As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is there room for semi-obscure but useful applications in the OP? Because Dia is all kinds of handy for flowcharts and diagrams.

MKR on
  • darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, I thought it was official, given that the lubuntu-desktop package is in the Ubuntu repositories.

Oh well. I guess I need to learn how to read. :P

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    I think kubuntu and xubuntu had packages in there long before they were official.

MKR on
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    I think kubuntu and xubuntu had packages in there long before they were official.

I think lubuntu-desktop has been in there since 8.10 actually.

darkphoenix22 on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Lubuntu still isn't official, but hopefully will be before 10.10 hits.

Also, if we're talking about cool, unknown applications I feel the need to mention both Krupfer and Ailurus, because they're awesome.

Also, Clementine which uses 11mb while playing FLAC files. 8-)

Impersonator on
    edited May 2010
    Another cool app is Deja Dup, which is probably the easiest backup program I've ever used. It supports backing up to Amazon S3 as well as a bunch of remote file transfer protocols (ie. FTP, SSH, WebDev). Scheduling is supported as well.

Pino, a Twitter client, is neat also. It's really lightweight and the interface is really simple and easy to use.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    Man, I haven't used a Twitter client in months. Ubuntu comes with Gwibber but I never bothered with tinkering with it.

I also read on OMG! Ubuntu! that Turpial is also a good alternative.

I remember using Seesmic (Adobe Air) and Brizzly (Web App). They were both great.

Impersonator on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    Okay guys recommend me a modern distro for a Pentium 2.

This is important to my plans for world domination.

Puppy Linux is probably your best bet. It was made to run on everything.
    http://puppylinux.org/

Hm see Puppy makes me a little nervous, it doesn't quite operate the same way a normal Linux distro does due to the fact that it doesn't really sit on the hard drive, it just creates a save file. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm pretty sure that there have been other live-distros with the ability to do that. Isn't it just dropping a loopback filesystem on the drive or something? Although I wouldn't recommend Puppy either.

Anyway, Slitaz is pretty much the best post-DSL lightweight distro I've found. It's tiny, fast, and actually contains modern software. Tiny Core Linux is the other big (small?) one, made by one of the main guys behind DSL. It's sort of a minimal base with absolutely nothing that you customize and add onto. Only 10 MB or so. Although, for an extra 20mb, you could get Slitaz and a bunch of nice pre-setup stuff, so that's what I always end up using.

Frem on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm interested in using Ubuntu on my laptop because I feel like I should know how to use Linux if I'm going to be doing computer science. Is there any reason why the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 is about 500 megs smaller than the 32 bit version? That seems kinda weird to me...

Tav on
    edited May 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm interested in using Ubuntu on my laptop because I feel like I should know how to use Linux if I'm going to be doing computer science. Is there any reason why the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 is about 500 megs smaller than the 32 bit version? That seems kinda weird to me...

Some programs still require the 32-bit libraries, so both the 64-bit and 32-bit libraries must be installed. Because of this, the 64-bit version takes up quite a bit more RAM as well.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010

Some programs still require the 32-bit libraries, so both the 64-bit and 32-bit libraries must be installed. Because of this, the 64-bit version takes up quite a bit more RAM as well.

So shouldn't the 64 bit version be bigger then, if it has libraries for both?

Tav on
    edited May 2010
    The ISOs seem to be about the same size on the website. Are you speaking of HD installation size?

darkphoenix22 on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    (64-bit Ubuntu doesn't come with 32-bit compatibility libraries. You have to install ia32-libs manually)

Frem on
    edited May 2010
    The ISOs seem to be about the same size on the website. Are you speaking of HD installation size?

After downloading both versions off http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download , there's a relatively large gap in file size...

Capture-4.jpg

Tav on
    edited May 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    (64-bit Ubuntu doesn't come with 32-bit compatibility libraries. You have to install ia32-libs manually)

Which are installed when you install Flash, so you pretty much have them anyways (although you can install the 64-bit version of Flash, it's a more complicated process and it isn't included in the repos).

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010

After downloading both versions off http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download , there's a relatively large gap in file size...

Capture-4.jpg

The 64-bit one is corrupted. Redownload it.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    There we go, downloading it now...

God I feel stupid :P

Tav on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is there room for semi-obscure but useful applications in the OP? Because Dia is all kinds of handy for flowcharts and diagrams.

Actually, an applications section would make a pretty good addition to the OP.

What are some other can't-live-without apps you guys use? Stuff that doesn't typically come pre-installed on a linux box.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited May 2010
    Seeks wrote: »

Actually, an applications section would make a pretty good addition to the OP.

What are some other can't-live-without apps you guys use? Stuff that doesn't typically come pre-installed on a linux box.

Speedcrunch, TuxGuitar

MKR on
    edited May 2010
    Cheese is another good one. It's an open source version of Photobooth and lets you play around with your webcam.

There's also tuxguitar, which is a tablature editor and player. It's awesome if you have a guitar.

darkphoenix22 on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't suppose you know of any good tutorials or anything for it? I tried to make some E-R diagrams or something with it last semester before just giving up and using visio instead. Seems like it was really bad at resizing anything, which combined with not really telling me how large anything was made actually getting something usable in a report out of it an absolute nightmare.

Oh, and on the subject of useful apps, Gummi is nice for doing final editing of latex files. I prefer to do most of the content in vim, but when you want to make sure everything looks good, especially diagrams or figures that you might constantly be revising to get perfect, it's nice to have a live view of the output instead of doing a constant edit/recompile cycle.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There is no need for any apps beyond awk and screen. What els eciuld you possibly want :p

Apothe0sis on
    edited May 2010
    A spelling checker!

MKR on
    edited May 2010
    Perhaps this should be put on the first post. It's the best overview of Unix history and philosophy I have ever read.
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    I tried reading that once, but can't remember why I gave up on it.

MKR on
    edited May 2010
    It is quite long. I would only stick to the first 3 chapters and the Master Foo Appendix at the end.

darkphoenix22 on
    edited May 2010
    I mean I only got a few pages in. My reading endurance is very high, so the length isn't the issue.

MKR on
    edited May 2010
    I don't see any problem with it. Though I have never read past around Ch. 6. I'm really not a big text book reader. :P

The title is a bit misleading, it's not a "how to do things" book as much of a "why things are done" book.

darkphoenix22 on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nice link, DP. I think I might just toss that up there.

Edit: OP might be a bit too big. I can't add too much without fucking it up.

Oh well, haha.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just installed Ubuntu on my new ul50. First time with Linux. I screwed up and installed 32 bit. Do libraries work like, I can install 64 on top of this, or do I need to reformat and start over?

Also: Regular Ubuntu 10.04, or Kubuntu?

Mai-Kero on
    edited May 2010
    You need to start over.

Impersonator on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A spelling checker!

You're a spell checker. Stupid big thumbs and unhelpful iPhone handling of text boxes.

In other news I just meT Whit Diffie and had a conversation. I am thus imbued with greater computing power.

Apothe0sis on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Due to stupidity I tried to installed Kubuntu, messed up partitions, and now I have three instead of the two I want. Is there a way to format the two ubuntu partitions, merge one back into windows 7, and use the other for a fresh install?

Mai-Kero on
    edited May 2010
    You could probably do something like that with partd, and gpartd is a pretty good front end for that.

Most live cds have some form of that above available for you to give this sort of thing a good old college try.

Once you fix the partition table just trying to install again should give you the option of formatting the remaining kubuntu partition and you should be fine.

Apothe0sis on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thinking of buying my wife a laptop for her birthday (a new one that is) and reformatting it with Ubuntu Lucid (which I'm currently using, although with Gnome Shell so I'm not seeing all their fancy new stuff). I'm curious if I'd be better served installing 64bit or not since the model I'm looking at has 4 gigs of ram (I've only used Ubuntu's 32bit editions), or if she'd run into more bugs.

In addition I'm curious if there's a way to automate the process of using NVIDIA "beta" drivers. Obviously on my end if there's a kernel upgrade I just drop to a terminal after reboot and "sudo sh ~/drivers/NVIDIA-195.36.1.pkg.run" or whatever (thank god for tab completion), but I'd like her to not have to deal with that, and additionally to not have to deal with using old ass drivers that can have show stopping bugs when it comes to games (which she wants the laptop to be able to run... because she wants me to be poor).

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

edited May 2010
    32 bit is good up to 4 GB. If you don't have more than that, 64 bit won't do anything outside of some very narrow and unusual situations.

MKR on
    edited May 2010
    Good, I figured, but didn't want to possibly limit her just because I would be running support on something I'm not used to.

Mblackwell on

edited May 2010
    What matters is what she'll do on the computer. 4GB will handle web browsing and word processing easily. What will she be doing on it?

MKR on
    edited May 2010
    Facebook and e-mails, browsing and IMing... and playing Mass Effect. Hence the NVIDIA GPU. And my wallet crying.

Mblackwell on

• krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay guys recommend me a modern distro for a Pentium 2.

This is important to my plans for world domination.

I believe Vector Linux will work well on a P2.

http://www.vectorlinux.com/

krush on