As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Massively Multiplayer Online Game

1235»

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As long as SW:TOR is even a decent game and can keep the initial subscribers it will break a million subscribers in the first year, almost guaranteed. SW:TOR is an entirely different beast, because it's an established IP that people love, and it's made by a company with very dedicated fans. Just like Blizzard got first time MMOers from Diablo, SWTOR will get veterans and also first time MMO players who will actually play an MMO with a story. Go look at how many copies sold of KotOR, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Dragon Age, and you'll have a pretty good idea of how many people are going to be buying SW:TOR.

Joshmvii on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    As long as SW:TOR is even a decent game and can keep the initial subscribers it will break a million subscribers in the first year, almost guaranteed. SW:TOR is an entirely different beast, because it's an established IP that people love, and it's made by a company with very dedicated fans. Just like Blizzard got first time MMOers from Diablo, SWTOR will get veterans and also first time MMO players who will actually play an MMO with a story. Go look at how many copies sold of KotOR, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Dragon Age, and you'll have a pretty good idea of how many people are going to be buying SW:TOR.

I'm more then likely going to try it out too, if for no other reason, then to see how well it is implemented both in gameplay and story. It might just be a great game, but we can't help but be skeptical after a few years of big releases going bust over and over.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »

I don't know if you could say its 1:1 though. (Yes I know you did not expressly say that). I love the Mass Effect games, enjoyed DA, and am a big Star Wars fan. Hell a friend and I choreographed a light saber battle and performed it outside our local theatre when Episode 1 came out. I am not planning on buying this though.

Mutilate on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, there are definitely plenty of people who won't buy it, but I just mean it's only the 3rd time a company has taken a known franchise, developed by a company with a rabid fanbase, and jumped into the MMO market with success. Obviously WoW is the number one here, but FFXI followed the same principle, and they managed to have a lot of success with a much more hardcore game, and didn't bother to really give people much convenience as time went on that you see with WoW, with FFXI still using the same lousy UI it began with, etc.

I full expect TOR to be in this same category, but with even more western success than FFXI ever got. Bioware fans are rabid. I myself being one of those rabid fans is still highly skeptical that they can pull off the promises they're making, and make me think "I'd rather log into TOR than WoW" when I need my MMO fix, but I certainly hope they manage it.

Joshmvii on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hope it is successful. Competition is nothing but good for the consumer. Honestly Blizzard needs some competition. I don't think they are sitting back or anything but sometimes I feel like they could use a little more motivation.

Mutilate on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If the news that SW:TOR won't be releasing in fiscal 2011 bears true, we may be seeing whether FFXIV and GW2 perform first, since those are two other games promised for 2011 and seem to be held close to the chest and no intentions of releasing before they are ready.

sidhaethe on
  • JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Instead of losing a house with all your personal items how about after you save the village it becomes a quest hub? Perhaps you gain status with them, access to better items, and can even build the village up and make it larger. If it were wiped out you wouldn't lose any of your gear or personal items but you would feel kind of attached to it after building it up.

Might be late to the party, but why not have villagers tithe to their "Saviours".
    You took part in the battle that helped them stay free and safe... great, you get like .5% of whatever is spent on vendors in said town / hamlet.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.