As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]abeetus

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    The way battle.net friend works for the account is by using the email addy.

So if a person only knows your character name, they can only friend that character.

If they know your account name, they can friend your account.

Are you sure it works that way, or has this even be confirmed yet? It would make more sense that a request would be send to a char / Avatar (SC2) / and then the person has to accept that. Involving real Acc Data (and the email adress is one) would provide more ground for acc scam, or provide social enginnering / stalking hooks. "Be real live buddy with person XY to win free mount." "My GF hates me and now she stalks me when I am playing Diablo 3, SC2, WoW." "My friend sold his Acc but now the new "owner" knows my RL name and email."

That's exactly how they word it.
    -Players will have to confirm that they are friends in order for a Real ID to be added. Once Real ID friends, players can communicate cross-game, cross-faction and cross-realm.

So, somebody punches in your battle net ID, and then presumable you get a notice that XXXX@email.com wants to be buddies.

And if you're worried about spam...
    -A new Pending tab has been added where players can accept or decline a Real ID friend request, or select the Report Spam or Block Communications buttons.

So you can just decline or block any unknown people. I highly doubt the possibility for mega spam exists, because people would have to create whole paying accounts to do that. Gold spammers stick to free accounts, which will almost certainly not be allowed, and... well anybody who would pay for separate subscriptions to spam you with invites would be one hell of a special goose.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So you can just decline or block any unknown people. I highly doubt the possibility for mega spam exists, because people would have to create whole paying accounts to do that. Gold spammers stick to free accounts, which will almost certainly not be allowed, and... well anybody who would pay for separate subscriptions to spam you with invites would be one hell of a special goose.

Well I could imagine someone abusing the system who already has access to a lot of "compromised" accounts and which got phished with fake sites, or keyloggers etc. ( + he has access to the other person's data - although I don't know how much data is displayed in the real live buddy list)

I personally would design this system this way:

You create a battle.net acc. You add fullprice game. You create a avatar (SCII Multiplayer Personality, Diablo Character, WoW Toon) and select it to represent "you". Then you send someone an invite. If he accepts you are represented with this char and can chat cross-game / realm etc. If he is a silly goose you can remove him from your buddy list and this would also cut the established link -> you will be removed from his FL too.

No real live data, no email-adress, no personal info involved. To know, who is who you can add a note to your Avatar or to the entry in your Battle.net friend's list.

Edit: Ah, sorry - I didn't notice that there is another friend's system, sans personal data.

Dratatoo on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only design flaw in the system is having your WoW login, your bnet ID and your email adress being the same.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really don't want to have to give out my email address just to have friends on a game. Seriously? Why does it have to be email address?

Samphis on
  • UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Samphis wrote: »
    I really don't want to have to give out my email address just to have friends on a game. Seriously? Why does it have to be email address?

Guess you shouldn't have chosen something so embarrassing 2hot4caulk42@gmail.com.
    :winky:

Unsalted on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Unsalted wrote: »

Guess you shouldn't have chosen something so embarrassing 2hot4caulk42@gmail.com.
    :winky:

The funny thing I cannot even tell people what my email for battle.net is because I have no idea how to say it. I can spell it.

Brainleech on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My id is myrealname@gmail.com, so I really wouldn't want to give it to people that I don't know well.

jackal on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    My id is myrealname@gmail.com, so I really wouldn't want to give it to people that I don't know well.

I dont get the using real names in email that are not your work e-mail thing. I always use a noms de guerre for my personal email. I am not trying to be hater. Just one of those things, ya know?

Mutilate on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to be the same, until I got tired of multiple emails and I use my name@gmail for everything now =\

I might hafta make something new, like markenbattlenet@gmail.com just for this stuff.

tehmarken on
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, even if your email address wasn't your real name, your real name (listed in your Battle.net account) will still be shown after you accept the friend invitation.

I don't appreciate this particular system either. Seems like there should've been something in-between single-character friending and "hey here's my login info" friending.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Then don't. They're not removing the regular friend system already in play. This is primarily for real friends who want to socialize through different games. Which in that case, you already know then, and they probably already have your email address to begin with.

I mean, I guess you could swap email addresses with that random tank you played with if you want so he can see when you're playing Starcraft. But that seems kind of silly to me.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »

I dont get the using real names in email that are not your work e-mail thing. I always use a noms de guerre for my personal email. I am not trying to be hater. Just one of those things, ya know?

It's the email that I use to communicate with friends and family members and put on resumes. When I gave it to blizzard I didn't realize it would become my login id, and I didn't realize my login id would become my real id.

jackal on
    edited May 2010

It's the email that I use to communicate with friends and family members and put on resumes. When I gave it to blizzard I didn't realize it would become my login id, and I didn't realize my login id would become my real id.

No one did. Like I said, I am not saying it's terribad to use your real name on your e-mail. It's just something I would not ever do.

Mutilate on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "3.4? Lets work on [Chat]aclysm instead"

Wassermelone on
    edited May 2010
    Truth be told, it would be kind of a slap in the face to add another full pogression dungeon at this point. I mean this is the Wrath of the LICH KING. It's probably not the best idea to throw a new dungeon with better loot and a bigger baddie. Unless of course it ties into the Cataclysm. Then it's ok. You know what, forget I even said any of this.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    Truth be told, it would be kind of a slap in the face to add another full pogression dungeon at this point. I mean this is the Wrath of the LICH KING. It's probably not the best idea to throw a new dungeon with better loot and a bigger baddie. Unless of course it ties into the Cataclysm. Then it's ok. You know what, forget I even said any of this.

I realize this - that was tongue firmly planted in cheek :P

Wassermelone on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

This.

I guess it's time to create a new alias and change my battlenet info soon. there is a few people I wouldn't mind having as gaming friends, but I'm still not comfortable with them having my main key email address.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Playing my Priest and taking him through Borean again, I'd like to complain about something that bothered me the very first time I leveled through Wrath and continues to bother me.

Hemet Nesignwary and DEHTA.

This whole thing is just ridiculous. In Borean, you work with DEHTA to kill Hemet's cronies (who in turn try to kill you). But then, when you get to Sholazar all this is suddenly forgotten and then you start doing some chores for Hemet.

Fucking bullshit. His henchmen were trying to kill me in Borean and I'm just supposed to forget about that and do his bidding now? What the fuck is up with that?

Also, maybe I just imagined it but I seem to recall that some pre-Wrath hype involved about how you would be able to choose your sides in this conflict and whatnot. Not so much, no.

I hope in Cata they let you kill him.

Strongly agree with all of the above. I loved the DEHTA quests, particularly in BC, Hemet's insane taskings to depopulate the entire fucking natural world actually crossed some sort of psychological threshold for me where, even though I am fully aware this is merely a video game, I became disgusted and morally indignant.

So imagine how pleased I was to play through a quest line where the rabid huntards are portrayed exactly how I see them; crazy murderous bastards. And I get to keeel them. A lot of them. Good stuff. Oh, and meeting the oldest mammoth and then become neutral with al the previously hostile Borean mammoths. That was fucking awesome.

Anyway, then you get to Scholazar and it's like "Oh hey, I really need someone to kill like, 30 tigers and shit, just cuz, you know. THEY'RE THERE."

Regina Fong on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This may have been mentioned in previous pages, but does anyone know if the Ruby Sanctum will have a rep component? Please please please say it won't... I really don't want to raid anymore between now and Cata, and the only thing that would bring me back is a raid rep... >.<

Spacemilk on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't see how they could, unless it would give Wymrest Rep. There's like no trash and three bosses.

Samphis on
    edited May 2010
    Oh, and if having to give out my login name is a requirement for having bnet friends, that ensures I will have none. They must be crazy. I made up an entirely separate gmail account just for battlenet, because I knew how loopy it was to have your email address be your login. And now they want me to share it with everyone.

Is anyone else clawing the screen in frustration every time they see a message from Bliz talking about how they take account security seriously?

Clearly, they fucking do not.

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2010
    Am I really the only one that is happy about this?

I play with about 10+ really good friends, 90% of which I have met in real life. It seems like this is what its for.

Theres still the regular character based friends component, which will work for everyone else.

Wassermelone on
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm pretty stoked, I know most of my friends account names, mostly because they have used my computer to play. We don't share accounts, but we do do know the emails that we use to login with. It will be nice to see when they are on alts, or when SC2 comes out and they are addicted again I'll be able to flip them shit.

RedDawn on
    edited May 2010
    Their intentions are good but the excecution seems a little sloppy. Your e-mail/bnet logon is 50% of your account log-on information. (or 33.33333333333% I guess if you have an authenticator.) The potential for bad is right there, written all over the wall.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    Their intentions are good but the excecution seems a little sloppy. Your e-mail/bnet logon is 50% of your account log-on information. (or 33.33333333333% I guess if you have an authenticator.) The potential for bad is right there, written all over the wall.

Exactly. I like the idea of easier communication with friends in game, but not at the expense of my account security.

For those who feel this is not a security concerns, I agree with you. As a matter of fact, I think we should swap copies of house and car keys just for safety, also, you should email me your bank account number so I can remind you of it just in case you forget.

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2010
    Your not supposed to give this information out to just anybody. I don't know you form Adam, so I wouldn't give you my car keys. One of my friends of multiple years? Sure thing here they are have fun.

RedDawn on
    edited May 2010
    Plus, I used my general e-mail for my Bnet info. While it does not have my real name in it I really don't want that e-mail to get moved up on the hacker priority list. WoW accounts are pratically their own currency at this point. In conclusion, Blizzard please do something else besides the Bnet login. Give us back handles or something.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    RedDawn wrote: »
    Your not supposed to give this information out to just anybody. I don't know you form Adam, so I wouldn't give you my car keys. One of my friends of multiple years? Sure thing here they are have fun.

Haha I saw your post and I was thinking "how do you know me?!"
    My name is Adam. Shhhh don't tell the internets.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    You aren't supposed to give your login name to anyone. Feel free to review the computer policy at any workplace. They're all the same.

Only Blizard, in it's indescribably shoddy lack of wisdom, would think this is a good system, particularly when it would be effortless for them to create a third field; your public user handle, and link it transparently with your bnet account.

There is no reason for them not to do this. No reason and no excuse. Stop trying to make excuses for their lazyness. Just stop.

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2010
    This whole thing won't work out too well if they don't allow you to set individual characters as private. I don't know what my friends sell on the AH, and I don't want to know nor do I want them to know what I sell. Not to mention nosey ass guild leaders that will demand to be set as a real id friend (although I would tell them to shove it).

jackal on
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    You aren't supposed to give your login name to anyone. Feel free to review the computer policy at any workplace. They're all the same.

Only Blizard, in it's indescribably shoddy lack of wisdom, would think this is a good system, particularly when it would be effortless for them to create a third field; your public user handle, and link it transparently with your bnet account.

There is no reason for them not to do this. No reason and no excuse. Stop trying to make excuses for their lazyness. Just stop.

You seem to be taking this whole thing very personally. If you don't want to use the system then don't. Others don't feel the same way as you do about their security.

RedDawn on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't see how they could, unless it would give Wymrest Rep. There's like no trash and three bosses.
    Ahhh ok, so it's like Sarth then? Good, whew. The LAST thing I need is to raid simply to fill up a little green bar. -_- Addictions are baaaad things, particularly when you pick something like rep to work at.

Spacemilk on
    edited May 2010

You seem to be taking this whole thing very personally. If you don't want to use the system then don't. Others don't feel the same way as you do about their security.

I think you are confused. It's possible to really dislike the implementation of a system, and be thoroughly disgusted by a major software companies gradeschool approach to security, without "taking it personally".

It's not personal, it's professional. And Blizard is making extremely poor security decisions which affect it's customers. Everything from non case sensitive passwords to email addresses as user names, to now, finally, this.

The response "if u dnt lik it dnt play" is lame and weak.

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2010
    It's not weak, let your money speak. That's how this works, if you don't like their practices, then don't give them your business.

RedDawn on
    edited May 2010
    If you don't think you can trust someone with your email address, don't give it to them.

Wassermelone on
    edited May 2010
    It's like going to a restaurant where they give uneaten chips from one table to another. The fact that you don't have to eat the chips doesn't make up for the fact that it is unprofessional and disgusting.

jackal on
    edited May 2010
    It's not weak, let your money speak. That's how this works, if you don't like their practices, then don't give them your business.

I think there are intermediate steps between mere acceptance of this and account cancellation. You are presenting me with a false dilemma.

-edit- for clarification, the false dilemma is both lame and weak. The concept of a consumer boycott or "shopping with your dollars" is not. But to suggest that a complaining customers only recourse is to stuff it and take their business elsewhere? Yeah that's wrong, also lame and weak etc.

Regina Fong on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wouldn't it be great if battle.net generated an account # for you to give out? Then instead of giving out your email all you have to do is give out your battle.net ID #.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited May 2010
    If you don't think you can trust someone with your email address, don't give it to them.

Isn't that one of the goals of this whole thing? Help you make new friends and contacts. The solution should not be to put the player in a position to second guess wether or not they can trust someone enough to be friends with them. A simple change away from using your Bnet login makes this whole conversation go away.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010

I think there are intermediate steps between mere acceptance of this and account cancellation. You are presenting me with a false dilemma.

-edit- for clarification, the false dilemma is both lame and weak. The concept of a consumer boycott or "shopping with your dollars" is not. But to suggest that a complaining customers only recourse is to stuff it and take their business elsewhere? Yeah that's wrong, also lame and weak etc.

You have said your piece I understand where you are coming from, however blizzard hasn't changed their stance. The only other recourse you are left with is to either not use the new system, or keep hoping and asking for change.

RedDawn on
This discussion has been closed.