’s list.

For additional notes on Lua and XML changes please visit the UI & Macros Forum: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?sid=1&forumId=11114

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What happaned to 3.3.4?

Javen on
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    What happaned to 3.3.4?

*poof*
    It's gone...

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What happaned to 3.3.4?

*poof*
    It's gone...

It will show up in a book later this month.

Poketpixie on
    edited May 2010
    I c wut u did thar

Beyond Normal on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So my only way to communicate cross-server will be to sign up for that junk?

Meh.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited May 2010
    I like how there's no class changes in this patch. It's like they're saying "Fuck it, we're working on Cata."

Henroid on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's not much of anything this patch. I think that's the most anemic list of content patch notes I've ever seen.

Halfmex on
    edited May 2010
    There's a new fucking dungeon, what are you talking about? I'm sure there's been far less significant patches in the game's life.

Henroid on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    3.3.5.1 will drop a week later after it's been [strike]griefed[/strike] beaten in a creative use of game mechanics.

L Ron Howard on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's a new fucking dungeon, what are you talking about? I'm sure there's been far less significant patches in the game's life.
    Settle down cowboy, I'm just saying for a content patch, the content seems pretty slim. Yes there's a new dungeon, it's Sartharion 2.0, one boss. But other than that, there's a change to the chat mechanics and that's it, which again, seems pretty bare-bones.

I understand why; this patch and the content it holds was a last-minute stopgap pulled out by the dev team to keep people interested in playing rather than have them in ICC for 9 to 10 months (or whatever it ends up being) straight.

Halfmex on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it's entirely possible that they have balance changes that they are holding off until later in the PTR for this patch

say, for after they've worked on the realID stuff

not expecting anything more than minor balance tweaks to anything, though

Dehumanized on
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    End wrote: »

That book description doesn't sound like it resolves the story. If anything, it looks like setup for the expansion.

It solves it for now, basically. They wanted to bring Malfurion back, so this book has him wrapping up the Nightmare stuff for the time being.

Spoilers for Stormrage,
    it tells you that Xavius, a Night Elf-turned-Satyr-turned-Evil!Tree, is the Nightmare Lord and has been fucking up the ED for awhile, with Staghelm helping him. Furion beats him with a Super Hurricane (Seriously) and Staghelm and his followers are locked in the Barrow Dens. It's implied, however, that something much bigger helped Xavius create the Nightmare.

It's basically a huge set up for the grand poobah Old God, with Evil!Staghelm as the new Nightmare Lord.

I would be very surprised if an Emerald Dream expansion doesn't get made. OH! And, by the way, unless you're a masochist (Like me), don't read Stormrage. I like to keep current on the mess that is Warcraft lore, but it's a terrible, terrible book.
    Halfmex wrote:
    Settle down cowboy, I'm just saying for a content patch, the content seems pretty slim. Yes there's a new dungeon, it's Sartharion 2.0, one boss. But other than that, there's a change to the chat mechanics and that's it, which again, seems pretty bare-bones.

I understand why; this patch and the content it holds was a last-minute stopgap pulled out by the dev team to keep people interested in playing rather than have them in ICC for 9 to 10 months (or whatever it ends up being) straight.

And, in case Cataclysm takes too long, we have three more Chambers/Sanctuaries to go. My guess is the Azure Sanctuary next, to help wrap up the Nexus War and the remainder of the Blue Dragonflight. Maybe even select a new Aspect of Magic.

Lynx on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would say it's extremely unlikely that we see another raid dungeon other than Ruby Sanctum between now and Cata.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would say it's extremely unlikely that we see another raid dungeon other than Ruby Sanctum between now and Cata.

Eh, I dunno. With Cata Alpha just starting now, I would say we won't see Cataclysm until at least November. That's six months of raiding ICC and RS. That's a pretty long time with nothing new.

Plus, a new Chamber is probably pretty easy to make. Just a possibility.

Lynx on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How long did the wrath alpha last?

Javen on
    edited May 2010
    Not long enough! Have you seen that Borean Tundra place? Broken terrain testing ground, am I right?!

Henroid on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lynx wrote: »

Eh, I dunno. With Cata Alpha just starting now, I would say we won't see Cataclysm until at least November. That's six months of raiding ICC and RS. That's a pretty long time with nothing new.

Plus, a new Chamber is probably pretty easy to make. Just a possibility.

And there's still another obvious spot for a VoA boss, although I've not heard mention of it being worked on.

Vincent Grayson on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    And there's still another obvious spot for a VoA boss, although I've not heard mention of it being worked on.

Planetvon the Heart Watcher.

Echo on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    and of course, a new one called the Earth Watcher after that

and then an achievement for taking them all on at once.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited May 2010
    How long did the wrath alpha last?
    I think it started sometime between April/May of '08, Beta started around July I believe. So, 2-3 months, something like that.

Halfmex on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Or they all merge Voltron style and you fight their powers combined.

SabreMau on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Or they all merge Voltron style and you fight their powers combined.

Awarding the Planeteer <Name> title and a chance at a mount version of itself.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Samphis wrote: »
    So now I'm trying to tease out ideas about how some of these new class / races would be RP'd. Thinking about goblin and dwarven shaman is a bit of a challenge. Because they still need to maintain their racial profile.

Fuck, what about Death Knights?

I guess you could say your Death Knight was a human who was infected with the Worgen Curse after the fact.

But that would make your DK one unlucky guy.

Could be a worgen that was on the other side of the gate who earned back individuality or personality / lost feralness after becoming a DK.

And who's to say that some people of Gilneas didn't go outside their lands by some other route.

Lore wise it'd have to be like a very scarce amount. But I'm sure in-game every goddamn Worgen DK is going to be like "I'M THE ONLY ONE!"

There are Worgen in Grizzly Hills. I'd assume Arthas just used one of those guys to make a Death Knight.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that.

And how could I. That quest where you have to HOLY FUCK GET THE HELL OUT ON A HORSE'S BACK and throw exploding oil at wolves chasing you. That was badass.

What? You mean that horse that moved as slow as old people fuck?

That quest was terrible. I can walk faster than that horse.

Regina Fong on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked that quest.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I liked that quest.

You ride a moped, don't you?

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2010
    It doesn't matter that it moves slow. It's still fun to me.

Beyond Normal on
    edited May 2010
    I find it horribly frustrating. What's even more frustrating is getting knocked off lame, slow, worthless horse and defeating all the dozens and dozens of worgen that were chasing you, only to find that no you still failed the quest and have to start over from the very beginning.

And whoever decided to allow the daze mechanic to affect the horses speed during that chase was simply a sadistic asshole.

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2010
    You need to dash more, and throw more oil, and thunderclap as well.

Beyond Normal on
This discussion has been closed.