As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Avengers Thread! 'Nuff Said

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grim Reaper!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulz7eTvsM4o

and that video is totally relevant on two levels because Grim Reaper and Wolverine.

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    I don't want to see my two favorite Marvel characters (Cap and Wonder Man) fight each other. This is going to be like my parent's divorce all over again.

They fought in Wonder Man's first appearance!

Yeah, and after he beat the crap out of all the Avengers, he sacrificed himself to save them like 2 pages later - that's another comic I paid way too much for. This looks like it will be a bigger villain turn for him than that was.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    So does Bucky have fake skin or something on his robot arm, or did Immonen get that wrong on the last page of New Avengers Finale? Because Immonen is a top dog and usually is on the ball when it comes to character designs.

TexiKen on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    So does Bucky have fake skin or something on his robot arm, or did Immonen get that wrong on the last page of New Avengers Finale? Because Immonen is a top dog and usually is on the ball when it comes to character designs.

New arm has fake skin yes

MastaP on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gift from fury, upgrade from cold war tech as he put it.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, Dark Avengers #16 has almost made up for the soul crushing disappointment that was Siege #4.

Can't believe the same guy wrote both.

Warcry on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why is Steve such an ass to Simon? He's pretty much right, at lot of the recent shit has been the fault of the Avengers.

Solar on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Warcry wrote: »
    So, Dark Avengers #16 has almost made up for the soul crushing disappointment that was Siege #4.

Can you spoil Dark avengers 16 for me?

Karl on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God that art is terrible. Can someone tell Romita that Steve Rogers is supposed to be a super-solider and not a sixteen-year-old blond kid? And that Simon isn't Morlun?

KyleWPeterson on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    Warcry wrote: »

Can you spoil Dark avengers 16 for me?
    Osborn is taken away, placed on a level of the Raft by himself. Talks to the Goblin about all the things that are going to destroy the world like Doom, Mutants, the Punisher killing the wrong person, etc, etc and that he genuinely wanted to stop these things happening if the Goblin hadn't gotten in teh way. He asks the Goblin to leave but he says he can't, theyre stuck together down there for a long time.

The Dark Avengers are all arrested except for Wolverine who wasn't at the main battle, he kills a few soldiers and escapes in an army car.

Hand is recruited by Cap following the same hiring process that put himself, Stark and Osborn in charge.

Basically it emphasises the retardation of Siege in that Osborn was holding it together and the thing that pretend to be Osborn in Siege acts nothing like Osborn or the Goblin, just a shitty, shitty plot-convenience to get onto the main fight which itself is a plot convenience for everyone to have a big masturbation fest over the tattered papers of the SHRA.

DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Avengers Initiative question.

Who's Karl?

Robos A Go Go on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Avengers Initiative question.

Who's Karl?
    karl.jpg

LOST

Langly on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The more I think about it, the more I'd have just liked to have seen the Void just up and leave. I know it's a malevolent, impossibly powerful entity, but you could argue that the Void ended up like Loki, pretty much free to do whatever. It's not anyone should've been able to stop him. I don't know enough on the Void's motivations, but compared to what happened, why not just have the Void go off into space to do mean and evil things far away from earth for a while? Leave everybody in the ruins of Asgard having to deal with getting along with eachother. Then the Heroic Age. Then, sometime years down the line, have the Void return in 2015 or something as a true cosmic threat. Deal with him on a proper scale. Of course, he'd probably drown the earth in blood at that point, but...

Linespider5 on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mean Siege was pretty much a choose your own adventure book, but Bendis skipped through and choose the ending that concluded quick and easy. (Don't act like you've never done that, cmon these books really weren't that good)

cardboard delusions on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm curious as to Bendis's reasoning for what happened to the Sentry/Void...
    While I'm apparently in the minority here for enjoying the end of Siege, I am curious as to how exactly Thor took him out so easily.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    because he's the god of thunder

and rock and roll

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What should have happened, even though I hate her, is the Scarlet Witch should have shown up and made the Void simply cease to be. She's coming back for the Young Avengers story, and she was popping up (well, Loki was) in the MA books. These events could have tied together a little more tightly.

There really was very little as far as magic goes in the end, here. For being an all powerful being, he was really taken down like a bitch. A pretty, long blonde haired bitch. Siege could have gone for 5 issues, stretched the fight out, and added some mystical crap in there to help take him out.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited May 2010
    because he's the god of thunder

and rock and roll

But was he raised by the demons? And trained to reign as the one (one one)?

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    Maybe there was something Bendis wanted to add but had to cut for length? Here's my best theory...
    Somehow Bob, for just a moment, was able to negate his molecule powers and that's how Thor took him out. Of course that should really have been shown in the comic if that's the case. I guess regular suicide doesn't work for Bob but "Suicide by cop" does.

wirehead26 on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Maybe there was something Bendis wanted to add but had to cut for length? Here's my best theory...
    Somehow Bob, for just a moment, was able to negate his molecule powers and that's how Thor took him out. Of course that should really have been shown in the comic if that's the case. I guess regular suicide doesn't work for Bob but "Suicide by cop" does.

I like that theory. But I keep getting this vibe that writers look at situations like Siege and go "Okay, Thor has a movie coming out soon, we have to make him badass in the comics. Lets have him oneshot a super powerful God^10 baddy to do that."

Having Scarlett Witch show up and just "wish" away Void would only happen if she had a movie deal.

*Wants to see a Power Scale from 1-10 created and enforced for Marvel&DC heroes/villians that is enforced*

Caveman Paws on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I like that theory. But I keep getting this vibe that writers look at situations like Siege and go "Okay, Thor has a movie coming out soon, we have to make him badass in the comics. Lets have him oneshot a super powerful God^10 baddy to do that."

Having Scarlett Witch show up and just "wish" away Void would only happen if she had a movie deal.

*Wants to see a Power Scale from 1-10 created and enforced for Marvel&DC heroes/villians that is enforced*

I was thinking more like she shows up and he goes after her, and she gets to make a nice little speech about doing harm to the ones who love you (like she did when she went nuts, and like he was doing at the end of Siege), all the while making him vanish, piece by piece. That way, she gets to redeem herself in a small way. Then Phobos shows up for his revenge, and it's revealed that the Void's worst fear is not to exist at all, and Wanda makes it so.

That's what I would have done.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I was thinking more like she shows up and he goes after her, and she gets to make a nice little speech about doing harm to the ones who love you (like she did when she went nuts, and like he was doing at the end of Siege), all the while making him vanish, piece by piece. That way, she gets to redeem herself in a small way. Then Phobos shows up for his revenge, and it's revealed that the Void's worst fear is not to exist at all, and Wanda makes it so.

That's what I would have done.

I would have had 'Millar run' Doom show up and simply crush the Void in an epic battle of time and space manipulation. Then he returns to Latveria to continue banging euro bitches.

Warcry on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish the
    Angel of Death aspect had been explained, what with the Moses scene, or maybe it was and I missed it.

Weaver on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the Void's worst fear is not to exist at all

The worst part is that this was already revealed to be one of the Void's two biggest fears!

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What should have happened, even though I hate her, is the Scarlet Witch should have shown up and made the Void simply cease to be.
    Bendis actually kind of did this exact scene in Powers. Really great scene actually.

My ideal end for Siege would have had Phobos put the fear-whammy on the Void, bringing out his greatest fear, which everyone thinks is going to be the Sentry. Then the dust clears and it's just Bob Reynolds standing there in his pajama pants and slippers, looking super pissed off. Then there's a massive throw-down and patented comic book explosion©, apparently annihilating both Bob and the Void, leaving all the heroes standing around saddened and flabbergasted.

Cut to a beach, where Bob and Lindy are walking hand-in-hand, their corgi running circles around them. Bob looks at Lindy, Lindy at Bob. The back of his head facing the reader, she looks surprised for a moment, forebodingly starts to remark, "Bob, your eyes--" We see his face, Lindy finishes, "They're so blue!"

Bob laughs, diffusing the sense of dread, and remarks, "Come on, let's go home."

The camera pulls back, showing Bob and Lindy walking towards a humble one-story cottage, the Sentry watchtower perched atop it.

DUN DUN DUN.

Munch on
    edited May 2010
    then we find out the sentry is just an autistic kid's snowglobe

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2010
    The Scarlet Witch's imaginary kids' snowglobe.

And they're actually inside Galactus' terrarium!

Munch on
    edited May 2010
    munch we need to send this shit to marvel asap and make the mad comic buxx

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Powers scene was awesome, that might be my favorite arc.

Langly on
    edited May 2010
    Is powers worth picking up? I like Bendis most of the time and heard it was good.

Solar on
    edited May 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Is powers worth picking up? I like Bendis most of the time and heard it was good.

It's pretty great - better than the events he's written for Marvel.

Hensler on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Powers is definetly good. I think Siege is one of Bendis's few missteps.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited May 2010
    It's pretty good, much better than a lot of stuff out there.

My only complaint is that a lot of the arcs just sort of end, and are never followed up on. Most of the time the bad guy is caught, not really due to the work of the protagonists, but just because it's necessary for the story to end.

But Oeming's art, the rapid-fire dialogue, and characters make it worth it.

Munch on
    edited May 2010
    If you liked Bendis' pre-Avengers work (like Daredevil, Alias, and USM) I think you'll enjoy it.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited May 2010
    Sounds pretty good, I'll pick up a trade and see how it goes.

Solar on
    edited May 2010
    No, buy the hardcovers. I demand it!

KyleWPeterson on
    edited May 2010
    You don't get to make demands of me!

Though I may indeed get the first hardcover if it's saves me money overall.

Solar on
    edited May 2010
    I think all 3 hardcovers retail for 30 and of course that would be cheaper on Amazon or instocktrades. It's a real good deal honestly and a proper format for the first "season" of Powers.

wirehead26 on
    edited May 2010
    I think all 3 hardcovers retail for 30 and of course that would be cheaper on Amazon or instocktrades. It's a real good deal honestly and a proper format for the first "season" of Powers.

Instocktrades? Just Googled it, and this looks a really good site.

Hensler on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    The Powers scene was awesome, that might be my favorite arc.

Which arc was this exactly?

[EDIT] By the way, I think Bendis put the first few arcs online for free. Google Daily Powers.

TeaSpoon on