As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PATV problems

ditchlilyditchlily Registered User new member
In the past, I have had no problems watching the patv episodes, but lately I have been getting an error message that tells me that I need to check my connection (obviously working and quite well at that) or to disable my popup blocker. I am using firefox on a mac, have disabled the popup blocker and even restarted the browser after doing so only to get the same error message. Can anyone give me a hand?

ditchlily on

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2010
    Our code guy should be by soon, but if you'd like a quicker response shoot an email to patv@penny-arcade.com with your os/browser and flash versions.

Tube on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been having the same problem for about 2 weeks. I use Firefox on Mac, and when I press the Play button, nothing happens. I did get that "turn off Adblock" message once, but now I don't even get that.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Like Tube said, can you either email patv@penny-arcade.com or post your os/browser/flash versions?

I'm able to watch the videos on OS 10.6.2 / Firefox 3.5.7

Älphämönkëy on
  • WyredWyred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Recently started having a few problems I saw mentioned in the other PA TV thread.

Episodes 10 and 12 load to a white box, however episode 11 played fine. The link for XML output from the other thread just loads a white page.

Using Mac OS 10.4.11 , Firefox 3.6, and Flash 10,0,32,18.

Hope this helps solve the problem.

Wyred on
  • ditchlilyditchlily Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    OSX version 10.4.11
    Firefox version 3.6
    Flash version 10.0.45.2

ditchlily on
  • grygusgrygus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wyred wrote: »
    Episodes 10 and 12 load to a white box, however episode 11 played fine. The link for XML output from the other thread just loads a white page.

Using Mac OS 10.4.11 , Firefox 3.6, and Flash 10,0,32,18.

Hope this helps solve the problem.
    Having an identical problem on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit using Firefox 3.6 (Flash 10.0.45.2). Also tried in Google Chrome 4.1 and IE 8 (32 bit) with freshly installed Flash; same results.

*Edit* 3/21: It's fixed for me. Thanks!

grygus on
  • damnglitchdamnglitch Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Since the switch to the new interface I've been unable to view the episodes. I'm running OS X 10.6.2 with firefox 3.6. Not sure what the deal is. Everything on the page loads except the video box. Same thing happens to my roommate running XP and 3.6.

damnglitch on
  • WyredWyred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Update: new player works fine now with same versions as my earlier post. The changes to layout etc. are also nice improvements both aesthetically and functionally. Thanks.

Wyred on
  • Intangible 360Intangible 360 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/pa-the-series/103/

Episode 103 does not load, tried in multiple browsers, different computers. The error details are below:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)
    Timestamp: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:33:03 UTC

Line: 97
    Char: 2
    Code: 0
    URI: http://api.indieclicktv.com/player/show/8705bb3a51554b92842d44e5c2e18aa8/325a559ce28462cde091f5ef6c389d0f/2/default/mplayer.js

Intangible 360 on
    Remember - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." -Carl Sagan
    edited April 2010
    We finally tracked down the javascript bug. It seems to be a concurrency bug in the player. It has been fixed :)

(Thanks for the fantastic bug report Intangible, that's pretty much perfect :wink:)

Älphämönkëy on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Finally works for me now, thanks!

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's still no video playing for me :(

edit: I've just now turned on the 'open console on error' in Opera, and I get the following stuff when going to http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/pa-the-series/115/

Agh crap can't post it here 'The text that you have entered is too long (126489 characters). Please shorten it to 35000 characters long.'

Should I mail it to you guys? Hell lot of text

edit2: me so dumb, here it is:
    CSS - http://admax.quisma.com/tracking/iframe.html?FID=2246&PMT=2140&BID=0&SID=303&PCT=http://tracking.adjug.com/AdJugTracking/Tracker.aspx?CLICK_SC/YXVybD0mYWNpZD03NTA5JmF0aWQ9MzM4MDkmcGFzaWQ9MTAzMTg2JnBjPTImYWN0PTEmYmlkPTAmc2Q9MDYrQXByKzIwMTArMTI6MDM6MjMmc21uPWFkandzMTNwMQ==;FinalURL=&CB=790558467
    Inlined stylesheet
    Syntax error before comment end ("-->")
    Line 11:
    //-->
    ^
    CSS - http://www.penny-arcade.com/stylesheets/compressed/pa-57cfe9e1c18defc57bc28f3d8d97a241.css
    Linked-in stylesheet
    Invalid value for property: content
    Line 1:
    ne;}blockquote:before,blockquote:after,q:before,q:after{content:'';content:none;
    ^
    CSS - http://www.penny-arcade.com/stylesheets/compressed/pa-57cfe9e1c18defc57bc28f3d8d97a241.css
    Linked-in stylesheet
    Invalid value for property: font-size
    Line 1:
    family:Helvetica,Arial,'Liberation Sans',FreeSans,sans-serif;font-size:13px/1.2;
    ^
    Linked-in stylesheet
    Line 1:
    family:Helvetica,Arial,'Liberation Sans',FreeSans,sans-serif;font-size:13px/1.2;
    ^

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• SyntaxErrorSyntaxError Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    This is what it looks like when I try to view any movie:
    patvprob.jpg

using firefox 3.6.3

and tried it in IE 8.0.7600.16385 64-bit but if it's flash I don't think it will work in the 64bit IE anyway

SyntaxError on
    Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens. -Tolkien
    edited April 2010
    That's exactly what it looks like for me since the redesign of the patv menu.

I've also had a short email exchange with alphamonkey, but it still doesn't work for me :(

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The default IE in Vista and Win7 is 32-bit. Try that one.

Also, works just fine for me. Firefox 3.6.3/Win 7.

ASimPerson on
    edited April 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Yeah it is 32-bit, if your OS version is 32-bit. Mine is not, it's 64-bit.

SyntaxError on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Yeah it is 32-bit, if your OS version is 32-bit. Mine is not, it's 64-bit.

Are you sure?
    IEs.png

The default is still 32-bit, because most plugins are still 32-bit. You would have to be explicitly choosing the 64-bit version to use it.

ASimPerson on
    edited April 2010
    I might add that I not only tried it on my default browser, Opera, but also on the 64 AND 32-bit versions of IE, on my OS, Vista.
    Flash is up to date, and I just don't know what else I could do (although it's peculiar that every video on youtube asks me to upgrade flash, but that's another topic I guess).

And no, I am not going to install another browser for the sole purpose of viewing PATV.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited April 2010
    Can you guys try viewing the video on www.indieclicktv.com?

If that doesn't work then I have an idea.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited April 2010
    I can view the video that shows on your link

edit: got it to work with chrome so yeah

SyntaxError on
    edited April 2010
    Can you guys try viewing the video on www.indieclicktv.com?

If that doesn't work then I have an idea.

Yeah we went through that exchange via email already - the video works, you provided me a direct link to the PATV 114 swf as well, which also worked, and to the PATV 114 xml, which displayed nothing as far as I remember, of which I sent you the source...

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited April 2010
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I might add that I not only tried it on my default browser, Opera, but also on the 64 AND 32-bit versions of IE, on my OS, Vista.
    Flash is up to date, and I just don't know what else I could do (although it's peculiar that every video on youtube asks me to upgrade flash, but that's another topic I guess).

And no, I am not going to install another browser for the sole purpose of viewing PATV.
    I wouldn't expect you to :wink:

I'm working on finding a solution, I just can't track down the bug.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited April 2010
    el_vicio wrote: »

I wouldn't expect you to :wink:

I'm working on finding a solution, I just can't track down the bug.

Well, if you need any input on the user side.... ;)

Hrm, I'm no programming dude at all, but since the .swf doesn't show up in the source code, instead a javascript which presumably is supposed to get the swf from indieclick to work on pa....that's...where...shit goes wrong?

Plus, when my opera console is activated, I still get the following error(s), the first of which seems to at least hint at what's wrong?

Linked-in stylesheet
    Invalid value for property: content
    Line 1:
    ne;}blockquote:before,blockquote:after,q:before,q:after{content:'';content:none;
    ^
    Linked-in stylesheet
    Line 1:
    ^
    Linked-in stylesheet
    Line 1:
    ^

edit3:
    Ok, another thing - I got it to work with the 32bit IE - I practically allowed any kind of script, I might narrow it down to the option that's the cause later - but I don't see any option to change these settings in Opera (yet)

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was watching the pilot just now and the usual PAX DVD ad came up first, and when I clicked on the video/ad it opened a new window to beacon.php and didn't go anywhere. Just completely blank white page. I'm not sure if this is a bug but it seems like it would be.

Goose! on
  • PhilosoraptorPhilosoraptor Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I've sent two emails about this to the address above but without any of the quickness of response promised!

So I've registered to post my problem here (hello!):
    Hi there,

Sending this after reading post on the forum.

I haven't been able to watch PATV or even access the player for the past two days of trying though I recall I have been able to in the past. Only a grey box loads up (screenshot attached). I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium I've tried the latest version of Google Chrome (4.1.249.1045) and the latest version of Firefox 3.6.2. to no avail. My flash version, I believe, is 10.0.45.2

Any help with this would be appreciated

Screenshot:

http://yfrog.com/4cpatvoj

Philosoraptor on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    edit: didn't see this was 2nd page. Nevermind!

GPIA7R on
  • zerodayzeroday Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I've sent two emails about this to the address above but without any of the quickness of response promised!

So I've registered to post my problem here (hello!):
    Hi there,

Sending this after reading post on the forum.

I haven't been able to watch PATV or even access the player for the past two days of trying though I recall I have been able to in the past. Only a grey box loads up (screenshot attached). I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium I've tried the latest version of Google Chrome (4.1.249.1045) and the latest version of Firefox 3.6.2. to no avail. My flash version, I believe, is 10.0.45.2

Any help with this would be appreciated

Screenshot:

http://yfrog.com/4cpatvoj

I had the same problem this morning with google chrome and osx10.6. eventually I was able to get the problem resolved by changing the settings within the flash player itself. Before that I did uninstall and reinstall flash and this didn't work, in fact it cause firefox and safari to have the same issue as chrome (i.e. your screenshot).

so.. I ended up doing 3 things within the flash settings.

I went here and made sure the bottom two options were checked

then I chose this option and selected the PATV url and selected Always Allow

and the final step at this site I just double checked to make sure it was set to always allow

After this was done. I had one more step to complete at the PATV site itself and that was once I had the page loaded I right clicked on the flash player and checked the privacy setting and made sure the setting was also set to always allow and to remember it.

after that it all worked for me.

zeroday on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2010
    That's a great post, thank you for being so helpful.

Tube on
  • PhilosoraptorPhilosoraptor Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    zeroday I could kiss you :D

Excellent instructions and matter promptly resolved. Several thanks :^:

Hope anyone else having problems with PATV manages to find this. I'm off to watch them all back to back ^_^

Philosoraptor on
  • zerodayzeroday Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    hah np, glad it worked for you too.

zeroday on
  • BluePaladin25BluePaladin25 Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I'm having a WEIRD problem with patv. Not sure exactly when it started, around when Blamimations ep. 4 came out. But the area where the video is supposed to load it only loads the jpeg keyframe. I checked the source, and it SAYS the video player is supposed to load in that spot, it's just NOT THERE. It worked fine before that episode came out.

I don't know where to start, I don't know what to check, I'm totally lost.

BluePaladin25 on
  • the_moogthe_moog Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I'm having a WEIRD problem with patv. Not sure exactly when it started, around when Blamimations ep. 4 came out. But the area where the video is supposed to load it only loads the jpeg keyframe. I checked the source, and it SAYS the video player is supposed to load in that spot, it's just NOT THERE. It worked fine before that episode came out.

I don't know where to start, I don't know what to check, I'm totally lost.

Yup, having exactly the same problem here, just started a couple of days ago. PATV has always been fine for me up until now. Any ideas on this one?

FF 3.6.3, Win 7, Flash 10.0.45.2

the_moog on
  • funnygeezusfunnygeezus Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    But the area where the video is supposed to load it only loads the jpeg keyframe. I checked the source, and it SAYS the video player is supposed to load in that spot, it's just NOT THERE.

This is the problem I'm having. For some reason episode 11 of PA: The Series works fine, but all other episodes and all episodes of Blamimation just show as a .jpeg. I've tried all the steps outlined so far in this post with no luck. Please find what's different about episode 11 and apply it to everything else: that would be great.

Firefox 3.5.9, Flash 10.0.45.2, Vista Pro

funnygeezus on
  • robv410robv410 Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I'm having the same problem as the 2 posts above me. All I get is the .jpeg of the keyframe, but the player controls never show up. Episode 10 (#111) of PA and episode 7 of Blamimation are the only ones that work in Firefox. I've tried on 2 different computers.

I can watch all of them in Opera without problem, but Firefox is my main browser. I've tried disabling the AdBlock add-on and still nothing works.

Like funnygeezus said above, find out what's different about these 2 episodes and apply it to everything else: that would be great.

Firefox 3.6.3, Win XP, latest version of flash..

robv410 on
  • PixelisedMindPixelisedMind Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    robv410 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem as the 2 posts above me. All I get is the .jpeg of the keyframe, but the player controls never show up. Episode 10 (#111) of PA and episode 7 of Blamimation are the only ones that work in Firefox. I've tried on 2 different computers.

I can watch all of them in Opera without problem, but Firefox is my main browser. I've tried disabling the AdBlock add-on and still nothing works.

Like funnygeezus said above, find out what's different about these 2 episodes and apply it to everything else: that would be great.

Firefox 3.6.3, Win XP, latest version of flash..

This is exactly my problem too. Latest Blamimation works, and episode ten of PATV. Everything else is the keyframe but no video.

Firefox 3.6.3, Windows XP and the latest Flash.

PixelisedMind on
  • the_moogthe_moog Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    robv410 wrote: »

Confirmed, it seems to work fine in Opera. Guess there's some sort of problem with FF, but at least you can get a workaround uintil this is resolved.

the_moog on
  • FolkorFolkor Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I can confirm the same symptoms with Chrome and IE 7, can view PATV ep 10, but no others. Seems website related as I have the issues from 3 different PCs.

Folkor on
  • FolkorFolkor Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Fixed now. Enjoying PATV again!

Folkor on
  • GlipkerioGlipkerio Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    The video quality on the Olive Garden ad on the latest PATV episode, the Chiptunes one on 8/20/2010, was terrible.

Companies that support PA should expect to have their ads shown in much better quality than that, it was a mess. The episode played just fine but the ad was very low res to the point of being pixelated at times.

Glipkerio on
    edited August 2010
    Glipkerio wrote: »
    The video quality on the Olive Garden ad on the latest PATV episode, the Chiptunes one on 8/20/2010, was terrible.

Companies that support PA should expect to have their ads shown in much better quality than that, it was a mess. The episode played just fine but the ad was very low res to the point of being pixelated at times.

Unfortunately, we do not have control over the video quality of mainstream ads. If I was to venture a guess, I would assume that advertisers pay for the bandwidth consumed by their advertisements.

Reformat the Planet was filmed back in 2005. Their equipment has leveled up since then :)

Älphämönkëy on