As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]abeetus

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy was just saying it is horrible, which it is. It is amateur hour bullshit.

jackal on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    RedDawn wrote: »
    It's not weak, let your money speak. That's how this works, if you don't like their practices, then don't give them your business.

I think there are intermediate steps between mere acceptance of this and account cancellation. You are presenting me with a false dilemma.

-edit- for clarification, the false dilemma is both lame and weak. The concept of a consumer boycott or "shopping with your dollars" is not. But to suggest that a complaining customers only recourse is to stuff it and take their business elsewhere? Yeah that's wrong, also lame and weak etc.

Yes it's a false dilemna/ yes it is silly to give your email address and login name to strangers/ no you don't have to.

That said, and as has been previously hashed out, an account with an authenticator key will have >>95% of it's security made up by the authenticator. No we don't need to spend another 5 pages on the math behind this-- It Just Works.

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    It's not weak, let your money speak. That's how this works, if you don't like their practices, then don't give them your business.

I think there are intermediate steps between mere acceptance of this and account cancellation. You are presenting me with a false dilemma.

-edit- for clarification, the false dilemma is both lame and weak. The concept of a consumer boycott or "shopping with your dollars" is not. But to suggest that a complaining customers only recourse is to stuff it and take their business elsewhere? Yeah that's wrong, also lame and weak etc.

Yes it's a false dilemna/ yes it is silly to give your email address and login name to strangers/ no you don't have to.

That said, and as has been previously hashed out, an account with an authenticator key will have >>95% of it's security made up by the authenticator. No we don't need to spend another 5 pages on the math behind this-- It Just Works.

You know 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot. No need to spend any time on the math behind that. It just works. :P

Mutilate on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    jeepguy was just saying it is horrible, which it is. It is amateur hour bullshit.

Yeah that's the problem. They are deliberately going well below the default baseline for account security used in their entire industry.

If a car company was known to set a deliberately lower standard for seat belt, air bag, and brake function from it's every competitor and the industry standard, you would hardly be surprised when people started mocking them, and eventually simply attacking them.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah that's the problem. They are deliberately going well below the default baseline for account security used in their entire industry.

If a car company was known to set a deliberately lower standard for seat belt, air bag, and brake function from it's every competitor and the industry standard, you would hardly be surprised when people started mocking them, and eventually simply attacking them.

Yeah that is a reasonable comparison. Something that could kill you, or loosing characters in a video game.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I heartily endorse [Chat]aclysm.

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah that is a reasonable comparison. Something that could kill you, or loosing characters in a video game.

ABS is probably a good comparison. Whenever I see a car without ABS I'm like o_O, but many people drove for decades without ABS and lived to tell the tale. The magnitude is clearly different, but it is about what we have come to expect from companies that we get goods and services from.

jackal on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's also the possibility that authenticators might get boxed with cataclysm (I certainly hope so, not paying $30 for one of those things) in which case it's nearly pointless to argue about.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How is an authenticator $30? Aren't they like 7 bucks online?

RedDawn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Not everyone lives in America.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The "official" Blizzard one is $49.99 http://tinyurl.com/25y2v7x

I am sure there are much much cheaper ones out there. That is the first thing that pops when I google Authenticator though.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »

I am sure there are much much cheaper ones out there. That is the first thing that pops when I google Authenticator though.

And the official one on the Blizzard website is $6.50
    http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000822

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

That's not being sold by Blizzard. That's a reseller.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Caedere wrote: »

That's not being sold by Blizzard. That's a reseller.

hence the quotes around "official".

Mutilate on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Well, I think I'm now a source for Cataclysm info. A little birdy has given me the following information and I'm sharing the fuck out of it. The following is spoilers in regard to Graymane and Gilneas.

There's your warning shot, so here it goes:
    The conclusion of the Worgen starting area (Gilneas) involves a fight much like the retaking of the Undercity. You rally with Graymane's troops, fire catapults, all sorts of shit. Sylvanas and Graymane have a standoff, and she takes a shot at him - she ends up hitting his son instead (I don't know if it's a miss or on purpose) and takes off. While the king mourns, you give chase.

You catch her talking to Garrosh, who forbids her from using the plague. The moment he leaves, she give the order for it anyway.
    I got cock-blocked on hearing more.
    You'd think Garrosh would want her to use the plague.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, I think I'm now a source for Cataclysm info. A little birdy has given me the following information and I'm sharing the fuck out of it. The following is spoilers in regard to Graymane and Gilneas.

The conclusion of the Worgen starting area (Gilneas) involves a fight much like the retaking of the Undercity. You rally with Graymane's troops, fire catapults, all sorts of shit. Sylvanas and Graymane have a standoff, and she takes a shot at him - she ends up hitting his son instead (I don't know if it's a miss or on purpose) and takes off. While the king mourns, you give chase.

You catch her talking to Garrosh, who forbids her from using the plague. The moment he leaves, she give the order for it anyway.
    He probably considers it a cowardly way of fighting.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

On my own note, if you are worried about account security, 6.50 is entirely worth the price for peace o' mind.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

On my own note, if you are worried about account security, 6.50 is entirely worth the price for peace o' mind.

Except the international shipping is up around $22.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The one on mah phone works great. Im never without mah phone anyways.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. I can't wait for account to get stolen. Then I can be free of this!

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lorahalo wrote: »

He probably considers it a cowardly way of fighting.
    Yes the Wargen starting area is so much better than the Gobbie starting area. The Gobbie area has its momments but in terms of what Cataclysm is supposed to be the Gobbie area just seems off-topic.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was just looking forward to a way to hopefully be able to /friend and maybe, possibly, some day, be able to talk to and group with some of the people I meet on other servers in the Dungeon Finder.

Guess I'll keep on looking.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Deliberately how? Where do you work that you cant figure out the user ids of every employee in the company. Is it a randomly generated i smash keyboard here is your user id kind of deal? How do they create email addresses at this place? I work at a place where there are 25k+ employees. Ive worked for some huge law firms as well. They all use the same format for creating user ids as well as those same ids are tied to their email addresses. These companies play with millions and billions of dollars. And they follow the same idea in regards to uid's.
    And you're worried about your info in a blizzard game, where its your choice to give out that info? Get an authenticator which is free or you can pay for it, which will give you even more security than most workplaces out there that dont even have that choice, unless you need a secure connection.
    Just be smart about the crap you do. Just like everything else. You have a choice to use it or not.

Sammich on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Getting an account name is the trivial part anyways. I'd imagine most of them embed some sort of HTML into their emails that identifies proper email addresses once opened. Then they can start the brute force.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yet another Ulduar weekly for Kargath, for the squillionth week. Good fucking lord am I sick of that place.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Yet another Ulduar weekly for Kargath, for the squillionth week. Good fucking lord am I sick of that place.

You shut your mouth. :P I love Ulduar.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I love Ulduar.

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Malygos. Great. Headaches inc.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »

You shut your mouth. :P I love Ulduar.
    It's not really all of Ulduar I hate, I am just so very tired of doing the FL trash every goddamned week on mulitple characters. We've had Marrowgar as a weekly once, I think, since weeklies were first introduced. Malygos three or four times, ditto OS, and the various Naxx bosses a handful, but each one of those are preferable because the trash (what little there is depending on the encounter) doesn't suck so very, very badly. So boring. And every week I pray for a reprieve from the drudgery, but nope, "it's XT/Razorscale/Ignis yet again, whee!"

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I did Malygos on my DK once, a looong time ago and I remember it being pretty cool. I would not remember what to do on the flying part though.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love Malygos, there are so many people who think they know that fight but they don't.

Yes, you can just /follow one guy and then just go to town on whatever. Switching targets doesn't drop /follow, and you can cast all the abilities without facing your target. It's fine.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Maybe I will see if I can pug a Maly. I need to run that and Naxx anyway for the Champion of the Frozen Waste title.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's really not hard. I've love to see how far down some extremely over-geared ranged-DPS heavy group could get him as he's lifting off.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What do you guys do to farm money? I recently started playing again, this weekend. Had to make a new account because It seems I either sold or gave mine away years ago and don't feel like getting the account back. My priest is 56 right now, and will be nearing 70 this weekend(if not higher).

I have tailoring and Mining as professions right now. After hitting 80 and getting geared i Plan to switch mining to engineering.

Buddies on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dalies

captaink on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mining as a profession is always worth money, especially when you aren't using it to level a crafting profession. At your level you are probably around Mithril/Thorium, and Thorium is usually inflated since all 3 of the craft professions that feed from mining use a ton of it.

Nobody on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As long as you don't spend gold frivolously, it's impossible to not make gold now. You can do dailies, but if that's not your thing, just doing random heroics should net you about 150 to 200g per hour just from the reward gold, and vendoring the drops.

I find if you find dailies you like for some reason(doing Argent Tournament to get mounts/exalted with home factions) it adds up much faster since you're not really doing it for the gold anyway.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Auction House.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I run LFD ad ad nauseum. It's good money assuming you don't constantly have terribad groups. Between the money picked up, the money earned for completing the dungeon, the money from drops, and the money saved on enchanting mats, it's pretty good.

edit: beat'd

Mutilate on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Buddies wrote: »
    What do you guys do to farm money? I recently started playing again, this weekend. Had to make a new account because It seems I either sold or gave mine away years ago and don't feel like getting the account back. My priest is 56 right now, and will be nearing 70 this weekend(if not higher).

I have tailoring and Mining as professions right now. After hitting 80 and getting geared i Plan to switch mining to engineering.

Two gathering professions.
    Don't buy anything from the auction house.
    Sell everything you find on the auction house.

Run dungeons. Do quests. Do dailies. When you're high enough you can add soloing lower level dungeons for funsies. Quests at the level cap can make you a ton of gold. Likewise, knocking out 25 dailies every day adds up quick as does selling off the stuff you accumulate while playing(trash drops, auctionable items, resources, etc).

Enchanting is a pain to level up but once you do it becomes another gathering profession. Requires an initial investment unlike skinning, herbing, mining.

Poketpixie on
This discussion has been closed.