As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy 'II' - What DOES Spoony Mean? (Ch10 - 5/17/10)

2»

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Even looking back at this inferior translation, Rydia's story still makes me :( everytime.

If only the rest of the game followed suit with the whole Redemption theme, instead of jumping the [strike]shark[/strike] moon whale.

I don't think that the moon bit was jumping the shark here. I mean, you were basically in hell before that. o_O

Also wasn't the sci-fi bit not just a recurring theme in the earlier FF's?

What really made me o_O about this game was what started with Kain.
    The implication of every character that leaves you for a short while to be dead. 3/4 of that beeing sacrifices. And then shortly before the end (nearly) everyone surviving everything.

I mean EVERYTHING.

The cid of this game is honestly the "chuck norris" of Final Fantasy with the whole
    bomb exploding beside him while jumping from an airship

See, I have no problem with the "sacrifices" made. The story took it to a particular extreme to tug at the player's heartstrings, but anyone who's played the game beyond the opening sequences is going to know "I can always use a Phoenix Down/Life Potion".

I watch my characters explode with Fire 3, get impaled by icicles with Ice 3, and eat several gigawatts of power with Lit 3, then take several meteors in the face. As long as one person survives - Phoenix Down!
    Tellah is allowed to die because I can understand using a "forbidden power" like Meteo coupled with his age and 90 maximum MP are a limit that he willingly exceeds.

Fast forward to FF7: Aeris' death is complete bullshit. You've been getting cut up for 15 or so hours at that point. But one stab and she's never coming back? Yeah, yeah, it's 10+ years old at this point, I know.

That's the power of the cutscene. It can giveth and taketh away whenever it likes. :)

PS: Please remember to use spoiler boxes for future game events, El.

PPS: You can talk openly about other games like FF7 though. I don't care. ;)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Cyrus106Cyrus106 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quick question, I understand that FFII became FFIV in translation or whatever, but that leaves me asking, what is FFIII? I've never ever seen it.

Cyrus106 on
  • Options
    SneezerSneezer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Diddn't all the FF's get put into proper order? like The American releases now coinnicide with the Japanese rellease

Sneezer on
    tmpphp0si07o.jpg
    Available for weddings, bar-mitzvahs and risings of the people against oppressive states.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cyrus106 wrote: »
    Quick question, I understand that FFII became FFIV in translation or whatever, but that leaves me asking, what is FFIII? I've never ever seen it.
    Sneezer wrote: »
    Diddn't all the FF's get put into proper order? like The American releases now coinnicide with the Japanese rellease

Here's how it went (in my opinion). Japan were producing Final Fantasy games quicker then they were translated. One explanation could be that the console-RPG genre wasn't exactly tried and true here in the States yet. By the time it was seen that actual money could be made off of this and Nintendo decided to port the first game over, Square had three in the bag already and were probably in the middle of making #4 for the new Super Famicom.

So Nintendo (and/or Square) had a dilemma. They could port FF2 and FF3 over, but they could end up not making as big a hit as the first game did, especially with FF2's love it or hate it 'leveling' system. FF4 on the other hand was a much more noticeable step up from the first game and was for a new system they wanted to sell. Slapping the proper title on it though would probably make players ask one too many questions. So they retitled it as FF-'II' and went on with that. FF6 would get the same treatment, getting labeled as FF-'III'.

Things finally got cleared up when by the time FF7 was pushed out the door (taking up a development span of three years), Square and Nintendo were no longer bosom-buddies, letting Square (and Sony) drop the naming blame on Nintendo and leave the game with the proper numbering.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Cyrus106Cyrus106 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Cyrus106 wrote: »
    Sneezer wrote: »

Here's how it went (in my opinion). Japan were producing Final Fantasy games quicker then they were translated. One explanation could be that the console-RPG genre wasn't exactly tried and true here in the States yet. By the time it was seen that actual money could be made off of this and Nintendo decided to port the first game over, Square had three in the bag already and were probably in the middle of making #4 for the new Super Famicom.

So Nintendo (and/or Square) had a dilemma. They could port FF2 and FF3 over, but they could end up not making as big a hit as the first game did, especially with FF2's love it or hate it 'leveling' system. FF4 on the other hand was a much more noticeable step up from the first game and was for a new system they wanted to sell. Slapping the proper title on it though would probably make players ask one too many questions. So they retitled it as FF-'II' and went on with that. FF6 would get the same treatment, getting labeled as FF-'III'.

Things finally got cleared up when by the time FF7 was pushed out the door (taking up a development span of three years), Square and Nintendo were no longer bosom-buddies, letting Square (and Sony) drop the naming blame on Nintendo and leave the game with the proper numbering.

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

Cyrus106 on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's the power of the cutscene. It can giveth and taketh away whenever it likes. :)

PS: Please remember to use spoiler boxes for future game events, El.

PPS: You can talk openly about other games like FF7 though. I don't care. ;)

Ah, crap, yeah. I totally forgot. This being an LP and all, spoilers for relevant story. Sorry.

I went ahead and spoiled the FF7 part too, for the one person interested in this thread who's never played FF7 and doesn't know what happens. :P

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh no, its waaaaaaaay simpler.

You do not mix story with gameplay....

YOU DO NEVER MIX STORY WITH GAMEPLAY

Because that usually results in really bad fourth wall breaking or plotholes.

Best examples therefore are the end of cd 1 of FFVIII and the following sentence which spawned hunderds of fan theories and just messes the story up.

Or that certain bit at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2. Though I still think Kojima had to be possesed by several mixed substances (Pun totally intended) when he wrote that ending.

Well at least these are the ones i remember most fondly.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Time for a new chapter. This might be the end of the two-fer per week since I need to start building back my chapter-buffer. This one's a little long too though it's not completely my fault as you'll see. :)

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 7: One-Harp Angel
    Last time...

ff2chapter6160.png

Cecil: Damn, they really improved their aim while I've been gone.

...a trip to Damcyan Castle to score a cure for a feverish Rosa ran into some snags in the form of all the monsters inhabiting an underground route, including an oversized and overly-suggestive octopus. The delays meant that Cecil, Rydia and their new friend Tellah made it out just in time to see the castle get bombed to pieces by the airships of Baron's Red Wings.

ff2chapter7004.png

The inside of the castle's looking just as hot as the outside. Well, hotter considering the fire-effects here and there.

ff2chapter7006.png

Chatting with one of the fallen guards reveals why Baron came. Not why they decided to forcibly redecorate the castle with a ton of TNT though.

ff2chapter7008.png

On the next to last floor, we find only one chest left unopened (giving us an extra Tent) and even more bodies.

ff2chapter7009.png

(He's-A-Goner) Soldier: P-please, if you can..
    Cecil: Hold on, I'll drag you up an-
    Tellah: Anna's not here! This way!
    Cecil: Hey, wait, stop pulling! What about this guy?!
    Soldier: No, don't go!

ff2chapter7013.png

Rydia: Cecil, is that man gonna be ok?
    Cecil: He will be, don't worry. Tellah..
    Tellah: Anna's here, I can sense her! Sh-

ff2chapter7014.png
    ff2chapter7015.png

Oh dear, it looks like Anna's a victim of both Baron and 70's/80's fashion trends. I'm not sure how this can get worse.

ff2chapter7016.png

Poncie: Oh God, oh God! My parents are dead! My people are dead! ANNA'S DEAD! How am I gonna explain this to...to...

ff2chapter7018.png

Ohhh, that's how.

ff2chapter7019.png
    ff2chapter7020.png

Tellah: Come over here, you bastard! I'm going to ruin you with my anger!
    Bard: Eeep!
    Cecil: Tellah, wait! Rydia, cover your ears and eyes like we practiced. Ear-muff, ear-muff!

ff2chapter7022.png

We're taken to the battle screen with Tellah coming out swinging right away.

ff2chapter7023.png
    ff2chapter7024.png

Rydia: Cecil, what's happening? I can still hear a lotta shouting.
    Cecil: I know. It's Tellah, he's upset.

ff2chapter7027.png
    ff2chapter7025.png

Cecil: 'Spoony'??
    Rydia: What? I can't hear you!

ff2chapter7026.png
    ff2chapter7027.png
    ff2chapter7030.png

Cecil: Eh. I think you can remove your hands and open your eyes, Rydia.
    Rydia: What?! Huh?!

ff2chapter7031.png
    ff2chapter7032.png

Rydia: Oh, that's better. Hey, who said that?

ff2chapter7033.png

Cecil: I think Anna did. She's not dead!

ff2chapter7035.png

Everyone gathers around Anna, the camera's focus on Cecil leaving things a bit off-center now.

Tellah: Are you all right?
    Anna: Father, Edward is the Prince of Damcyan. He was disguised as a Bard when he came to see me in Kaipo. Forgive me, Father, for running away. But, I love Edward. We thought of asking for your consent. But when we were about to leave...

ff2chapter7039.png

Cecil: But why?
    Edward: He took our Crystal of Fire. And Anna shielded me from the arrows.

ff2chapter7042.png

As Edward feels bad about his girlfriend having acted as his meatshield, I have to once again question Baron's attack plan here. It's true that the most likely course of action they took was that they raided the place, stole the Fire Crystal and then bombed the castle. It just seems like that last move was pretty much unnecessary seeing the death they brought to Damcyan to get to the Crystal in the first place.

To sum up, the after-theft bombing makes Baron, it's king and this new guy Golbez royal d***s.

ff2chapter7043.png
    ff2chapter7044.png

Not heard or texted: various death-rattles and gurgles coming from Anna.

ff2chapter7045.png

Sorry, the Beetlejuice spell wasn't implemented in the game.

ff2chapter7047.png

I know his daughter was dying and all, but come on, Tellah. Pay attention.

ff2chapter7048.png

Cecil: Hmph. He better be keeping his hands off of my peanuts.
    Tellah: Stop crying! Your tears won't bring back Anna. Wait for me Golbez! I'm coming to avenge my daughter!

ff2chapter7053.png

Cecil cuts off Tellah, knowing that if the old Sage couldn't beat the game's requisite tentacle-monster by himself, he's not going to do any better against a guy who has his own airship fleet.

ff2chapter7055.png
    ff2chapter7057.png
    ff2chapter7058.png

Tellah's not taking any sass from any young whippersnappers however and bops Cecil by magic. Has to be what with his lack of Staff-connects on Edward earlier.

ff2chapter7060.png

Cecil: Well fine! You can kill the next plot device from a hentai story yourself!

ff2chapter7062.png

Oh for Pete's sake, is he still going on over her?

ff2chapter7063.png
    ff2chapter7065.png

Cecil: All this death around her. If I knew what would have happened, I would have never brought Rydia here. Perhaps it's not all bad though. She knows more or less how the Prince feels. If anyone can help him through his grief, it could be her.

ff2chapter7066.png
    ff2chapter7067.png

Cecil: ..then again..
    Rydia: You are a man! You are a grown-up! You are not the only one who has lost loved ones.
    Cecil: Rydia...

ff2chapter7071.png
    ff2chapter7073.png

Cecil: Oh, to hell with that!

ff2chapter7075.png
    ff2chapter7076.png

Cecil tries his own version of tough love via a metal-covered smack upside the head.

Cecil: You're not the only one who is sad, Edward. Besides, Anna won't be happy if you do that. We really need your help. Please come with us.
    Edward: My help...?
    Cecil: I am Cecil. I'm looking for the SandRuby to help my friend who is ill in Kaipo. And I need your help!
    Edward: I...? Help you...?
    Cecil: Yes. You.

ff2chapter7083.png
    ff2chapter7084.png

Wait wait wait. The SandRuby is...it's Antlion-afterbirth? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww... >.<

Edward: The cave is in the east, but we must go across shallows to get there. There is the Hovercraft in Damcyan we can use. We can also go to Kaipo through the shallows!

ff2chapter7089.png
    ff2chapter7090.png

Sorry, there's no Prince class. Princess yes, but no Prince.

gilbertdsa.png

So now we've got Edward (Gilbert in Japan) Chris von Muir on the team. Before FF7 would personify the term 'Bishōnen' with it's villain, Edward set the standard for the series. To see if we got the better side of the trade or if someone has to get his throat punched by the monkey bars during recess will have to wait until we get Edward into battle.

ff2chapter7091.png

First, we gotta leave Damcyan Castle.

ff2chapter7093.png
    ff2chapter7094.png
    ff2chapter7096.png
    ff2chapter7add1.png

Ok, we're not really leaving yet.

ff2chapter7109.png
    ff2chapter7110.png

Going back up to the last floor allows us to visit that 'pot of recovery' that was mentioned by the now-poofed-out guard. The old folks by it mention once again how you can use the Hovercraft to get back to Kaipo if you button-mashed through the last of the scene above. They also mention that a path through a mountain called Mt. Hobs is blocked off by ice.

ff2chapter7113.png

The right pot does what the left didn't and restores MP. This makes the ruined castle a nice free place to rest up.

ff2chapter7114.png
    ff2chapter7116.png
    ff2chapter7118.png

Walking around the right side of the castle allows us access to a treasure-room untouched by Baron's forces.

ff2chapter7123.png

Some of the loot involves more secret passages through walls.

ff2chapter7126.png

While the rest is just a walk down to a lower level.

ff2chapter7099.png
    ff2chapter7103.png

Right, we're finally out. And we've got our first ride for the game, Damcyan's Hovercraft.

HovercraftArt.jpg

This sweet FF4/'II'-only ride will keep us safe from monsters while we're using it on the world-map.

ff2chapter7129.png
    ff2chapter7130.png

It's specialty as mentioned before involves going through shallow water, as indicated by all these rocks in the ocean. Heading northeast through them and then southeast a bit leads us to the entrance of dungeon #3.

ff2chapter7131.png

The Antlion's Den/Cave/Hill is a three-floor location, with each floor being nice and roomy.

ff2chapter7141.png

Probably my only complaint about the place is that the save-point is in a room on the first floor, blocked off by wall. We'll have to use an alternate stairway on the second floor to get to it.

ff2chapter7132.png

Well, let's get to our first fight and see how well Edward does. The new enemy in the back is called a Basilisk. Not much to speak of really.

ff2chapter7133.png

These are our options when Edward's up to bat.

ff2chapter7135.png
    ff2chapter7136.png

Edward's Sing ability allows him to use music to drop one of a few random status effects on a targeted enemy. Here, 'Lullaby...' means nap-time. It doesn't always work however, even on those vulnerable to it.

ff2chapter7127.png

It's said that Edward's currently-equipped Harp plays a role in what kind of song pops up mostly. As you can see, he's sporting the Dreamer (Dream) Harp.

ff2chapter7137.png

His regular attack with his harp tends to look like this. Mind you, with the attack-power seen in the previous screenshot, he's not going to be one-shot killing much at all other then these Imps.

ff2chapter7148.png

But attacking with the Dreamer directly WILL put enemies to sleep. Sometimes.

ff2chapter7144.png
    ff2chapter7146.png

In another fight with the same enemy group, Edward puts Hide into action. This lets him duck out of the fight until his turn comes around again, letting you use Show to bring him back. Hide also automatically kicks in when Edward's HP falls too low after one too many slaps to the face.

So, how does Edward fare as a party member? Well, saying he's the worst party-character in the game wouldn't be TOO much of a stretch. However, he's not complete suck. And the II-Translation did take a bat to his battle-menu too, taking away an ability called 'Heal'. That would have allowed him to use a bottle of Cure1 on everyone, spitting the HP-gain depending on how many are in the party.

ff2chapter7142.png

Let's go back to the enemy roll-call for now. Here we have the Cream (Yellow Jelly). Once more the color marks it's weakness, with Lit-1 zapping them to dust.

ff2chapter7149.png

With the Basilisk this time is a Turtle (Adamantoise) who drops nicely after a blast from Rydia's Ice Rod and a Weeper (Leshy).

ff2chapter7151.png

The Weeper gives us a chance to see another of Edward's Sings, Song Of Silence, come into play.

ff2chapter7157.png

A room on the second floor nets us the Charm (Lamia) harp, an upgrade for Edward that doubles his attack-power and randomly hits enemies with the Confuse status, making them hit themselves or their friends. And yes, I know this means the chapter's title doesn't quite fit now that Edward has two harps. Shut up.

ff2chapter7160.png

The other notable part of the second floor is a secret passage that leads from one end to the other. No goodies to be found sadly.

ff2chapter7161.png
    ff2chapter7162.png
    ff2chapter7163.png

As mentioned before, we can get to the save-point through an alternate stairway through the second floor. The room also has some treats to those who can hack, freeze and strum their way to it.

ff2chapter7165.png

With our progress saved, it's time for business on the third floor, a circular chamber with stairs leading down to the middle.

ff2chapter7166.png
    ff2chapter7167.png

The Antlion confirms Prince Mapquest's assessment by popping part of itself up from the ground. What body part that's supposed to be, I reaaaaalllllly don't wanna know.

ff2chapter7168.png

Cecil: Yeah, no problem there. My personal need to hold a SandRuby dipped after you told me what it really is.

ff2chapter7170.png
    ff2chapter7171.png
    ff2chapter7172.png

Predictably, the Antlion's not very willing to have anyone go grabby-grabby by it's privates. Only Edward's decision to take up dance rather then fencing saves his life.

ff2chapter7176.png

Rydia: We're not gonna...?
    Cecil: No no, we're killing it. Not what Edward tried to do.
    Rydia: Oh good!

ff2chapter7178.png

Say hey to our third boss, the Antlion. Thanks to it misinterpreting Edward's acts as sexual harassment, this momma with a face no child could love brings out the nasty whenever it takes a hit.

ff2chapter7180.png

Said nasty being a move called Counter, which gives someone some serious piercings with giant spikes. Worse, the Antlion doesn't really care who hit it originally as the Counter attack picks one of our three heroes at random.

...what? What did you think I meant when I said 'bring out the nasty'? Hmph. Perverts. The whole lot of you.

ff2chapter7182.png

The one sure-fire way to attack and avoid any Counter-hits is with Rydia's Chocobo, which doesn't set off the boss' tramatized feelings like Cecil's sword or Edward's notes do. The Chocobo is pretty damaging too with it knocking off around 200 HP from the Antlion's 1100 max-HP. With the Antlion's regular attack much less powerful then Counter, the suggested course is girl-on-girl action while the guys Parry and watch.

...you're thinking dirty thoughts again, aren't you.

ff2chapter7188.png

With the Antlion put down, we can recover Rosa's cure from the carcass.

ff2chapter7189.png

Cecil: Tame creatures are getting aggressive day by day. It must be a portent of some kind...
    Rydia: Let's go cure Rosa!
    Cecil: Oh, yes.

ff2chapter7192.png

And with that, we wrap up another chapter.

Next tim-

Rydia: I wanna use one of my new spells!

ff2chapter7193.png

Huh? W-wait a second!

ff2chapter7194.png

Erf, ok, ok. For those wondering what happened, Warp is a Black-magic spell that lets you instantly zap back to the floor's entrance. It's a great way to exit a dungeon as long as you didn't use alternate entrances like I did to get to the save-point on the first floor. Otherwise it brings you there rather then the floor's proper exit.

ff2chapter7196.png

On my now long walk up to the surface, I ran across an enemy we'll see more of past Mt. Hobs, Imp Cap(ains) (Domovoi). I wouldn't make much mention about it or the Imps we fought but...

ff2chapter7197.png

Rydia: Hey, what did they drop? Oooo, gimme, gimme, gimmie!
    Cecil: What? This orb?

ff2chapter7198.png

Rydia: Yay! I wanted this since Gary showed it to me! Jerk wouldn't trade!

Ok, when I said Chocobo was Rydia's only monster for now in the last chapter, that was kind of a fib. But only because scoring this item is really super-duper rare. See, there's three or four monsters in the game that drop these orbs. You can use them while Rydia in the party, letting her learn how to bring out the monster that dropped the orb for an attack.

Ffta-h-bluemage.jpg

While not officially said, I like to think that these rare summoned monsters are the inspiration for Blue Magic, a FF-staple that first appears in FF5 and that lets you use special attacks from monsters after they're used on you first.

ff2chapter7199.png

At any rate, we're out of the Antlion's place. Time to end this abuse of bandwidth.

Next time: A new spell, a new friend, and a new way to sound out a karate chop.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bah, my editing and pacing skills are indeed quite poor. Anyway, enjoy the update!

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 8: Five Sneezes Of Death
    Last time, Cecil lost Tellah due to death of daughter. He gained however a new ride (a hot-rod Hovercraft), a cure for Rosa's fever (which turned out to be an icky, icky byproduct of a monster's egg-laying), and most importantly an Edward (harp-slinging Prince of the now wrecked Damcyan Castle).

ff2chapter8001.png
    ff2chapter8002.png
    ff2chapter8003.png

So we vrooom/whoosh/Hovercraft-appropriate-noise past Damcyan and groove south along the west coast to get to Kaipo...

ff2chapter8004.png

...and beeline right back to the house Rosa's in.

ff2chapter8006.png

Checking on Rosa's prone form brings up a mini inventory-window, letting us pick out the SandRuby to use it on her.

ff2chapter8009.png

Edward and Rydia take positions around the bed as the cure's used. Best not to think exactly HOW.

ff2chapter8010.png

Sprite-change. It works!

ff2chapter8012.png

Cecil: ...you're awake. Thank God! I was going nuts trying to figure out how you got here!
    Rosa: I heard that you were lost since the earthquake at Mist. But I couldn't believe it.

ff2chapter8014.png

Cecil: I mean, you're here and safe but...he hasn't touched my stash, has he?
    Rosa: The King invited him to the Red Wings. The King is not the same as he used to be. It seems he is nothing more then Golbez's puppet to collect all the crystals. The Crystal of Water from Mysidia is already in his hands. But other crystals...
    Cecil: That's great, but what about my airship-peanuts? Tell me my 'nuts are safe from evil hands!

ff2chapter8018.png

Rosa's exposition gives us a final list of which Crystal comes from where, even though we knew about Mysidia's and Damcyan's already. The Air Crystal was also hinted at if you bothered to talk to the NPC(s) who've bothered to mention Fabul directly or about it's blocked-off route via Mt. Hobs.

ff2chapter8020.png

Edward pipes in at this point to give a sad verbal-checkmark on Baron's shopping list.

Cecil: He is Edward, the Prince of Damcyan. And this girl, Rydia of Mist.
    Rydia: You okay?
    Rosa: Yes. Thank you. Damcyan has already been attacked.

ff2chapter8023.png
    ff2chapter8025.png

Cecil: Don't make me have to get another SandRuby. Seriously, don't. I'm going to have nightmares for a month thanks to seeing where we got the first one.
    Edward: But we must get over Mt. Hobs to go to Fabul. The trail is blocked by thick ice.

ff2chapter8027.png
    ff2chapter8028.png

Nice, Rosa. Way to bring up her lack of proper schooling.

ff2chapter8029.png

See? Karma.

ff2chapter8030.png
    ff2chapter8031.png

Rosa: What? What does that mean? Why are you so quiet?
    Cecil: Uhhh...errr...

ff2chapter8033.png

Cecil: Yeah, yeah...
    Edward: If I were in the same position with Anna, I'd bring her along right away.
    Cecil: Pffft. It's easy to say that seeing she's DEAD and all.

ff2chapter8032.png
    ff2chapter8032.png
    ff2chapter8032.png

Edward: Sniff...sniffle...
    Rosa: Cecil!
    Cecil: Oh crap, did I say that out loud?

ff2chapter8034.png
    ff2chapter8035.png
    ff2chapter8036.png

Alright, we got a four person party now. Things are shaping up!

ff2chapter8038.png

There's some business to attend to first before we get to anything with our now-bigger group though.

ff2chapter8039.png
    ff2chapter8040.png

Said business involving Edward by himself while everyone else is snoozing away.

ff2chapter8041.png
    ff2chapter8042.png

Relax, folks. Despite how attached he is to his dead girlfriend, we won't be seeing anything silly like him drowning himself. Too bad for any of you Edward-haters.

ff2chapter8044.png

Rather, Edward breaks out his harp for some soul-soothing. The song being played happens to be considered as his theme... ...AKA Melody Of Lute.

If you want to hear it played on actual instruments, you can check out the box below.

ff2chapter8045.png
    ff2chapter8046.png

(Generic) Monster (Sprite): Forget about that ho. I'm the real deal.

ff2chapter8047.png

Edward: What? Oh no, not you! I told you already that I've got a girlfriend! And a restraining order!!
    Monster: Heh, she's not here anymore though. No girl, no order. Now come on, let me show you what you've been missing.

ff2chapter8048.png

Edward: You can't do this to me! I'm a Prince-in-grieving! Help! Date-rape, date-rape!

ff2chapter8049.png

Yep, it's a solo fight between Edward and a Waterhag. Not a difficult fight really.

ff2chapter8052.png

Edward's not quite alone either as a certain someone flickers in.

ff2chapter8053.png
    ff2chapter8054.png

Waterhag: What?! You're supposed to be dead, b$%^#!

ff2chapter8055.png

Anna: Make that ugly face of her's uglier then her momma's!

ff2chapter8056.png
    ff2chapter8057.png

As you can see, Edward can actually belt out some decent hits in this fight, making him look pretty good in the process.

ff2chapter8058.png
    ff2chapter8059.png

Yeah, I could make a Gurren Lagann joke here, but I'll take the high road for now. If anyone wants to send in artwork of Anna dressed EXACTLY like Kamina though, I won't stop you. ;)

ff2chapter8060.png

This thwarted cry comes from the Waterhag herself, dropped before she can properly pounce on poor Edward. The end of the fight comes with a hefty chunk of experience, often leveling up Edward since he doesn't have to split it with anyone else.

ff2chapter8062.png

With the fight over, Anna pops back briefly for one last tender moment with her bishifriend.

Edward: Anna!
    Anna: Edward, dear...I must go now.
    Edward: Anna! Don't go! Don't leave me alone!

ff2chapter8065.png

Anna: Edward...... Do not let Golbez have all the crystals. You loved me. Now, give your love to all of your people.
    Edward: But there's only those two old people left at the castle.
    Anna: Oh...um...well fix the castle, get some new servants and love them or something like that. Look, I have to go. They only gave me a few minutes to come back and I need to go talk to my dad before they're all gone. So Iloveyoudon'tkillyourselfbye!

ff2chapter8069.png
    ff2chapter8070.png

We end the scene with a still conflicted Edward trying to decipher Anna's clearly defined answer.

ff2chapter8073.png
    ff2chapter8074.png

The next morning, we back in control of the whole party. These two NPCs change what they say now that Rosa's no longer taking up their only bed. As for the old guy's comments, I assume it's more of a 'hope to see you again' comment rather then a 'free resting spot here' notice. I never really swung by Kaipo again after this in previous runs in the game.

ff2chapter8077.png
    ff2chapter8078.png

As befitting her greater emphasis on being a White Mage, Rosa's not one for being a heavy-duty fighter. We can improve her attack power though by swapping out her original bow for a Crossbow we picked up in Damcyan's basement. We also pass by Kaipo's weapon shop to pick up enough Iron Arrows to max out her 99-arrow limit.

The White (Holy) Arrows by the way are the first elemental arrows you can find. A bit more powerful then Iron and works well against anything weak to 'White', like undead enemies. I'd rather save them for later though since we can't buy any replacements yet.

ff2chapter8075.png

The game automatically places Rosa in the first available slot in the party-roster, requiring thus a little reworking with Form and Change.

ff2chapter8076.png

This is what you ought to have formation-wise before hitting the next area. Note that Rydia's max-MP already exceeds Tellah's and Rosa's getting close as well.

ff2chapter8081.png

Go east, young player. We cruise back to Damcyan on the Hovercraft and go north past the Antlion Cave to Mt. Hobs' western entrance. Take a good look at the Hovercraft as we won't be using or seeing it again for quite a while.

ff2chapter8082.png

Welcome to Mt. Hobs. This outdoor dungeon's pretty straight-forward, only offering one side-area off the mostly linear path.

ff2chapter8083.png

Before we can properly enter though, we'll need to get rid of the previously mentioned ice-roadblock.

ff2chapter8084.png

Rosa: Hmmm. Yep, they're cold alright. I'm back to 100% health.
    Cecil: Turn around, turn around, turnaroundturnaroundturnaround...

ff2chapter8085.png
    ff2chapter8086.png

Ooops. Looks like Rosa's gonna need a Badge or two more before Rydia will obey.

ff2chapter8087.png
    ff2chapter8088.png

Cecil: Hate fire? What..?

ff2chapter8add1.png
    ff2chapter8add2.png

Cecil: Ohhh right...that.

ff2chapter8089.png

Cecil: A fire set off by flying Bombs. Not that I know anything about them.
    Rydia: B-but didn't you say they came out of your Pa-
    Cecil: No I didn't! I don't know those Bombs. Not even Gary!

ff2chapter8091.png

Cecil: ...not my smoothest recovery, huh.
    Rosa: No, it's not.

ff2chapter8093.png

Rosa: If we can't get through here to Fabul, more people will be in danger......
    Edward: Please...
    Cecil:......
    Rydia:......

ff2chapter8096.png

I can only assume this nameless ellipses belongs to us. If we emphasize our silence loud enough and believe in her, Rydia will cast Fire. It's a little known deviation of the Peter Pan Healing Treatment.

ff2chapter8097.png
    ff2chapter8098.png
    ff2chapter8100.png

Rydia lets her inner pyromaniac cut loose, utilizing a type of control sadly not available for fights.

ff2chapter8102.png

And the game makes sure you know that Rydia's learned a new spell for those who decided to go get a snack during the ice-melting.

ff2chapter8104.png
    ff2chapter8105.png

Cecil: I really hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the butt later. No flaming teeth please.

ff2chapter8106.png

Back in control, it's time to move on up to the east-side. Apartments or pie might not be there.

ff2chapter8108.png

Right off the bat, we get to deal with Bombs, a classic FF enemy that made it's first appearance in FF2 and are usually vulnerable to Ice spells.

You can also see Rosa's battle-menu. Aim lets her get a better, more powerful hit with her arrows at the cost of a few extra seconds between the command's confirmation and her actually doing it.

ff2chapter8111.png

Mind you, the damage isn't a lot at first but it'll improve as she gets her hands on better Bows and Arrows. And if you were thinking about it, the answer's yes, she did lose a little something thanks to the II-Translation. In her case, it's the Pray command, which would let her cast basically a free Cure1. I suppose it was felt by Nintendo or Square that if impressionable kids saw Pray in action, they'd start jumping off of roofs or stabbing themselves, asking God to heal their injuries right after.

ff2chapter8113.png

And speaking of kids, it's time for Rydia to use her new summon!

ff2chapter8114.png

There she goes!

ff2chapter8115.png

Stabbin' time! This oughta be..

ff2chapter8117.png

...no good? Bleah. Talk about getting what you cast for.

ff2chapter8118.png

Not far up the path, we're offered a choice of two areas to explore.

ff2chapter8119.png

Taking the left entrance leads to the side-area I mentioned, sporting chests to loot and points to save. It's a good place to level up if you got a Tent or two to spare.

ff2chapter8121.png

One of the enemies you can score those oh-so-needed experience points is the Bomb's bro, the GreyBomb. This family throwdown isn't much to worry about...

ff2chapter8122.png
    ff2chapter8123.png

...unless they decide to use their 'Screw you!' attack, Explode (Exploder), killing themselves off to inflict some third-degree burns on the party like poor Edward here. No need for him to do any eyebrow-plucking in the near future.

ff2chapter8124.png

You can also run across a flock of Cocktric (Cockatrice). They're unique in that their weakness isn't spell-related.

ff2chapter8125.png

Rather it's Rosa's arrows. An Aim-based hit tends to deal a much more serious blow to this enemy then spells or slashes.

ff2chapter8126.png

They also don't take very well to getting hit with their own Beak attack, seen here thanks to Edward charming the last Cocktric with his regular attack. Beak causes an instant version of Break (Petrify), a FF-status which turns someone into stone. Instant death in this case.

ff2chapter8128.png

While heading back to Hobs' entrance-floor and over to the main path, we run across Spirits and Skeletons. While both are counted as undead, they can take some actual damage from Cecil's Dark Sword, unlike Zombies. In the case of the Spirits, it's actually needed as they've got proper magic defense against most spells.

ff2chapter8130.png

Yep, it's all downhill from here.

ff2chapter8132.png

Ok, not downhill yet. Don't lynch me!

ff2chapter8134.png
    ff2chapter8136.png

Edward: He must be a Karate Fighter of Fabul!

ff2chapter8138.png

Rydia: Cecil, is he sick? That's the loudest sneeze I ever heard!

ff2chapter8139.png
    ff2chapter8141.png

Cecil: No...no no. I think that was a battle cry.

ff2chapter8138.png

Cecil: Mind you, that's the weirdest battle cry I've ever heard in a fight.

ff2chapter8142.png
    ff2chapter8144.png

Edward: Hmmm. Fabul IS responsible for taking care of the Air Crystal. Perhaps it's a tribute to that.

ff2chapter8145.png
    ff2chapter8147.png

Rosa: Er, Cecil?
    Cecil: Wait a second, Rosa. Edward, how could a sneeze be a tribute to a magical crystal?

ff2chapter8148.png
    ff2chapter8149.png

Edward: Well a sneeze can expel air at a speed of 95 to 650 miles per hour.
    Cecil: Really? Wow, I did not know that!
    Rosa: Cecil, Edward, I think..
    Edward: Damcyan Castle has a good medical trivia section in it's library. It HAD, anyway..

ff2chapter8150.png

Cecil: Heh, I bet Cid would love to hear about that. The air-speed I mean. Not the burning down of your library.
    Rydia: EDWARD! CECIL!!
    Cecil: Ah! What is it, Rydia?

ff2chapter8151.png

Rosa: Look!
    Cecil: Huh? Oh!

ff2chapter8152.png
    ff2chapter8153.png

Cecil: You need to tell us about these things sooner, Rydia.
    Rosa: ...staying in that bed in Kaipo's starting to look better and better.
    Rydia: Yeah.

ff2chapter8154.png

Hey-hey-hey! It's Mt. Hobs' boss, MomBomb. She looks like a plain old Bomb but she's got a mother of a HP-count compared to them.

ff2chapter8155.png

Our glowing new friend here is Yang. As you can see by his fight-menu and from what you saw him do before, he's got a Kick attack that spreads some physical damage to a whole party of monsters. No need to use it right now since there's just one boss. Regular attacks with healing done by Rosa (and Rydia if needed) will work.

ff2chapter8156.png

After dropping a serious chunk of HP-change out from MomBomb though, she turns this darker shade of red...

ff2chapter8157.png

...before she blows up into this shape.

ff2chapter8158.png

Speaking of inflating too far, it's time to heal up everyone that's hurt bad when you see this. This means she's about to go boom in around a minute.

ff2chapter8159.png

Just.

ff2chapter8161.png

Like.

ff2chapter8163.png

So.

ff2chapter8164.png

Popping like the nitro-filled balloon that she is, she leaves us with a mixed group of Bombs and GreyBombs. Won't be the last time we see something like this in a boss fight by the way.

ff2chapter8165.png

NOW is the time to break out Kick. It takes a while for Yang to actually do it mind you. Longer then Rosa's Aim I believe.

ff2chapter8169.png

With the Bomb baddies beaten, Yang gives everyone a bow and a proper introduction, proving Edward's guess about his job correct.

Yang: We were training when they attacked us.
    Cecil: We're on our way to Fabul.

ff2chapter8171.png

I love it how Rosa's determined to establish what's just a theory on her part as solid fact.

ff2chapter8173.png

Edward: No doubt. Damcyan was already attacked and had the crystal taken away.
    Cecil: Fabul is next!

Cecil: It has to be. Rosa's the only one who's mentioned Toroia at all so far!
    Yang: But...! We are now helpless. I am the only survivor of our main forces. Those in the castle have just started on their training!

ff2chapter8178.png

Ok, it's a good plan of sorts. Except all we've heard so far is that Golbez's running the Red Wings if not Baron itself. For all we know, it was just a bad concentration of monsters that got Yang's friends. And speaking of them, how big and experienced an army did Fabul have if all of the veterans got up and killed like this?

ff2chapter8180.png

Cecil: I mean, we'll probably have time to get there. Time to buy new stuff and rest. Maybe chat with everyone in the castle and kill a few monsters outside for extra gold, but after all of that the hammer's surely coming down! We gotta help!

ff2chapter8185.png

Edward: I am the Prince of Damcyan.
    Cecil: Rosa and I were in Baron.

ff2chapter8187.png
    ff2chapter8188.png

Is Rydia quiet due to bad memories or hearing incomplete sentences? You decide!

Yang: You have your own reasons, I see. Would you help me then?
    Cecil: Of course!
    Yang: Fabul is to the east over the mountain. Let us go!

ff2chapter8191.png

Yes, a complete party at last!

yangdsa.png

Yang Fang Leiden (try to say that three times fast) is a Karate Fighter, AKA a Monk. Monks in Final Fantasy are known as bare-fisted fighters who tend to crack skulls better then most of the other physical-attack classes but tend to be pretty vulnerable due to their tendency to wear light armor.

The II-Translation also got to Yang by taking away Power (Focus) and Gird (Brace). Power would have let Yang stew for a bit before hitting the enemy with a blow twice his normal strength while Gird would make him spend a turn taking attacks with a higher damage-reduction that he wouldn't have using Parry.

ff2chapter8192.png

Before moving a step towards Hobs' eastern exit, we check on Yang's equipment. He did pretty well against MomBomb and the other enemies considering that's how he's dressed at the time. Claws are a regular weapon for FF-Monks though Yang's only using one for some bizarre reason. If he had one on each hand, he'd be able to hit an enemy twice in one go. He gets a Cap and a RubyRing from my packrat-inventory which should be fine until we get to Fabul.

ff2chapter8193.png
    ff2chapter8195.png
    ff2chapter8196.png

From the Summit's northern door/tunnel, it's a straight run south Hobs' east-side and back onto the world-map. No pie indeed.

ff2chapter8197.png

The journey to Fabul is a long (without the Hovercraft) walk through a forested strip of land, forcing the party to fight Imp Caps and Needlers (Gatlinghogs). Needlers work much like Swordrats, tossing needles for their attacks.

ff2chapter8201.png

The party reaches Fabul soon enough. And it's looking unbombed. Which means this is as good a place as any to pause for now.

Next time: The defense of Fabul causes a blast from the past in more ways then one.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah, Achooo. Son of Asniz, I believe.

:)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Still good stuff so far.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I need to play this game again. Maybe after I'm done with my current play through of FF6.

I'm pretty sure I've got it somewhere for my DS.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    One of my favourite sections of the game is coming up. *squee*

El Fantastico on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    God I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll probably make an update this Monday and maybe toss in a small bonus as well.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's Monday, so it's time for an update!

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 9: Frantic Fighting At Fabul
    ff2chapter9001.png

Last time, Rydia and Edward were introduced to Cecil's girlfriend, Rosa, after she was cured of her fever. Edward was introduced to a stalker-monster. Rydia was introduced to the Fire1-spell at Mt Hobs. The party was introduced to Yang, Fabul's top Monk. Yang introduced his feet to a bunch of monsters. And now the party plan to introduce themselves to Fabul before Goblez does.

ff2chapter9003.png

Right away, the guards express how happy they are to see Yang return. Curiously, these guys up front don't question why Yang didn't come back with the army of men he left with.

ff2chapter9006.png

Fabul is pretty much castle and town mixed together, thus explaining why there's an inn and weapon-shop in the main hall.

ff2chapter9008.png

Anyway, we're in no real rush to talk to the king, so let's see if we can pick up some new kip.

ff2chapter9009.png

Yesss, sweet new Black (Demon) gear for Cecil. Note that it's not a complete set purchase-wise. Hopefully the missing shield and sword should be around somewhere. I buy what's being offered as well as enough Claws so that Yang has two of each. Now he can lay down some proper smack on enemies. For now, I keep his FireClaw on and fit his open mitt with an IceClaw for some nice synergy.

ff2chapter9013.png
    ff2chapter9014.png

The left side of the main hall houses not just the inn but Fabul's item shop as well. No real need to use either facility here unless you're running low on healing supplies or health in general.

ff2chapter9015.png

The guards at the entrance of the inner hall notice Fabul's deficiency of bald sneezing men. No chance of swapping them for those eagle-eyed soldiers at the front gate though.

ff2chapter9018.png

Yang: Men!
    Guard: Sir Yang!
    Yang: Keep on watch! I must inform His Majesty about an upcoming invasion!
    Guard: But sir, your wife wanted us to let her know when you had arrived. She...she had her pan with her, sir.
    Yang: The frying pan...outside of the kitchen. My God. Thank you for letting me know!

ff2chapter9019.png

Cecil: Er, Yang, why do we have to visit your wife first? Baron's coming for the Crystal!
    Yang: Let me put it to you like this: I wouldn't be in charge of Fabul's forces, much less be part of the party if my wife didn't perfer cooking.

ff2chapter9020.png

Before averting some domestic violence, there's a couple of floors in the left tower to look at first. The first floor is a storeroom with some free items.

ff2chapter9021.png

Next is the castle's hospital, complete with a White Mage and Namingway. Sleepy, sleepy bunny.

ff2chapter9023.png

Yang: Here we are. Let me do the talking.

ff2chapter9026.png

Yang's Wife: Thanks!
    Yang: Now dear, we may have some action happening at the castle.
    Yang's Wife: Oh? Trouble, is it? I'll help out then! Where did I leave that spatula?
    Yang NO! I mean, no no, it's nothing major. Just keep an eye on the ward below in case anyone needs some help.
    Yang's Wife: Oh, alright.

ff2chapter9030.png

Right, time to check out the right tower before going right to the King.

ff2chapter9033.png

Something tells me he won't be much help when the Red Wings come on by.

ff2chapter9037.png

The second floor holds the castle's bar. Good to know the local drunk feels secure.

ff2chapter9043.png

The bar also has the local dancer. Sure this'll be..

ff2chapter9045.png

Dancer: Keep your eyes on me, sugar.

ff2chapter9046.png

Cecil: AHHH! My brain...contaminated!
    (Possibly Inebriated) Kid: Hey!

ff2chapter9048.png
    ff2chapter9052.png
    ff2chapter9054.png

Poor Cecil's subjected to 20-30 seconds of our special dancer shaking 'her' groove thing all over the bar..

ff2chapter9063.png
    ff2chapter9064.png

...before stuffing 'herself' back into a dress instantly. And yes......they have this in the DS version of the game.

ff2chapter9068.png

The last floor of the tower is where the King hangs his crown up after a busy day. Seems to be an interesting choice of floor-planning with the bar sandwiched between the king's place and the army's barracks. Is this a subtle hint towards Drunken Master fighting or just Fabul being a group of alcoholics?

ff2chapter9073.png

Well, enough of the tour. Time to visit the King!

ff2chapter9074.png

King Of Fabul: Why were you so late getting back? Your wife was out with her pan asking about you, you know.
    Yang: I know, sire..
    King Of Fabul: I mean, that woman's scary enough when her hands are empty.
    Yang: Yes, Your Majesty, but..
    King Of Fabul: I had to go hide in the Crystal Room when she came nearby!

ff2chapter9075.png

Yang: The one called Golbez is behind this attempt.
    King Of Fabul: Truly!?
    Yang: These people here came to let us know.
    King Of Fabul: Who...are these people?
    I thought your wife was coming in and my glasses broke when I ran and now I can't see too well. Is...is that a midget wearing a green hat?
    Rydia: Hey!

ff2chapter9079.png

King Of Fabul: But you're a Dark Knight of Baron. Can I really trust you?
    Yang: King! They are trustworthy! They came to my defence when I was attacked.
    Cecil: Not a moment is to be lost!
    Rosa: There is no time!

ff2chapter9084.png

Fabul's King still hesitates for a second, prompting Edward to contribute with one of the biggest weapons one can have in a game within this setting: his royal clout, presented here in it's entirety.

ff2chapter9085.png
    ff2chapter9086.png
    ff2chapter9087.png

Nice touch by the II-Translation here, making Anna sound more like a lifelong pal rather then the dead fiancee Edward sheds a tear or two over now and then.

ff2chapter9089.png

Still, it works as the King's ready to let the party help. Now you actually do have a choice here depending on how ready you are.

ff2chapter9090.png

Saying 'No' gives you this slight bit of guilt and has the party automatically leave the room. A maddening action if you're like me and know about the secret treasure in here. Reentering is worse as you gotta go through the WHOLE cutscene again, making it look like the King's got a case of Alzheimer's or something.

ff2chapter9092.png

Saying 'Yes' prompts Yang to speak up instead of the King.

King Of Fabul: Very well! I leave the matter in your hands!
    Yang: Thank you, Your Majesty!

ff2chapter9096.png

King Of Fabul: Wait, wait a second!

ff2chapter9084.png

Yang: King!
    King Of Fabul: When you say 'all outstanding combatants', do you mean those two over there as well?
    Yang: What? Rosa and Rydia? Of course they can fight!
    Cecil: Rosa is a master of both the bow and White Magic and Rydia's a Caller from Mist.
    Rydia: I made new mountains!
    King Of Fabul: ...

ff2chapter9094.png
    ff2chapter9098.png

And with that personal fear of the King's soothed, Cecil's off to war once more.

ff2chapter9100.png
    ff2chapter9102.png

Which in turn prompts a moment repeated probably more then once at Baron.

ff2chapter9104.png
    ff2chapter9105.png

Rydia: Don't worry! I'll take care of Rosa!
    Rosa: Cecil...
    Cecil: Don't worry. I've faced worse odds and won. Like the time I led 10 men against a horde of Imps two years ago.
    Rosa: ...but..you lost that fight, don't you remember?

ff2chapter9106.png

Cecil: Oh..uh..I did?
    Rosa: ...
    Rydia:...

ff2chapter9107.png

Cecil: ..."Hey Cecil, come on!" Huh? Oh, coming! Yang's calling! Gotta go! Love you!

ff2chapter9108.png
    ff2chapter9108.png
    ff2chapter9108.png

Rydia: We're gonna need to make a lot of band-aids, huh..
    Rosa: Yes, I think so.

ff2chapter9add1.png

Edward: ...damn, I can't bear this waiting.
    Yang: They'll be here. Cecil, you know how Baron works, right?
    Cecil: As the Red Wings' commander, sure.
    Yang: How do you think they'll come at us then?
    Cecil: By land most likely, perhaps by surprise. They can't afford to risk damaging the crystal via a bombing run.

ff2chapter9111.png
    ff2chapter9113.png

Cecil: Told you!

ff2chapter9114.png

Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #1: Good evening, we're selling cookies door-to-door an-
    Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #2: Oh crap, I think that's Cecil over there! That whiny loser squealed on us!
    Cecil: Hey!!
    Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #1 Son of a...way to go Stenson, you blabbermouth! Ok, plan B; kill them all!

ff2chapter9117.png

With boss-music blaring, we kick off a gauntlet of fights, starting with this non-monster squad of Baron's soldiers. The same ones we fought over in Kaipo with the same tactics as before.

ff2chapter9120.png

Cecil: Well, that was easy. We didn't even have to get your rookies involved, Yang.
    Yang: I don't know. I doubt they'll give up now.
    Cecil: As long as we can keep the front gate guarded like this, we'll be fine. It's not like the Red Wings' airships can be...

ff2chapter9121.png
    ff2chapter9122.png

Cecil: Used?

ff2chapter9123.png

Yang: Everyone down!
    Cecil: Holy cheeze-n-crackers!!
    Edward: Ahhhh, flashbacks! I'm having flashbacks! ANNA! DADDY! MOMMY!!

ff2chapter9125.png
    ff2chapter9126.png
    ff2chapter9128.png

Scroll up and down the three screenshots above for 15 seconds or so, throwing in a few more explosions happening in the forest to represent misses by the Red Wing bombers and you'll get the extent of Baron's plan to shoo the fleas away. The bombs naturally don't get any closer to Cecil and friends then they did with the first screenshot.

ff2chapter9131.png

Not that they plan to stay outside and wait for the Red Wings to adjust their targeting sights.

ff2chapter9132.png
    ff2chapter9134.png
    ff2chapter9134.png

Left-Behind Monk: Oh man, that ringing in my ears is finally dying down. You guys ok?

ff2chapter9135.png

Left-Behind Monk: Guys?

ff2chapter9137.png

Left-Behind Monk: Wh...you d***s! Wait for me!!

ff2chapter9140.png

Everyone reforms the ranks inside the main hall. I'm guessing the Right Tower's entrance got double the security.

ff2chapter9142.png
    ff2chapter9143.png

Cecil: It's not like they're tossing monsters at us.

ff2chapter9145.png

Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #3: Did someone ask for monsters?

ff2chapter9146.png

Edward: Oh no, not you again!
    Waterhag: My name is Denise. You killed my sister. Prepare to die. B****.

ff2chapter9147.png
    ff2chapter9148.png
    ff2chapter9151.png

Sadly, while the second round went fine for the party, the rookie Monks didn't fair as well as their topless attire left them vulnerable to the third wave and their Baron-taught 'Nipple-Gripple Supremeo' attack.

ff2chapter9154.png

Cecil: I knew it! I told you guys: put on shirts!

ff2chapter9156.png

Edward: Abandon main hall! Princes and bards first!
    Yang: Hang tight, men! We will return!

ff2chapter9159.png

Left Guard: Shouldn't we have blocked the passage?
    Right Guard: Yeah, I'll get on that as soon as I get this Weeper off of me!
    Weeper(?): Heh heh heh, noogie-time!

ff2chapter9162.png
    ff2chapter9163.png

Edward: Incoming!

ff2chapter9164.png
    ff2chapter9165.png

To make everything nice and even, we get another group of regular Baron jarheads to fight again.

ff2chapter9167.png

These guys can hit pretty hard mind you, as seen by poor Yang's half-beaten posture. A precious bottle of Cure2 (Hi-Potion) was needed to restore him back to full health.

ff2chapter9171.png

The party swats down the soldiers but more spring up almost immediately. Edward applies his years of royal teachings to evaluate the situation.

ff2chapter9173.png

To perhaps predictable conclusions.

ff2chapter9175.png

Yang: Dammit!
    Cecil: Fall back, Yang, fall back!

ff2chapter9178.png

Yang: Li, Xiong, follow us!
    Li:On our way, sir!
    Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #4: Oh, I don't think so!

ff2chapter9179.png
    ff2chapter9180.png

Cecil: Where is the crystal?
    Yang: Upstairs!

ff2chapter9182.png

Xiong: That's all I needed to hear!

ff2chapter9183.png
    ff2chapter9184.png

Yang: Dammit, Xiong, lock that door! Don't make me assign you to being my wife's punching-bag for her civilian self-defense classes for two weeks!

ff2chapter9185.png

Xiong: Heh, I'd be shaking in my booties...

ff2chapter9186.png

Xiong (NOT!): ..if I was your little flunkie!
    (The Real) Xiong (From Outside): Ahhh! No more Purple-Nurples! No more!!

ff2chapter9188.png

Our faker turns out to be a Gargoyle, an enemy that could be found outside of Fabul as well as in other FF games. He'd go down easily to Rosa's arrows but swords, songs and metal-clad knuckles do just fine against him too.

ff2chapter9189.png

Cecil: Good work. Now quick, someone lock..!

ff2chapter9190.png

Cecil: Crap!

ff2chapter9191.png

Waterhag: Thou hast slain my sisters. Prepare thyself for a reckoning, Edward!
    Edward: Stay away, stay away!

ff2chapter9193.png
    ff2chapter9194.png

Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #6: Excuse me, do you have any Grey Poupon?
    Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #7: Wow, you had to use that joke? Really?
    Edward: Running time!

ff2chapter9196.png
    ff2chapter9197.png

Edward: Ah! Harp...not supposed...to go there!

ff2chapter9198.png
    ff2chapter9199.png

Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #6: Ha, what a wimp! Beat you to the first hit!
    Hooded (Monster?) Sprite #7: No fair, you leaping gimp!

ff2chapter9200.png

Yang: Dammit!
    Cecil: Hold on!

ff2chapter9203.png

Weirdly, the fight between two of those hooded guys equals one group of three. I haven't been able to figure out how that works out and I suggest you guys don't try either.

ff2chapter9205.png

Edward: Thanks, guys. I think I found where the King's glasses fell...owie.
    Cecil: We'll fix you up later. Yang, lead the way.

ff2chapter9207.png
    ff2chapter9208.png

Cecil: Here we are. End of the line.
    Yang: Yes. We retreat no further. They'll take this Crystal over our dead bodies!
    Edward: R-right.

ff2chapter9208.png
    ff2chapter9208.png

Edward: Wait. Did someone lock the door?
    Cecil: ...ooops.

ff2chapter9209.png

Yang: Dammit! Prepare yourselves!

ff2chapter9210.png

Cecil: What...wait a second, guys. I think that's..

ff2chapter9211.png
    ff2chapter9213.png

Cecil: Of course! You and me, against the world once more!

ff2chapter9215.png
    ff2chapter9215.png
    ff2chapter9215.png

Cecil: Wait. What?

Next time: Hey everybody, don't get lost! Come back now, cause here comes the boss, here comes the boss!

Like I mentioned a couple of days ago, I also have a bit of a bonus included with this chapter at no extra cost to you. :) Just a look at one of the songs from the game that I haven't linked or posted multiple versions of yet!

Final Fantasy 'II' - iBard 1: The Red Wings
    Every good game, Final Fantasy or not, needs a certain song to kick it off just right even if you don't hear it again and the game takes a different turn then the song suggests. The original Super Mario Bros had this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKDF_WbMlg

The original Legend Of Zelda's opening music is also quite iconic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajYFOBWOBKs

Ok, ok, so their 'opening music' is pretty much the same thing you'll hear for most of the game. Let's try some more modern examples.

Stay a while, and list...wait, wrong game.

Old music. Using old music never changes.

I hate that guy.

Now that you get the idea, let's get to the piece I'm talking about for this highlight: The Red Wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbQyqX9iu_M

Counting as both the anthem of Baron's military elite and Cecil's theme, the song has decent portions of "Don't mess with me!" and "Oh crap!" mixed in. Sadly I can't quite remember how many times the song actually plays through the game at the moment but if anyone remembers, you're more then free to jot down the number in a reply, tossing in the exact story-moments in a spoiler box if you know them too.

It can be said that Square has lots of love for this song or at least love to get money from people who love it as they've bothered giving it the orchestra treatment like some of their other top numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTypCr0ODVQ&fmt=18

And while it hasn't been made part of the Piano Collections CDs, it doesn't stop fans from using their skills with that instrument to belt out their own version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rffqp4V-vQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZj6zw9jWMg

As well as...er...

...on other instruments...

Does this count as playing it by ear?

You can barely notice the edits...barely..

Before you go plugging your ears now, some fan-work on the song is pretty sweet. The guys over at OverClocked Remix actually did a whole '3-CD' album based on the game's music. The Red Wings? At the top of the list.

Needs about 1:12 to get to the meat of the song.

Luckily I was able to find a video on Youtube that wasn't a song-long ad for the album. Anyway, that's about it. I'm sure you guys can find a couple more takes on the song. If you want me to do this sort of bonus again, let me know. :) Oh, one more thing. There's a group of video-game musicians who decided to take a FF-name in homage of Square's in-house band, the Black Mages. What did they call themselves?
    redwingsband.png

Weird thing though, they've never bothered actually making a cover of The Red Wings as part of their musical selection. Oh well, at least they have a nice logo. :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My favourite version of Red Wings is the one by Powerglove. It's more of a medley of the game's themes, but it's pretty boss (pun intended).

El Fantastico on

• Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is great! I just finished up Final Fantasy V advance again and was thinking about playing some FFIV. Now, not only do I not need to, but I have something to do when I'm bored at work. Woo!

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Time for a new chapter, no thanks to the distraction that's called Kamen Rider Kiva! ^.^;

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 10: Frantic Fighting At Fabul 2: Electric [strike]Jedi Lightning[/strike] Boogaloo
    Right, welcome back to Fabul. Now where were we?

ff2chapter10002.png

Ohhhhh yeah.

ff2chapter10003.png

KNIIIIIGHT-FIGHT!

ff2chapter10005.png

Despite the shift to the battle-window, this is pretty much a scripted fight. Cecil stands about all confused, trying to talk sense into Kain.

ff2chapter10008.png

Kain in turn keeps hopping on top of Cecil's helmet to cave it in. He must have pretty good aim to dodge all the hard pointy-bits. That or tougher boots.

ff2chapter10010.png

Kain: .........HA!

ff2chapter10013.png
    ff2chapter10014.png

Doesn't look like Kain's up for listening what with those heavy ellipses he silently broke out there.

ff2chapter10022.png

It's not long before Cecil's barely hanging on by a thread. Now while this fight's pretty much a cutscene, yes it's possible to fight back. You can't knock out Kain though and I really don't think Cecil is the sort to fight back against a friend needlessly. Of course when you play the game, you can try raising his sword against his friend if you wish.

...heartless b******s...

ff2chapter10028.png

Cecil: K-Kain, wait! I don't know why you're doing this but...but whatever's wrong, we can fix it together! After all these years, that's what friends do! And we're great friends, right?
    Kain: ...

ff2chapter10add01.png
    ff2chapter10add02b.png
    ff2chapter10add3f.png

Kain: Hmmm.

ff2chapter10025.png
    ff2chapter10027.png

Kain: No.

ff2chapter10031.png

Well, that's pretty embarrassing.

Cecil: You're under Golbez's...
    Kain: I'll put you out of your misery.
    Yang: You can't!

ff2chapter10035.png

I'll give Yang credit here for trying to fight Kain. I have to take some of it back though seeing as Kain's proven already that he already has no problem dropping someone wearing ARMOR.

ff2chapter10036.png

Oh good, backup's finally arrived.

ff2chapter10038.png

Just not the backup everyone expected. Or probably wanted in Cecil's case.

Kain: Rosa!
    Rosa: Kain, why you!
    Kain: Don't look at me!

ff2chapter10041.png

Kain: Hold on, this is what I've been waiting for. I'm the one on top now. Ok, gotta do this just like I practiced.

ff2chapter10040.png

Kain: Hello there, Rosa. Leg time, no cookie.
    Rosa: ...huh?
    Edward: What did he say?
    Rydia: I don't get it.
    Kain: No! Wait! Dammit!!

ff2chapter10042.png

Uh-oh...

ff2chapter10049.png

The evil villain.

dsgolbezb.png

Yes folks, ten chapters in and we get to meet Golbez. I think the timing of his appearance is pretty decent as far as FF-villains go. Compared to the other two SNES-FF games, FF5's villain doesn't make his appearance until right around the 1/3rd mark of the game's story while FF6's shows up prior to leaving the second town. He certainly keeps a consistent look too by the time the three games end unlike them. Plus he rocks a much more threatening armor then Cecil as the new Red Wings commander. Maybe it's the cape..

ffivndslogo.jpg

It and his armor's horns do attract a lot of attention when he's fitted into the logo used for the DS-version of the game.

ff2chapter10050.png

Golbez: and take my greeting!
    Edward: Cecil!
    Yang: No!

ff2chapter10052.png

What is it about about Yang right now wanting to jump out in front of violent men in armor? And he's even somehow got Edward doing it too! Maybe heroism is a fatal disease like some have said.

ff2chapter10053e.png
    ff2chapter10058.png

They end up getting a nasty treatment for it in the end as Golbez lights them up with his own version of Lit. I believe it's called "Fo' shizzle you sizzle!"

ff2chapter10067.png

Rosa: Yang!
    Rydia: Edward!
    Edward: On the harp again! Pain, she will never leave me...
    Golbez: That's enough. Take the crystal, Kain.
    Kain: Yes, Master!

ff2chapter10072.png

Sweet Bahamut, it IS contagious!

Golbez: Is this girl important so important to you? Very well! I shall see you again. I'm taking her as a token of this promise. Come, Kain!

ff2chapter10077.png

Golbez pulls the same move Cecil did with Rydia earlier in the game, shoving Rosa in the same invisible knapsack before leaving. Mind you, Rydia had the excuse of being unconscious when it happened to her so I don't know why Rosa's not doing anything to stop it.

viterrasd.jpgitadakiaerith.jpgitadakistreetrinoa.jpggarnet3dfinal.jpgitadakiyuna.jpg

I guess she's simply not as strong and kidnap-proof as later heroines in the FF-series...

ff2chapter10079.png

Golbez: Yesss. Hero down, his sweetheart taken and the Crystal's mine. Better then I practiced. Time for the final part on the list: triumphant but silent power-exit!

ff2chapter10085.png

Kain doesn't bother keeping his voice down to whispering/muttering/small text for his last jab at Cecil before leaving.

ff2chapter10089.png
    ff2chapter10093.png

Those of the party who are still conscious give their own two cents after Golbez and Kain are gone. Both pennies aren't as strong or bold as the kidnappers'.

ff2chapter10095.png
    ff2chapter10097.png

So after everything that's happened, Rydia's the only one left standing. One can only imagine what she's thinking at this moment.

ff2chapter10098.png

Rydia: Oh no, everyone's hurt and that bad guy took Rosa. I gotta do something! He's so scary though...if Cecil can't do anything, maybe the only one who could stop him is...her...

rydialightning2b1.png

Rydia: No...maybe I oughta heal everyone first. That's what she would do.

ff2chapter10099.png
    ff2chapter10102.png

A quick burst of yellow flashes brings the fallen friends up to their feet. But topped-off HP isn't enough for Cecil.

ff2chapter10104.png

Rydia: You Okay?
    Edward: Thanks, Rydia. But Rosa was taken.
    Yang: And the crystal.
    Cecil: Rosa...

ff2chapter10110.png
    ff2chapter10111.png

Rydia finds herself having to give another pep-talk to the adults after Edward and Yang accept Cecil's invites to the mope-party.

Rydia: Come on! Rosa is all right. And we can take back the crystal, too!

ff2chapter10116.png

Cecil: Thank you...

ff2chapter10118.png

Full control is finally (and perhaps thankfully) given back to the player since the moment we accepted the King's request to help defend Fabul. And speaking about the King...

ff2chapter10120.png
    ff2chapter10144.png

...he's a bit banged up but otherwise fine. The rest of the castle seems to be ok too.

ff2chapter10146.png

More or less. Hmmm, what to do, what to do...

ff2chapter10126.png

Ehhh, I du-

ff2chapter10147.png

But maybe I could do some quick leveling and...

ff2chapter10149.png

Fine, I get the freaking hint! I'll go to the inn. JEEZ! I swear, if someone says the word 'rest' one more time..

ff2chapter10150.png

AHHHHHH!

Cecil: AHHHHHH! Shut UP!

I know, right?!

ff2chapter10151.png

Cecil: Damn wide-hipped, robe-wearing old fart.

ff2chapter10152.png

Ahem. Anyway, now that we're at where the game wants us to be, it's time for an important team-meeting. With three of the four Crystals and Rosa in Golbez's pocket, it's not looking good for the heroes.

ff2chapter10153.png
    ff2chapter10154.png

Good question. Seeing as Baron has the 'death from above' advantage, it seems almost impossible to get near it's turf without being spotted. But if anyone can figure out a way around them, it's their former commander. I'm sure he'll think of a plan.

ff2chapter10155.png

Cecil: Let's make it on the sea!

...ummmm...yeah, that's a plan alright.

Next time: Haven't I seen you in Scotland or Spira before?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My favourite version of Red Wings is the one by Powerglove. It's more of a medley of the game's themes, but it's pretty boss (pun intended).

lol, Final Fantasy II, The Rock Opera.

I can almost hear Styx in the wailing guitars.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hereby dub this one of the greatest LPs I have ever seen (and I'm not just saying that because it's my favorite game in the series). Love your comedic timing.

Rydia!!! <3<3<3

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I hereby dub this one of the greatest LPs I have ever seen (and I'm not just saying that because it's my favorite game in the series). Love your comedic timing.

Rydia!!! <3<3<3

I didn't wanna give my thread a(nother) self-post bump but my low self-esteem forces me to argue with your opinion even though it makes me very happy to hear it. :) I'm just tossing in what strikes me as humorous. There's other folks, both here and elsewhere, that have done much better LPs then I and more speedy with their updates too.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, but they'll pick shitty games. This is a game a LOT of people will agree is classic and you're giving it due attention and good humour.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, but they'll pick shitty games. This is a game a LOT of people will agree is classic and you're giving it due attention and good humour.

Limed for great truthitude.

I really look forward to all of your updates, even if I don't post something every time. FF2 is one of my all-time favorites, and you are definitely doing it justice. :)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Next scene that happens is when the game officially jumps the shark for me.
    I hope you toss in the Nintendo Power artwork to properly illustrate what a horrible replacement Palom and Porom are for Rydia. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Next scene that happens is when the game officially jumps the shark for me.
    I hope you toss in the Nintendo Power artwork to properly illustrate what a horrible replacement Palom and Porom are for Rydia. :(

I'm not sure I'd call what happens next the 'next scene' or the jumping the shark moment of the game.
    I can't honestly say either that Palom and Porom are horrible. It'll be sad to see Rydia benched for the time being but the pair do make an adequate replacement, especially with their special ability.

And yes, I do plan to show what pieces of the NP-art I've been able to find. FF-Wiki's been pretty sweet there as well as in general when it comes to helping me sound more knowledgeable in the LP. ;)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've mentioned this before, but I still stand by my argument that FFIV would have been the best story of the entire franchise had this been the primary dynamic:
    16jrn7n.jpg

It's a truly endearing (and interesting) relationship that becomes tragically downplayed as the stakes get higher and higher (until it's literally out of this world).

I think about a version of FFIV that focuses on redemption and sacrifice and I sit awestruck at how awesome that would be.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hot damn Professor! What's that graphic from???

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I was also thinking of adding it to the OP once we get to a certain point in the game. Not exactly fanart as it looks pretty official but I'll take what I can get and credit you for it, Prof. :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

A site that's far from worksafe (although supposedly there's a worksafe equivalent).

Oh, and the text says "Don't cry". So damn cute.

I really wish the Japanese fans (who, let's face it, draw way better then we do minus a few standouts from deviantart) would put such alternate concepts like the one I mentioned into their doujins, instead of porn and....more porn. And then more porn after that.

The only semi non-hentai FF project I've seen is this FFXI running comic featuring adaptions of the creators' original characters.

• Options
    edited May 2010

A site that's far from worksafe (although supposedly there's a worksafe equivalent).

Oh, and the text says "Don't cry". So damn cute.

I really wish the Japanese fans (who, let's face it, draw way better then we do minus a few standouts from deviantart) would put such alternate concepts like the one I mentioned into their doujins, instead of porn and....more porn. And then more porn after that.

The only semi non-hentai FF project I've seen is this FFXI running comic featuring adaptions of the creators' original characters.

Would that be Fred Perry's Level Up?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No, it's a Japanese made one. I have no idea what it's called or what the hell is going on in each strip. It just looks pretty and, for once, is worksafe.