As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PHALLA] Avatar: The Last Phallbender - Mafia Victory

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    I swear people, if we don't get enough players to have a fully-fledged Avatar Phalla, I will hurt you all!

Hey, don't hurt me! It's not my fault that everyone not in this Phalla fails at life!
    I actually know someone who once said, in response to a similar phrase, "You fail at being queer!"

I kid you not.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I swear people, if we don't get enough players to have a fully-fledged Avatar Phalla, I will hurt you all!

Hey, don't hurt me! It's not my fault that everyone not in this Phalla fails at life!
    I actually know someone who once said, in response to a similar phrase, "You fail at being queer!"

I kid you not.

...What? o_O

So, if I fail at... then... I'm... not gay?

Or am I gay, but can't get any. Thus, making me a failure at being gay?

Wow. My mind. It has been blown.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    See now, I had a humorous zing to go with that, but Imma be good.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Wha... OOOHHHH!

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Capfalcon is currently winning the award for best Avatar-Title Combo. He could use a location, though.

Delmain on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Wha... OOOHHHH!

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Hah, I haven't seen that one in a while. Ah, good mem'reys...

As an aside, you're my new favorite person for the rest of the day.:lol:

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Delmain wrote: »
    Capfalcon is currently winning the award for best Avatar-Title Combo. He could use a location, though.
    Is there a prize for this?

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Is there a prize for this?

Clarification Denied.

Delmain on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Because Delmain begged so nicely.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So, since this is my first Phalla, how many people are we shooting for, oh host? Just 45+?

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to celebrate the end of my school semester by Phallaing!!!

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !Sign up

What is Avatar?
    Planet of blue catpeople?
    No, funny cartoon.

Sepah on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, since this is my first Phalla, how many people are we shooting for, oh host? Just 45+?

typically between 50-60. 45 is probably just the lowest he could go without it horribly unbalancing.

Some main games get larger (see suikoden, fire emblem, persona), some are smaller.

It all depends on balance. I'd say he's hoping for around 50.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

typically between 50-60. 45 is probably just the lowest he could go without it horribly unbalancing.

Some main games get larger (see suikoden, fire emblem, persona), some are smaller.

50 was my short end. I'd've had to actually do work if I didn't get 50. On that note, signups are at 49. Role PMs will very likely go out tomorrow some time.

Delmain on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !My name's Avatar and I'm reserving to be an Anime~

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    KeikaKeika Delectable tea, or deadly poison? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

50 was my short end. I'd've had to actually do work if I didn't get 50. On that note, signups are at 49. Role PMs will very likely go out tomorrow some time.

And I was all looking forward to waking up to my role PM. Silly people for not signing up faster.

Oh well. I'm making tea while we wait. Who wants some?

Keika on
    "My fancies are fireflies / Specks of living light / twinkling in the dark." ~Rabindranath Tagore
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Keika wrote: »
    And I was all looking forward to waking up to my role PM. Silly people for not signing up faster.

Mild Season 3 spoiler
    A__zuko_makes_tea_by_hot_choc.jpg

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ooh ooh ooh me me me sign me up!

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hooray!

50 [strike]victims[/strike] players

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Signing up for umm....!Reserve!

Neurotika on
  • Options
    KeikaKeika Delectable tea, or deadly poison? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Keika wrote: »

Mild Season 3 spoiler
    A__zuko_makes_tea_by_hot_choc.jpg
    Iroh_x_Tea_by_ykansaki.png
    Mmmmmmm

Keika on
    "My fancies are fireflies / Specks of living light / twinkling in the dark." ~Rabindranath Tagore
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !Reserve

jackisreal on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    reserve on

HEY, that's not fuscia...

Is it?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh good, looks like you got enough signups. I'm not a phalla fan, but I'd hate to see an Avatar phalla fail to meet expectations.
    I feel as though I'll be extremely alienated in this, as it is my first phalla ever and I don't know anything about Avatar anyway, but er...
    This needs to be remedied. ASAP
    Sir Fabulous, there's an easy fix for this. It's called Netflix.
    If you have a subscription with Watch Instantly (are there any that don't anymore?) I think the first season is still up on there. For a while you used to also be able to watch almost every episode on the Nickelodeon site as well, though the quality wasn't as good and their player is really, really shitty.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ronrab wrote: »
    Toph vs. Toph, because Toph was so awesome she was forced to fission to hold all the awesome.

There can be only one!

simulacrum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hey,
    Malkor, Jack, and Forceperson.

You can probably still sign up.

I don't think he's closed them yet, so there's not need to reserve unless you have to.

just saying...

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Then Sign me up Scotty!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey,
    Malkor, Jack, and Forceperson.

You can probably still sign up.

I don't think he's closed them yet, so there's not need to reserve unless you have to.

just saying...

Oh, thanks-- I just saw some reserves in the OP so I figured I'd missed my chance.

!Sign up if I can

jackisreal on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    target is 60, so more people sign up pronto

your ego commands it

Egos on
  • Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damnit Phalla, every time I think I'm out, you pull me back in!

Also, damn kime for arousing my curiosity with his shiny new Toph avatar in the SC2 thread!

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    !signup

Neurotika on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damnit Phalla, every time I think I'm out, you pull me back in!

Also, damn kime for arousing my curiosity with his shiny new Toph avatar in the SC2 thread!
    Muahahahaha!

Just part of the plan to promote Avatar :P.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh good, looks like you got enough signups. I'm not a phalla fan, but I'd hate to see an Avatar phalla fail to meet expectations.
    I feel as though I'll be extremely alienated in this, as it is my first phalla ever and I don't know anything about Avatar anyway, but er...
    This needs to be remedied. ASAP
    Sir Fabulous, there's an easy fix for this. It's called Netflix.
    If you have a subscription with Watch Instantly (are there any that don't anymore?) I think the first season is still up on there. For a while you used to also be able to watch almost every episode on the Nickelodeon site as well, though the quality wasn't as good and their player is really, really shitty.

All right, I should probably watch this and get at least some backstory before the game starts.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Awesome, 50 players means the game will definitely start tonight. I will post later when I start assigning roles, so until then signups will still be accepted. After I post, only reserve spots will be available.

Delmain on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited May 2010
    One of the things that always puzzled me about Avatar is why, in a setting that so heavily borrows from chinese history, mythology, and martial arts, would they depend on western concept of elements?

Air is not an element in the classic chinese genre. Fire, earth, wood, metal, and water are the five elements.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm gonna go with "Because it's an American show."

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm gonna go with "Because it's an American show."

+1

Also air may be a little easier to grasp for kids as an "element" than metal or wood...

Egos on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shushnik wrote: »
    One of the things that always puzzled me about Avatar is why, in a setting that so heavily borrows from chinese history, mythology, and martial arts, would they depend on western concept of elements?

Air is not an element in the classic chinese genre. Fire, earth, wood, metal, and water are the five elements.
    Because it doesn't work as well thematically? Fire, earth, water, and air all have distinctive styles in the show. Wood and metal wouldn't add any variety really (plus they'd take away from the awesomeness of Toph :P), and then you'd miss out on air, which is rather distinctive.

Just because they borrow from Asian elements and whatnot doesn't mean they need everything. Pick what makes the show the best!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In the interests of attaining the magical 60, sign up

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Shushnik wrote: »

Because it doesn't work as well thematically? Fire, earth, water, and air all have distinctive styles in the show. Wood and metal wouldn't add any variety really (plus they'd take away from the awesomeness of Toph :P), and then you'd miss out on air, which is rather distinctive.

Just because they borrow from Asian elements and whatnot doesn't mean they need everything. Pick what makes the show the best!

Also could you imagine wood bending or metal bending?

It could lend itself pretty well to horror. Vines and stakes for wood benders. Tons of impalement and ensnaring.

Plus metal bending would be like Magneto, possibly gruesome if an extremely powerful metal bender could manipulate metal in the blood stream O_O

Or possibly encase himself in metal.

Egos on