As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Love, Loathe, LoL and Lulls

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mturalon wrote: »
    drhazard wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    Loathe: Rawr's delicate balancing that suggests I re-gem everything when I get an upgrade on my warrior. I figure I'll match sockets as I gear up, then worry about re-gemming when I hit a certain threshold (all the 232/245 stuff I can get).

Is it a switch between armor pen and strength or something? :P

Not even that, it's flopping between dodge and parry. And then I get another upgrade and it goes, "well, that's perfect now! Just do stamina in EVERYTHING."

I avoid this issue by just gemming Stamina in everything unless I'm shy on Defense.. then I gem Def/Stamina... because for the most part.. Socket Bonuses can kiss my butt.

Very simple answer here: Don't use Rawr for tanking.

My gemming convention is:
    Red to activate meta: Agi/Stam
    Need Defense? Def/Stam
    Everything else? Stam

The only rare occasional difference is if it's a two socket item where the socket bonus is 12 stam, then I'll consider going for the bonus, especially if it lets me gem the red gem I need for the Meta.

Nobody on
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    Loathe: Rawr's delicate balancing that suggests I re-gem everything when I get an upgrade on my warrior. I figure I'll match sockets as I gear up, then worry about re-gemming when I hit a certain threshold (all the 232/245 stuff I can get).

Is it a switch between armor pen and strength or something? :P

Not even that, it's flopping between dodge and parry. And then I get another upgrade and it goes, "well, that's perfect now! Just do stamina in EVERYTHING."

I avoid this issue by just gemming Stamina in everything unless I'm shy on Defense.. then I gem Def/Stamina... because for the most part.. Socket Bonuses can kiss my butt.

Very simple answer here: Don't use Rawr for tanking.

My gemming convention is:
    Red to activate meta: Agi/Stam
    Need Defense? Def/Stam
    Everything else? Stam

The only rare occasional difference is if it's a two socket item where the socket bonus is 12 stam, then I'll consider going for the bonus, especially if it lets me gem the red gem I need for the Meta.

essentially that's what I do with 'end' game gear... but for leveling purposes or fresh 80.. meh
    RedDawn wrote: »
    What if the socket bonus is more stam?

Has to be at least +9 or +12 for me to really consider it. Anything less isn't really worth it.

mturalon on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jaded wrote: »
    Lol:

This one is for you shaman I ran H.FoS with yesterday.
    Upon zoning into H. FoS I see that my group consists of a Bear Tank, Priest Healer, Elemental Shammy and a Mage... wonderful for me, no one who should (reasonably) try and roll against me for my second Nighttime.

We start going and our elemental shammy is lagging behind, big time. We've done about 6 pulls and he is still at the start of the instance. Our tank (who is from the same guild) asks said shammy what is up, he says "Sexting with my GF, catch up with you in a couple mins".

... really?

No worries, we get to Brohnjam (or whatever his name is) and kill him, no Nighttime for me... we wait, and wait and wait... and the shammy doesn't roll. He misses his chance at the 22 slot bag and the shard as he is still AFK.

Queue the last boss up... I see the shammy running up the tunnel towards us (presumably so he makes 100% sure he doesn't miss his badges) and who does the Devourer cast mirrored soul on?

/evil grin

Queue army of the dead, and every other cooldown I can blow... See about 8 seconds later... a dead shaman.

I hope Cata has more boss/ecounters like that for 5 man. It's so satisfying when a story like this unfolds.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can use rawr for tanking, just make sure you turn on the chill of the throne debuff.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Last I used Rawr it was a bloated inaccurate mess and that was a year ago, I can only imagine how much more bloated and terrible it is now.

Opty on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    RedDawn wrote: »
    What if the socket bonus is more stam?

Has to be at least +9 or +12 for me to really consider it. Anything less isn't really worth it.

This, and the socket in question is a blue socket.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Last I used Rawr the 2pT10 for ret paladins was breaking it.

Nobody on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Love: My warlock started last weekend at about 4000 gearscore. In back to back vaults I won 25m t10 pants and 10m t10 gloves. Got enough tokens to pick up t10 chest. Won the staff and belt from PoS. An aborted ToC10 at least got me a 232 wand. He's now right around 5000 gearscore, the magic number which allows you to enter ICC.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lol:

Upon zoning into H. FoS I see that my group consists of a Bear Tank, Priest Healer, Elemental Shammy and a Mage... wonderful for me, no one who should (reasonably) try and roll against me for my second Nighttime.

We start going and our elemental shammy is lagging behind, big time. We've done about 6 pulls and he is still at the start of the instance. Our tank (who is from the same guild) asks said shammy what is up, he says "Sexting with my GF, catch up with you in a couple mins".

... really?

No worries, we get to Brohnjam (or whatever his name is) and kill him, no Nighttime for me... we wait, and wait and wait... and the shammy doesn't roll. He misses his chance at the 22 slot bag and the shard as he is still AFK.

Queue the last boss up... I see the shammy running up the tunnel towards us (presumably so he makes 100% sure he doesn't miss his badges) and who does the Devourer cast mirrored soul on?

/evil grin

Queue army of the dead, and every other cooldown I can blow... See about 8 seconds later... a dead shaman.

You are the champion of the day. Finding fun ways to kill people is the greatest. I enjoy it more when it's not because the person is an a-hole, but rather because it's just funny. Hard mode ICC I would chase down and kill the same disc priest in our 10 man group, every. single. week. As soon as they died he'd start running helplessly, only to see my giant soon-to-meltdown Tauren self ready to intervene him as soon as I was in range, and it was good night priesty.

Also, any instance in which people get mind controlled you must kill them. I have killed almost every DPS class in HToC when they get MCed by the priests. Pop shield block and shield slam as soon as I see it happen. The best is when it's a clothy like a mage, because I like to imagine the fear IRL when they see me charge and then get hit with a 5 digit shield slam crit. /love

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Happy: Hunters are stupid and it's making me free money.

reVerse on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Lol:

... really?

/evil grin

You are the champion of the day. Finding fun ways to kill people is the greatest. I enjoy it more when it's not because the person is an a-hole, but rather because it's just funny. Hard mode ICC I would chase down and kill the same disc priest in our 10 man group, every. single. week. As soon as they died he'd start running helplessly, only to see my giant soon-to-meltdown Tauren self ready to intervene him as soon as I was in range, and it was good night priesty.

I killed my wife with ye olde Death Knight path of frost in Utgarde Keep trick.

She wasn't amused :P

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

?

Considering he disparaged a blog post about a guy urging people not to sell single Iceblade Arrows for the price of a stack, I imagine that's what he's doing.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Super Duper Love: The cool blacksmith that made me the full tempered saronite plate set and shield and titan steel shield wall. Cost me about 150g in mats and I tipped him 100g for being awesome.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I love it when people are surprised when I tip. I gave the guy who made my mechano-hog an extra 200g and he was ecstatic.

Then there's the guy who thought tipping less than 100g per gem cut was insulting. Really dude?

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Lol:

... really?

/evil grin

I killed my wife with ye olde Death Knight path of frost in Utgarde Keep trick.

She wasn't amused :P

Well done, sir. Well done.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »
    Super Duper Love: The cool blacksmith that made me the full tempered saronite plate set and shield and titan steel shield wall. Cost me about 150g in mats and I tipped him 100g for being awesome.

Man I wish I could get a titansteel shield wall for 150g in mats. Titansteel's still upwards of 100g per bar on my server.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2010

?

Considering he disparaged a blog post about a guy urging people not to sell single Iceblade Arrows for the price of a stack, I imagine that's what he's doing.

Well that's a pretty generous way of describing that tear-filled idiotic whine-a-thon. More accurate way would be to say that the guy is a total and utter goose who can't differentiate between a single item and a stack of one thousand, and then wrote a butthurt little whinefest about how those evil people who exploited his utter and complete lack of anything that could even charitably be called a brain should be banned, and encouraged everyone to open GM tickets about it whenever possible, thus making worse a problem that affects many more people than overpriced arrows: impossibly long GM ticket wait times.

That post really annoyed me. Usually when I see something that brazenly and profoundly insults my intelligence over at Wow.com I just shrug and go "oh, well, business as usual over here, then" and possibly get a little chuckle about how clueless a person can be and still get paid for it, but that entire post was filled with so much stupidity it just made me angry.

So I started selling single Iceblade Arrows for a whopping profit of 30g a day just to spite that guy.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    Very simple answer here: Don't use Rawr.
    FTFY

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I read it too. I don't think that guy necessarily fell for it, he just saw it since he writes a column on making money on the AH. (I could be wrong.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying, "hey, don't prey on people's ignorance."

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Selling one item and counting on people to think it's a stack and click too fast falls in the same category as many other things in life. You're taking advantage of people, but at the end of the day, it's just up to you to decide if the responsibility is on them to pay attention, or on you to act 'ethically'(loosely using that term, because it is just a video game.)

Me personally, I wouldn't do that even for a profit, because I just don't like taking advantage of people's impatience in such a brazen manner, but I don't judge anybody else who does.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's not what he said, though. He cried and whined about how these people are evil and should be banned and everyone should waste the GM's time by opening tickets about it. If he'd just made a sensible, clearheaded post about, I don't know, ethics of MMO economy or something, that'd be fine. But that's not what he did.

reVerse on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Loathe: just got back my account. So many naked characters on my loading screen :(

edit:
    Lull: The bastard(s) were not just raping me of all my belongings, but they took the time to run a dungeon or two.

My warlock got "on the rocks" yesterday and my long forgotten warrior finally put that big ass murloc in its place.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tired of: Dailies. This is going to be my third Crusader and I'm so sick of jousting. I just wish there were better daily quest hubs than the Tournament and fucking Sons of Hodir. The Icecrown stuff is too spread out and usually takes way too long to do.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    martinimartini Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    these people are evil and should be banned
    They should be, IMO. Didn't Blizzard say a loooong time ago that it's not ok to do this? And don't they intervene if someone is scammed? I fully support reporting people who are acting like this, it's worse than harassment which is reportable. And I'd fully support bans of people who do this too.

martini on
    I raised the wall. And I will be the one to knock it down.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure he suggested putting up a ticket because it's a ticketable offense, not because he deemed it worthy of a ticket.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    martini wrote: »
    They should be, IMO. Didn't Blizzard say a loooong time ago that it's not ok to do this?

Nope.
    In short, placing items on the Auction House for significantly higher prices than other, like items is not a "scam" because at no time is the price of the item misrepresented

reVerse on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They should be, IMO. Didn't Blizzard say a loooong time ago that it's not ok to do this?

Nope.
    In short, placing items on the Auction House for significantly higher prices than other, like items is not a "scam" because at no time is the price of the item misrepresented

On the other hand, I COULD see putting a single bullet on the AH for the same price as a stack to be a misrepresentation of the price of the item.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it could be.

Personally, I think it'd help if the default sort was price per single item, instead of overall price of the stack.

Because I use an AddOn to manage the AH, this is already the case for me.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Nope.

On the other hand, I COULD see putting a single bullet on the AH for the same price as a stack to be a misrepresentation of the price of the item.

It is really weird that some price-per-unit whatsit hasn't been built into the UI by now...
    and yeah: I don't think anyone's going to call it anything other than a dick move; it's not a controversial topic, just a frustrating one.

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Love: I join my guild's ICC10 on my mage. Off the Lich Lady I got this awesome piece of swag. And on Sourteeths I got some new hat.

Loathe: My spell hit rating is so damn high. Trying to dump hit without getting rid of T10 is hard.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grape Ape wrote: »

Nope.

It is really weird that some price-per-unit whatsit hasn't been built into the UI by now...
    and yeah: I don't think anyone's going to call it anything other than a dick move; it's not a controversial topic, just a frustrating one.

if you hover over items in the AH frame you can see the price per unit

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Love: My girlfriend got all her items and gold back, so we're back to our Deathknight leveling date nights.

Loathe: About a month ago I did spring cleaning and got rid of alts I hadn't touched in a long time. Now my girlfriend is wanting to level her priest (which is now 41), and I have nothing near that level.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alas, the old BGMC thread is locked, so I must post here. Hate: Virus scan found a trojan today. Tentatively love: My account seems OK.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lolz: At the end of the raid I made the raid play portal roulette. I cast, in this order: exodar, shattrath, darnassus, dalaran.

I was the only one who wound up in Darnassus. :(

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My guild was very happy when I stopped playing my mage, because at the end of every raid I always put up a random portal. People never bother to check, and so I often got angry chatter from people ending up in Theramore ;p

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I did it after a vault once, with Darnassus being the portal of choice. 2 people clicked it and immediately started bitching at me. Sure, it was ME who made you click that portal.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    My guild was very happy when I stopped playing my mage, because at the end of every raid I always put up a random portal. People never bother to check, and so I often got angry chatter from people ending up in Theramore ;p

Our mages (well mostly just one of them) like to make something called portal roulette. I think you can guess what that means.

Recently one of our other mages has been creating a stonard port over the dalaran portal in the ICC entry area, but that specific one is pretty easy to not screw up if you leave the group before using the port out.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Frazzled nerves:

Got into an AB, with horde losing from the start. I think we were down by 500 points at one point. Then, we got 4 bases, kept them for a while and caught up. Right near the end, it predicted a 1600: 1590 scoreline in favour of the alliance.

Then a swap of bases happened when it became 2 bases in contention, and 3 bases to horde, which sent all the dead alliance back to the zone in point. They hit the stables with nearly everyone, zerged it and took it. 4 horde to 1 Alliance still, with the score showing horde would win 1600: 1570.

We had to keep the 4 bases; if we'd lost one, we'd have lost. The alliance team zerged LM, killed the 3 of us there, and started to cap. The rez cooldown was kind enough for us to rez quickly, I mounted up with my the other 2 defenders; one guy was capping the flag, with the rest of the alliance all trying to stop us. I saw a lock's aoe stun happen, but it missed me allowing me to ride past and stop the cap.

As a result, the alliance didn't get the cap, we overtook them right near the end, and won.

26 minutes of this turned me into a wreck. No more pvp for me that evening.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I thought sending people to Stonard happened at the end of every raid. I have fallen for it more times than I would like to admit. Shit, I have had a mage trick people into clicking portals when they think they're helping summon a table. People will click anything during pre and post fight times in a raid.

Joshmvii on
This discussion has been closed.