As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PHALLA] Avatar: The Last Phallbender - Mafia Victory

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    Plus metal bending would be like Magneto, possibly gruesome if an extremely powerful metal bender could manipulate metal in the blood stream O_O

As opposed to just bending the blood itself? :P
    Or possibly encase himself in metal.

Actually, I take it back. Yeah, metalbending would be silly!
    67c67484753b7180401334c368c5397e.jpg

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    kime wrote: »
    Shushnik wrote: »
    One of the things that always puzzled me about Avatar is why, in a setting that so heavily borrows from chinese history, mythology, and martial arts, would they depend on western concept of elements?

Air is not an element in the classic chinese genre. Fire, earth, wood, metal, and water are the five elements.
    Because it doesn't work as well thematically? Fire, earth, water, and air all have distinctive styles in the show. Wood and metal wouldn't add any variety really (plus they'd take away from the awesomeness of Toph :P), and then you'd miss out on air, which is rather distinctive.

Just because they borrow from Asian elements and whatnot doesn't mean they need everything. Pick what makes the show the best!

Also could you imagine wood bending or metal bending?

It could lend itself pretty well to horror. Vines and stakes for wood benders. Tons of impalement and ensnaring.

Plus metal bending would be like Magneto, possibly gruesome if an extremely powerful metal bender could manipulate metal in the blood stream O_O

Or possibly encase himself in metal.

They already bent vines. And metal.

So uhh.... you know, having an entire discipline to them seems silly.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Earth Bending I take it? I've watched the show on and off.
    there was some in the concentration camp right? manipulating the metal on the ship or whatever they were on

I'm guessing they didn't go the whole 9 yards and have someone pull an Edward Elric or did they?

Capfalcon wrote: »

Actually, I take it back. Yeah, metalbending would be silly!

Sarcasm Im guessing because of the Zhao picture? I think it would mainly be silly just with the intro if instead of Air , Earth, Fire, and Water. They had Metal, Earth, Fire and Water. If it was a steampunk world it might work a tad better? But I would think Earth (under that title) wouldn't have a place in a steampunk themed Avatar.

In practice it isn't bad (e.g the above example, and also if you consider the likes of Magneto and Elric), just thematically it doesn't seem to fit. At least using the word Metal.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Earth Bending I take it? I've watched the show on and off.
    there was some in the concentration camp right? manipulating the metal on the ship or whatever they were on

I'm guessing they didn't go the whole 9 yards and have someone pull an Edward Elric or did they?

Dunno what you mean by Edward Elric. I read FMA, but it comes out so far apart I forget most of what's happened :(.

wrt Avatar though, season 2 mild spoiler:
    In some swamp, the group met a water bender who used the water in vines to make himself into this giant viney tentacle monster thing.

Season 3 spoiler:
    Toph, being the most powerful Earthbender ever, learns metal bending by being able to sense the remnants of the earth in impure metal or whatnot. She never gets very intricate with it, but then again, Toph has always been more of a RAWR PEW PEW! sort of person :P.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh good, looks like you got enough signups. I'm not a phalla fan, but I'd hate to see an Avatar phalla fail to meet expectations.
    I feel as though I'll be extremely alienated in this, as it is my first phalla ever and I don't know anything about Avatar anyway, but er...
    This needs to be remedied. ASAP
    Sir Fabulous, there's an easy fix for this. It's called Netflix.
    If you have a subscription with Watch Instantly (are there any that don't anymore?) I think the first season is still up on there. For a while you used to also be able to watch almost every episode on the Nickelodeon site as well, though the quality wasn't as good and their player is really, really shitty.

All right, I should probably watch this and get at least some backstory before the game starts.

Well, the first couple sentences of the OP explain quite a bit, but really here's what you need to know (season 1 and 2 spoilers):
    It's an asian-themed universe divided into four peoples: The Air Nomads, who whiz around on flying creatures called sky bisons, The Water Tribes, who live on the poles and worship the Moon, the Earth Kingdom, which dominates the land as a tough and resilient people. Then there's the Fire Nation, who value honor and willpower. Each country has people who are especially gifted and are capable of "bending" their respective elements, i.e. they can control that element. To maintain the peace between these peoples, the spirits created a being known as the Avatar, who could learn to control all four elements (among other powers) and would be eternally reincarnated.

100 years ago,
    There was an event called Sozin's Comet, which granted the Firebenders nearly unlimited power. The Firelord, for whom the comet is named, used its power to launch an attempt at worldwide conquest. He knew that the new Avatar would be an Air Nomad, so he used the Comet's power to wipe out the Air Nomads. Unfortunately, Aang (the new Avatar) had just fled the Air Nomads after hearing that he was the new Avatar. He got caught in a massive storm and accidentally froze himself and his sky bison Appa into a giant block of ice.

3 years ago,
    The current Firelord is named Ozai, and he is Sozin's grandson. He has two children, Zuko (a boy) and Azula (a girl). Azula is a firebending prodigy he dotes on, and Zuko who is more kind-hearted whom he dislikes. Zuko speaks up in the middle of a war meeting, and is his father punishes him for his insolence. Ozai burns Zuko's left eye and exiles him, with the condition that he can only return once he's found the Avatar. His uncle, the former Fire Nation general Iroh, goes with him.

3 months ago,
    Two members of the Southern Water Tribe (Sokka, the teenage male in charge of defending the tribe while all the men are away fighting the Fire Nation) and his sister Katara (The tribe's sole remaining Waterbender) accidentally break him out of the block of ice. Zuko, who has been hunting around the South Pole for the Avatar, spots him and manages to capture Aang. Katara and Sokka break him out, and decide to go to the North Pole so that Aang and Katara can learn Waterbending from the Masters there.

A few weeks ago,
    Aang and Katara have mastered Waterbending, but now Aang needs an Earthbending teacher. They stumble upon a small blind girl named Toph in an Earthbending competition who obliterates the competition. They recruit her to teach Aang and she complies, although her abrasive personality occasionally wears on Katara. Zuko has been wandering the Earth Kindgom trying to find himself after failing to capture Aang at the North Pole, and he and Iroh have both been declared traitors to the Fire Nation by Ozai. Azula is sent to capture both them and the Avatar.

Yesterday,
    All paths have led to Ba Sing Se, the largest city in the Earth Kingdom and the last bastion of the Earth Kingdom against the Fire Nation's attacks. Zuko and Iroh are there as refugees, the Gaang (Aang, Sokka, Katara, Toph) are there to help the Earth Kingdom arrange a counter attack. Azula and her allies Mai and Tai Lee are planning to sneak into the city and capture it for the Fire Nation.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    An addition:
    according to the OP, the.... "Gaang" (which hurts to say :P) just left Ba Sing Se, so they probably won't be here?

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarcasm Im guessing because of the Zhao picture? I think it would mainly be silly just with the intro if instead of Air , Earth, Fire, and Water. They had Metal, Earth, Fire and Water. If it was a steampunk world it might work a tad better? But I would think Earth (under that title) wouldn't have a place in a steampunk themed Avatar.

In practice it isn't bad (e.g the above example, and also if you consider the likes of Magneto and Elric), just thematically it doesn't seem to fit. At least using the word Metal.

Eh, they did it well in the show. Metalbending is a subset of earthbending. It's incredibly difficult, and it's something that only one person managed. Not even other masters were able to replicate it (but they all had their own tricks.)

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

if its full Reserve

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reserve up

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sign Ups closed. Awaiting a PM back, but role PMs will start going out shortly. As usual, do not start discussing the game until Day 0 Narration has been posted.

Delmain on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reserve Up School is finally over after a good solid year and I can play Phalla again, I'll be miserable if I have to miss this though...

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Day 0

The sun is setting upon the grand city of Ba Sing Se. Those in the inner city clamor to prepare for the offensive against the Fire Nation that is to take place on the Day of Black Sun. The Avatar and his companions left the city days ago but remain in close communication. The citizens of Ba Sing Se are, as always, unaware of the war outside the walls. The Dai Li take great pains to make sure this is a continuing truth inside the city. Soon however, the city will no longer be peaceful.

This is because the Fire Princess Azula has learned of the Earth Kingdom's plans and intends to take over the city before the attack ever begins. Starting at the highest level of government, the Earth King himself, Azula begins her conquest. She quickly takes care of the king and his bear, but this breaks the communication between him and the Avatar.

The Avatar will soon return. It is only a matter of whether or not he can stop Azula's invasion before the city of Ba Sing Se falls.

Day 1 has now begun. Day 1 will end tomorrow at 8PM EDT, a little over 22 hours from now.

Delmain on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why.....

earth

air

fire

water

heart?

edit:: dammit del

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm right here. Don't fret! The Heartbender cometh!

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tempted as I am to vote Dunadan out, I'll stick to my favourite grudge Alegis.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am here.

Ready.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I vote kime.

I forget which Phalla I started grudging him in, but really it doesn't matter.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why.....

earth

air

fire

water

heart?

edit:: dammit del

Wrong generation.

Also, Dunadan, because not even a jailing and a ban can stop a grudge.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tempted as I am to vote Dunadan out, I'll stick to my favourite grudge Alegis.

Whatever grudge you may have had I'm sure it's balanced out by your last.fm knife massacre.

Bastard.

Rysk and gumps on the other hand, yeah I deserve their votes.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Terrendos because he posted.

Malkor on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes, Final, I know i'm showing my age.

don't rub it in.

jerk

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm a knife, knifing around...

cutcutcutcutcut

Also I'm definitely not up on the source material. Is it just the Fire guys who are evil or are the other factions hostile as well?

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Exarch wrote: »

cutcutcutcutcut

Also I'm definitely not up on the source material. Is it just the Fire guys who are evil or are the other factions hostile as well?

It's made clear (especially in the 3rd season) that the Fire Nation are far from evil. They've just got a couple of crazy people in charge and a century of propaganda telling them they're the best.

Also the Earth Kingdom has its share of hostility (AKA the Dai Lee), including some jerk a couple centuries back called Chin the Conqueror, who was basically Earth Kingdom Ozai. Not much hostility amongst the others though.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Um.

what

looke like my vote has just been justified.

8-)

Malkor on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well it's not like I can vote against someone who wronged me in games past...

So I guess I'll let the RNG do it for me!
    Aaaaaand the winner is... Demurist

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I vote kime.

I forget which Phalla I started grudging him in, but really it doesn't matter.

Muahahahahaha! My grudges know no bounds!
    Exarch wrote: »

cutcutcutcutcut

Assuming Aang & Co. are not in the game, you want to look out for the Dai Li and all Fire Nation members, particularly Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai. There is also Long Feng, the leader of the Dai Li. Note that the Dai Li and Long Feng are Earth Kingdom members, not Fire Nation. That should be all the baddies though.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When are AoR and Duna gonna make up? They have so much in common :P

Who is playing and why should I vote for them? Work hard to earn my vote!

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I suspect that Long Feng and the Dai Lee would be a neutral group of masoned people. If Long Feng gets killed, maybe the Dai Lee join Azula?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zandracon is evil so often....So often.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    romanqwerty

It has to be done

Phyphor on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oooh me me ! Pick me!

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CoreGoonCoreGoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Day 1 and it's time for a !FrostMist vote.

Grudges are very handy for day 1 votes.

CoreGoon on
  • Options
    beachnikbeachnik Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So many grudges...

Must remain inconspicuous....

...look! A flying bison! *points*

beachnik on
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Terrendos! because he has an evil sounding name. And he tried to answer an innocent question honestly!

Ultarune on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oooh me me ! Pick me!

DELPH

Katara's a nice girl, but she's not paralyzingly cute! Your vote defense is foiled.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    romanqwerty

It has to be done

:(

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Exarch!

nomn omn nom.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    huh..

not playing for a few games has left me....

with no grudges.

ohno

wait.

!Toxic

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    kime because I notice he likes it when you vote for him most of the time.

daniant on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zandracon is evil so often....So often.

This has only been happening for the more recent phalla. I am part of the silent generation of phallateers! Not quite an old player, yeeet. Back in the daay I was a perma villager. Now...

Zandracon on