As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, its Hellboy.

ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up.MichiganRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Graphic Violence
so apparently on may 2nd, the Hellboy: Darkness Calls 6 issue is starting, anyone else stoked?

Duncan Fegredo is doing the art, and from what i can see in the previews, it looks bloody fantastic.
darkness-calls-to-hellboy-20051123025048711.jpg

the Dark Horse web preview can be found here.

also i guess Lobster Johnson is getting his own project sometime in the future as well.

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
Zephos on

• SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hot damn!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Awesome! There are also animated Hellboy and Abe figures coming out very soon. Lobster Johnson! Woo! It would be awesome if Eric Powell drew and or wrote some Lobster.

DouglasDanger on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That art does look pretty good, but is it being created with the explicit intent to copy Mignola's style?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    When is this sucker going to be in TPB form?

siliconenhanced on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    The series hasn't even started to be released in singles yet.

So like, a year?

DJ Eebs on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    That art does look pretty good, but is it being created with the explicit intent to copy Mignola's style?

i'm not sure, it is like dead on pretty much though.

Zephos on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zephos wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »

i'm not sure, it is like dead on pretty much though.

It's very close, but its way more detailed. You can tell he's imitating Mignola though because he periodically slips into a much more curvolinear design pattern (as opposed to the angular design of Mignola). This makes it all the more impressive how well he's referencing Mignola, of course.

mattharvest on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Didn't originally Mignola want an artist that has his own look for the book? There was some disagreement with the original artist scheduled for this title, and now Duncan boards the ship and the style is all Mignola. Weird.

muninn on
    edited April 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    Didn't originally Mignola want an artist that has his own look for the book? There was some disagreement with the original artist scheduled for this title, and now Duncan boards the ship and the style is all Mignola. Weird.

Well, like I said, someone familiar with Mignola will eventually notice the difference.

For all we know, Duncan will let his natural style assert itself more as the issues progress; he might be trying to ease the transition (as opposed to the awful artwork - in my opinion - in BRPD) for Mignola fans.

I know that personally, half of what attracted me to Hellboy initially was the artwork, and that's the main reason I couldn't stay interested in BRPD.

mattharvest on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Guy Davis's art in B.P.R.D. is amazing.

I guess this is just one more thing to put on my list of reasons to destroy you eventually, Matt.

Spectre-x on
    edited April 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »

I guess this is just one more thing to put on my list of reasons to destroy you eventually, Matt.

Well, feel free to tack onto the list, but I'd wager there's at least one style or peice of art you find awful that I find gorgeous. If there's one area where it's often impossible to be right, it's aesthetics.

To explain my point a bit though, I just found the BRPD work (I'm not going to generalize about Davis' work in general) to be too sketchy and malformed. In fairness, that might be because I was so used to (and enamored with) Mignola's style. For whatever reason, I just found it distracting and uninteresting, visually. I'll have to look at it again some time in the future, to give it a shot, but I doubt it'll convince me.

Why does everyone capitalize Matt, btw? If I don't use a capital letter in my moniker, why put it there? It's not like it pisses me off, but it does confuse me. It's not like I call you SpectrE or something...

mattharvest on
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    The series hasn't even started to be released in singles yet.

So like, a year?

I don't buy singles if I can avoid it. So, I've got a wait it looks like.

siliconenhanced on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »

Well, feel free to tack onto the list, but I'd wager there's at least one style or peice of art you find awful that I find gorgeous. If there's one area where it's often impossible to be right, it's aesthetics.

To explain my point a bit though, I just found the BRPD work (I'm not going to generalize about Davis' work in general) to be too sketchy and malformed. In fairness, that might be because I was so used to (and enamored with) Mignola's style. For whatever reason, I just found it distracting and uninteresting, visually. I'll have to look at it again some time in the future, to give it a shot, but I doubt it'll convince me.

Why does everyone capitalize Matt, btw? If I don't use a capital letter in my moniker, why put it there? It's not like it pisses me off, but it does confuse me. It's not like I call you SpectrE or something...

Maybe because it makes sense for the first letter of a name such as Matt to be capitalised, while capitalising the last letter of a word makes no sense whatsoever.

Spectre-x on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hellboy and BPRD saved comics for me. So much better than most Marvel and DC stuff that gets cranked out.

Anyone want to talk about the latest spoilers? Some heavy shit is going down these days. Not the least of which is Hellboy's new found...
    royalty.

Him picking up Excalibur was the best laugh I've had since the monkey with a gun.

"Oh crap."

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hellboy thread. Ok, I'm in.

I don't know if Mignola will ever quite managed to carve together a finale for what he's doing, but it does seem to be getting on to a significant turning point.

The thing I don't really understand is that the BPRD seems to be scaling to match a contemporary, global threat with locations all over the world, while Hellboy's career is seemingly sending him further and further into the past, into the world of myth, and into what's feeling like a smaller space, conceptually.

The Storm was nice in #2 by actually showing some of the aftermath the BPRD have been getting warned about for a long time. I haven't been a fan of the dialogue in the Hellboy books so much, as for the most part it's been almost nonexistent much of the time, and I'd like to see Mignola never impale Hellboy on anything ever again, ever. I'd almost go so far as to suggest Mignola has forgotten Hellboy has a spine, anatomically speaking.

STILL!

I do dig Hellboy a great deal, even with its faults that are not yet being corrected.

My only thought really is that
    the worlds of myth are almost as misinformed and deceived about the end of the world as mankind is. Hellboy's tangling with ancient has-beens that ultimately will have zero say in the endgame. That, and he's still talking to ghosts most of the time.

Linespider5 on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ideally, Mignola/Arcudi/Davis will keep cranking out Hellboy/BPRD books for a long, long time. I hope that
    the end of the 'end of the world' story isn't the end of the line for Hellboy/BPRD stories.
    That'd just be a huge waste of awesome characters.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2010
    That's actually what I like about Hellboy-verse, it has a clear end in sight.

I highly doubt the worst case situation will happen in the main storyline, i.e., the apocalypse happen, Hellboy turns evil, mankind is destroyed, Hecate and the Ogdru Jahad win. That would sort of render moot 15+ years of stories. I believe the heroes will prevail, but the world will fundamentally change by passing through the cruxcible of armageddon.
    We might get the "New Eden" Rasputin pined for, but rather than a world of monsters, it's a fresh start for mankind in a very mythic way.

As far as how BPRD ties in with HB,
    I haven't read the storm yet, but it seems Hellboy is gathering an army of undead Knights of England to fight the Queen of Blood and her minions. I don't think Hellboy is divorced from saving the world, far from it. The poor BPRD is just fighting for time at this point. They've killed, what, three or four Ogdru Hem? There's a few hundred more where that came from, and the world is already incredibly screwed up from the Frog War.

HB on the other hand is dealing directly will all the hidden prophecies and forces in the shadows that are manipulating events. Things the BPRD could never handle on their own.

Honestly, I hope the Mignola version of the end of the world is Hellboy and his Knights verses the armies of Hell. That would be beyond kickass. Plus, in one of Liz' visions of the future, you can see Hellboy back with the BPRD folks standing over what looks like an Ogdru Hem... the date?

2012, brilliant.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited August 2010
    See, I have the opposite opinion. Being in some english forest with an army of several hundred sounds dinky and downright hidden. Meanwhile, the BPRD are going around the world, dealing with different governments, massive skirmishes with countless enemies...I mean, they just had an event in Germany that was much, much bigger than anything Hellboy can do out in the countryside. With the BPRD I understand the stakes. With Hellboy, oftentimes there's characters I barely get to know before they're gone or destroyed, and that's about it.

Linespider5 on
    edited August 2010
    Well, with the Queen of Blood's promise of a holocaust of humanity, I'd say Hellboy's work is definately relevant.

Plus,
    She's been driven crazy by the Ogdru Jahad and it seems she'll be getting new marching orders in part three of The Storm apparently.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited August 2010
    Well that's pretty good, anyway.

I've always liked the way the villains are generally manipulated in these books.

Linespider5 on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've never read a single issue of anything hellboy.

I feel like a bad comic book fan when I say that.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited August 2010
    Read the first trade, everything that's good is in the first trade. It's crazy self contained.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And the books just keep getting better too. I'm a book or two behind on Hellboy, and I don't have of the BPRD stuff ,stinking not enough money.

DouglasDanger on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The first trade isn't nearly as good as the series gets, since John Byrne scripts it instead of Mignola.

I'd introduce people with The Chained Coffin and Other Stories, personally.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited August 2010
    Wolves of Saint August is the bomb, I agree.

I flipped through War on Frogs and man was it terrible. It's the only Hellboy book I genuinely dislike. It has nothing that isn't covered in The Black Flame or Plauge of Frogs and the art is awful.

The Revival" was great. But it sort of doesn't count since you can see it online for free on Darkhorse Presents.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wolves of Saint August is the only comic I can think of that properly implemented a jump scare. I've never seen it done since.

I don't like the first trade precisely because Byrne helps write it.

Fatboy Roberts on
    edited August 2010
    As far as an intro to the world of Hellboy though, it covers all the bases. Demons, catholics, nazis, fish men, pyro girls, Rasputin and elder gods.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited August 2010
    The War on Frogs was, from the start, pretty obviously unimportant. A series of one-shots that took place somewhere during other events, and I seem to recall they weren't even made by the regulars, so you'd get things like Roger doing some weird, steely monologue to himself for twenty pages about how badass he is. I never saw there being a point and rightly ignored it, and I suspect that's largely how it will be treated when this is all in trade somewhere in twenty years.

Got the new BPRD Hell On Earth yesterday, and it's looking like a return to form. There've been arcs that have had the important or interesting elements really displaced, but it's clear from the get-go we're getting a solid story with lots of elements they want to address and an array of plot points from the Universal Machine, Garden of Souls and Killing Ground in the mix.

Does anyone else not like/trust Panya?

Linespider5 on
    edited August 2010
    It'll be nice to finally have some closure on Ben Daimio if the later issue previews are truthful. Poor guy. I hope he's able to atone in a meaninful way, not his fault for the condition he's in.

Panya... I think has her own agenda. If she turns out to be an atagonist, she'll probably be a sympathetic one.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited August 2010
    Daimio was, I thought, a great support character, particularly how he ended up bonding with Abe in Garden of Souls. I really wanted him to get more accepted into the group. Things have gotten more than a little fractured, and it was devolving into a 'guys vs girls' thing, which I thought was oversimplifying the dynamics. Somehow in the middle of it Panya came in and, being so damn old, took on this weird authority figure role almost immediately and everyone was kind of in awe of her. At least that's what I got out of it.

For being twice-cursed and all, I hope Daimio is somehow retrievable from his circumstances.

Linespider5 on
    edited August 2010
    I'm excited to read Hellboy In Mexico, but sadly I don't have a comic shop near me. :( *Sigh* that's the downside of waiting for trades.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hellboy in Mexico fighting the Chupacabra?

Every monster hunter has to fight the Chupacabra when they go to mexico. It's tradition. Just once, I'd like to see a story where the chupacabra is partying it up in cancun, or visiting the louvre or something, and he has to interrupt his vacation to fight some jackoff.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2010
    Mexican vampires and demons I believe.

HB teams up with luchadores to flying elbow them into submission.

No I am not making this up.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited August 2010
    The funny thing is that Hellboy doesn't fight the chupacabra.

Centipede Damascus on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey this looks familiar :P

so darkness calls wound up ending pretty sweet and the first issue of this next series was good too.

I'm hoping they do more lobster johnson stuff, miss the guy, just got a tattoo of his logo a while ago.

Zephos on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every single time I hear anyone talk about the plot of Hellboy/BPRD I am possessed of an overwhelming urge to go and buy every single thing.

TheOtherHorseman on
    edited August 2010
    Well why don't you?

I just finished collecting Hellboy up to the latest trade, now I'm working on BPRD.

Centipede Damascus on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every single time I hear anyone talk about the plot of Hellboy/BPRD I am possessed of an overwhelming urge to go and buy every single thing.

Damnit now i'm stuck too!

initiatefailure on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had em all, and sold em a couple years ago.

I really wish I hadn't done that after reading the most recent trade on loan from the local library.

Fatboy Roberts on
    edited August 2010
    The only problem with the Hellboy verse is that it's slow coming out, but that's because Mike has total control over the process. It's also the reason we get gold plated awesome instead of tinfoil wrapped shit.

With the end of "The Storm and The Fury," the HB saga is about 2/3rds done, at least in theory.

manwiththemachinegun on