As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lord of Ultima: Farmville with Dragons! … and bacon

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I made the mistake of grabbing a castle, and now some extremely high level dude keeps hitting me and demolishing my forces. So I'm probably going to roll another account or something.

Can you demolish the castle?

Bigity on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is there any way to straight up abandon a city?

I tried building a castle in the town I made on a different server but decided I didn't care but for some reason it didn't build and the town is still just sitting there.

I see "lawless" towns all over the map; how does this work?

EDIT: Oh, is see about inactivity and lawless.

I wonder if it's per server inactive. I'll just leave this town alone and maybe it'll just disappear on its own.

In the meantime I'm destroying all the buildings and downgrading the town hall to level 1 so this dude who has been farming me for resources can't.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got lucky the alliance I'm in has treaties with all the other major alliances on my continent, so no one has been foolish enough to attack me or anyone else in our alliance.

Even if they did, I have enough hideouts to save most if not all of my resources so all they could do is kill my army (no castle).

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think i'm just going to keep my city at level one with no resource gathering and then build a hideout to protect up to 3000 resources to be a thorn in this dudes side.

EDIT: it's doing that sync shit where buildings take way longer than they should to build and timers keep resetting.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I tried building a castle in the town I made on a different server but decided I didn't care but for some reason it didn't build and the town is still just sitting there.

I wonder if it's per server inactive. I'll just leave this town alone and maybe it'll just disappear on its own.

In the meantime I'm destroying all the buildings and downgrading the town hall to level 1 so this dude who has been farming me for resources can't.

Seriously, hideouts. I know you said you were going to build one, but if you have enough to cover your max resources, then they get nothing for plundering you. Some guy had been farming me, so I built enough hideouts for 100k of each, I had about 60k, he attacked, didn't get a thing except a bunch of dead attackers. level 8 or so with three forests covers like 27k of each, so it takes maybe two of those to be set for pretty much anything.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The recent patch made it possible to abandon cities, as long as you own at least two. Click on the city's town hall and then scroll to the bottom to see the option.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't even care about this city, it's on server 5 and I played on it for all of 10 minutes.

I just don't like it on my list when I log on and in my absence dude has farmed a ton of resources from my abandoned city.

I just don't like some dude getting a free ride because I'm an ass is why I destroyed all my buildings and downgraded my town hall to 1. But you can't stop the 300 wood/hr is why I wanted to build a hideout just to block the base 3k resources you can store so he has to go elsewhere for his free resources.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So yeah, my town on Continent 52 got raped and taken. I'm now on continent 14. Wooo.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How big was your town, and how big was the attacker's army?

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think my score was around 1400 and his was more than double.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think my score was around 1400 and his was more than double.

This is exactly why I am waiting to build a castle until I have a few cities.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    At least.

When I saw dude farming my abandoned city on server 5 with five thousand berserkers; I knew I'd just be pretty much never building a castle.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At least.

When I saw dude farming my abandoned city on server 5 with five thousand berserkers; I knew I'd just be pretty much never building a castle.

That's a lot of zerkers.

How many Barracks do you need for that many? Sheesh.

And I'm on World 7, and there's only three guys with 2 cities.

I can see it getting kind of dull raiding dungeons over and over again, so building a castle is something to be done eventually.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Before I was kicked off I saw at least 2 guys on World 3/Continent 52 that had 4 cities. Freaking crazy.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Having multiple cities is what allows those players to amass those gigantic armies in the first place. They've been funneling resources from non-castled resource-producing cities into castled troop-producing cities. Castles boost army limits based on percentages, so they have a stronger effect when in towns with primarily barracks. The upper limits are crazy, upwards of 100k or more of just about anything. Non-castled towns can still match them defensively by amassing City Guards, but still. D:

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Eh, I'm about to get my 4th city. It's really pretty easy once you get the ball rolling.

Plus the 500 diamonds from that code helped a lot :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eh, I'm about to get my 4th city. It's really pretty easy once you get the ball rolling.

I must have just missed the diamonds. I saw the code when I started, but it was already invalid :( .

And two guys on World 7 are up to 3 cities now, and a whole bunch are at 2. They are almost all in the same guild though. So I imagine there's more than a little bit of resource "feeding" going on.

A non-Castled town sending resources to a Castled town should open it for attack or something.

Selner on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    How feasible is it to just build two cities that are all resource cities and then a third for kicking ass?

Also I am pretty much just building all my stuff in the inner wall and clearing everything out, surrounding resource buildings in cottages and refineries/workshops/etc is this the best way to go or is it better to try and use the forests and stones?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Selner wrote: »

I must have just missed the diamonds. I saw the code when I started, but it was already invalid :( .

And two guys on World 7 are up to 3 cities now, and a whole bunch are at 2. They are almost all in the same guild though. So I imagine there's more than a little bit of resource "feeding" going on.

A non-Castled town sending resources to a Castled town should open it for attack or something.

You can always get some of your lower level friends to plunder the hell out of the resource cities.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just started. Do we have an alliance on World 7? This plays similarly to Evony.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    How feasible is it to just build two cities that are all resource cities and then a third for kicking ass?

Also I am pretty much just building all my stuff in the inner wall and clearing everything out, surrounding resource buildings in cottages and refineries/workshops/etc is this the best way to go or is it better to try and use the forests and stones?

Not so much.

They'd all have to be adjacent and you'd have to have a lot of either harbors or merchants to have the amount of ships/carts you'd need to transfer resources to maintain an army.

And you really don't want to leave your cities that do only resource gathering undefended. Towers are nice but you'll need a reasonably sized standing army to keep pillaging players off your back.

The sheer amount of resource trading between towns to do it would just be unbearable. Doubly so given the interface for the game isn't exactly the most intuitive for things like that.

EDIT: Also olol at the #1 player on World 5. Fourty eight cities, 425k score.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    PhilisPhilis Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    Hey, I've been playing this game for a bit off/on, busy with finals. Just realized I'm on C52 with a lot of you all. Could someone invite 80kzerkers to the alliance please?

Philis on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm on world 7, Cont 53.

Names AnontheFelon, I'd like an invite the alliance, or I'll start one.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    TuckerStrike77TuckerStrike77 Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I'm a fairly new player to this game on server3. I recently joined my alliance and while browsing through their forums (so laggy btw), I found the following post. Normally I'm all about pvp, but I have a thing against allies backstabbing eachother (and yet i keep playing pvp mmos).

I figured i'd come here share this, just wishi knew PA had a guild before i started =P

6XsqV.png

Sorry for the blur, felt like I should at least cover my ass.

TuckerStrike77 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    "abloo abloo I didn't get my shit in gear to defend myself and these other guys should have done the work for me, lets attack!"

I think it's safe to say if dude couldn't even protect himself he's not going to have a very good time at actually attacking anyone else.

EDIT: Is there a way to dismiss units?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    There's no way to dismiss units. If you have extraneous troops you need to get rid of, you'll need to send them off on suicide attacks against either bosses or other players.

Also, I lol at the guy there who thinks breaking an alliance for a petty sneak attack like that would be a good idea. Seriously, even if his stupid plan worked (which I doubt), all it would result in is every other alliance currently working with them to break off their alliances.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, he doesn't exactly come off as someone with much foresight. I mean, he has a castle in every single one of his towns, yet he holds a grudge against an allied alliance because they don't prevent one of them from being taken? Silly geese are silly.

Kinda wonder if he's getting really laid into at the moment, seeing as how he used a two day orb of peace about ten hours ago, if I'm understanding it right.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I just started my level 8 town hall upgrade. It's awesome. I'm going to build an army of templar's. Fortunately, there are 2 towns right near me that are lawless, and I'm working on getting barons as fast as possible to take them.

I bought some diamonds...I know, I'm a consumer whore.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hopefully my temple will be lvl 10 by tomorrow so I can get a baron. Then I just need to get up to 25 trade ships to create a new city.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I must be missing something, people seem to be advancing a hell of a lot faster than I am...
    I'm still waiting to reach 100,000 gold so I can hire a Baron and finally start my 2nd town.

Early on I had a big setback as I completely failed to realize how awesome Cottages are and how they could have increased my progression by leaps and bounds. Now my build speed is something like 630%, lol.

I try to keep a chunk of my army out there farming dungeons & lvl 2 monsters as much as possible.
    I can't seem to figure out what else I should be doing, unless all of it really is due to my first week spent with almost no Cottages.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I too realized the cottage thing late, and it really does slow you down. I probably would have already had my second city up and running I had gotten cottages sooner.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I took a over a Lawless City for my third town.

It still costs the resources and baron, but the buildings and resources that the old owner had will be there. It won't be the full amount and the buildings will be low level, but it's a great way to get a boost.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

Not so much.

They'd all have to be adjacent and you'd have to have a lot of either harbors or merchants to have the amount of ships/carts you'd need to transfer resources to maintain an army.

And you really don't want to leave your cities that do only resource gathering undefended. Towers are nice but you'll need a reasonably sized standing army to keep pillaging players off your back.

The sheer amount of resource trading between towns to do it would just be unbearable. Doubly so given the interface for the game isn't exactly the most intuitive for things like that.

Looks like we are on the same world, I am Sylem in game are you in an alliance? I can't find you on the rankings.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Not so much.

Looks like we are on the same world, I am Sylem in game are you in an alliance? I can't find you on the rankings.

Yeah I'm Galedrid in the game

EDIT: I'm in world 3. I don't know why I said 5.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Second city up. This time I'm making sure my storage capacity never exceeds my hideout capacity. Losing resources is pretty annoying.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Improvement! I wish it was possible to drag buildings in the queue. When you have a minister and there are buildings at the top of your queue you want at the bottom, that's a lot of fucking clicking.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Second city up. This time I'm making sure my storage capacity never exceeds my hideout capacity. Losing resources is pretty annoying.

Do you have a water-side city? If you're in World 3, then I've got some ships I'd be willing to send over to help out with defense.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have a city right by the river that runs the length of the Continent. I plan on capturing the city directly next to me, and planting another one near a forest dungeon, within an hour or 2 travel of my main city.

My newb protection ends in 3 days, am I just going to get plundered all the time?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Skulkraken wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

Do you have a water-side city? If you're in World 3, then I've got some ships I'd be willing to send over to help out with defense.

Yes I do, and I am, but don't sweat it. Only one guy is raiding and he just plundered and got 0 resources because of my hideouts so he won't try again for a couple days. I'm not building a castle until I think I'm ready to really defend myself.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was all set to start my 2nd city this morning when I realized....Dammit! I need 250 Trade Carts!
    My Town Hall is still only level 9, so I can't make a harbor just yet =/

Bloodshed on