As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Linux] Thread - Turn your three yard elf into a powerhouse!

1575859606163»

• Options
    darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It does work though, which is more than good enough for say XBMC. I wouldn't recommend gaming with it though. ATi cards with the Radeon drivers are about as fast the Intel video chips.

It's a damn good start.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It does work though, which is more than good enough for say XBMC. I wouldn't recommend gaming with it though. ATi cards with the Radeon drivers are about as fast the Intel video chips.

It's a damn good start.

On the other hand, it couldn't come close to handling this at its native resolution (640x480):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYKLMCPyC2w

I wouldn't say it's usable for much more than compositing.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ya...

If you want games on Linux, don't bother with ATi. At least the Radeon drivers support XV output though, unlike the fglrx drivers.

According to the head ATi Linux dev, proper XV support isn't getting added anytime soon to the binary drivers. Proper video support in fglrx is not a priority to them, as the fglrx drivers are considered to be "workstation" drivers.

Nvidia is still your best bet in any case. VDPAU is awesome.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Isn't ATi the company that removed 2D rendering lines from all of their graphic cards, because it wasn't their focus anymore?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lagnar, try Unetbootin. It's as easy as pie.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Isn't ATi the company that removed 2D rendering lines from all of their graphic cards, because it wasn't their focus anymore?
    Their hardware is fast enough that they don't see much of a point in including dedicated 2D hardware, instead letting their drivers optimize 2D commands for the 3D hardware...which is plenty fast on their Windows drivers but slow on Linux. That, coupled with the fact that there isn't a whole lot of needed for 2D hardware (a lot of things we perceive as being two-dimensional is actually being rendered in 2D from a fixed point of view) is why they decided to kill it.

They actually are starting to use more of the code from their Windows driver for fglrx, and while it isn't enabled by default they introduced Direct2DAccel in Catalyst 10.2. If the name sounds familiar it's because Direct2D is a DirectX API.

Also, fuck Nvidia. I'll consider buying their hardware when:
    • They cut back power consumption
    • Generate less heat
    • Perform as well as ATi's offerings
    • Are priced more competitively with ATi's offerings
    • They stop being dicks about PhysX when you're using an ATi GPU for rendering

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll buy ATi as soon as their official drivers support XV output (or they make the Radeon drivers the official "desktop" drivers).

It doesn't matter how awesome the hardware is if you can't use it.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    XV output?

And yeah, I supposedly had an 'old' ATI Mobility Radeon card and the performance that I got, even with 2D, was at times horrid, to put it nicely. It scarred me, and I have promised myself never to buy an ATI card again.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    XV video is the primary video output API on X11. It's about 50% faster than OpenGL when playing videos.
    Its main use today is to rescale video playback in the video controller hardware, in order to enlarge a given video or to watch it in full screen mode. Without XVideo, X would have to do this scaling on the main CPU. That requires a considerable amount of processing power, sometimes to the point of slowing down/degrading the video stream; the video controller is specifically designed for this kind of computation, so can do it much more cheaply. Similarly, the X video extension has the video controller perform color space conversions. It can also have the controller change contrast, brightness and hue of a displayed video stream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_video_extension

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    F* hell guys, the Humble Indie Bundle has just hit 1 million dollars, and Linux gamers have the highest donation average with ~$15. Crazy!

Also, 4 of the 6 games being offered have gone Open-Source: Lugaru, Gish, Aquaria and Penumbra: Overture.

These guys are amazing. Does this mean we'll see these games on Linux repositories? Because that would be awesome!

Impersonator on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's fucking awesome.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    YES!

STEAM IS COMING TO LINUX!

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcement&num=1
    Valve Corporation has today rolled out their Steam Mac OS X client to the general public and confirmed something we have been reporting for two years: the Steam content delivery platform and Source Engine are coming to Linux. This news is coming days after we discovered proof in Steam's Mac OS X Client of Linux support and subsequently found more Linux references and even the unreleased Steam Linux client. The day has finally come and Linux gamers around the world have a reason to rejoice, as this is the biggest news for the Linux gaming community that sees very few tier-one titles.

Those enthusiasts within the Phoronix community even managed to get the unreleased Steam Linux client running up to a partially drawn UI and other modifications, but now that work can stop as Valve is preparing to officially release the Steam Linux client from where they will start to offer Linux native games available for sale. For all those doubting our reports that Source/Steam would be coming to Linux, you can find confirmation in the UK's Telegraph and other news sites. An announcement from Valve itself is imminent.

Found already within the Steam store are Linux-native games like Unreal Tournament 2004, World of Goo, and titles from id Software such as Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Doom 3. Now that the Source Engine is officially supported on Linux, some Source-based games will be coming over too. Will we finally see Unreal Tournament 3 surface on Linux too? Only time will tell, but it is something we speculated back in 2008. Postal III is also being released this year atop the Source Engine and it will be offering up a native client. We have confirmed that Valve's latest and popular titles like Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, and Team Fortress 2 are among the first of the Steam Linux titles, similar to the Mac OS X support. The released Linux client should be available by the end of summer.

edit: The client dl link is working again: http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_linux

Content is as follows:
    "linux"
    {
    	"version"		"1273644155"
    	"public_all"
    	{
    		"file"		"public_all.zip.796fda04912d5073fc11ee006d6cb54965d2c3de"
    		"checksum"		"796fda04912d5073fc11ee006d6cb54965d2c3de"
    		"size"		"10951533"
    	}
    	"skins_all"
    	{
    		"file"		"skins_all.zip.6a58428db616736d79a3374ba75abd29e2c1276f"
    		"checksum"		"6a58428db616736d79a3374ba75abd29e2c1276f"
    		"size"		"5695"
    	}
    	"bins_linux"
    	{
    		"file"		"bins_linux.zip.fe49bbc71b714853c42bb28442fff5b0c47d027c"
    		"checksum"		"fe49bbc71b714853c42bb28442fff5b0c47d027c"
    		"size"		"13647879"
    	}
    	"steam_linux"
    	{
    		"file"		"steam_linux.zip.9030a2f3cefcbe80f0924426ed4bcf7b5b03cd5a"
    		"checksum"		"9030a2f3cefcbe80f0924426ed4bcf7b5b03cd5a"
    		"size"		"1462162"
    		"IsBootstrapperPackage"		"1"
    	}
    }
    "kvsignatures"
    {
    	"linux"		"56f16d1e67a295b459e7f8f9e918443db54b37d4fe9443ba97fa78be181b5226dec00da9c1046d7421352d007b63cab4a0455f3a2f0b54e110bb611468932b2e2a356a1eef760c6d90c10a4e050b4c64e5318d7ff8c3af7c39b34a76281f792a68d25a1815b87d5ab12e24fe3559ecd9814dacefeb75b564700622581198c894"
    }

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh my god, that's a gamechanger.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm ..surprised.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I guess I'm not really that surprised. It was relatively easy after doing an OS X port, but still.. People say that all the time, but they're actually doing it. Aaaawesome.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can't wait to get my new PC. :winky:

Impersonator on
This discussion has been closed.