As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AC Challenge Thread 20: Make a Video Game

MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
Here's the deal: You're going to pitch a new video game to the best company in the whole wide world and as you got out of the cab your briefcase opened up and all your documents flew away. Luckily you were able to save the very best picture you drew of your video game idea. Post that picture here.

Also, handcuffing the briefcase to your wrist just made you look like more of a tool, in retrospect.

Also also, RIP m3nace

~ BI-WEEKLY (aka, bi-monthly) CHALLENGE THREAD ~

For those of you who frequent the conceptart.org forums this should be pretty familiar; tens of artistic combatants thrown together in to an artistic arena, each struggling for the honor of being dubbed a master of the visual arts. Those of you who succeed will be bathed in glory and the blood of their competitors, those of you who fail will be exiled to a life of shame and isolation.

The aim of this thread is to try and spice things up a bit here in the ol' Artist's Corner. This thread is for entries in to the challenge or the discussion thereof. If you'd like to suggest a topic for the weekly challenge, go right ahead, but understand that the last winner of the challenge has total control over the task (unless they have won more than two challenges in a row, see rules).

The rules are simple;

RULES:

* One entry per person, per challenge.
* A contestant cannot win more than two challenges in a row.
* Winner gets the privilege of choosing the next challenge.
* At the end of a challenge, the thread is locked and a new one is begun.
* Stick to the challenge topic; no going off on a tangent.
* All formats welcome, whether they be traditional or digital; 2D or 3D; still or animated.

If you're looking for inspiration, check out the aforementioned conceptart.org forums (specifically the creature/environment/character of the week sections).

CHALLENGE 1: Hidden World
CHALLENGE 2: Red Vs Blue
CHALLENGE 3: Satan Teapot
CHALLENGE 4: Crime Fighting Hobo
CHALLENGE 5: Universal Monsters
CHALLENGE 6: Lyric Interpretation
CHALLENGE 7: Santa vs Dinos
CHALLENGE 8: Retro Poster
CHALLENGE 9: Literal Literature
CHALLENGE 10: Choose! Choose the form of the destructor!
CHALLENGE 11: Heroes In a Half Shell
CHALLENGE 12: Fancy Hats
CHALLENGE 13: God Splicing
CHALLENGE 14: Copycats
CHALLENGE 15: Pinups
CHALLENGE 16: Trick or Treat
CHALLENGE 17: How Far We Have Come
CHALLENGE 18: Back to the Retrofuture
CHALLENGE 19: Crime Noir

Metalbourne on

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So much blood!
    Oh hey cool, looking forward to see your games

m3nace on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just figured you died since you weren't around for like a week.

Sorry about that.

Metalbourne on
    edited May 2010
    well I was about to bite myself

m3nace on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This sounds like it's going to be a heap of fun... I doubt I'll have time to enter though. Again. :(

Flay on
    edited May 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    This sounds like it's going to be a heap of fun... I doubt I'll have time to enter though. Again. :(

can't we get a doodle at least? :P

m3nace on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Flay wrote: »

Same here. :(

Paradise on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    gameart.jpg

Im done. Did I win yet?

Wassermelone on
    edited May 2010
    Look, if I were a mod, we'd have voted on this yesterday and you'd be half a day late getting your entry in.

Metalbourne on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Look, if I were a mod, we'd have voted on this yesterday and you'd be half a day late getting your entry in.

Ahh, but its a video game.

Its always late.

Wassermelone on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Look, if I were a mod

Hahaha.

bombardier on
    edited May 2010
    bombardier wrote: »
    Look, if I were a mod

Hahaha.

yeah, good work stickying this thread, by the way.

Metalbourne on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey now, let's all get a long, OK?

I really like this topic, should be a lot of fun.

F87 on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    sweet! this goes pretty well in hand with a blog post i'm writing. i will enter this!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought I might do this, but I haven't had one decent idea since it was posted. All my ideas suck.

Mustang on
  • buzachakabuzachaka Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    when should pics be in by?

buzachaka on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinking Parappa the Rapper meets God of War.
    ...meets Kazaam.

Paradise on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    bombardier wrote: »
    Look, if I were a mod

Hahaha.

yeah, good work stickying this thread, by the way.

Thanks!

bombardier on
    edited May 2010
    buzachaka wrote: »
    when should pics be in by?

Tomorrow morning at 8am

Metalbourne on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God I want to do this. I don't know if I have the technical ability though. I'll give it a shot and post if I come up with something worthwhile.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I already made a video game though.

PROX on
    edited May 2010
    then you're not allowed to enter

Metalbourne on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Prox should most definetly enter. No fully playable games though, that would be so unfair! :]

earthwormadam on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    then you're not allowed to enter

Well you're already are a jerk, so you're not allowed...to something.

PROX on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this is making my brain hurt

many years ago, bombardier asked me what my ideal video game would be like
    and i told him
    but now, thinking of how i could ILLUSTRATE it ... oy vey, i don't know man

mully on
    edited May 2010
    There's a ton of ways to go about this: Backgrounds, character sheets, storyboards, weapon models, etc. It's just one picture that you were able to save. It doesn't tell a complete story and, well, it shouldn't. I wanted to leave it open to everyone, so that people wouldn't think they're constrained to a single theme. Well, a theme other than "video games"

Maybe I left it too ambiguous. A better way to say it would be to say that you managed to save the one picture that best captured the atmosphere/essence/awesomeness of your game.

I'll make it easier by allowing it to be a sequel or even a re-imagining of an existing game.

Metalbourne on
    edited May 2010
    Yay I've got some early concepts going in my notepad and I think I've finished my logotype!
    odoodem.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    O, doode!™

is it a fraternity platformer?

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't have time to make anything new specifically for this challenge but I figured I'd post this thing I did a few years back as it fits quite nicely and might inspire someone to do something cooler:
    poster.jpg

I did this in college for a game design course. We had to present/pitch a game design idea/concept and had to design both a poster and the box cover for the game. My idea was to combine Tetris with Breakout and Space Invaders. You would start out playing Tetris, but sometimes you would get power ups which would literally rotate the playing field upside down, so that all the bricks which you had previously stacked on the bottom would end up in the top and then you would be given a paddle and a ball (or in the case of Space Invaders: a ship) to clear the blocks. This could be realized with a lot of different variations on the rules, like clear all blocks within a time limit for bonus points, or whatever. Illustrated above is the "eye"-level where the "baddies" are "eye-blocks", different levels would have different "enemies".

Sam :) on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    why is this not made yet?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Wimble, you're at least half right, it is a platformer. And your av cracks me up.

It is an awesome concept Sam, but it seems copywrite issues could be a problem. I'm sure if it was reworked enough, it could be feasible.

earthwormadam on
    edited May 2010
    That is really cool Sam! Gonna be hard to beat too.

Flay on
    edited May 2010
    Wimble, you're at least half right, it is a platformer. And your av cracks me up.

It is an awesome concept Sam, but it seems copywrite issues could be a problem. I'm sure if it was reworked enough, it could be feasible.

Yeah of course a commercial version of this would not explicitly use trademarks like "Tetris" "Breakout" or whatever, there are plenty of Tetris clones out there with slight variations on the theme so this would be no different from that.

• Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That looks like an ipad app.

Jake! on
    edited May 2010
    Oh man, I just had the best idea. I still don't think I'll be able to make an entry for it though (at least, not in time).

Flay on
    edited May 2010
    Jake! wrote: »
    That looks like an ipad app.

Yeah one way to realize the "flipping" aspect of the game could be by simply rotating the screen itself, wheter it is an iPad or iPhone, or some other tilt-sensing device.

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nibcrom_mickaruga.jpg

NibCrom on
  • ZEROIDZEROID Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    COOL the very first submission!!

I would like to participate but I don't know how to color things :/ I'll try but not sure if it will happen..

ZEROID on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can we put descriptions in there? Or should we limit it to just pictures.

Fugitive on
    edited May 2010
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Can we put descriptions in there? Or should we limit it to just pictures.

I know the "only one picture" thing really gets to people because you can't describe an entire video game with only one picture, but its okay, because that's not the point. Now, I can't vouch for what people are going to vote on, but if I were a video game guy and you came in with a single picture, that one picture had better be an interesting hook.

But otherwise, go ahead and describe the video game. Just remember that this isn't the writer's block.

Metalbourne on
    edited May 2010
    It would be interesting to hear more about your games. Just a short description.

m3nace on