As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Humble Indie Bundle

• risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I went in on it earlier today for $15, because I already gave world of Goo guy some money through steam. I think the timer was at 6 hours or so.

Just checked, there is a little over 4 hours left.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been playing Aquaria and so far I've killed four ancient gods and several other monstrosities of various sizes and dispositions (including a one Octopus Prime) and so far I can change into:
    1) A being of pure energy that can set the water on fire
    2) A fucking shark monster that can eat enemies alive
    3) A nature goddess that can commune with plant life and drop seeds that cause twelve foot thorns to shoot out of the ground
    4) An incorporeal spirit that can pass through certain obstacles and, last but not least:
    5) A cute little fishy

MrMonroe on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I played Aquaria for about 40 minutes last night and didn't get too far. I only learned the second song, but I've had fun just singing random crap. But now that I can move rocks I think the game is gonna move forward.

One question, In my Home, there's a room with a blue spikey ball in it that when I swam to it I got a little green barbell looking thing that went to my minimap, and now my that room is marked with that icon on my map.

But I have no idea what the fuck it does.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    It's a transporter of sorts and you'll be able to open them once you've finished the Kelp Forest

there's nothing of interest behind that one, though

not yet

MrMonroe on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I've been playing Aquaria and so far I've killed four ancient gods and several other monstrosities of various sizes and dispositions (including a one Octopus Prime) and so far I can change into:
    1) A being of pure energy that can set the water on fire
    2) A fucking shark monster that can eat enemies alive
    3) A nature goddess that can commune with plant life and drop seeds that cause twelve foot thorns to shoot out of the ground
    4) An incorporeal spirit that can pass through certain obstacles and, last but not least:
    5) A cute little fishy

Number 5 just sold me the bundle.

see317 on
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought I'd already linked this here, but I guess not. The creator of Lugaru (and the guy who's hosting the website) wrote an article about people pirating the bundle. I thought it was a pretty good read.
    http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Saving-a-penny----pirating-the-Humble-Indie-Bundle

Also, there's about 3 hours left. If they hit $1 000 000 by the time it ends, Lugaru, Gish and Penumbra will release their source code.
    EDIT: Doesn't say anything on the site about it, but this guy who seems to be associated with the project says so.

Klorgnum on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah i just bought the bundle for aquaria

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • ShakesbeardShakesbeard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nice! they just passed a million.

i hope we see more independent developers trying out more varied methods of distribution like this

Shakesbeard on
  • ZourtackZourtack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They hit a million because some dude just donated $3,333.33!!!

Zourtack on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    whoa, one million? that's some good moneys.

Food on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Feel good thread of the summer right here.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I caved and bought it for $20 . Did 50/50 Split for Devs and Child's Play.

captaink on
    edited May 2010
    I went and bought another for my friend from highschool, since his b-day was a few days ago and he wouldn't be able to get it himself before it ended.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zourtack wrote: »
    They hit a million because some dude just donated $3,333.33!!!

From the donation page...
    Humble update: open source extension (5/11/10)

The Humble Indie Bundle experiment has been a massive success beyond our craziest expectations. So far, in just over 6 days, 113,231 generous contributors have put down an incredible $1,024,817. Of this, contributors chose to allocate 31.04% to charity: $318,061 for the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Child's Play Charity. I have made a page for the full breakdown including credit card fees in a JSON format here (json).

Now it's our turn to give back. As of 5/11/10, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru HD, and Penumbra Overture pledge to go open source. We are preparing the sources right now and will be releasing them ASAP. We spent last night preparing Lugaru and it is almost available now. The code is still a little rough (no Visual Studio project yet, for instance) but hopefully with the help of the community we can rapidly make it more accessible to everyone.

Note, the games will be "free as in 'free speech', not as in 'free beer'": see each license for the full, finalized details as they come out very hopefully this week -- stay tuned. It is the underlying code that will be made available to everyone.

Feel free to continue donating to charity, to the developers, or any combination thereof below. We will still be distributing humble bundles to anyone who contributes.

see317 on
  • LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    So the people who bought this bundle could have just waited until this deal was over and got the games for free? What a kick in the teeth to paying customers like me. The dude who paid over $3000 for the bundle must really be pissed off about now. I assume that guy doesn't have a clue what the going rate for video games is.

LearnedHand on
    edited May 2010

No you dumb goose, he's a guy with tons of money who was enthusiastic about the project and wanted to see it break 1mil.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Troll somewhere else, please.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some stuff.

So you just stopped trying now, huh?

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Trolls gain power from every reading of their spew, for godsakes don't quote them

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyway, one million is god damn incredible! I honestly didn't expect this to come even close to that.

Plus, I've got so many games to play now. Life is good.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited May 2010
    Sorry hob, I made it better.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aquaria is awesome! And the music is so pretty

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited May 2010
    So the people who bought this bundle could have just waited until this deal was over and got the games for free? What a kick in the teeth to paying customers like me. The dude who paid over $3000 for the bundle must really be pissed off about now. I assume that guy doesn't have a clue what the going rate for video games is.

i just want to point out that in addition to being a silly goose, this guy is also wrong. they're releasing the source code, not the games themselves. remember how you still have to pay for doom and quake?

Food on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    seriously

also it flows really well when you get into the rhythm

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited May 2010
    Urrrgh, I'm on the first real boss of Aquaria (singing boss doesn't count) and I can't figure out how to beat him.
    spoiler'd for those who haven't played yet
    I can kite him towards the energy barrier and use it on him twice, but after that he refuses to get all the way into again. Shooting him repeatedly doesn't seem to do anything either.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Urrrgh, I'm on the first real boss of Aquaria (singing boss doesn't count) and I can't figure out how to beat him.
    spoiler'd for those who haven't played yet
    I can kite him towards the energy barrier and use it on him twice, but after that he refuses to get all the way into again. Shooting him repeatedly doesn't seem to do anything either.
    Get him all the way up to the edge, charge up a shot, get him to make a lunge for you again, and try to time it so you charge the ball right as he leans forward into the beam's path. And don't shoot him, for god's sake, that's how you get him to move back

it's a tricky timing, but you're on exactly the right track

MrMonroe on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Food wrote: »

i just want to point out that in addition to being a silly goose, this guy is also wrong. they're releasing the source code, not the games themselves. remember how you still have to pay for doom and quake?

being wrong and a goose is kind of Learned Hand's deal

#pipe on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So yeah for the people asking shoe to clarify his statements earlier. He was saying he wasn't going to be dumb and pay one cent because that actually costs the developers money and whatnot.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah I was kind of a douche and like "well don't tell me I can pay whatever I want and then glower at me for paying a penny"

but yeah it's a dick move to cost them money

especially when a charity is involved

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    now that I look back I guess my comment made it look like I didn't like those games so I wouldn't buy them

that's not true!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    no I think you had it right the first time, shoe

you hate video games and everyone who is involved with them

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited May 2010
    and sick childeren. don't forget them

Food on
    edited May 2010
    Dangit. I bought this bundle yesterday but my connection was messing up so I never got penumbra. Download kept stopping halfway through when my network went down. The links are down now. Oh well

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited May 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    Dangit. I bought this bundle yesterday but my connection was messing up so I never got penumbra. Download kept stopping halfway through when my network went down. The links are down now. Oh well
    no they're not

use the link you got in the confirmation email

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited May 2010
    I uh... I didn't scroll down far enough.

I'm an idiot.

Thank you

Artreus on
    edited May 2010
    well I really enjoyed Aquaria

too bad my desktop bricked itself and now I can't play it anymore :cry:

MrMonroe on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aquaria is pretty great, I wish there were some sort of checkpoint system or something rather than the save crystals though because I find if I die I can never be bothered playing back to where I was.

I'm looking forward to digging in to the source code once they release it though! I'm not a big C++ programmer but just seeing how they structure the game will be quite interesting.

Ten on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, there's a couple little interface changes that would be nice to make.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am stuck hard on the World of Goo tower of Goo level. It is very aggravating.

captaink on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just build like the world's going to end, build fast and smart!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470