As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Solved] Have network access, but cannot access the internet

TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm running windows 7, and I can connect to my network with my desktop but I can't access the internet or play online games.

My computer was recently infected by a fake antivirus trojan that hijacked norton antivirus (whenever I click on the comprehensive scan button I am redirected to the backup settings window). I uploaded a trial version of AVG and Spybot S&D to my infected desktop (from my laptop) and ran several system scans. The scans turned up several threats and removed them. I don't think my desktop is still infected since all recent scans have come up negative. However I still can't access the internet.

Whenever I try to access any webpage (on any browser) I get an error stating that "this webpage is unavailable."

Every online game client is unable to connect to the appropriate server.

Windows update still works, and I'm able to update antivirus definitions with AVG.

I uninstalled and reinstalled my onboard network controllers' drivers.

I've reset the winsock settings.

I've tried to run system restore, but it always fails no matter what restore point I choose.

All of the other solutions I've found online involve running an app that I have to pay for.

Is there anything I can do (aside from reformatting) that doesn't involve me spending money?

EH28YFo.jpg
Taranis on

• Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reset your modem/router, could just be a coincidence. Do you have anything else in the house that connects to the net?

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Reset your modem/router, could just be a coincidence. Do you have anything else in the house that connects to the net?

My girlfriend's laptop and my laptop are able to access the internet, and my Xbox can connect to xbox live.

I just reset the router and modem, and I'm still getting the same error.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ah, I see, I missed where you mentioned the laptop before.

Well, you could try throwing the windows disk in and doing a repair or possibly uninstalling/reinstalling your network card.

No guarantees though.

Sipex on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Check for proxy settings in the browser?

Check hosts file? Maybe it's redirecting from when you had that malware?

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    rfalias wrote: »
    Check for proxy settings in the browser?

Check hosts file? Maybe it's redirecting from when you had that malware?

Do this first, sounds more likely since the PC can still update.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It was the proxy settings.

I had checked it before, but I must have overlooked the fact that it was using a proxy server since no proxy server was entered in the field.

Thanks for your help!

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg