As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MAGFest's Jamspace returns for PAX PRIME

NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
So you might remember that at PAX East, MAGFest hosted a jamspace. It went pretty awesome, and so we're back to do it again at pax prime! Copypasta'd details (with new videos) below.

3vTQRl.jpg
What is Jamspace?
Jamspace is an area where anyone who has any idea how to play an instrument is invited to come up and play music, and anyone who doesn't is invited to watch. The main focus is usually video game music, so you're guaranteed to hear classic stuff that you know and love all weekend.

What equipment is provided?
Almost everything you could ever need. We provide the lighting, amps, guitars, basses, pianos, and drums, and then you provide the talent. You're welcome to bring your own instrument as well. We don't have any violins or saxophones or the like, so when someone brings one of those in, it always gives an unexpectedly awesome result.

Who's allowed to play?
Anyone. Can you play some stuff on the piano? Go ahead. Do you have a backing track that you'd like to play guitar over? Be our guest. Are you in a full band that wants to play a mini set? The stage is yours. Do you want to meet other musicians and jam with them? Jam away.

This can't possibly end with good results...
You'd be surprised! MAGFest has had a Jamspace at itself for the past 3 years, and provided a jamspace for other conventions as well, including PAX East. Musicians always seem to find a way to come out of the woodwork and entertain everyone. Here are some great examples:

PAX East attendees jammin out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ihDKEknMg
The protomen putting on an impromptu concert - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VevSaZO1YSU
Zen Albatross showing off his chiptunes- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujTTZW9MBj0
5pm on sunday, and people were still playing zelda - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Z5v1ygNoU

Holy shit that's awesome
Yeah it is. Jamspace will be going the whole weekend at PAX , so make sure to stop by and enjoy (or make!) some music.

The Jamspace at PAX is provided by MAGFest, which is a video game music festival hosted just outside Washington, DC. The 9th annual MAGfest will be January 13-16, 2011.

NickTheNewbie on

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    w00t! I look forward to you guys bringing the noise again!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looks like, in addition to everything else I'm schlepping to Seattle, I'll be schlepping my ukelele.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looks like I'll need to start practicing my trumpet to get my lip back.

mostlyharmless on
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I could kiss you right now. Seeing as how I'm moving and my debut chiprock album came out, I'll pretty much have my set up with me. Guitar rig 3 ftw

the problem is finding time to actually go jam

JonnyNero on
  • feboeefeboee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This was definitely one of the greatest events I stumbled upon at PAX East. My personal goal for Prime is to get a good amount of Chrono Trigger music memorized for the event!

Also, jamming with two trumpets would be incredible mostlyharmless! I hope you're able to practice!

feboee on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MarySue wrote: »
    Looks like, in addition to everything else I'm schlepping to Seattle, I'll be schlepping my ukelele.

=O

No way!

What brand? Are you any good? If I bring mine can you give me some tips/pointer?

:mrgreen:

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is going to be sweet.

I am bringing my cello, but I'm pretty bad--if you have suggestions for things I should learn before PAX, please tell me ASAP so I can practice. So far I mostly play Jonathan Coulton songs.

Also bringing my (cheap) uke, perhaps we could get a ukulele army going?

chicazul on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    chicazul wrote: »
    This is going to be sweet.

I am bringing my cello, but I'm pretty bad--if you have suggestions for things I should learn before PAX, please tell me ASAP so I can practice. So far I mostly play Jonathan Coulton songs.

Also bringing my (cheap) uke, perhaps we could get a ukulele army going?

Binary1230 is the mag promo army's resident piano wiz, and he listed a bunch he can play in the pax east thread (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=107382&page=2)

Pick up some of that stuff, and you should be golden.

NickTheNewbie on
  • AmasonKAmasonK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is one hell of an idea. Hopefully quite a few people turn out to play because I have no musical skill...I can clap loudly though.

AmasonK on
    "Women are like Voltron, the more you hook up...the better it gets." -- Tucker RvB
    edited May 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    MarySue wrote: »

=O

No way!

What brand? Are you any good? If I bring mine can you give me some tips/pointer?

:mrgreen:

Brand? Uhm, the left by another roommate when they moved out suddenly, owing three months back rent brand.

Any good? I've got three months to get adequate... I plan on letting my classically trained singing voice carry the show.

Ukelele Army-- Yep. I think this needs to happen.

Tips/pointers? If I find any, I'll let you know.

MarySue on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The_Reflection on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I come bearing vocals, if you'll have me (need to find a band!!). Also, a mean cowbell!

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
    edited May 2010
    feboee wrote: »
    This was definitely one of the greatest events I stumbled upon at PAX East. My personal goal for Prime is to get a good amount of Chrono Trigger music memorized for the event!

Also, jamming with two trumpets would be incredible mostlyharmless! I hope you're able to practice!

Feboee was one of the best things to happen to pax east. You all would be wise to try to jam with her.

NickTheNewbie on
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now, if only I could play any instruments.
    Do black metal vocals count?

That's the only thing I can do, and I doubt anyone needs a crappy, teenage metal vocalist in their band >.>

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • feboeefeboee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Feboee was one of the best things to happen to pax east. You all would be wise to try to jam with her.

This just made my day and possibly week. Thank you! I will be practicing hard for PAX Prime to live up to these expectations. =D

feboee on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh dear... The Community DVD's workload just increased...

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Oh dear... The Community DVD's workload just increased...

At least its not a 5th Satellite Theatre...

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think that would cause Heels to explode.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of satellite theatres, any word yet on where Jamspace will be set up? I am curious how far it will be from all the other stuff I want to do.

chicazul on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We still have months before the PAX map typically goes live, things are in a state of flux until about July.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    edited May 2010
    @heels - I figured, but one can always hope! I have learned from prior years that the forum usually knows things ages before anything goes up on the PAX site.

chicazul on
    edited July 2010
    Just to give you guys a quick update, we're working on bringing in some chiptune acts and a few more surprises to jamspace. Not coming to the jamspace at PAX Prime will be the biggest mistake you will ever make in your entire life.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited July 2010
    feboee wrote: »

This just made my day and possibly week. Thank you! I will be practicing hard for PAX Prime to live up to these expectations. =D

Damn, now I really need to get my lip back so I can keep up.

mostlyharmless on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To bassoon or not to bassoon... that is the question

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, just found out that the guy on the far left on keyboard in the first video is one of my buddies from Boston who I met up with at PAX East. Small world!

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • CHEESUSCHEESUS Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll def bring my horn to this. Any Jazz men coming down? We could get a sick jam going!

CHEESUS on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I will totally be hanging out around the Jamspace. (drummer)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2010
    CHEESUS wrote: »
    I'll def bring my horn to this. Any Jazz men coming down? We could get a sick jam going!

Jazz man right here

mostlyharmless on
  • CHEESUSCHEESUS Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    sweet, what do you play?

CHEESUS on
    edited July 2010
    Trumpet, just need to get my lip back, and I'll bring the noise

mostlyharmless on
  • ShigTheNewtShigTheNewt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any further ideas on a PAX ukulele army? If so I would love to enlist. I've been playing for 6 or 7 years, but I don't know any video game music. I have a few song books I could bring though. I'm sure there's loads of tabs out there that can be easily downloaded and I will likely attempt to learn something before PAX just because.

Uke till you puke!

ShigTheNewt on
    edited July 2010
    I am in favour of a ukulele army meetup.

Ukulele Hunt has a few game tabs, and I'm sure there's more out there somewhere.

chicazul on
    edited July 2010
    Fear the ukulele army, for lo, we are mighty!

Um, yeah, so--- ukers should meet up and stuff. But that's about all I have as for ideas (my first PAX, you see). I'm thinking maybe wait until the schedule comes out and pick a time that's not during like, Mike and Jerry's panels or something.

MarySue on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If anyone has an upright bass or a cello, and could bring it, Im down to jam for a while.

(Cheesus/Mostly Harmless if you have one or have someone with one that can bring it, or if someone else supplies an upright bass, Im down to take it out for a walk)

ZeroHourHero on
  • ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome! You guys killed it at East and I'm glad you're able to share the awesome tunes with Prime this year. Hopefully I'll be stationed next door again so I can enjoy the tunes all weekend long. :)

ravemonger on
    edited July 2010
    With about a month and a half out, do you guys have any requests for activities you'd like to see in jamspace besides the usual concerts and open jam time?

NickTheNewbie on
    edited July 2010
    With about a month and a half out, do you guys have any requests for activities you'd like to see in jamspace besides the usual concerts and open jam time?

Something like a gaming version of Def Poetry Jam.

Thats right...
    POEMS

About games.

Im thinking some night about an hour or two before the concerts start.

ZeroHourHero on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Thats right...
    POEMS

About games.

That would be AWESOME.

I have the musical talent of a rock but I'm quite skilled with a pen and I'm sure I'm not alone.

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited July 2010

Thats right...
    POEMS

About games.

That would be AWESOME.

I have the musical talent of a rock but I'm quite skilled with a pen and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I like to write and have notebooks filled with it and would be down to do it.

If a band wants to play something mellow and soft in the background it would be welcome.

ZeroHourHero on
    edited July 2010
    So is this going to be like the beginning of so I married an ax murderer, except it'll be nerd poetry recited over a smooth jazz rendition of napalm man's theme from mega man 5 in the background?

NickTheNewbie on
This discussion has been closed.