As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Omegathon

ChiefOmegatechChiefOmegatech Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in PAX Archive
Hello,
I am in charge of running the Omegathon, that kick ass gamming competition at PAX. In the last three years of PAX the Omegathon has not drawn the crowd that an event like this should pull. As PAX is being planned this year one of the things I would like do is collect ideas from you on how to get more people coming to watch the competition.
If you are planning on going to PAX, what would it take to get you to come to these events? 20 gamers pour their hearts out and we want a crowd at each game cheering them on.
Thanks.

ChiefOmegatech on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh cmon greenguns, you could have come up with a better username for the pa forums than that :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If the Omegathon could be held in one room instead of moving based on the event I think that would help.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • ChiefOmegatechChiefOmegatech Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Oh cmon greenguns, you could have come up with a better username for the pa forums than that :P

I had GreenGuns but I can't seem to log in by it. New name that sounds all offical FTW.

ChiefOmegatech on
    edited April 2007
    spydey wrote: »
    If the Omegathon could be held in one room instead of moving based on the event I think that would help.

I love this idea and pushed for it myself, saddly we can't get it going this year at PAX it is one of my top goals for PAX08.

ChiefOmegatech on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    At PAX 05' we had a bunch of tv screens that were hanging around on the main floor; a few of the pannels and The Wizard were able to be viewed from outside the main theater hall. Now I don't know what went into that but you could always try geting a few TVs or moniters and broadcast each round to the rest of PAX; or at least part of PAX. that way at least we'd know what's going on.

Just a thought, It might not be possable but it's worth a shot.

QuickSnap.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Previously, there's been a lot of confusion as to where some rounds of the Omegathon are actually taking place and some of the games, like Diceland, are simply not worth watching. A big crowd means lots of room, and the old PAX venue became so tightly packed that everything moved at a crawl.

Guitar Hero is a great choice of game simply because it can preceed one of the concerts. When all else fails, streaming the final rounds to television sets is a great idea. I remember watching PAX 05's last Mario Kart match that way, and it was a heck of a lot better than trying to peer over a bunch of heads. There were chairs set up and everything was pretty relaxed.

Thello on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    I watched the 05 Final Round sitting outside the big TV at Bandland. I would like to see most of the Omegathon broadcast in this format, if not from the TV being used, than through whatever camera is filming the action.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it comes down to the games being played, it's great that they cover such a broad spectrum, and I think that leads to choosing the most "worthy", but ultimately if it's not a game I like I'm not going to take time away from all the other cool PAX stuff to watch a bunch of people I don't know play it.

I think you really need to go more in depth with the Omeganauts, really profile the hell out of them, their backgrounds, their game preferences etc. If I'm going to take time to watch people play games I don't like, I'd better know who they are and want them to win. It would also be nice if there was some kind of Omegathon section on the PAX website that would be updated during PAX with results from the different events and feedback from each of the Omeganauts about their wins and losses.

Also, the final round last year was such an anticlimax, especially with G&T breaking the tradition of playing one round before ending the ceremony.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    While I understand that some feel the omegathon should be viewed...I just would rather play games myself than watch some guys I don't know play games. :( especially if it's something like diceland.

xxhennersxx on
  • SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    My problem with viewing the Omegathon is really viewing the Omegathon. Most of the time the competition is held in small rooms barely able to hold the contestants and G&T let alone anyone wanting to watch. A perfect example of this is the Mario Kart DS round from last year. It was impossible to see what is going on because it was on the DS and unless you were standing on an Omeganaut all you could do is sit and wait for someone to shout out who was in the lead or who won the race.
    Counter to that the GH round last year at the concert was AWSOME!

So to make things better make it easier to watch by putting it up on big screens in a open area so that people who want to watch can. Second, Hype up the Omeganauts more before PAX starts. Typically I have no idea who any of the contestants are and don't care who wins since Im not in it. Again last year was different since everyone knew Leroy and was rooting for him. Maybe the week before PAX starts put up the BIOS of the Omeganauts on the frontpage so we know who is competing. Really just anything more that can be done to hype up the people who are playing as opposed from just hyping the event itself.

SoulFury on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I agree with SoulFury on hyping the Omeganauts themselves. Get them to pick their own intro music that plays as they are introduced or something.

Maybe pass out door prizes at the Omeganaut competitions? For each round you could do something like announce a random name from someone at PAX to be matched up with each contestant. If their competitor goes on, they get a prize. Then next round you get a whole new batch of random names.

Doc on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    In regards to the DS thing:

If Nintendo is around again this year(why wouldn't they be...) and has the DS stands at their booth, see if you can work it out with them to have the DS Omegathon round(if there is one) take place on those.

I was surprised this didn't happen last year.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Encourage Omeganauts to form teams. Perhaps even go so far as setting up an Omeganaut ladder and letting people enter their picks online for a chance at a secondary prize of some sort.

Also seconding the theme music.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Omeganauts should be able to make up their own history, backstory, and shit.
    Theme music

Fuck yes.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Basically the sentiment is pay attention to the Omegathon. Last year contestants weren't in the program, nor was much about the prize. As a result, people didn't pay much attention to the contest as a whole.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sort of off topic but when do the contestants get chosen, and how much do I have to bribe you to get to be a contestant? I would pay a lot more attention to the Omegathon is I were competing in it.

Hirocon on
    edited April 2007
    Hirocon wrote: »
    Sort of off topic but when do the contestants get chosen, and how much do I have to bribe you to get to be a contestant? I would pay a lot more attention to the Omegathon is I were competing in it.

You and everyone else...

You cant bribe anyone... Although if you were to offer up 1 million to childs play khoo *might* think about it :P

Omegatnauts are chosen *RANDOMLY* from the pre-reg pool of people who put the check in the box "YES I WANT TO BE AN OMEGANAUT" when they pre-registered for pax.
    If you didn't do that then you don't have much of a chance.

BigRed on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still think we need some sort of implementation of "pick your pony" even though it kind of flopped the first year. We need something bringing us into the action some how.

A set Omegathon location each and every time. Maybe the stage for each round instead of different locations each time except for the pc gaming round. Consistency draws people to a place. Announcements when the event might help as well.

Viscountalpha on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The '04 and '05 Omegathons were worlds better than last year's. In '04, I think a large part of it was that the contestants were profiled in the booklet and that you could "pick your pony" as Viscount put it. I chose JoshEEE because he was the only one over 30 and I felt a kindred spirit. I showed up to the events to cheer him on.

In '05, I think we all got lucky in that the game competitions were so epic. (Some of that existed in '04 as well.) I think if you tried to script the Combat ending you wouldn't even come close to the coolness that it was. All I can suggest here is to pick games that lend themselves to being a) spectator friendly and b) close.

Finally, and this is something you can't do much about anymore, but the smaller number of attendees gave 2004 and 2005 a smaller, community feel. You actually bumped into the same people over and over and had conversations. You made connections that drew you in. The mammoth size that '06 was somewhat prevented that. It's a general problem, but I think it affects Omegathon participation.

Oh, wait, one last thing... allow Leeroy to play every single year. As I've said in the past, he is a showman.

DJBreslin on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    uh the omegathon always seems to conflict with other things going on.
    panels>omegathon

futility on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Omeganauts should be able to make up their own history, backstory, and shit.
    Theme music
    Fuck yes.

Championship Belt.

SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS. YOU KNOW IT TO BE GOOD.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited April 2007
    futility wrote: »
    uh the omegathon always seems to conflict with other things going on.
    panels>omegathon

I share this sentiment.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DJBreslin wrote: »

In '05, I think we all got lucky in that the game competitions were so epic. (Some of that existed in '04 as well.) I think if you tried to script the Combat ending you wouldn't even come close to the coolness that it was.

I disagree. I've spent many hours of my youth playing combat so am very familiar with gametypes and the tricks of the trade( like Holding up to keep moving after you score) They could of done invisible tanks and THAT would of been something to watch. Classic tanks like that is sorta lame. Being invisible until you fire would of been nearly heart stopping and perfectly suited for the final round.

Viscountalpha on
    edited April 2007
    if you guys liked 04 and 05 cause they were smaller... you might dislike 07 then (at least, not enjoy as much). Its going to be massive.

That being said, I had the most fun at pax in 05.

BigRed on
    edited April 2007
    Viscountalpha: I felt the same way about the elimination round they did with Quake 1 in `05. They picked the stupidest map possible for a large scale multiplayer match, E1M1, which is super linear and totally unbalanced because it's part of the single player campaign, with the excuse that it would the most well-known or identifiable. (Which couldn't be true for the players because they all played like total n00bz. Nobody picked up the pent for at least the first five minutes.) DM3 would have been a much better choice as it was designed for multiplayer.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited April 2007
    Keep 'em coming. I can't promise to use them all but they are all good things for me and my boys to toss around.

ChiefOmegatech on
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Omegatnauts are chosen *RANDOMLY* from the pre-reg pool of people who put the check in the box "YES I WANT TO BE AN OMEGANAUT" when they pre-registered for pax.

I checked that box, so I guess my work is done, for now. But please answer my first question: when are the Omeganauts chosen? Because, you know, I'd hate to get chosen as an Omeganaut, miss the notification e-mail (it would probably go into junk-mail), then get passed on for someone else. Please tell me when I need to check my junk mail folder.

Hirocon on
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I checked that box, so I guess my work is done, for now. But please answer my first question: when are the Omeganauts chosen? Because, you know, I'd hate to get chosen as an Omeganaut, miss the notification e-mail (it would probably go into junk-mail), then get passed on for someone else. Please tell me when I need to check my junk mail folder.

In the past Gabe has called the winners. No email.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One of the Omegathon rounds should be jousting. With lances! I'd definitely go watch that.
    This will be my first year so I really don't have any constructive criticism but having the Omeganauts mentioned in the booklet seems nice, as does having the rounds played on TVs around the convention.

Also, jousting.

Dondums on
    internet
    edited April 2007

If you checked the box you are good. If you are one of the 20 people selected you will get a phone call from Gabe or Tycho asking you if you are willing to take part in the Omegathon.

ChiefOmegatech on
    edited April 2007

Sometime in july/august I believe.

AFAIK *if you are chosen* you are called about on the phone # you put in when you registered.

If one didnt put down a phone number then it might be defaulted to email contact. Just make sure any emails from @penny-arcade.com are on your safe list.

Edit: damnit, didnt see greenguns' post. Oh well.

BigRed on
    edited April 2007

In '05, I think we all got lucky in that the game competitions were so epic. (Some of that existed in '04 as well.) I think if you tried to script the Combat ending you wouldn't even come close to the coolness that it was.

I disagree. I've spent many hours of my youth playing combat so am very familiar with gametypes and the tricks of the trade( like Holding up to keep moving after you score) They could of done invisible tanks and THAT would of been something to watch. Classic tanks like that is sorta lame. Being invisible until you fire would of been nearly heart stopping and perfectly suited for the final round.

I guess that's why I say we got lucky. It wasn't the game parameters that made the difference, but the way the rounds happened to play out. The crushing defeat in the first one, the come from behind win on the second to keep it going, and then the last second back and forth in the tie breaker.

To be honest, I think invisible tanks would've made it less good. I think it would be harder for the audience to get into it. Perhaps one round that way...

I think game selection and presentation is key. The Omegathon designer who pays special attention to how the audience will react / interact will have the best Omegathon yet.

DJBreslin on
    edited April 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »
    One of the Omegathon rounds should be jousting. With lances! I'd definitely go watch that.
    This will be my first year so I really don't have any constructive criticism but having the Omeganauts mentioned in the booklet seems nice, as does having the rounds played on TVs around the convention.

Also, jousting.

I think you're hitting on something important here. Gaming doesn't have to be limited to what we normally think of it to be. Also, the rounds don't have to be gaming related at all. We are also geeks.

I'm going to think on this for a while...

DJBreslin on
    edited April 2007

I guess that's why I say we got lucky. It wasn't the game parameters that made the difference, but the way the rounds happened to play out. The crushing defeat in the first one, the come from behind win on the second to keep it going, and then the last second back and forth in the tie breaker.

To be honest, I think invisible tanks would've made it less good. I think it would be harder for the audience to get into it. Perhaps one round that way...

I think game selection and presentation is key. The Omegathon designer who pays special attention to how the audience will react / interact will have the best Omegathon yet.

The best people play invisible tanks, You have to keep your mind set on your location and still be wary of your enemy. Because if you are not, their location fire might be the one that hits you. It levels the playing field a bit and puts a ton more skill into it.

heh, I'll bring my 2600 flashback 2 and see if you think so after it :P

Viscountalpha on
    edited April 2007

The best people play invisible tanks, You have to keep your mind set on your location and still be wary of your enemy. Because if you are not, their location fire might be the one that hits you. It levels the playing field a bit and puts a ton more skill into it.

Perhaps what's best for pure competition is not what's best for the Omegathon. I would liken this to the fact that Mario Kart is great fun, but not a good competition game.

DJBreslin on
    edited April 2007

Perhaps what's best for pure competition is not what's best for the Omegathon. I would liken this to the fact that Mario Kart is great fun, but not a good competition game.

I would argue the final round should be about skill and not luck. Combat is one of those games where if you can get a roll, it gets a tad unfair. Shot, score, Shot, score, shot , score.. needless to say none of my brothers or sisters wanted to play me much afterwards.

Viscountalpha on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    That may be, but 05's combat match was the most intense I've ever seen.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    if you guys liked 04 and 05 cause they were smaller... you might dislike 07 then (at least, not enjoy as much). Its going to be massive.

That being said, I had the most fun at pax in 05.

=(

Yeah, truth be told, '06 was my least favorite year. '05 had a nice balance of people, what was probably the best concert line-up, and the single best Omegathon for both prizes and participants.

Thello on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Answering the op, panels get in the way, as well as tournies. Honestly, if there was a way to have it so that the omegathon rounds happened before everything started each day (during the 1hour pre-registrant entry only time) and then held the other rounds after most things were done for the day (would need to check the schedule, but preconcert, post tournies and panels for the day), you wouldn't be splitting people's time between the omegathon rounds and gaming fun. It also gives them something to talk about starting their day at the expo and also before dinner.

Since this schedule would also not be during any panels, hold the rounds in the main hall or in a really open noticable area (like in front of south hall at E3, or where the "ball" event took place in PAX 06.).

There's much more that can be done too (great game selection and setup for the rounds to name one), but listed above are IMO the major things. People simply don't like having to split their time between things, especially something they're quite intensely passionate about. Talk to anyone who was in the panel lineups at PAX 06 and they'll tell you as much. ;)

Polago on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Make it easier to see what's going on, too. With the number of people there, we need something better than looking over people's shoulders. Get a feed up on the big projector or something.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.