As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[!] Metal Gear Monday - MARK ALL SPOILERS, some people are still virgins in here.

1161718192022»

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All you damn kids with your I-pimples and your PCPs!
    Cries

manwiththemachinegun on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what does that even mean

VALVEjunkie on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    He is sad that he doesn't have a PSP.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited May 2010
    oh

UP YOUR NOSE WITH A RUBBER HOSE, GRAMPS

but seriously YOU RUN OUTER HEAVEN IN BETWEEN MISSIONS I AM SO EXITED

VALVEjunkie on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Man, MGS and MGS2 were fun but MGS3 is just a slog for me so far. It's weird how everybody says it's the best one. The jungle stuff is getting old.

The first half of MSG3 is the worst; the game gets considerably better after the half-way point. Or so I think. In particular, playing through the same forest section twice does get old fast.

I first played MGS3 the month before MGS4 came out. The beginning jungle section does suck but I thought it picked up quite well once you got out. (And I loved some of the later boss fights)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh

shit, really? goddamn i need a psp stat.

Deaderinred on
    edited May 2010
    oh

shit, really? goddamn i need a psp stat.

haven't you seen the videos?!

check a few pages back trust me

VALVEjunkie on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, what should I know before starting MGS4? Like, as far as getting all the hidden stuff, etc.

For example, it was good to know in MGS3 that defeating the bosses by dropping their stamina instead of life got you their special camo. Things like that.

With no spoilers if possible.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited May 2010
    Metal Gear Mark II is your friend, get in the habit of using it. There are some chapters where it has special actions.

In the first two chapters during some of the bigger battles, you're not penalized for going in guns blazing. You can make things a lot easier on yourself (and without triggering alerts), by flanking enemies already engaged.

You get rewards for beating bosses non-lethally in each of their 'phases'. But if that's too difficult or immersion breaking, just use leathal weapons on their first 'form', and non lethal on the second. That gets you the best reward with the minimum of hassle.

Secret codecs are still in, so call frequently.

Pretty much everything from the prior games are true here, with the exception of the new controls.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited May 2010
    when you beat bosses with the tranq gun in 4 you get camo

uuh OOH during the mission briefing cutscenes in between each act take control of the Mk. II and ram into people with it to get camo

theres probably more but I cant remember right now

E: MANWITHTHEMACHIIIINEEEEGUUUUUUUNNNNNNN
    :P

VALVEjunkie on
  • atmaatma Deep RiverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Question of the day

Why are Quentin Tarantino and Hideo Kojima the same guy?

atma on
    edited May 2010
    kojima is the japanese tarantino

VALVEjunkie on
    edited May 2010
    yes they have different nationalities

you aren't trying, valvey

atma on
    edited May 2010
    :V

uuh
    hmm

I have no idea
    why are Tarantino and Kojima the same guy?

VALVEjunkie on
    edited May 2010
    I was askin' you

just elaborate your answer

no one right answer anyways

atma on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the infos guys!

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited May 2010
    atma wrote: »
    I was askin' you

just elaborate your answer

no one right answer anyways

they both make weird awesome shit that tonnes of people love them for?

VALVEjunkie on
    edited May 2010
    Both these "directors" get sets of fans who argue too much about whether or not the art is better for restraint or indulgence. And I don't think that either men can really say no to their silliest whims.

atma on
    edited May 2010
    Yes, they make weird awesome shit just like you said, but I don't love them.

atma on
    edited May 2010
    Metal Gear Mark II is your friend, get in the habit of using it. There are some chapters where it has special actions.

In the first two chapters during some of the bigger battles, you're not penalized for going in guns blazing. You can make things a lot easier on yourself (and without triggering alerts), by flanking enemies already engaged.

You get rewards for beating bosses non-lethally in each of their 'phases'. But if that's too difficult or immersion breaking, just use leathal weapons on their first 'form', and non lethal on the second. That gets you the best reward with the minimum of hassle.

Pretty much everything from the prior games are true here, with the exception of the new controls.

Codec is basically not worth it in 4, there are very few new conversations.

Some of the harder to unlock weapons are kinda neat I guess.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I got my friend a copy of Subsistence. I'm going to hide it under a cardboard box in his room and see how long it takes before he finds it.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited May 2010
    :^: that owns

VALVEjunkie on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do you think I can just go to a local store and ask if they have a cardboard box a man could fit in without getting arrested?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited May 2010
    liquor stores usually are a good place for boxes, but a Super market might be better for really big ones, or even better, a furniture store.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    Do you think I can just go to a local store and ask if they have a cardboard box a man could fit in without getting arrested?

I don't think that fitting in a cardboard box is an offence that warrants arrest.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Both these "directors" get sets of fans who argue too much about whether or not the art is better for restraint or indulgence. And I don't think that either men can really say no to their silliest whims.

What is this? What are you doing?

Igort on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was reading in this thread about the MGS3 bosses and thought i would throw in my two cents, and some commentary on MGS4 bosses:
    I actually really liked them. I felt they harkened back to the MGS bosses in 1, which who were soldiers who were just on the other side. As well, while all of the Cobra unit had backstories (I think if you call Eva during the fights she'll tell you) you don't necessarily have to know it. They are there to fight you, they don't spend much time spouting stuff about their past, or giving you sob stories. They are The Bosses closest allies, and you are now her enemy. They will fight you, but they don't hate you. It is refreshing in retrospect to the B&B unit, who you have to hear their sob stories over and over again, who all are a play on the same thing. The first time it was kind of sad, by the fourth it was annoying. I felt Wolf's story in MGS and Raiden's story in MGS2 had already hit hard the horrors of growing up in war, we didn't need for more nails for the coffin.

Which does make me think, in the original MGS, how many of the bosses are tragic, sympathetidc characters? The only one I can think of is Wolf. Mantis comes close, but his was more just confessions than pity or sympathy. Raven I remember not being repentant or remorseful, Liquid hates you, Octopus dies early on, and Ocelot is well, Ocelot.

Also, about MGS4 and weapons:
    I found some fun in the sense of there is enough variety in the weapons that it was kind of fun to constatnly switch which weapons you would use. So once a chapter I like to switch up everything but the tranq gun, and try something new for fighting. It can be fun, and I ended up liking some guns more than I thought.

never die on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    never die wrote: »
    I was reading in this thread about the MGS3 bosses and thought i would throw in my two cents, and some commentary on MGS4 bosses:
    I actually really liked them. I felt they harkened back to the MGS bosses in 1, which who were soldiers who were just on the other side. As well, while all of the Cobra unit had backstories (I think if you call Eva during the fights she'll tell you) you don't necessarily have to know it. They are there to fight you, they don't spend much time spouting stuff about their past, or giving you sob stories. They are The Bosses closest allies, and you are now her enemy. They will fight you, but they don't hate you. It is refreshing in retrospect to the B&B unit, who you have to hear their sob stories over and over again, who all are a play on the same thing. The first time it was kind of sad, by the fourth it was annoying. I felt Wolf's story in MGS and Raiden's story in MGS2 had already hit hard the horrors of growing up in war, we didn't need for more nails for the coffin.

Which does make me think, in the original MGS, how many of the bosses are tragic, sympathetidc characters? The only one I can think of is Wolf. Mantis comes close, but his was more just confessions than pity or sympathy. Raven I remember not being repentant or remorseful, Liquid hates you, Octopus dies early on, and Ocelot is well, Ocelot.

Also, about MGS4 and weapons:
    I found some fun in the sense of there is enough variety in the weapons that it was kind of fun to constatnly switch which weapons you would use. So once a chapter I like to switch up everything but the tranq gun, and try something new for fighting. It can be fun, and I ended up liking some guns more than I thought.
    Raven isn't repentant, but he basically claims that Snake is the real baddie. I really like the way a lot of bosses weren't really baddies, just soldiers who happened to have conflicting interests, and the B&B sort of ruined it by saying "these guys hate you just cause".

AnteCantelope on
    edited May 2010

I'm not sure we're playing the same game. Sure, there are only two people you can contact for the most part. But the amount of easter eggs and info dumping is the same as any other Metal Gear. You even find out important revealations about things like...
    How Vamp was able to run on water, background info on the PMCs, why FROGs disintegrate when killed etc.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited May 2010
    Igort wrote: »

What is this? What are you doing?

Conversing. I like Metal Gear Solid, the series. But no-one easily agrees on the best one- that's not a value judgement, that just seems to be the case. When the uberfans argue over Zelda, it's quickly to be noticed that some people can't stand the 2-D entries compared favourably to the latter 3-D ones. Moreoever, most have an opinion about the toon look of Windwaker versus the "realist" look of Twilight Princess.

For Metal Gear, for the purposes of this discussion (already on page 35), it can be noticed that besides the general argument over whether or not the progression in gameplay complexity is especially good, that some prefer the series at the point where the narrative made fewer or less imaginative stretches of reality. You might not even give a shit about my opinion, because it's also entirely fair, I suppose to disagree with any of the series being more tight knit, but I would say that the socio-political drama of the first has not been repeated but perhaps equaled in certain measure with the insane production of the sequel. The third one seems mostly just a send-up of itself, the series, action films in general. I liked the dark atmosphere and the sneaking of the first one, I'll say that's where the series was most enjoyable for me. Liquid Snake's unfolding tale of revenge didn't need a sequel, because I killed him at the suitably great end of the very first game.

And of course it's already been offered that there was never such a point to be found in the series.

To go back to what I said, friend, I liked Tarantino when he was making tighter, more restrained films in the nineties. I was very hesitent to watch Inglorious Bastards and I don't think, based on my experience of MGS3, I'd want to pick up even to play MGS4, which continues one of the most retarded plots ever fashioned onto a game disc.

atma on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I'm not sure we're playing the same game. Sure, there are only two people you can contact for the most part. But the amount of easter eggs and info dumping is the same as any other Metal Gear. You even find out important revealations about things like...
    How Vamp was able to run on water, background info on the PMCs, why FROGs disintegrate when killed etc.

my codec must of been bugged because i could never get any info like this.. you have to call them at certain points right? is there a list somewhere? would really like to listen to this info when i get to 4, currently doing a main story chronological run.

Deaderinred on
    edited May 2010
    This is just a partial list. Big spoilers obviously.
    After encountering the rats in the vents on Shadow Moses, call Otacon to hear Snake talk about how they helped him in MGS.

During the battle with Screaming Mantis, change the controller settings to another port to hear a Codec conversation between Snake and Otacon about Snake's inability to move.

Otacon has a story about virtually every room in Act 4 that Snake encountered in the original MGS. Sometimes you have to call him twice to hear it.

After you beat Crying Beauty, a pack of wolves will appear. If you hurt one of them and call Otacon, he will be disgusted.

In Act 3 kill the resistance members one by one and call Otacon each time and see how he goes nuts. Be warned, however, that doing this too many times will result in game over.

In Act 4 call Otacon before walking up to the hibernating Gekko. He will tell you that he's never seen this kind of operational mode from a Gekko. Next, walk up to it and let it jump up. Run away then call Otacon again. Snake will be suprised and say he almost had a heart attack. Then they will joke about the creator of the Gekko being a real bastard.

If you kill the ravens in one of the rooms that contains Dwarf Gekkos, Otacon will tell you to stop hurting them.

Shaking the controller during a call with Rose will cause her breasts to bounce, depending on how you shake the controller. (Grab one of the controller's handles and shake it.)

After defeating Crying Wolf, use CQC or shoot at one of the wolf dogs and call Rose. She will then tell Snake that Antisocial behavior and animal cruelty has been linked for a long time, and warns him that he will go through a thorough psychological evaluation if Snake ever tries to harm any animals again.

During the battle with Screaming Mantis, Campbell (through Rosemary's codec) calls Snake to tell him to change controllers like in MGS1. However, Rosemary then tells Campbell that it will not work.

While fighting Screaming Mantis, call Rosemary to hear Colonel Campbell's suggestion to shoot the Psycho Mantis bust.

If you call Rosemary several times, you will hear a funny story between Rose and Roy Campbell about how terrible Rosemary's food is.

Call Rose after you die and continue. Snake will tell Rose about how he keeps having dreams about dying. You can do this multiple times, and get different responses.

Call Rosemary too many times and she will ask Snake "What has gotten into you"?
    Each day you play the game, Rosemary wears different sweaters.

manwiththemachinegun on