As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kick-Ass: Mostly aptly named film since Superbad

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    t will be a failure, but there's money to be made from this franchise,

It's not a franchise. It's a single movie.

Well, there's a second comic on the way...

Turkey on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    What Fatboy is getting at here (and he's discussed it before) is the misuse of the term franchise. Most of us would actively despise this becoming a franchise. Unless of course you want to see Kick-Ass happy meals, Big-Daddy halloween costumes, and a Hit-Girl spin-off saturday morning cartoon.

A better term would probably be series, but even then, there's only the movie and the comic. And yes, a second "season" of the comic is planned, but has anything actually been started on it yet?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Judging from the marketing for the movie, I'm surprised they didn't have Kick-Ass happy meals.

Turkey on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Judging from the marketing for the movie, I'm surprised they didn't have Kick-Ass happy meals.

it's rated R dude

NotYou on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What Fatboy is getting at here (and he's discussed it before) is the misuse of the term franchise. Most of us would actively despise this becoming a franchise. Unless of course you want to see Kick-Ass happy meals, Big-Daddy halloween costumes, and a Hit-Girl spin-off saturday morning cartoon.

A better term would probably be series, but even then, there's only the movie and the comic. And yes, a second "season" of the comic is planned, but has anything actually been started on it yet?

I for one would totally endorse a Hit-Girl adult-aimed cartoon. And if there don't end up being Big-Daddy Halloween costumes, I will eat my hat.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »

I for one would totally endorse a Hit-Girl adult-aimed cartoon. And if there don't end up being Big-Daddy Halloween costumes, I will eat my hat.

If nobody made Big-Daddy costumes, how would I wear one?

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Honestly, Big Daddy from the comic looks much better, and it would be easier to put together yourself too.
    517791-scan0001_super.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Honestly, Big Daddy from the comic looks much better, and it would be easier to put together yourself too.
    517791-scan0001_super.jpg

Hah. I used to own that coat. Sadly it is now 5 sizes too big for me. But, aesthetically, I like the movie one better. Batman with a gun just makes me feel warm and fuzzy somehow.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a shame that at some point during his career nick cage didnt play batman, someone said it here but his big daddy is an awesome batman

override367 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »

I'm sure there will be a fair share of slutty Hit Girl costumes.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a shame that at some point during his career nick cage didnt play batman, someone said it here but his big daddy is an awesome batman

If they ever do another campy batman live action feature of SOME sort, be it TV special or whatever, Nick Cage must be him. No matter what.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just because he paused before every other word? Any actor could do that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah by that Logic William Shatner could be a campy Batman

Oh my god.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I.... AM.... THE NIGHT!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Nick Cage was pretty funny, though. He had that borderline crazy tone that Adam West has, too.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Dunno about you, but I grew up watching Adam West as Batman on TV and, adjusting for the fogginess of memory and nostalgia, he had it down. Even the postures and mannerisms. The way he'd sort of awkwardly pose sometimes, one hand up near his face, elbow on his other hand crossing his chest? Adam West all day long.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Dunno about you, but I grew up watching Adam West as Batman on TV and, adjusting for the fogginess of memory and nostalgia, he had it down. Even the postures and mannerisms. The way he'd sort of awkwardly pose sometimes, one hand up near his face, elbow on his other hand crossing his chest? Adam West all day long.

While it was a very good, and funny performance, he was not channeling Adam West. It was a very, very exaggerated impersonation of Adam West.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Which was probably the goal. Cause Big Daddy isn't a fucking actor, he's a psychotic father with a very skewed sense of what's right.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well I more meant how awesome it was seeing a batman guy gun down mans and then burn the place down, all in a day's work - and at the same time act so fucking goofy to the point of absurdity

override367 on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Which was probably the goal. Cause Big Daddy isn't a fucking actor, he's a psychotic father with a very skewed sense of what's right.

Exactly, he's a huge nerd trying to be a super hero, of course he's going to act like what he thinks super heroes act like.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Boooo because...

it might be so awesome that it ends the world?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't know, I mean Red Mist renaming himself "The Motherf***er" seems a bit of an odd touch. I mean, even the villians in Wanted didn't tag themselves with pen names like that.
    And how the hell do you pronounce that many *s?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The hero's name is Kick-Ass. Why shouldn't his nemesis be named Motherfucker?

And it's not like Red Mist made any sense as a name.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Boooo because...

it might be so awesome that it ends the world?

Eh I just feel that it will just crap and will ignore the messages from the first movie. Kick-ass obviously isn't cut out to be a superheroe, hit girl needs to be normal and htat means no more killing/fighting/superheroeing etc. It might be a good movie but it seems that it won't be a good sequel.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's not like the sequel is just a cash grab. It was intended from the start. The ending of the first film even telegraphs it.

And the message of the film was, "Having no power doesn't mean you have no responsibility." If Red Mist were to become enough of a problem to force Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl to respond, then they'd have no choice.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I really wanted to see this movie. Looked up when it was going to be on last night.

Already out of my theater. Bastards.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I saw Iron Man 2 during the day and Kick Ass at about 1am. What a good Friday.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just caught it yesterday myself. I'm confused about the sequel talk. Even a page ago, we were saying the movie was a commercial failure? Why the sequel then? Usually if it's on the border (like Silent Hill) we have to wait years to get an answer.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There is a sequel coming out for the comic, so the story is already there. Additionally, it made back it's production budget easily. It's only a failure because Lionsgate is helmed by fucking retards who screwed the pooch with the advertising.

It was independently financed in the first place. Lionsgate only handled the distribution. As long as the original financiers got their investment plus a profit back, I there's no reason they shouldn't give the go-ahead to a sequel. They'll just have to find a smarter distributer next time around.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hitgirl4.jpg

Just Like That on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Normally I love sequels to stuff I enjoy but I really think any sequel is just gonna fuck it hard, for a start Chloe Mortetz is already 13, by the itme a movie comes around she'll be even older and I think HG works a lot because of her age.

Plus one of them is going to end up dead.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, this movie was considered a failure?

I thought it was doing very well in theaters. Like, extremely well.

Godfather on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And it was extremely cheap to make (in comparison to other movies) so I imagine they made some decent money?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    And it was extremely cheap to make (in comparison to other movies) so I imagine they made some decent money?

According to wikipedia the budget was 28 million, and it's made over 73 million. Figure it's going to make a killing on disc release with the extended cut and it looks to me like it made impressive bank for an R rated film.

Of course, that isn't taking into account the advertising, which as mentioned before was insanely overbudgeted and appearently run by a complete and total silly-goose.

see317 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Buying the movie day 1 on Blu-Ray... And I don't really have the cash to do that. But I have to support this awesome movie.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah. I'm buying it on DVD myself.

My family isn't really big on theaters so they usually only watch things on DVD these days.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2010
    That was a lot of meh. What highlighted how conventional the film was were all the hints at unconventionality. Listen to the narrator. See the first ass-kicking Kick-Ass gets. Wonder what comes next. What happens when ordinary people put on costumes and take to the streets to fight crime? Apparently the same ol' comic book film, with dressing. I guess it starts of as some deconstruction of the super-hero, and some meta look costumes, and then promptly gives up and gives as a straight of a story as it can manage, with some twists. Everybody loves those.

Now to jump straight to a different point, and that is that I hate precocious children in film. Even when precociousness is disguised as adorably-dangerous; it's the same lame shtick, and it's still not cute. Oh, she said cunt. I'm gonna roll on the floor and laugh. Oh, just tell me when you'll stop. My tummy thanks you for doing something funnier. Like, you know, an old lady cursing. Oh, how hilarious that would've been.

The We're Doing The Ironic Music Thing Now, OK bits were tolerable. Which reminds me of something; watching this I just kept thinking of Tarantino and Kill Bill. Somewhat random, I suppose, but that man knows how to dance on that fine line of music.

Nicolas Cage was pretty great. I did not know he was in this.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    I thought it was doing very well in theaters. Like, extremely well.

You'd be wrong.

But Lionsgate is mostly to blame, as I think Vaughn and Millar already have gotten their money back, plus some.

Lionsgate seemed to think they had a Summer tentpole release on their hands, and marketed appropriately. Except they seemed to forget that:
    - Kick-Ass was rated R
    - Kick-Ass wasn't a sequel
    - Kick-Ass starred nobody famous
    - Kick-Ass was made on the cheap
    - Kick-Ass is squarely intended for a niche market
    - Kick-Ass opened in April

The blame is on them, I'm afraid. I mean, spending $50 million on advertising is something only done by mid-scale holiday films, like Sherlock Holmes. Not quirky, weird R-rated movies for teenaged geeks.

Atomika on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    That was a lot of meh. What highlighted how conventional the film was were all the hints at unconventionality. Listen to the narrator. See the first ass-kicking Kick-Ass gets. Wonder what comes next. What happens when ordinary people put on costumes and take to the streets to fight crime? Apparently the same ol' comic book film, with dressing. I guess it starts of as some deconstruction of the super-hero, and some meta look costumes, and then promptly gives up and gives as a straight of a story as it can manage, with some twists. Everybody loves those.

Well, the biggest problem here is that the goalposts are moved, moved again, and then removed entirely.

Kick-Ass, as proposed in the first act, is supposed to be a realistic take on what would happen if a teenager decided to become a superhero without powers or heaps of money. And the film delivered on that premise . . . . for about 45 minutes.

Then, the very second we see Hit Girl in action, that movie is over. Because a movie about the realistic problems of being a superhero don't conceivably involve:
    - Teaming up with a father/daughter crimefighting duo
    - Befriending another hero with a super-car
    - Taking on an entire mob family with a bazooka, jet pack, and mini-gun.

The meta commentary -which goes mostly abandoned by the midway point- is just the film's pretense.

Atomika on