As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time can be rewritten. So can thread titles.

ButlerButler 89 episodes or bustRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Social Entropy++
Doctor Who!

The KLF wrote a song about it

(They also set fire to 1 million pounds cash but that's another story)

The Doctor!

That's the name of the character. Only the show is called Doctor Who. People make that mistake a lot, sometimes even the people who make the show! Don't be one of those people!

He's been played by eleven guys now

Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg

twelve if you count Peter Cushing

51RAEJDCCZL.jpg

(Hint: We do not count Peter Cushing)

The Doctor travels through time and space in his Mk. 40 TARDIS, righting wrongs and saving planets, not with guns or fists but with his brain!
smith-gun.jpg
Well...
st--4h39.jpg
Most of the time, anyway.

He is invariably accompanied by an able assistant, someone with an open mind (though not too open) who can think on their feet and rein him in when he's about to go too far. (Fatties and uggos need not apply.)

Doctor Who is currently in its 31st season, or fifth if you count from the 2005 reboot (and aren't a total anorak). Matt Smith is doing a bang-up job as the Eleventh Doctor, Karen Gillian is a right fit assistant as Amy Pond, and I'm going to bed because it's nearly 2:30am.

Butler on

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you know what I want

a new "The Five Doctors" kind of special

like, all the Doctors from the sixth to the eleventh getting together and having zany time adventures

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does combining the Dr. Who theme with Gary Glitter really count as "writing a song"

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you know what I want

a new "The Five Doctors" kind of special

like, all the Doctors from the sixth to the eleventh getting together and having zany time adventures

Well 2013 will be the 50th year celebration......

I want it to happen so bad.

(Although Colin Baker has got faaaaaaaaaaat)

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So did Peter Davidson. but I have to give him props. he made a hot daughter.

I wonder if tennent is still seeing her...

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That KLF song is so bad

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That KLF song is so bad
    I'm pretty sure calling it the Doctor Who theme is worse than calling the Doctor "Doctor Who". Sometimes, I hate Australian radio so much.

Also, azith, you're beginning to turn into everyone I hate on Gallifrey Base. Stopitstopitstopit.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    To be fair, there is a lot of people worth hating on GB.

Mind you, the cosplay section is always good for a laugh.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You shut up about The Velvet Web. I post there.

(I would like to emphasise at this point that I don't cosplay - I'm merely a curious observer of fan fashions.)

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dude i post there as well, but you cannot say that the people that dress up don't look like the sillyest of geese.

EDIT: But then again i'm one of those weirdos who likes hearing about all the costume design choices and whatnot, so it's not like i'm Mr Cool of Badasstown.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Let's not beat around the bush. They look like the worst-dressed of geese. Have you seen the 'Tennant Riddler' thread? D:

Also, yeah, I love costume design in Who, too. Slight side-track: Eleven's feels like the first actual Doctor-y costume of the new series.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh my god that riddler costume, what the fuck was that all about? They guy was talking about it like he had made a Ten-ish riddler costume, and then you scroll down and bam, dude in cream chinos and a dark green blazer. Jesus.

And yeah, thats one of the big things i like about Matt Smith's doctor. He is back to dressing out of place and a bit weird. I mean, bowtie and braces? That's classic who right there.

I like to think that this doctor has no sense of his own coolness, unlike Ten, who swagger about with a "fucking hell i'm amazing" mindview. Eleven seems to just be doing his own thing, and when he does try to be cool, it backfires on him. "Who da man?" it's alot like the older doctors, who did there own thing and didn't give a shit what people thought about them.

But then again, if you go too far with that mindset you end up with Sixie.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know I think Six is the only Doctor I've never watched. Not that I deliberately avoided him, they just never had his episodes at the video store when I was growing up. His get-up is not so much a costume as it is an assault on clothing itself, and I've heard he's a bit of an arrogant shit, but I'm willing to give him a chance. Was he in any really good stories?

Butler on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    ZourtackZourtack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    You know I think Six is the only Doctor I've never watched. Not that I deliberately avoided him, they just never had his episodes at the video store when I was growing up. His get-up is not so much a costume as it is an assault on clothing itself, and I've heard he's a bit of an arrogant shit, but I'm willing to give him a chance. Was he in any really good stories?

He had some good episodes, and the Trial season, looking back on it, had some great moments, he's worth checking out, if only so see what your missing. When i was completing my "at least one story from each doctor" part of my dvd collection, i left his til last, and i was suprised at how....not bad it was.

Plus he has got the two Sil episodes, and he is probably the best villain from later classic who.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't think I've posted this before. It's pretty cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKlJyWZv9FA
    Also, Colin Baker: He had his ups and downs. A lot of downs. I must say, I really enjoyed The Trial of a Time Lord, more so than I expected. My biggest complaint about Six's entire era was how Peri's fate was kind of retconned at the end of Trial.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    MagtherydonMagtherydon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so is the replacement for "My Other Car is a TARDIS - Doctor Who Thread" ?

if so, i have soo many things to ask.

Magtherydon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Absolutely is.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    excellent. ill start from the 'new' trailer. what do the whisperings/mumblings towards the end of it say ?

Magtherydon on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I spent this week catching up on the new season.

My fears about Matt Smith were completely unfounded and Amy Pond is hilarious.

Although I feel like
    all of the "HEY FUTURE STUFF WILL HAPPEN CHORTLE CHORTLE" with River Song in The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone was a little on the heavy-handed and annoying side

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wait till you see the ending of vamps in Venice.

Not a good job of developing doctors persona. Not to mention the CGI has gone down the drain.

btw how do u make a spoiler box?

Magtherydon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    CGI's mostly because of the budget cuts, I think. Same reason the new Cybermen design was commissioned and created, but not realised.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A spoiler box starts [ *SPOILER ] (leave out the star)
    and the closing tag just has a / in place of the star. if that doesnt work try SPOILERS. or just highlight and click the little icon at the top all the way on the right, looks like a yellow explosion with ! in it.

The CGI has not been shit this season. Your obviously spoiled to more recent blockbuster movies. Go watch a few old episodes of Dr. Who and that will cure you.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yea i realise that, but it just doesnt seem very professional.
    looks terrible when compared to the spitfires in space scene.
    then again i havnt seem any of the doctor who episodes before eccleston.

i was only complaining abt CGI in vamps of venice ep.

Magtherydon on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's because space has simple lighting, it's a lot harder to light things when light is refracting and there are multiple light forces.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Prisoner Zero was a bit crap, particularly in the scene where Amy explores the perception filter-hidden room in her house.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    lets leave CGI for now, it was just one episode that seemed substandard. i just didnt like the ending of vamps in venice.
    he just stood there, if it were tennant he would have at least cried

Magtherydon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Basically... run

enough said

Magtherydon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Crying is for girls though.

The Doctor is a boy.

Blake T on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lets leave CGI for now, it was just one episode that seemed substandard. i just didnt like the ending of vamps in venice.

This is why I like Matt Smith. He doesn't let every single thing get to him.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I dont know why your complaining...I thought the fish people looked pretty cool. what the teeth? I didnt find any problem with it.

I dont see what less then million dollar cgi has to do with professionalism. The shows always been more about the story and the response to the threat, not the fancy cgi.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nah, the cgi at the end with the Doctor climbing up the top was pretty bad.

I'm just not going to complain about it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    fish ppl were great. it was the storm and the tower bit that i didnt like. then again it could have been the crappy quality of the zshare file or the fact that i watched all the episodes from "Victory of the Daleks" to "The Vampires of Venice" in a row.

so any idea what the whisperings in the trailer for this season say?

Magtherydon on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well I guess they would have to allocate the budget in accordance with which scenes needed it the most

Frankly I'm willing to let sub-par CGI slide in the most recent ep if it allowed Spitfires in goddamn space to be as epic as it was.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm not entirely sure why that would've been a good thing. I also can't think of an example where Ten cried in a situation like this. Unless you're going into that 'Tennant was constantly overemotional' meme.

He wasn't constantly overemotional. He just was a lot, and that was mostly because of the whole 'lonely god' slant the writers had put to his Doctor. His characterisation necessitated that kind of emotional 'involvement', whereas Eleven, like One and Six, has a relatively detached personality.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hey seem to be trading off top notch CGI with quantity of CGI

And I'm alright with this

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know, I had never watched Scream of the Shalka before but I just started doing so

I dig this Doctor's design but not his voice so much

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gumpy wrote: »
    hey seem to be trading off top notch CGI with quantity of CGI

And I'm alright with this

fie on you

the more CGI we get, the less cardboard sets and quarries and rubber penis monsters

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    didnt know abt doctors 1,6.

if the fish lady wanted doctors help she should have offered some fish dicks and custard

Magtherydon on
  • Options
    <:__)~<:__)~ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so...
    The smell in venice these days must be the rotting corpses of 10,000 fish brothers

<:__)~ on
This discussion has been closed.