As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Love, Loathe, LoL and Lulls

• MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I keep my eyes on the meters just for fun. Really, with the way splash damage comes down now you almost have to keep the raid group constantly "prep healed". Even showing absorbed or overhealing would not "put a healer in their place" per se. It is annoying though when people constantly want to post meters to show how awesome they are.

Mutilate on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    I have never used a healing meter and never will. DPS it's really helpful (people here told me I needed to use one as it was the only way I'd get better and they were right). Healers have a very cogent measure of how well they are doing. If everyone is alive and you made it through the fight, hey guess what? The healers are doing it right. As far as seeing where things went wrong, that's usually pretty obvious to the healer, IMO. I can see fights breaking part as it's happening, and looking back on a wipe I can usually critique myself and establish if I could have done something differently.

The tank usually knows before you do, too, and they know way before the dps does. It's pretty obvious when I see my OT screw up and I go "So do you want me to DI someone?" in 25 man, and they're like "for what, we just lost someone, we can battl... oh my go..what the .. DI ME DI ME"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    People who care about healing meters for anything other than an analysis tool for when things go wrong are usually tards.

Once we were doing 10 man ToC a few months back, my wife on her Holy Pally and the other healer we had was a resto Druid. The Druid was always linking healing meters like he was cool because he could map his whole keyboard to WG/Rejuv, turn it upside down and press down on it repeatedly.

One attempt after the Druid was being particularly obnoxious, I told my wife to just stop healing for about 10 seconds and see what happens. Both of us tanks died very quickly, and after we wiped I said "I guess you're too busy watching the recount healing meter and spamming WG/Rejuv to notice that the tanks need heals eh? "

It was all in good fun because we all got along, but really that is how most meter watching healers are.

I've found that it's more useful to review the death summary for the tanks in Recount in terms of analyzing where things went wrong.

Healing meters though, I'll only really look at so I can mouse over what kind of heals a specific healer is using. It's very illuminating to find out that a Disc Priest app is only getting heals from renew and the occasional flash heal.

Yep, healing meters on recount are highly useful on progression content. To be a good raid leader, you need to know that one of your priests isn't casting prayer of mending, your holy paladin isn't keeping up their judgements of the pure, etc., and as you said, the death summary is very useful for those situations where everybody insists they were spamming the tank before he died, only to find out he didn't get any heals except HoTs for the last 10 seconds of his life. :mrgreen:

Joshmvii on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Another part of why I switched to healing is exactly that. Meters and WOL have their purpose, but there are lots of factors in any given fight that affect why Ranged DPS #1 did a lot more damage than Ranged DPS #4 besides gear and skill (who got hit with more bone spikes/fires, who removed more curses or sheeped more mind-controlled targets, who switched to adds and who ignored them). But people tend to think about that stuff less when it comes to DPS and lolmeters are the first thing people see and comment on. With healers, sure they can get competitive, but anyone half-intelligent about healing knows that it doesn't REALLY matter because healing depends so much on your class and role in the fight.

riz on
    edited May 2010
    riz wrote: »
    Another part of why I switched to healing is exactly that. Meters and WOL have their purpose, but there are lots of factors in any given fight that affect why Ranged DPS #1 did a lot more damage than Ranged DPS #4 besides gear and skill (who got hit with more bone spikes/fires, who removed more curses or sheeped more mind-controlled targets, who switched to adds and who ignored them). But people tend to think about that stuff less when it comes to DPS and lolmeters are the first thing people see and comment on. With healers, sure they can get competitive, but anyone half-intelligent about healing knows that it doesn't REALLY matter because healing depends so much on your class and role in the fight.

The hunter we kicked out tried to use this "I was switching to the frozen orbs on toravon, that's why my dps is only 2.5K!"

And then I posted the recount and it was something like:
    Damage done of last fight:
    Toravon       2043020(2300) 100%

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    riz wrote: »

Could remove healing from that sentance and it would still be right imo.

Same holds true for dps and probably tanks. I'm betting the tps for the abom tank is pretty low during putricide.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    drhazard wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Or they're a disc priest.

Stop posting healing meters you goosebag druids or I'm going to start posting overheal meters.

World of Logs is great for stuff like this. My Disc Priest is almost always last on the raw healing done meters, but if you look at WoL and factor in my shields? Almost always first.

I should try Skada though. Does it have the same kind of "ability used" breakdowns Recount has?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When people post damage meters to see who was the lowest one I pull out Sarias'{or however you spell his name} meter of fun!
    WoWScrnShot_051410_195052.jpg

Brainleech on
    edited May 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    When people post damage meters to see who was the lowest one I pull out Sarias'{or however you spell his name} meter of fun!
    WoWScrnShot_051410_195052.jpg

Looks like Hexangle is overcaring IMO.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    I read cryally as cryinganal.

bowen on
    edited May 2010
    I read cryally as cryinganal.

Is there any other kind? Be honest here.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    I read cryally as [crying]anal.

/2'd

Gnutson on
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Or they're a disc priest.

Stop posting healing meters you goosebag druids or I'm going to start posting overheal meters.

World of Logs is great for stuff like this. My Disc Priest is almost always last on the raw healing done meters, but if you look at WoL and factor in my shields? Almost always first.

I should try Skada though. Does it have the same kind of "ability used" breakdowns Recount has?

It does, but is much less user-friendly than recount. On the other hand, it is much less of a resource drain on your machine than recount as well.

Pros: Lightweight, shows absorbs, accurate.
    Cons: Less intuitive, more confusing to navigate.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    World of Logs makes me really, really glad they're revamping the way healing and raid damage works

50+ percent overhealing is ridiculous.

Javen on
    edited May 2010
    It's bad design to require constant healing across the raid as a "just in case". I am all for being proactive but I think this may be a little too proactive.

Mutilate on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, right now health bars are almost entirely irrelevant. In its current form most players are either 'completely alive' or 'completely dead' with very very little in between.

Hell, I don't even know why warlocks bother to make health stones anymore, since most of the time by the time the person using them goes to use it, they've either got a heal incoming or they're already dead.

Javen on
    edited May 2010
    It all started in SWP....That's when the philosophy made the full on switch to GCD locked healing I think. There were plenty of fights earlier on where certain people had to be healed fast when something was cast on them in order to save them, but SWP was when it really got to where we are now.

Of course even in Wrath, there were some fights designed without that. Malygos I think was a well designed encounter(excepting P3 because I am not down with not getting to shield slam even if only for one phase), but P1 and 2 didn't have people getting instantly gibbed. Healers had to get creative during the air phase if you didn't have holy priests or resto druids, but most of the time as long as you healed everybody a little you could land and then get everybody topped back off, and P2 didn't have anybody getting gibbed unless they stood outside the bubbles of protection like a goofball.

I long for the days of fights where the complexity was in many people having to do many jobs, like Vashj and Kael'thas, rather than everything doing enough damage to one shot people(I'm looking at you Firefighter.)

Oh, and to give a little more props to Blizz, Yogg was an amazing fight. Great design on that IMO.

Joshmvii on
  • SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well if a bad healer is healing me(usually found out by HEALING METERS! OMG) i use it. Eg toravon, koralon, when in melee or the breath they do. Marrowgars bone storm, a tick of defile(?) or frost bolt from Deathwhisper. Why wouldnt you use it to at least heal your self so a healer doesnt have to? Stay alive and hope or wait for a heal.
    DPS mentality is(and it pisses me off), is healer has to heal me. I dont have any responsibility to staying alive or avoiding damage, its going to kill me anyway. No its not. Learn to move, or avoid shit. Learn to take a pot, or healthstone. Every fight, has something where damage can almost be nullified by a healthstone and pot. Or at least give you that threshold to survive it again. Every stinking fight. If you are taking that much damage that you would die in 1 shot or 2 shots, something is going horribly wrong in the fight anyway.

Sammich on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There was a period of time where I noticed people were ignoring the rock showers and rogues were ignoring the whirl/novas in Vault just because they expected to get healed through it.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited May 2010
    We had this come up last week during ToC 10. DPS would do stupid things (yes, stand in the fire. That makes perfect sense)and get killed and then blame the healers. Our GM is a healer and he and I were duo healing the raid and he went off on a few people. It is a stupid mentality to assume that DPS can do whatever because a healer must heal them. I even had a guy not release and run back on a wipe in a heroic stating that rezzing was the healers job and I needed to do my job. I left the group and found another one in about 10 seconds.

Mutilate on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Yeah, right now health bars are almost entirely irrelevant. In its current form most players are either 'completely alive' or 'completely dead' with very very little in between.

Hell, I don't even know why warlocks bother to make health stones anymore, since most of the time by the time the person using them goes to use it, they've either got a heal incoming or they're already dead.

Eh, it depends on the fight.

As a result though, usually I only summon a soulwell if the raid just started, if someone asks or if I personally used one.

Some fights are definitely balls out terrible for using health stones (like heroic saurfang).

I will say this though: most unit frame addons use some sort of LibCommHeal library to send info to the raid about incoming heals, and this can be really helpful for determining whether to use a healthstone/health pot/cooldown/etc. Edt: it sends it out of band (meaning, via the hidden addon channel), but any unit frame that supports it can show info about how much healing you have incoming.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    I hate that mentality of "why bother" Use a health pot, use a healthstone, stay alive and if you die then you die.

But if you die with a healthstone in your inventory and your health potion off cooldown, barkskin off cooldown, demonic circle unused, etc, your not doing everything you can to defeat the encounter.

That goes for dps, heals, tanks everyone.

Gnutson on
  • SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not running back after a wipe is a huge pet peeve for me as well. Especially for TOC.. goddamit you rez like 20 feet away!. Unfortunately for healers tho, and it comes with the job, is that its up to the tank and you for the raid to survive. If you dont heal that idiot dps, chances are even more slim that you will complete the fight, or it will take a lot longer and the dps wont learn anyway. You rarely can go out of your way to teach dps a lesson because it will usually harm the raid. Dps have imo, the easiest tasks in the game(avoid shit), but hardest to master(uber dps, while avoiding shit). Tanks are usually start hard and stay hard(usually made harder by dps), healers go from mind numbing easy to, F me, im going to kill you all after this is done)

Sammich on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There was a period of time where I noticed people were ignoring the rock showers and rogues were ignoring the whirl/novas in Vault just because they expected to get healed through it.

Heroic Nexus, I am healing, we are fighting Ormorok, his spikes pop up that warn people to move off them, a mage with under 16k max health stays where he is. He had taken damage from reflect and had some of those little plants that respawn attacking him. So he wasn't even moving into the paladins consecrate to get the adds off him. I didn't feel bad about him dying, I didn't apologize for it either, I just rezzed him healed him and used my innervate on him because I hadn't used it at all this instance.

DPS who refuse to react to things like that deserve their repair bills.

Seg on
    edited May 2010
    The best DPSers are the ones that realize even though they're a Frost or Unholy DK there are still times when it would be better for the raid if they used a Death Strike, if they're a Ret Paladin using an AoW proc to Flash themselves and miss an Exo, Enhancement Shamans using a MW5 to cast Healing Wave or Chain Heal, etc.

There are times when you can let the healers do all the work, and there are times when even though it's not your fault you took damage you will benefit the raid more by doing these things. Generally the players who already do these things end up as some of your best performers, in spite of the personal DPS they give up to use their utility.

For any DPSers out there who go out of their way to interrupt adds even though it costs them epeen on Recount and utilize your classes utility to the fullest, your raid leaders really do appreciate what you do. :mrgreen:

The best Feral Druid I ever played with came out of cat form to use tranquility and saved a wipe on our first successful ZA Bear run during a boss. You just can't replace that kind of utility and quick thinking with a little more DPS.

It's part of the reason I love being a tank, because I don't have to worry about where I am on the meters, so I do things like HoJ and Avenger's Shield blood beasts to slow them down, abuse Hand of Freedom/Protection on any fights where I can get any benefit out of them, etc. Most people who play hybrids don't even come close to utilizing all their abilities, but for me, it's the most fun thing about playing them. Pure DPS have this to a smaller extent, but usually not as many tools to work with.

Joshmvii on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Loathe: Tank deciding to ignore the other two people telling him which way to go in Mara Purple (at the beginning he jumped off the ledge). This directly leads to a wipe. Sorry, I'm not hanging around to heal a tank who can't listen to basic directions.

Nobody on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was in a group for Less-Rabi, and someone was explaining the stun/silence rotation. They decided to have the rogue kick for the first cast. His response was, "hold on, let me put it back on my bars." D:

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited May 2010

For any DPSers out there who go out of their way to interrupt adds even though it costs them epeen on Recount and utilize your classes utility to the fullest, your raid leaders really do appreciate what you do. :mrgreen:

And here is where we talk about pug vs regular group. The regular raid leader appreciates it, the pug leader, he's bitching at the boomkin that kept the MC'd people perma cycloned for doing low dps, or telling the rogue that perma locked down a healer in faction champs to pick it up.

I've seen these exact comments and so many more.

Which helps the attidue of "why bother, my dps is leet olo"

God I need to find a regular raid group

Gnutson on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I definitely will use MW5 to cast a heal, and if I know it's going to be a really shitty fight I will move the chain heal button to the spot where I normally keep my chain lightning button right before the fight so I don't even have to think about what I'm going to use, it will just be a heal. Yes this lowers my dps, sometimes you have to sacrifice some personal deeps so the whole party can continue doing the mad deeps.

Regina Fong on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The best DPSers are the ones that realize even though they're a Frost or Unholy DK there are still times when it would be better for the raid if they used a Death Strike, if they're a Ret Paladin using an AoW proc to Flash themselves and miss an Exo, Enhancement Shamans using a MW5 to cast Healing Wave or Chain Heal, etc.

There are times when you can let the healers do all the work, and there are times when even though it's not your fault you took damage you will benefit the raid more by doing these things. Generally the players who already do these things end up as some of your best performers, in spite of the personal DPS they give up to use their utility.

The best Feral Druid I ever played with came out of cat form to use tranquility and saved a wipe on our first successful ZA Bear run during a boss. You just can't replace that kind of utility and quick thinking with a little more DPS.

It's part of the reason I love being a tank, because I don't have to worry about where I am on the meters, so I do things like HoJ and Avenger's Shield blood beasts to slow them down, abuse Hand of Freedom/Protection on any fights where I can get any benefit out of them, etc. Most people who play hybrids don't even come close to utilizing all their abilities, but for me, it's the most fun thing about playing them. Pure DPS have this to a smaller extent, but usually not as many tools to work with.

This is why I love being a shadow priest :)

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

And here is where we talk about pug vs regular group. The regular raid leader appreciates it, the pug leader, he's bitching at the boomkin that kept the MC'd people perma cycloned for doing low dps, or telling the rogue that perma locked down a healer in faction champs to pick it up.

I've seen these exact comments and so many more.

Which helps the attidue of "why bother, my dps is leet olo"

God I need to find a regular raid group

9 moar lvls! And i think Jaded talking to some peeps (Mord and Blue) about faction transfers too!

I am actually itching to try out some of the shaman stuff in a raid type setting, granted doesn't seem to have as much utility like my priesty. I will miss dispersion, and probably go looking for it a few times...

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Neyla wrote: »

This is why I love being a shadow priest :)

Being able to drop form to chain both hymns before switching back to DPS is really nice.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited May 2010
    I was in a group for Less-Rabi, and someone was explaining the stun/silence rotation. They decided to have the rogue kick for the first cast. His response was, "hold on, let me put it back on my bars." D:

That reminds me of an old story back during Vanilla WoW. I was leveling my Druid who was a NE at the time and was working through Redridge. I ended up grouping up with a random Rogue who was working the same quests. I think we were working on a kill quest and the packs up there used to be pretty big for that level. We are working out our kill strat and I tell him to sap one of the mobs to which he replies "Sap? I don't have that. It didn't look useful. I can see now where it may come in handy."

I used to have a screen shot of the convo but I lost it somewhere a long the way.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010

This makes me cry on the inside. It doesn't surprise me at all though. The average rogue/DK/fury warrior doesn't even realize the reasons why you use these things. I think a lot of people see them as they're levelling up and think "Oh that's for pvp and I won't do that."

I helped a group get Less-rabi the other day that had a DK, Rogue, Mage, and me tanking on my Warrior. It was a high DPS group so I told them(Rogue or DK get the first one), Mage CS the second one and we'll get the achievement no problem. The mage is like "I don't know if I can mine isn't as easy to use," so I quickly explained to him that it's not on the GCD and if he has stopcast macroed into it like he should then he can hit it anytime and it'll work(I'm sure he didn't given the circumstances.)

Anyway, the rogue kicked the first transform as soon as it popped up instead of holding back for the slow cast like he should've, then the mage didn't even come close to getting the 2nd one. I just watched and shield bashed the second one and the boss died almost immediately after the 2nd one anyway so they got their Less-rabi and all was happy, but it always bums me out to see DPSers who aren't proficient at interrupting properly.

Joshmvii on
    edited May 2010
    I remember not training certain spells on my druid, but I also had a terrible time getting enough gold, so I had to defer buying them until after I hit 60.

Man, how have things changed...

End on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skill training is expensive early on, compared to your piddly intake of copper from quests and the extremely worthless trash that drops.

But every time I find myself feeling sorry for genuine nubs I kick myself and remind myself that one stack of copper/peacebloom/light leather will keep you trained up until level 15.

-edit-

And when I started playing we didn't even have auction houses everywhere. If you were a Night Elf or a Tauren you were fucked for using the auction house.

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it is a lot easier now than it used to be.

I also was leveling up leatherworking on my druid synchronous with my normal leveling, so...yeah, that's where most of money had been going.

It's safe to say I know a lot more about the game now. :P

End on
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Skill training is expensive early on, compared to your piddly intake of copper from quests and the extremely worthless trash that drops.

But every time I find myself feeling sorry for genuine nubs I kick myself and remind myself that one stack of copper/peacebloom/light leather will keep you trained up until level 15.

-edit-

And when I started playing we didn't even have auction houses everywhere. If you were a Night Elf or a Tauren you were fucked for using the auction house.

BAck in the early days of WoW too money was much harder to come by and some people (I am looking at the FFXI players) were used to not buying all spells every level as some were simply not going to be used. Current Wow, short of being a firt time toon, there should not be any reason to not have all skills.

Mutilate on
    edited May 2010
    Man, when I started my Druid, I was rafing with my son. And still on a trial so unable to trade.

Let me tell you no trading and raf levels of xp means very little training gets done.

Gnutson on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, I think I just witnessed one of the signs of the apocalypse.

In a VoA10 the mammoth dropped off the ice boss.

The raid leader didn't ninja it. I didn't really expect him to since he was in a reputable guild, but others did.

That wasn't the miracle though.

The guy gave the loot to the wrong person. Someone won a roll with a 100 but he gave it to some random no guild no gear scrub.

However instead of taking it and running, the guy actually gave it to the person who actually won the roll.

zomg.

EDIT: While typing this post it struck me how impossibly depressing it is that this occurrence is so shocking and that I wasn't even going to be remotely shocked or surprised if either the RL or the mis-looter ninja'd it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

This discussion has been closed.