As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian Politics] The Australian now the Anti-Greens Institute.

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
electiondefcon2620x0.jpg
Seeking applications for better title image.

This is the Australian politics thread.
Australia will go to the polls to choose between two mostly unbearable possible governments. However some possible leaders are more unbearable then others.

And when will we do this? August 21.

So who are the major players?
Julia-Gillard_0.jpg
Julia Gillard
This is Julia Gillard. Her ascendancy after deposing of Kevin Rudd (see below) has made her Australia's first female prime minister. Of note is that she has sex outside of marriage, has no children, and is an atheist. She may in fact be a far better prime minister then Rudd, and at the very least Labor did a quick 1-week switcheroo which means unlike prior Liberal efforts the media hasn't had time to whip things into a frenzy.

She is the Labor prime minister in the upcoming election, and there is much hullabaloo in trying to make the exact manner of her ascendancy an election issue. Almost entirely by this man:
889114-tony-abbott.jpg
Tony Abbott
This man is the leader of our opposition (currently, the liberal party read: right-wing party). He is notable for having a strong Catholic belief system and waving it around in his duties as a minister (of which he used to be the minister for health - yeah). Lately he's been on a popularity up-tick, powered largely by pictures like the above though. Other strategies have included having him publically complain about the lack of a sex life when you're always travelling. Basically, great effort is going into undoing that image - and it worked, despite having no policy substance.

Going into the election he'd like to up-sell the idea that a vote for the Liberal party is a vote for Howard 2.0 which is supposed to be a vote for Sound Economic Management(TM). But also, how can you trust a women who came to power by deposing of the party leader? I mean that's just unthinkable.

tl; dr: ITT we discuss Australian politics and topical issues related to it.
Zedar wrote: »
Polling numbers / discussion: The Poll Bludger

Poll Analysis: Pollytics

Election / Electoral System Analysis: Antony Green

Election Result Calculator

Policy Discussion: Larvatus Prodeo

www.crikey.com.au is also good, but some of it's content requires a subscription.

Most of these are fairly left-leaning sites, if someone else want to provide right wing alternatives.

List of things which can go with vegemite:

1. Butter or Margarine.

That is all.

electricitylikesme on

• ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is very much an election about picking the lesser of two evils. Both candidates are insufferable, so just pick whose policies you hate more and then vote for the other guy.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is very much an election about picking the lesser of two evils. Both candidates are insufferable, so just pick whose policies you hate more and then vote for the other guy.

Is it wrong that i find Abbott more than a little creepy?

bezerk bob on
    You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For the first time in my life, I have no fucking idea what to do in politics.

We're stuck with all parties being unpalatable, and I'm paralysed and unable to determine which is the least worst.

Labor's educational reforms are apparently decided by spinning the wheel of insanity.
    We've got a bunch of wasteful stupid projects to be undertaken - like the Cleanfeed.
    We've got a bunch of stupid moral bullshit - like the Cleanfeed and the opposition to gay rights.

On the other hand, we have the liberals who are lead by my antithesis, and have a track record of dismantling public systems and while giving stacks of money to their private competitors and claiming that this demonstrates the public options are broken.

The Greens are insane and idealogical in their opposition to Nuclear Reactors and the advance of technology.

I'm overwhelmed by how underwhelmed I am.

Apothe0sis on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The problem of course being that it's not like there's any consistent thread of terrible. By and large the Liberals don't really have policy though, outside of "we'll not do whatever it is that labor says they'll do right now".

The main issue with Labor is the god damn internet filter. But cut that out and most of what they're doing isn't actually bad, just poorly implemented.

The funny thing is when Kevin Rudd got angry on the 7.30 Report I was actually kind of impressed. At the very least it seems like he does care about what he wants to do, at least re: climate change. Tony Abbott apparently varies this based on who he thinks he's talking to.

electricitylikesme on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bezerk bob wrote: »

Is it wrong that i find Abbott more than a little creepy?

It would be wrong if you did not.

He has a horrifying visage and an even more terrifying view of the world.

Apothe0sis on
    edited May 2010
    In my opinion Kevin Rudd isn't so much actively evil as spineless. I mean, before the 2007 election for the most part he said all the right things, he just doesn't have the balls to follow through. Admittedly he's been hamstrung by an unworkable senate, but he doesn't even seem to be trying anymore. The only real objection I have is the internet filter, and I really doubt the Liberals would be much better in that regard.

Tony Abbott basically destroyed any chance of the Coalition getting my vote. Turnbull was actually a pretty tempting alternative, but then the Libs went crazy and completely lost me.

I think the ideal solution here is for the Labor party to elect Malcolm Turnbull leader.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    For the first time in my life, I have no fucking idea what to do in politics.

We're stuck with all parties being unpalatable, and I'm paralysed and unable to determine which is the least worst.

Labor's educational reforms are apparently decided by spinning the wheel of insanity.
    We've got a bunch of wasteful stupid projects to be undertaken - like the Cleanfeed.
    We've got a bunch of stupid moral bullshit - like the Cleanfeed and the opposition to gay rights.

On the other hand, we have the liberals who are lead by my antithesis, and have a track record of dismantling public systems and while giving stacks of money to their private competitors and claiming that this demonstrates the public options are broken.

The Greens are insane and idealogical in their opposition to Nuclear Reactors and the advance of technology.

I'm overwhelmed by how underwhelmed I am.

Oooh ooh I can help!

If you accept that we can probably never get the Australian public to allow nuclear power plants, and that because we're a near-equatorial largely desert country, solar energy is abundant, then you need to learn about baseload solar power!

Basically, there's no reason Australia couldn't go zero-emissions on electricity production without needing to go to nuclear power.

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2010
    Oooh ooh I can help!

If you accept that we can probably never get the Australian public to allow nuclear power plants, and that because we're a near-equatorial largely desert country, solar energy is abundant, then you need to learn about baseload solar power!

Basically, there's no reason Australia couldn't go zero-emissions on electricity production without needing to go to nuclear power.

I think the problem here is finding someone willing to pay for the infrastructure required.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    In my opinion Kevin Rudd isn't so much actively evil as spineless. I mean, before the 2007 election for the most part he said all the right things, he just doesn't have the balls to follow through. Admittedly he's been hamstrung by an unworkable senate, but he doesn't even seem to be trying anymore. The only real objection I have is the internet filter, and I really doubt the Liberals would be much better in that regard.

Tony Abbott basically destroyed any chance of the Coalition getting my vote. Turnbull was actually a pretty tempting alternative, but then the Libs went crazy and completely lost me.

I think the ideal solution here is for the Labor party to elect Malcolm Turnbull leader.

I don't know. The thing about Turnbull is that he's not Tony Abbott, but I'm not exactly cut up that the Emissions Trading Scheme was strangled at birth either. It was not a good scheme, just a little progress meandering within the correct 180 degree arc of the right direction.

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2010
    Oooh ooh I can help!

I think the problem here is finding someone willing to pay for the infrastructure required.

By and large it should be quite cheap. What we need is someone to grow some backbone and fund a pilot project in Australia to figure this out. The issue is that this rubs up against the mining lobbyists pretty directly - no coal power? Unthinkable!

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2010
    Australia is a fairly secular country, especially among younger folks. I can see this making Abbott an unpalatable choice given his catholic stance. The fact that he waves it around is i think even more distasteful to other people. Also sending dole bludgers down mines.

bezerk bob on
    You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rudd's shafting of the ETS that he campaigned so heavily for and basically not doing anything about emissions for several years just reeks of political cowardice and an unwillingness to do anything politically difficult. Especially with the fact that around half of the liberal party supported it initially, instead of bailing he should've been using it as a political hammer to belt the liberals with. But instead we have no action on emissions and while the ETS was far from perfect atleast is was a step in the right direction. Combine this perplexing lack of testicular fortitude (how would Rudd respond to a real political challenge like the US asking us to get involved in another pointless war?) with the fucking internet filter and Labour starts to look like a very unappealing prospect.

On the other hand we have Abbott who's treatment of RU486 basically proves that he is unable to seperate his religious beliefs from his political actions which is one of the worst character flaws possible in a politician. I'd never vote for Abbott and this is coming from someone who has voted for both the major parties as well as the greens in various elections. The liberals also lack a coherent platform and direction, it just seems to be "not labour".

And yeah what Apo said about the Greens makes me hesitate before voting for them.

We need a solid sane third party similar to the British Lib Dems with actual progressive policies on both the environment and economy.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Oooh ooh I can help!

By and large it should be quite cheap. What we need is someone to grow some backbone and fund a pilot project in Australia to figure this out. The issue is that this rubs up against the mining lobbyists pretty directly - no coal power? Unthinkable!

The CSIRO and some uni were working on flexible plastic solar panels that you could print out like plastic money.

bezerk bob on
    edited May 2010
    Oooh ooh I can help!

The CSIRO and some uni were working on flexible plastic solar panels that you could print out like plastic money.

Someone is always working on those and every time I follow it up, far less has been accomplished then is desireable or an expensive metal is in the mix (Ruthenium being the favorite). Anyway, that's also less efficient then solar thermal - basically the punchline is, since a black surface absorbs pretty much 100% of the incident solar energy on it, you're harvesting 100% of the sunlight. You then use that to heat water and run a regular commercial steam turbine - and since you can use commerical stuff, you use exactly what those coal power stations run.

And those coal power stations have gotten pretty god damn efficient - upto about 40% efficiency (compared to the best commerical solar panels which sit at something like 22%).

So basically - counter-intuitively - one of the most efficient ways to harvest solar energy can be solar thermal power, and it pretty much uses off-the-shelf gear to do it. Of course getting the baseload thing to work is more complicated, but you're starting from a huge advantage. EDIT: And before anyone wonders - yes - I am trying to figure out how to design my future dream-home such that the roof has a gigantic aluminium parabolic sun concentrator. 40% efficiency would mean I'd only need to cut my energy use by a third to be totally off the grid.

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2010
    Qliphoth wrote: »
    We need a solid sane third party similar to the British Lib Dems with actual progressive policies on both the environment and economy.

So start one then, I'll vote for you :)

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    Oooh ooh I can help!

Someone is always working on those and every time I follow it up, far less has been accomplished then is desireable or an expensive metal is in the mix (Ruthenium being the favorite). Anyway, that's also less efficient then solar thermal - basically the punchline is, since a black surface absorbs pretty much 100% of the incident solar energy on it, you're harvesting 100% of the sunlight. You then use that to heat water and run a regular commercial steam turbine - and since you can use commerical stuff, you use exactly what those coal power stations run.

And those coal power stations have gotten pretty god damn efficient - upto about 40% efficiency (compared to the best commerical solar panels which sit at something like 22%).

So basically - counter-intuitively - one of the most efficient ways to harvest solar energy can be solar thermal power, and it pretty much uses off-the-shelf gear to do it. Of course getting the baseload thing to work is more complicated, but you're starting from a huge advantage. EDIT: And before anyone wonders - yes - I am trying to figure out how to design my future dream-home such that the roof has a gigantic aluminium parabolic sun concentrator. 40% efficiency would mean I'd only need to cut my energy use by a third to be totally off the grid.

I thought the idea behind these proposed flexible cells isnt efficency but economy. As in they are super cheap to produce. Basically just set up huge solar farms in the desert sort of thing.

http://www.electroline.com.au/articles/39285-Bright-outlook-for-flexible-solar-cells

Seems like at least some progress is being made.

bezerk bob on
    edited May 2010
    I consider Pauline Hansons decision to move to the U.K something so perfectly ironic that we should preserve it for future generations to marvel over. A lady who hates asians, muslims and immigrants is immigrating to a country with a sizable populations of the former. Also she may get to see what the buisness end of discrimination feels like as a ginger in england.

bezerk bob on
    edited May 2010
    So the Coalition have formally announced their intention to cancel the NBN if they are elected, as well as teh computers for schools intiiative. Why do they hate technology so? Also, relevant to the debate above, they are reducing funding for solar power initiatives.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010
    So the Coalition have formally announced their intention to cancel the NBN if they are elected, as well as teh computers for schools intiiative. Why do they hate technology so? Also, relevant to the debate above, they are reducing funding for solar power initiatives.

So greens or labor it is, shame the democrats died out.

bezerk bob on
    edited May 2010
    The NBN is one of the better Labor projects. The Coalition are going after it because AUD$48 billion is a big number, and people don't really understand technology so it's easy to attack.

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2010
    The NBN is one of the better Labor projects. The Coalition are going after it because AUD$48 billion is a big number, and people don't really understand technology so it's easy to attack.

Which is a shame as with revenues collected from its use and increased business efficency it would probably pay for itself pretty quickly.

bezerk bob on
    edited May 2010

Which is a shame as with revenues collected from its use and increased business efficency it would probably pay for itself pretty quickly.

Not even that, so much as the fact that fibre-to-the-home is pretty much endgame as far as communications are currently concerned. It doesn't rust or degrade just by existing (to any degree appreciable compared to how often people are going to end up putting a spade through it), and to upgrade it you only replace the boxes on the ends of the cables, rather then the cables themselves.

The way I like to see it, we'll never need another upgrade until quantum entanglement communicators are developed (I am aware it is possible this will never happen).

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2010
    So what do the aussies on this board consider thier "ideal" party? What would be some of the things it would support? what would it be against?

bezerk bob on
    edited May 2010
    My ideal political party would be on the far left of the spectrum probably, except without the shrill "think of the children" aspect you tend to get there. All about civil rights, social welfare and equal opportunity, I'm willing to accept high taxation as a necessary evil for a just society.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So what do the aussies on this board consider thier "ideal" party? What would be some of the things it would support? what would it be against?
    Democrats minus the anti-nuclear stuff.

I'm all for a discussion of nuclear power as being not the optimal solution for Australia given other alternatives (see ELM's post earlier), but the ideological opposition to it is something that really frustrates me.

His Corkiness on
    edited May 2010
    I'll never understand all the anti-nuclear hysteria in Australia. It's like Australia's entire opinion of nuclear power is based on Chernobyl, and nobody is willing to discuss the possibility that things have actually improved since then.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We need more wind farms. Not for the power they produce, just because they look awesome.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Could I request that you guys assemble a list of interesting political blogs or media sources and put them in the OP?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Conroy you utter utter fucker

I know i should be calling him a silly goose, but this goes so far beyond that.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Conroy you utter utter fucker

I know i should be calling him a silly goose, but this goes so far beyond that.

Sadly there's no charming British gentlmen we can fly in to destroy him on national TV like Richard Dawkins did to Steve Fielding on Q&A.

electricitylikesme on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well Conroy does keep comparing his proposed system to China, I guess he's taking a few more ideas from them as well.

This election is horrid, one of the worst I can recall. It's like standing in a hardware shop trying to decide between two paint swatches of near identical beige. And that's the most positive view of the situation. In reality both sides are not only aggressively bland, but both have hideously distasteful policies that make me incapable of voting for either.

-SPI- on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll never understand all the anti-nuclear hysteria in Australia. It's like Australia's entire opinion of nuclear power is based on Chernobyl, and nobody is willing to discuss the possibility that things have actually improved since then.

Actually, not so. More support nuclear power than oppose it.

But that doesn't stop the Greens shouting CHERNOBYL CHERNOBYL at the top of their fucking shrill lungs over and over, and the total apathy of both major parties about the issue. it enrages me given that we sit on the motherlode of uranium and we're squabbling about even fucking mining the shit. Aaaaaargh. :x

Off the nuclear tangent, I think Abbott's awfulness is being rather understated. Considering some of the statements he's made, I have absolutely no doubt that the full extent of his batshit views would only be fully displayed after winning an election.

In my view it's pretty much a contest between an extreme populist (though my only major beef with them, albeit very major, is the internet filter), a batshit fundie, and an ent with an identity crisis.

Suriko on
    edited May 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Could I request that you guys assemble a list of interesting political blogs or media sources and put them in the OP?

Polling numbers / discussion: The Poll Bludger

Poll Analysis: Pollytics

Election / Electoral System Analysis: Antony Green

Election Result Calculator

Policy Discussion: Larvatus Prodeo

www.crikey.com.au is also good, but some of it's content requires a subscription.

Most of these are fairly left-leaning sites, if someone else want to provide right wing alternatives.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Look at it this way, Rudd will win this, with or without a swing against him.

Abbott will fall on his sword, and old 'pops Turnball will return with action on climate change and hopefully not batshit crazy ideas.

Well, that's what I believe.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010

The Australian. :mrgreen:

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Look at it this way, Rudd will win this, with or without a swing against him.

Abbott will fall on his sword, and old 'pops Turnball will return with action on climate change and hopefully not batshit crazy ideas.

Well, that's what I believe.
    This would make me happy. Turnbull's the only Liberal leader I've ever been able to listen to for any length of time without wanting to smash the television/radio, and the bullshit that saw him kicked out was moronic in the extreme.

I also want to see Labor ultimately get in so as to ensure the continuation of the NBN and to continue their thus far pretty successful economic strategy. Albeit with a sprinkling of the Greens so as to mean their precious filter would need either the support of the Liberals or the Greens to pass, which it'd never get.

Suriko on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah as much as the media plays it up, there is no way Abbott is winning this election. He may me doing ok now, but I suspect the ALP is saving all its attack material for the campaign proper. I mean, it must be very easy to campaign against him given the crazy range of views he has expressed over the years. I reckon all the ALP needs to do is buy like half an hour of screen time and just play clips of tony abbott the entire time, and the voters will be scared shitless :)

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010

He asked for interesting sites :)

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2010

He asked for interesting sites :)

Double snap! :lol:

I just can't wait for The Worlds Best Treasurer to lean in with some sniping from the peanut gallery. Regardless of what you think of Keating, his comments are always rather funny. 8-)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Someone clone Keating and let him back into the fray.

Jintor on