As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Love, Loathe, LoL and Lulls

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Frazzled nerves:

Got into an AB, with horde losing from the start. I think we were down by 500 points at one point. Then, we got 4 bases, kept them for a while and caught up. Right near the end, it predicted a 1600: 1590 scoreline in favour of the alliance.

Then a swap of bases happened when it became 2 bases in contention, and 3 bases to horde, which sent all the dead alliance back to the zone in point. They hit the stables with nearly everyone, zerged it and took it. 4 horde to 1 Alliance still, with the score showing horde would win 1600: 1570.

We had to keep the 4 bases; if we'd lost one, we'd have lost. The alliance team zerged LM, killed the 3 of us there, and started to cap. The rez cooldown was kind enough for us to rez quickly, I mounted up with my the other 2 defenders; one guy was capping the flag, with the rest of the alliance all trying to stop us. I saw a lock's aoe stun happen, but it missed me allowing me to ride past and stop the cap.

As a result, the alliance didn't get the cap, we overtook them right near the end, and won.

26 minutes of this turned me into a wreck. No more pvp for me that evening.

These are the kind of PvP games I love.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Frazzled nerves:

Got into an AB, with horde losing from the start. I think we were down by 500 points at one point. Then, we got 4 bases, kept them for a while and caught up. Right near the end, it predicted a 1600: 1590 scoreline in favour of the alliance.

Then a swap of bases happened when it became 2 bases in contention, and 3 bases to horde, which sent all the dead alliance back to the zone in point. They hit the stables with nearly everyone, zerged it and took it. 4 horde to 1 Alliance still, with the score showing horde would win 1600: 1570.

We had to keep the 4 bases; if we'd lost one, we'd have lost. The alliance team zerged LM, killed the 3 of us there, and started to cap. The rez cooldown was kind enough for us to rez quickly, I mounted up with my the other 2 defenders; one guy was capping the flag, with the rest of the alliance all trying to stop us. I saw a lock's aoe stun happen, but it missed me allowing me to ride past and stop the cap.

As a result, the alliance didn't get the cap, we overtook them right near the end, and won.

26 minutes of this turned me into a wreck. No more pvp for me that evening.

These are the kind of PvP games I love.

I agree :^:

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited May 2010
    Even if I lose, they're fun as shit.

Loathe:

Not being able to do anything past the transition phase on arthas. I've manage to get spell hit capped with the glyph and they're not resisting anymore. But for some reason we usually keep getting a third spirit at the end and that just fucks out shit up. Sometimes we don't though, and we usually fare much better when we don't.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Odd, I thought you were always supposed to get a final spirit at the end of the transition.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    I'd say about 40% of the time last night we didn't. 60% we got a third spirit.

bowen on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, you get three spirits for the first transition and four on the second.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Happy: Managing 1k+ dps on my 74 rogue. So nice not to suck anymore. Now, if I can just start remembering to keep HfB up.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
    edited May 2010
    We always had a spirit left between transitions. The key was to make sure no one runs ahead of it (being in front) but either then that they go down fast when DPS focus on it.

Loathe: 25 SourfangH.

Loathe2: This nub shaman in our raid. He is pretty much there as a warm body, but god do I wish i could throat punch him. Doing PrincesH and we told him to watch for orbs by the door... Nooooo he comes to stage left (my area) and always seems to run near me during vortex, knocking me waaaaay out. That or he ends up knocking a healer away. Oh and he keeps using chain lighting thus hitting the shadow orbs.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Even if I lose, they're fun as shit.

Loathe:

Not being able to do anything past the transition phase on arthas. I've manage to get spell hit capped with the glyph and they're not resisting anymore. But for some reason we usually keep getting a third spirit at the end and that just fucks out shit up. Sometimes we don't though, and we usually fare much better when we don't.

What are the spirits resisting? Taunts? I've never noticed them resisting ones, but the bastards do SILENCE, so often I can't use the taunts, or thunderclap, which makes me sad.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bowen, was everyone surviving the transition phase? Sometimes the spirits will follow a person who falls to their death if they pulled threat on it (either when killing it or when it spawned on them) and go all the way down to the invisible ground below before teleporting back up to the top.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, everyone survives until phase3 in which case no one pays attention to the valk or runs ahead of the spirit. And then ololdefile.

bowen on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A happy my warrior now has 450 blacksmithing! now only 35 tokens to go for the gloves but then I could also buy the tier 10 tank ones right now

A hate of mine is the Weekly being Jarraxas. My brother has a obesstion to get the sheild off the final boss but he does not want to start a group knowing people are going to bail at the weekly boss.

As with the horde I tried to go last night wiped on Icehowl and it was called because the healers started to point fingers at each other who was to blame

Brainleech on
  • MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't understand why it's so hard to just own up if you made a mistake. Is it really that big a deal to say "my bad, I got it this time though"?

Mutilate on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Love and Luck: I'm raid leading a bunch of friends and family to hit the weekly (Noth) and then try Ulduar. These are mostly casual players, but some are very well-geared.

Samphis on
    edited May 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »
    I don't understand why it's so hard to just own up if you made a mistake. Is it really that big a deal to say "my bad, I got it this time though"?

Because admitting a mistake admits you're bad. I've gotten yelled at for making a mistake once, I said, "Yes, and dying to a cleave 8 times before the first boss is better than me missing a taunt?"

bowen on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mutilate wrote: »

I wiped an Oculus group by not waiting for our healer to mount his green drake. When someone asked what happened I said I didn't wait for our healer. Everyone was just like "ok whatever" and we finished.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Admitting when you make a mistake and taking responsibility will get you respect from people who act like adults, and bitched at by people who probably wouldn't admit their own mistakes. You mileage will vary, but anybody who can't roll with the punches when somebody makes a mistake or laugh it off needs to learn to chill out anyway.

Also:

Was hopeful: Only had time for random heroic to get my frosts, and not enough time before class to do HPoS to try for Malykriss Vambraces.

Even more hopeful: No plate DPS in the group, so no worries about a DPS needing them main spec.

Hate: They didn't drop. They're one of maybe one or two more things I need out of the ICC 5 mans to get my Ret set to a good place. I really don't want to burn the gold to get 245 bracers crafted for my off spec.

Joshmvii on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Loathe: shitty start to the day. Ran a HUP for my daily frosts that were all low-gear, which is fine (so am I on my tank), but they still did a pretty good job of peeling solo mobs off me while I try to AOE tank.

Then we get to Skadi. First time, the healer stands right next to me the entire time, so of course he gets blitzed. Second time was arguably my fault, though. For some reason, I thought Skadi was untauntable during his whirlwind, so while the healer still stood next to me and only backed up slowly when he started whirling, I didn't know to taunt to give him some room. I'm not sure it would've mattered, but the paladin decided to educate me (not politely), and we got through.

Then the healer died on Ymiron's AOE thing he does that usually lands just before he stuns everyone and said, "whatever," and just released. That, on the other hand, was still not my fault--stop standing next to me, goose! Anyway, I popped a few cooldowns (I maintain not straight gemming for stamina saved me :P) and we made it.

Additional loathe: I lost track of time and had to rush to get ready for work, since I'm used to this taking twenty minutes instead of an hour. I couldn't find my wallet. :(

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited May 2010
    drhazard wrote: »
    Loathe: shitty start to the day. Ran a HUP for my daily frosts that were all low-gear, which is fine (so am I on my tank), but they still did a pretty good job of peeling solo mobs off me while I try to AOE tank.

Then we get to Skadi. First time, the healer stands right next to me the entire time, so of course he gets blitzed. Second time was arguably my fault, though. For some reason, I thought Skadi was untauntable during his whirlwind, so while the healer still stood next to me and only backed up slowly when he started whirling, I didn't know to taunt to give him some room. I'm not sure it would've mattered, but the paladin decided to educate me (not politely), and we got through.

Then the healer died on Ymiron's AOE thing he does that usually lands just before he stuns everyone and said, "whatever," and just released. That, on the other hand, was still not my fault--stop standing next to me, goose! Anyway, I popped a few cooldowns (I maintain not straight gemming for stamina saved me :P) and we made it.

Additional loathe: I lost track of time and had to rush to get ready for work, since I'm used to this taking twenty minutes instead of an hour. I couldn't find my wallet. :(

Being able to taunt Skadi is more of a convenience for the tank than it is an excuse for ranged and healers to be morons and stand next to him, IMO. It's nice for the melee because he's hard to get away from when he starts spinning if you're right on top of him, but if a healer or ranged DPS is closer than 30 yards away from where you're tanking him, that's on them, not you.

Joshmvii on
  • Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Loathe: HPoS, 3 dps doing 1200-1400 dps. Last boss bugs, i leave because I don't have time to wait for everyone to run out and back since they refuse to die.

Love: Tank mace from marrowgar and gun ship shield drop ;) only plate wearing tank booyah.

Thomase1984 on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Love - Last trophy finally, my T9 is all 245'd. No more pugging that 25 every week unless I want to try for the non-existant Solace.

Loathe - "That other druid is only in T9..." That other Druid Also did not die 5 times like you, and doubled your healing output.

I know meters for healing are shit for the most part, but with the same roles I shouldn't double you. And learn to realize that our 4pceT9 is fucking amazing.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
    edited May 2010
    Healing meters are a good measure if someone's participating or not, though. A healer putting out 3k hps while the others are doing 8k, probably getting heal sniped.

A healer putting out <1k while the others are putting out 3-4k, probably being lazy.

Or they're a disc priest. But if bosses are dying and people aren't, then, meh.

bowen on
    edited May 2010
    Or they're a disc priest.

Stop posting healing meters you goosebag druids or I'm going to start posting overheal meters.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited May 2010

Stop posting healing meters you goosebag druids or I'm going to start posting overheal meters.

:^: :lol:

bowen on
    edited May 2010
    I'm usually of the "if bosses are dying who cares" mentality as well.

But this guy just pissed me off and he wasn't pulling his weight.

One thing the meters did show is that I'm pretty sure you could 4 heal ToC25 now, because that 2nd druid really didn't contribuite much at all.

Faction Champs might be the only messy part trying to 4 heal.

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Being able to taunt Skadi is more of a convenience for the tank than it is an excuse for ranged and healers to be morons and stand next to him, IMO. It's nice for the melee because he's hard to get away from when he starts spinning if you're right on top of him, but if a healer or ranged DPS is closer than 30 yards away from where you're tanking him, that's on them, not you.

Yeah, I felt bad enough for not knowing he's tauntable that, when we did down him, I said, "thanks for sticking through that guys, I'm still learning." That being said, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who screwed that up the most. Axe-tornado of doom? Run, do not walk, away.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited May 2010
    We've 4 healed it gnut. Anub was harder than the faction champs. Though getting people to pay attention and run away on the champs is the hardest part.

bowen on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Healing meters are a good measure if someone's participating or not, though. A healer putting out 3k hps while the others are doing 8k, probably getting heal sniped.

A healer putting out <1k while the others are putting out 3-4k, probably being lazy.

Or they're a disc priest. But if bosses are dying and people aren't, then, meh.

True story: We had a Holy pally get depressed because I outhealed him on BQL

As Ret, judging Light

He was assigned to tank heal, and he was doing a great job of it. The healing ability of JoL on that fight with the AoE damage pulse is just silly though.

Nobody on
    edited May 2010
    I miss the days when my VE would top the healing meters :(

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Run the Skada meter, then post the healing + absorbed tracker. Epeen druids who don't work with the rest of the team and don't know better get put in their place this way.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    edited May 2010
    Diorinix wrote: »

Run the Skada meter, then post the healing + absorbed tracker. Epeen druids who don't work with the rest of the team and don't know better get put in their place this way.

That's my favorite combo for 10's, me and a discipline priest. Healing easy mode.

Gnutson on
    edited May 2010
    People who care about healing meters for anything other than an analysis tool for when things go wrong are usually tards.

Once we were doing 10 man ToC a few months back, my wife on her Holy Pally and the other healer we had was a resto Druid. The Druid was always linking healing meters like he was cool because he could map his whole keyboard to WG/Rejuv, turn it upside down and press down on it repeatedly.

One attempt after the Druid was being particularly obnoxious, I told my wife to just stop healing for about 10 seconds and see what happens. Both of us tanks died very quickly, and after we wiped I said "I guess you're too busy watching the recount healing meter and spamming WG/Rejuv to notice that the tanks need heals eh? "

It was all in good fun because we all got along, but really that is how most meter watching healers are.

Joshmvii on
    edited May 2010
    I think I'm going to just uninstall Recount at this point. I used it when gearing my rogue and boomkin spec for my druid, but other than that it's just pretty numbers.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited May 2010
    I think I'm going to just uninstall Recount at this point. I used it when gearing my rogue and boomkin spec for my druid, but other than that it's just pretty numbers.

I still use it after just about every raid to see my crit%, spell breakdown, which non tank took the most healing so I know who to keep an eye on etc.

It's an amazing tool, but like other addons it's just a tool, when used by geese it becomes an annoyance.

Gnutson on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have never used a healing meter and never will. DPS it's really helpful (people here told me I needed to use one as it was the only way I'd get better and they were right). Healers have a very cogent measure of how well they are doing. If everyone is alive and you made it through the fight, hey guess what? The healers are doing it right. As far as seeing where things went wrong, that's usually pretty obvious to the healer, IMO. I can see fights breaking part as it's happening, and looking back on a wipe I can usually critique myself and establish if I could have done something differently.

Regina Fong on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I use it to try to track my improvement on my rogue since we pretty much do the same fights every week i have benchmarks i can either meet, exceed or not hit and i can try to figure out what was wrong or what went better that time.

On my druid i have it set to healing but I don't really care or pay attention to it unless people die for reasons besides instagibs.

It's just like GS in that it CAN be used as a helpful tool... or a bunch of idiots can spam their dps and judge you cause you're not over 9000! It just depends on who has the tool

initiatefailure on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    People who care about healing meters for anything other than an analysis tool for when things go wrong are usually tards.

Once we were doing 10 man ToC a few months back, my wife on her Holy Pally and the other healer we had was a resto Druid. The Druid was always linking healing meters like he was cool because he could map his whole keyboard to WG/Rejuv, turn it upside down and press down on it repeatedly.

One attempt after the Druid was being particularly obnoxious, I told my wife to just stop healing for about 10 seconds and see what happens. Both of us tanks died very quickly, and after we wiped I said "I guess you're too busy watching the recount healing meter and spamming WG/Rejuv to notice that the tanks need heals eh? "

It was all in good fun because we all got along, but really that is how most meter watching healers are.

I've found that it's more useful to review the death summary for the tanks in Recount in terms of analyzing where things went wrong.

Healing meters though, I'll only really look at so I can mouse over what kind of heals a specific healer is using. It's very illuminating to find out that a Disc Priest app is only getting heals from renew and the occasional flash heal.

Nobody on
    edited May 2010
    I use it to try to track my improvement on my rogue since we pretty much do the same fights every week i have benchmarks i can either meet, exceed or not hit and i can try to figure out what was wrong or what went better that time.

On my druid i have it set to healing but I don't really care or pay attention to it unless people die for reasons besides instagibs.

It's just like GS in that it CAN be used as a helpful tool... or a bunch of idiots can spam their dps and judge you cause you're not over 9000! It just depends on who has the tool

I purposely avoided those initials as to not create 5 pages of bickering :p

Gnutson on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    format wrote: »
    It's like night and day the difference between having healers and no healers. Especially WSG and to a lesser extent EotS.

I imagine some people heal in PVE and then want a "break" in PVP so they swap to their boomkin spec or whatever and go to town. But then there's also those of us who heal partly because it's a power trip, and BGs are a great opportunity for that sort of thing. :mrgreen: The people who make me giggle are the ones who are so surprised and grateful when they get heals in a BG. It can make my day.

tehmarken wrote: »
    My guild was very happy when I stopped playing my mage, because at the end of every raid I always put up a random portal. People never bother to check, and so I often got angry chatter from people ending up in Theramore ;p

I think my guild has been quite well-trained to avoid this due to our mage with Atiesh. At least people who foolishly took the portal to Karazhan at the end of every raid would find a portal to Dalaran waiting there for them.

riz on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember doing a pug ToC 25 a long while back that broke down on faction champs. But prior to that we wiped on Jaraxxus a few times horribly. The raid leader had this moronic idea that a single healer (me) should be assigned to heal off all the incinerate flesh. This is a poor idea for multiple reasons, and needless to say we wiped until they changed their strategy, and I got yelled at a lot. I got a whisper from a silly goose fellow priest who asked why my numbers were so low compared to his when I had better gear. He was assigned to raid healing, and of course, I was trying to handle all the incinerate flesh on my own.

I almost ragequit at that point, but instead suggested a strategy change, and then we got past it. But I was burning with anger, because I know most of the raid was privately blaming me and assuming I just couldn't cut it.

Regina Fong on
This discussion has been closed.