As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell me what the fuck you're reading

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shit man that's deep

shit

man

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    just got done reading lost city of z by david grann and Haiku by andrew vachs. both excellent reads!

now i'm starting Locos by Felipe Alfau and Scooter by Mick Foley

I like to read in pairs, when i'm able to

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Recently re-read To Kill a Mockingbird, forgot how much I enjoyed that book. I also read Geek Love, Sula and Tipping the Velvet. Sula was kind of whatever, Geek Love was pretty interesting, pretty freaky, but also a pretty problematic book. Tipping the Velvet was just waaaay too long but hey, lesbians and monsieur dildo.

Just read Neuromancer for the first time and I just picked up Count Zero, just started it today, actually. I'm also like, part way through Labyrinths by Borges, Blow Up by Cortazar and a collection of short stories by Kafka. But they are all collections of short stories so I don't feel bad putting them on hold for a bit to read other things.

Oh, that reminds me, I also read Calvino's Cosmicomics recently and that was just excellent.

Inquisitor on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've just finished The Forever War and it was even better than people told me, now I'm reading about fish lizards in Richard Ellis' Sea Dragons

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I need more interesting nonfiction to devour

Devil In the White City by Erik Larson

If you haven't read this, you need to

I'd also recommend The Family That Couldn't Sleep by DT.Max

Bill Bryson's A Brief History of Nearly Everything is really good.

RAGE. on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    9780520249745.jpg
    The Secret History of al-Qaeda

So far there are no actual secrets. Really interesting look at the emergence, demographics, psychology, and rising popularity of suicide bombing though.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bigpicture.jpg

QuestionMarkMan on
  • RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also about to finish up The Raw Shark Texts.

After that I think I'm going to reread The Myrkin Papers.

RAGE. on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh I just finished Dust of Dreams and dangit Steven Erikson can finish that last book any day now.

Peen on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Currently Reading Garden of Rama. Arthur C. Clarke does not write convincing societies. Or maybe that's Gentry Lee's fault. Anyways, it's getting to be a slog.

I just finished Charlie Wilson's War, it was awesome. A whole era of recent American history I knew nothing about. And very relevant to the current war in Afghanistan. That Ghost Wars book looks interesting for just that reason.

I also read Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. It was decent. I did like the Internet Dollars/Whuffie concept.

I looked at Kant and the Platypus in the library. God no. I guess semiotics is not an area I have any interest in.

captaink on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Still reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. I finished off a couple of Terry Pratchett books about the Witches. I have a few other books lined up to be read like Small Gods, Unseen Academicals, and The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril. I'm just being lazy about reading lately (I have, at last count, 24 books on my to-read shelf)

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh I just finished Dust of Dreams and dangit Steven Erikson can finish that last book any day now.

I think it has a release date? I'd have to check.

The last 2 books are the only ones that have taken more than a year. And Dust of Dreams was only a little more. His writing pace is so refreshing compared to GRRM's.

captaink on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    soccer.jpg
    159853047X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Highly recommend both!!

Although the first book of Fantastic tales is pretty heavy reading.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

you should check out Return Of The Crimson Guard, just got released recently in the US. written by the other dude that came up with the malazan world, picks up stuff in the mainland, with the empress and the wickans and all. pretty great read to tide you over.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    %7BB0B80735-7D57-4C54-899E-669B64B01CA0%7DImg100.jpg
    Should be starting this tonight or tomorrow.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Read another seventy pages of Mrs Dalloway. Still sucks.

unintentional on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    After months and months of delaying, I think I'm finally going to read Catch-22.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Read another seventy pages of Mrs Dalloway. Still sucks.

It can't possibly be worse than Jane Eyre.

BugBoy on
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jane Eyre was actually really good at first, but it got a bit silly midway through.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mrs Dalloway is a 200 page novel about a single day in the life of an extremely boring woman

unintentional on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think there's a copy in my house, actually.

Maybe I'll read it, just to see how bad it is.

BugBoy on
  • TskTsk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Last day of class, someone had placed the Star Wars Heir to the Empire trilogy on the free book shelf. My copies were destroyed in a flood like 10 years ago. That's what I'm reading now.

Tsk on
  • CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I might finish American Psycho. I think I stopped at the letch worthy "bum-eye-stabbing" scene. Exceptionally described, but difficult to read.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Christian Bale covered in blood and bare assed naked running down a hallway with a chainsaw was a career defining moment.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    edited May 2010
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Christian Bale covered in blood and bare assed naked running down a hallway with a chainsaw was a career defining moment.

The book is quite challenging to finish. The film is a laugh out loud black comedy.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    After months and months of delaying, I think I'm finally going to read Catch-22.

Shit, I think I still have a copy of that on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

Hmm... Yep, there it is. Guess I'll add it to my list.

Bad-Beat on
    edited May 2010
    I've heard good things, so I have high expectations.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm in the middle of rereading that now.

Seriously on
    edited May 2010
    How is it?

Butler For Life #1 on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    on my desk is a collection of lovecraft stories, a confederacy of dunces, the elephant vanishes, and richmond noir (which is awesome because detective stories and noir are my favorite and it's a collection set where i live)

also lies my teacher told me which was booooring

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just finished Memoirs of a Geisha and now I am attempting to re-read the Artemis Fowl series

mensch-o-matic on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got a Nook recently and have been rapidly running out of my 50 dollar gift card from buying ebooks. It has mostly been spent on books I already own I wanted in ebook format though. Currently re-reading the Princess Bride at the same time as And Then There Was None. Princess Bride is of course a classic and the Agatha Christie book is just a fun crime novel.

I bought the Girl With Dragon Tattoos or whatever it is called, but haven't started it yet. Will probably pick up Catch-22 with the last bit of my gift card, as I keep meaning to read it but never do.

Cilla Black on
    edited May 2010
    I think that makes 3 who have never got around to Catch-22. What is it about that book?

Butler For Life #1 on
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to go to the pub tomorrow and start reading it.

Bad-Beat on
    edited May 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Such exquisite lines as "The Lion" or "The Goose & Cart" or "King Charles' Brains"?

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I only heard about catch 22 from this forum quite a while ago, but never went to buy the copy. I'm sure it's in ebook format though.

House of Leaves is also in that list, but doesn't have an ebook version. Probably for good reason. I'll have to pick it up seperately or check it out from the library, which isn't a possibility at this point.

Cilla Black on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not having money I can't really afford a bookshelf. It's going to be one of those things I'll need to buy but right now its behind:
    a couch
    a dining room table
    chairs for said table

So right now I have a huge cardboard box filled top to bottom with books. Sometimes I'll be doing something and be like "crap... where did that book go" and then spend the next 20 minutes digging through shit to find it.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited May 2010
    What is House of Leaves, anyway? I keep hearing about it.

Butler For Life #1 on
    edited May 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Such exquisite lines as "The Lion" or "The Goose & Cart" or "King Charles' Brains"?

Hmm... No, 'the Wellington' actually.

Bad-Beat on
This discussion has been closed.