As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2010 Challenge Coins

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I too would be willing to throw $100 into the ring to get this ball rolling.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    While I don't have 100 bucks to throw in, I'm definitely interested and would happily pay for a coin or three

Arithon32 on
    vru37z14gk5j.png

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Forumers make up only about 2% of the PAXer collective, yes, and the others should be made to suffer in humiliation for their failure to participate! SUFFER! :evil:

Heh, no, not really. I guess you have a point, but then you have to realize that forumers hang out in high concentrations. For example virtually everybody at the community events are forumers or know forumers because that's the only place the events are advertised. I suppose there would need to be an understood etiquette about the matter (descended from 'don't be a dick') that these things would really only be appropriate to use at forumer-heavy events like the crawl, dinner, MMT, various cross-country trips, hotel parties that may-or-may-not-exist, etc.

Yeah, I'm not trying to crush anybody's fun or even worse, drinking. I just imagine a situation where somebody new to PAX went out with people in the know, failed to have a coin or even knew what one was, and was then expected to buy them drinks.

YoungFrey on
  • Glock N RollinGlock N Rollin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't see it as something that will sweep the PAX gatherings to begin with, more of a little token like "I was at PAX Prime 2010". However if we find a way to produce them and then the practice continues for each PAX event, as time goes on the number of people with them will grow and so will the "legend" of the coins. We gotta think long term here.

Even if it started with something as simple as the coins being your way to join in a circle of drinking rounds. If you throw down your coin each person who does takes a turn buying drinks for everyone who did. Not so much a challenge, but more of a ticket to the club.

That's how I see it at least.

Glock N Rollin on
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd be willing to pony up $100 to get challenge coins minted.

YoungFrey wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not trying to crush anybody's fun or even worse, drinking. I just imagine a situation where somebody new to PAX went out with people in the know, failed to have a coin or even knew what one was, and was then expected to buy them drinks.

If they're that new to PAX anyway, someone would probably find a way to get them to buy a round anyway. :P But seriously, I could see there being those who have extras to give away to people and if a newbie is a good sport about getting stuck buying a round then someone would slip them a coin.

Steel Fire on
  • ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If no one steps up to the plate... I'd be willing to organize this and even front a good majority of the costs. I think a minimum donation (to cover expenses) should be set with any more going to Child's Play. To be honest I'm not too worried about interest -- I think once things start coming together that it would take off enough to, at the very least, cover the costs.

I *plan* on attending PAX Prime (if not East also) for the foreseeable future so I could do this yearly.

If someone is already organizing this then I will sit back and throw my support to you, but I don't see anyone jumping in and it's getting closer and closer to September.

Let me know your thoughts! (Oh and I'm in the league of Challenge coins over the pathtags, I'd rather quality).

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Glock N RollinGlock N Rollin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll start contacting companies that make these tomorrow. I'll see about prices and if we can work out a deal or something.

Glock N Rollin on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I guess my question could have been worded better. I meant how would I earn a challenge coin, as in what would I have to do for someone to give me one?

feitocomfruta on
    edited May 2010
    I guess my question could have been worded better. I meant how would I earn a challenge coin, as in what would I have to do for someone to give me one?

Buy one.

These aren't like the badges to be handed out to people. Challenge coins are something people keep for a long time.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This sounds pretty fun. I'd be in for helping pay for a run of the coins. I could probably put in a somewhat substantial contribution if necessary.

Wormdundee on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah i think if this gets off the ground i could easily front half the cost of 1 mold if needed and possibly front the cost of 1 full coin mold.

With any luck we will get enough people to simply distribute the cost with coin purchases. With even a meager 100 coins thats only $1.50 a coin. I think it really depends on how much color we put on the coin that will be the main factor in determining initial costs. If i read it correctly its $19 per color for silk screening so a basic 4 color design is $80 on top of the cost of the coin mold and edges and such.

So i think at this point i think the talented and friends of talented people should throw up some design ideas and such.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This may sound dumb but just an idea...what about cast resin coins? the cost would be EXTREMELY minimal, peoiple could have multiple coins in various colors, the size could be large and this site has TONS of artistic folks who could easily make a master coin and cast it...for $10 you could get five coins in different colors, ones with glitter or glowing paint...just a thought...about as think as poker chips at least

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • edg2000edg2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the cost is attractive, but the traditional coin in this sense is metal. plus, a metal coin lasts longer.

edg2000 on
    Enforcer Years: P10 P11 P15 W16 W17
    7 PAX veteran
    edited May 2010
    Resin sounds attractive, but it tends to be horribly brittle and each resin 'coin' would need clean up from mold flashing.

Steel Fire on
  • circeramonecirceramone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I could front $100 towards the initial costs to get this off the ground.

circeramone on
    PAX East 2013 [x]3 day pass [ ]Airfare [x]Hotel [ ]Coin
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    okay okay...next idea...

forging a stamp and buying copper blanks...eh eh?

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So do we have anybody workign on design ideas? because it looks like we definitely want to do this, and we have enough people volunteering to put in money that the full size metal coins are definitely a reality.

next up would be cost comparisons and design phase, which, if we want to do this for pax needs to happen quickly, any thoughts on these? do we have some awesome skilled people who could maybe put pax10 on one side and perhaps the childs play controller on the other? (just ideas, i'm not an artist and i defer to you creative types)

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am tempted to suggest not identifying the year on the coin, that way the blank/mold/stamp/whateva can be used year after year to produce more coins.

Although, it would add an interesting flavor to any PAXcoin challenges in future years if you carry the earlier editions. IE: youngest coin buys the round. PAX10 coins, being the first, would be the advantage.

Yuritau on
    edited May 2010
    Okay, I think that you should look at pricing, and make a poll for people who would want to have one. I think that this way, you could see what the initial demand for them would be, then figure out how much it would cost for each option. Also, you would want to figure in a small number for sale at PAX (though you'd probably have to clear it with the higher ups (like Khoo if you want to use the PAX logo).

RE: resin coins/poker chips - It's not a horrible idea, I mean some poker chips are very heavy and durable, but it is a question of production.

feitocomfruta on
  • JtscioJtscio Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I remember reading about this company : http://www.coinsforanything.com/prices.htm, a while ago in an article about adwords or something. But their prices are considered very fair, and they make a good coin. So maybe this is something someone can look into?

Jtscio on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Doing anything for-profit with somebody else's trademark is a bad idea. PA Inc. are decent people, and they've let us be pretty loose with their trademarks and identity, so long as we've kept it not-for-profit. This is not a relationship we should spoil with a breach of that trust.

If anything we should keep the model which has become something of a community standard: find a reasonable break even point, invest the necessary funds, and if enough people get on board that the break even point is positively exceeded, donate the rest to Child's Play.

I think if we're serious about this we need to start putting our cards on the table and be counted not just in vague terms of interest but how much would we be willing to help seed an effort. I would be willing to contribute $100 in seed funds to start a minting, of which I would hope to recover 90%, but I am willing to accept any degree of loss assuming that production cost exceeds demand.

Aye, a good point ET, as always. =) I was trying to think of some way a single person (with more access to $ than the rest of us =) ) could be motivated to kick off this project and gain back over time... but you have a good point in that it's going too far if it ends up for profit for that person. =(

Ooh, what if we had an "incremental" donation pool instead of the large upfront donation? For example, I don't think I could put in 100$ at once for example right now (in a terrible case of bad job timing on my part at the moment... long story =( ), but perhaps 15$ a month leading up to PAX or something might be better? It'd spread out the hit a bit. Maybe if enough people could make a monthly commitment or something like that, we could get the funds needed to make it happen.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jtscio wrote: »
    I remember reading about this company : http://www.coinsforanything.com/prices.htm, a while ago in an article about adwords or something. But their prices are considered very fair, and they make a good coin. So maybe this is something someone can look into?

Looks like with them it would only be $350-500 (depending on sides/options) for the minimum order of 100 (and less than $4 a coin for more) which seems very doable.

Edit: Actually, if we can get a decent showing of interest in a poll or similar and some worthwhile art, I can cover that and attempt to get recompensed later (although I wont say no to you $100 volunteers helping out :P). Any surplus going to CP of course.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think we have enough 100 dollar volunteers to cover that already, is that the slightly large coins like what the OP showed us, because I really like that personally. myself, I would love to put in 100 bucks and get like 15-20 coins out of it for fun moments at PAX, assumably at 4 bucks a coin that would still be a 20 dollar donation to the cause above and beyond coin purchases. thoughts, ideas? also, how does one make a mock up for a coin design? this seems very difficult.

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
    edited May 2010
    Well looks like they include design help as part of the fee, so I'm assuming if one of the photoshop wizards from AC can whip up some stuff, then the company could make it "coin-ready" or whatever.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm... This sounds like quite the intriguing idea. I approve! :^:!

As for the resin coins, and someone mentioning heavier and stronger pokier chips? That is because the majority of poker chips that aren't the super cheap plastic ones, are actually made of fired clay, which would probably be a lot more expensive...

I think the idea of throwing up a poll on this thread it a very valid one.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited May 2010
    For comparison:
    DSC00855.png
    2" coin (like the OP showed), 1.5" coin, half-dollar, and quarter... and pennies too, but they're only good as props.

Personally, I prefer the 1.5" size.

Steel Fire on
  • circeramonecirceramone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For me personally, the 1.5" is the smallest I would prefer. I don't want to accidentally confuse this with one of my Buttoneer buttons or even more horrifying, actual money. (Yes, I could tell it apart from a button while sober...but I am frequently not sober at PAX). So my preference is for the 1.5" & 2" sizes. Although I will admit to being visually shallow, and the fact that the 2" coin has more detailing on it makes it my favorite thus far.

That being said, I'm enough of a loot whore that I will pony in for whatever we end up deciding.

circeramone on
    PAX East 2013 [x]3 day pass [ ]Airfare [x]Hotel [ ]Coin
    edited May 2010
    2" is the way to go IMO.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    2" has my vote too, with 1.5" being the absolute minimum I would like to see.

Also, if coinsforanything.com is used, the price difference between 1.5" and 2" is a whopping $0.30 per coin. That's thirty cents for an extra half inch. An exchange rate I'm sure many find appealing. (read into that whatever you will!)

Yuritau on
    edited May 2010
    If you all paid for a first run, I'd buy two or three off you guys for like, a $5 donation each to Child's Play? I think that you should be able to at least get the first run, but then any that you sell could reimburse plus a little overage for a nice extra donation.

I mean, what are 4 people going to do with 100 challenge coins? You only need the one to slap down.

In any case, definitely talk to the PAX organizer people about what you can and can't do.

feitocomfruta on
    edited May 2010
    In any case, definitely talk to the PAX organizer people about what you can and can't do.

So, I keep seeing people say things like this... And I just figured I would kinda give an FYI on the subject.

The PA and PAX organizers are awesome, but they really don't get involved in community stuff. We organize and police ourselves. If we use their logo, it's all good as long as there is NO for profit stuff going on.

In other words, go ahead and message them if you like, they love hearing about the awesome things people do for Childs Play, but don't expect an endorsement, or anything like that. They take a very hands off approach to most community events, and I for one, agree with their decision.

As a side note, I vote the 2" ones! They look awesome. I'd throw in $5 or so for one of those for sure!

Snickers on
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, I go out of town for two weeks and people are already chomping at the bit. I still want to organize and head this thing up. But if someone is already ass deep in designing and planning, then far be it from me to stop you.

But if no one else has anything, let me throw my ideas out there. My thought on the first coin would be a generic Penny Arcade coin; logo on one side, Gabe and Tycho on the other. Single run of 100 serialized coins. Cost would be $10+Shipping a coin with proceeds from each coin going to Child's Play. (Note I said each coin, not total). I can probably foot all the cost myself, but that's just me wanting to make sure the right people get the first two numbered coins.

My other thought would be instead of doing a 2" round coin, have the first run of coins be the same shape as the logo (kind of ovular with the letters poking out the side). I think that would make for a fairly interesting limited edition coin.

Then as people get word of them and interest grows outside the forum, then you can do specialized coins for different PAXes or even like a specific ones given to pre/post-party participants.

For what it's worth, I have never once been challenged/issued a challenge. Most guys I know that collect them don't even carry one around on a regular basis. The point of the coin is more to prove your affiliation with a certain organization (in this case, it would be PA).

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2010
    Wow, I go out of town for two weeks and people are already chomping at the bit. I still want to organize and head this thing up. But if someone is already ass deep in designing and planning, then far be it from me to stop you.

But if no one else has anything, let me throw my ideas out there. My thought on the first coin would be a generic Penny Arcade coin; logo on one side, Gabe and Tycho on the other. Single run of 100 serialized coins. Cost would be $10+Shipping a coin with proceeds from each coin going to Child's Play. (Note I said each coin, not total). I can probably foot all the cost myself, but that's just me wanting to make sure the right people get the first two numbered coins.

My other thought would be instead of doing a 2" round coin, have the first run of coins be the same shape as the logo (kind of ovular with the letters poking out the side). I think that would make for a fairly interesting limited edition coin.

Then as people get word of them and interest grows outside the forum, then you can do specialized coins for different PAXes or even like a specific ones given to pre/post-party participants.

For what it's worth, I have never once been challenged/issued a challenge. Most guys I know that collect them don't even carry one around on a regular basis. The point of the coin is more to prove your affiliation with a certain organization (in this case, it would be PA).

I support this idea.

Though I am torn about the serialized coins vs. the Logo shaped ones...... :?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the best way to do this is simply set up a pay pal and cut the price of coins evenly. Set up a minimum number of coins we have to sell to simply cover everything.

So if i cover the mold cost then we would have to add the cost of the colors on the coin. The rest of the effects are done per coin so there is no real upfront cost with that. So we would make our design get a quote and then open a paypal where people could send in how many coins they want and the money for it. In the case we don't get enough orders to cover the base price we simply refund the money and move on.

This way people would be free to buy as many coins as they want and not have some 10 people get stuck with a $250 bill and 150 unused coins. We just need to make sure if profits are gained in selling coins it goes to charity.

If this is a good/bad idea let me know.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
    edited May 2010
    Really need to have a design and quote before we can get serious about how to arrange the payments and such.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I think at this point the question of payment and such is mute until we can agree on a design.

Artists, ASSEMBLE!

Snickers on
    edited May 2010
    I know I'm being repetative and annoying about this all, but seriously, any designs that you guys make for these MUST be approved by the powers that be. The forum badge people have to get their stuff approved to finalize the design, so I'm pretty sure this would have to happen as well.

Therefore, once someone has started to design the coin, make sure that you get the contact info on who you have to talk to about using logos.

I just don't want you all to get in trouble for making these up, cuz then you'd be out ALL of your money and unable to use anything.

feitocomfruta on
    edited May 2010
    I know I'm being repetative and annoying about this all

A bunch of us have been doing this sorta thing for a few years and it's basically a non-issue as long as noone's making any money. The copyright police have yet to come knocking down my door for my (200+) PAX and Fruit Friend buttons. Read Snicker's post about 5 below this one. Hell, the buttoneers had a giant display case made in the shape of the PAX logo and I don't think anyone ever got permission from the powers that be for that (but I don't know that for sure). I'm sure someone will get in contact with them at some point, but making an issue of it is silly.

tl;dr: lighten up :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    skarsol wrote: »
    I know I'm being repetative and annoying about this all

A bunch of us have been doing this sorta thing for a few years and it's basically a non-issue as long as noone's making any money. The copyright police have yet to come knocking down my door for my (200+) PAX and Fruit Friend buttons. Read Snicker's post about 5 below this one. Hell, the buttoneers had a giant display case made in the shape of the PAX logo and I don't think anyone ever got permission from the powers that be for that (but I don't know that for sure). I'm sure someone will get in contact with them at some point, but making an issue of it is silly.

tl;dr: lighten up :)

Yes they had to get permission for the button case, It was just invisible to you becuase nobody posted about it.

Anytime you use the PAX/PA logo for anything you need to have permission from Penny-Arcade/Robert Khoo.

Your indvidual buttons are less of an issue (you still need to ask permission but I dont think khoo isnt going to rage as much over that) but if its for something thats public like this, you need to ask permission.

Technaically (and in my expereinces) printing companies require written permission from the logo owner to use a trademarked logo in anything thats printed out for any mass produced media. I am actually suprised that purebuttons is so lax in this dept.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited May 2010
    Well there we go then, something semi official. Now we can move on! :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
This discussion has been closed.