As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lynch On!] Rifts!

Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of NothingJust a ShowRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Critical Failures
Hey all.

Not a regular poster here in Dice and Men, but I have a question, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

My buddies and I, back in the day when we were young, impressionable, and generally ignorant of quality gaming, played Rifts. A lot. But as we grew, and realized how horrible the system was, and what other games were out there to indulge in, we left Rifts behind and never looked back.

But now, my group is getting the hankering again. I have to agree with them, I dig the setting and overall feel of the Rifts universe. The problem is that the system is wholly unplayable, and I'm looking for help in solving that. I know there have to be some conversion rules floating around out there somewhere in the ether, either to bring Rifts-specific characters and elements into, say, GURPS or a newfangled d20 system... Anyone know where I could find something like that? I imagine there are many people like me, who like the setting but not the rules, and actually DID something about it.

Vargas Prime on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rifts is a blast as a setting and concept

the palladium system is garbage

i'd direct you to a good rules conversion but there are none

because kevin siembieda is a petty little king of a petty little hill and he will sue the bajeezus out of anyone who dares infringe on his intellectual property

as a recipient of one of his little legal threats i can tell you with some measure of personal certainty big kev takes this very seriously.

at one time, you weren't even allowed to talk about rifts at the wizard of the coast forums because kev threatened to go to town on WotC if people started posting d20 Rifts conversions on their boards

Pony on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I had actually heard a lot of that... But a few years have passed, so I thought maybe there'd be some cobbled-together rules making the rounds.

It still amazes me that he never revisited the rules for the game and tried to refine them, but I guess there's something to be said for having an ego massive enough to convince yourself you got it right the first time.

I read an article by him once (I can't remember where, but I'm sure someone here will know) where he claimed to "smoothly" run a group of some ridiculous size, like 100 people or more. I can't remember the exact number, but he was talking about how many people you "should" have in your roleplaying group, and he was claiming that he felt perfectly comfortable GMing parties of 30-40 people, and had on occasion GMed for groups of over 100 people. I may be messing up the numbers, but I remember it being absurd, especially considering the system itself.

Anyway, if anyone knows/has anything that might be of relevance to my problem, feel free to PM me. I'm not holding out hope, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

At any rate, we can use this thread to talk about the merits/flaws of the Rifts universe and system...

So, how 'bout that MDC, huh? Crazy.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the biggest problem with rifts is it has a million ideas and does none of them well

skill resolution, attack, defense, magic, damage, and character advancement use mechanics that have nothing to do with each other.

it's because kevin designed his system largely as a reaction to being rejected to TSR

so it's like seeing a game made of nothing but house rules the GM thought were neat ideas at the time

and then they become how the game works

Pony on
  • Options
    DataranDataran Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well as a Rifter who regularly plays the game every week I can say that the base system does indeed have its problems; however, thanks to our intrepid players and current GM we managed to come up with a house ruled system where things make sense: if a bit complicated.

I'll ask him if he's ok with me pm'ing you the rules. They save alot of time with combat and add alot of realism to the game.

Dataran on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That'd be great.

It's been years since we played Palladium, and over the time that we did play it, we had a lot of tweaks and fixes that we played with as well, but we've all since forgotten most of them.

One of my biggest qualms about playing Rifts again is the leveling system. Character progression feels so slow and glacial compared to other games. You're not waiting for "Level X" so you can finally get "Ability Y", you're just mildly looking forward to gaining an extra d6 on the ability you've had since level 1.

Vargas Prime on