As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virus protection for newbies

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got my mom a netbook for her birthday. She is the type who can barely send an e-mail, let alone practice safe browsing habits, so I want to set up some antispyware/antivirus programs that will require no meddling on her part.

Step 1 is installing firefox, adblock plus, and disabling java/javascript. After that I'm not really sure where to go.

Suggestions, please!

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...
Reznik on

• nandor90nandor90 Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    Buy Kaspersky internet security and u are safe member:) okay not 100% safe but safe enough.

nandor90 on
  • Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, lightweight and unobtrusive, and it will update through Windows Update.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Install Spybot Search & Destroy (do not install TeaTimer, which comes with it), update it, and immunize with it. That will take care of a ton of common malware.

Have you configured her router to operate as a firewall? I would suggest doing that, too.

Thanatos on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll second the Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot S&D Immunization recommendation. The immunization works best if you update it weekly, but it needs to be done manually, from what I've experienced.

If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, and you want a pretty solid method to secure machine with minimal future effort, I'd recommend setting up the default user as a limited user account and then establishing a software restriction policy. The plus side is that it's really, really difficult to get infected under those conditions (Some folks use it instead of antivirus software - I don't recommend that, though). The downside is that it makes it hard to download, install, or update software - But if your mom's not going to be doing much other than checking email and browsing, this might be the preferred route.

You can read more about LUA and SRP here. It'll take some effort to set up initially, but it might be worth it in the long run.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Install Spybot Search & Destroy (do not install TeaTimer, which comes with it), update it, and immunize with it. That will take care of a ton of common malware.

Have you configured her router to operate as a firewall? I would suggest doing that, too.

Recently I've read that immunizing can actually lead to a slow computer or slow internet. It adds thousands of blocks to your hosts file, and the entire thing is parsed every time a page is loaded.

As much as I've relied on it in the past, I'm increasingly leaning away from Spybot. I only have MalwareBytes right now (plus another foolproof "antivirus").

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't forget to tell your mom never to open email attachments, unless she already knows what it is.

Especially if Aunt Sally is forwarding "inspirational" emails attached to dubious powerpoint presentations.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Recently I've read that immunizing can actually lead to a slow computer or slow internet. It adds thousands of blocks to your hosts file, and the entire thing is parsed every time a page is loaded.

As much as I've relied on it in the past, I'm increasingly leaning away from Spybot. I only have MalwareBytes right now (plus another foolproof "antivirus").

I've been immunizing for 2 years and I haven't noticed any slowness.

Perpetual on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »

I've been immunizing for 2 years and I haven't noticed any slowness.

The reason I looked it up recently is because I used it on a computer at work which subsequently became excruciatingly slow. It was the only change I made.

Both anecdotal, I just wanted to make sure the possibility is known.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Microsoft Security Essentials. And I would go with Chrome over Firefox, it will give her a little more screen real estate since she's on a netbook, should run faster than FF for the same reason, and I personally think it has an easier interface to use, especially for a novice.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Microsoft Security Essentials. And I would go with Chrome over Firefox, it will give her a little more screen real estate since she's on a netbook, should run faster than FF for the same reason, and I personally think it has an easier interface to use, especially for a novice.
    This is good, provided you can get AdBlock working on Chrome. That is such a huge security necessity.

Thanatos on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    This is good, provided you can get AdBlock working on Chrome. That is such a huge security necessity.

You can get AdBlock for Chrome, and it works quite well.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be setting it up tomorrow so I'll let you all know if I've got any more questions.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is she going to be wanting to install anything that often? if not (and thagts probably the case) than my usual suggestion for mostly web browsing computers for the computer inept is to install something like deepfreeze. she'll still be able to download and save pictures word docs etc. But every restart of the comp resets it to a set state, its near impossible to get any sort of virus on it that way.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Foomy wrote: »
    Is she going to be wanting to install anything that often? if not (and thagts probably the case) than my usual suggestion for mostly web browsing computers for the computer inept is to install something like deepfreeze. she'll still be able to download and save pictures word docs etc. But every restart of the comp resets it to a set state, its near impossible to get any sort of virus on it that way.

I doubt she'd want to install anything, and if she did she'd get me to do it.

Is deepfreeze free? I remember they used it on the computers at my college, so I'd definitely give it a shot.

Reznik on
    Forget it...