As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

skate ....4???

• Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    hey so someone give me some help on the thrasher challenge Thar She Blows, where you have to transfer hip to hip in some pool. i cant do that shit for the life of me.

It actually wasn't that bad. The trick is to pump whenever you can.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey everybody! I made a video!

Of random clips, noodling around since I got the game last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKCe9ZKVGCo

xzzy on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nice stuff! i can't seem to motivate myself to play on hardcore mode. i just like normal too much.

Local H Jay on
    edited May 2010
    Hardcore does get pretty frustrating at times, but I really dig doing low-pop tricks when I can.

To me, it looks smoother when dude just barely gets enough height to land a trick, unlike easy mode which seems to launch you 6 feet in the air then drop you back down. Normal is pretty decent, but interferes when trying to manual narrow surfaces and the like.

xzzy on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I was really proud of the rail work I had on those two clips I posted. The second one was probably an hour of that same spot.

I just learned that down on the d-pad makes pedestrians run away. That is the best thing. They always seem to congregate around where I land.

UEAKCrash on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those that wish to join the Dukes of Dongtown.... how does one go about making you a friend so I can invite you?

Link me your profile or something...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the invite xzzy. I'll probably be hopping on for a few hours tonight in the next 30 minutes or so if anyone is around.

Edit: So this was interesting... In a 1up game against Cardiel. All tied up at 1u each. I'm setting the score and do this:

http://skate.ea.com/user/gallery?personaId=756307&platform=xbox#itemId=267851

What does he to do to follow that? Bails dropping into the pool and I win. So awesome.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    awesome vids so far guys, I need to try to put some stuff together.

troublebrewing on
    edited May 2010
    I just made an early version of "Dongtown" featuring as close as I could get to making a wang pool. That shit is hard (HEH.) Also it's almost maxed out completely in props and terrain.

The screenshot shows everything BUT the pool. Tell me what you guys think, I tried to make some decent lines in it.

UEAKCrash on
    edited May 2010
    I think you linked to your "my parks" page, rather than the one we can access. Because I just get a blank page.

xzzy on
    edited May 2010
    I have no idea how to link it then. The "share/ download" button gives me that link.

Search my name or get it off the skate.feed for now I guess.

edit: Try this http://skate.ea.com/user/gallery?contentType=PARK&personaId=187815214&platform=xbox

UEAKCrash on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, I loved Skate but never played Skate 2. I just watched the review on gametrailers and things look pretty good - yay for being able to get off your board! Some of the footage they showed has me worried that the environments are leaning toward a wacky tony hawk vibe (maybe I just saw some "mega park" or something). Reassure me that I can still skate around in realistic areas that are a lot of fun. And tell me that Skate 3 >= Skate 2 so I can feel good about skipping the 2nd one.

krylon666 on
    edited May 2010
    Yes to it being better that 2. Yes to there being lots of realistic-ish spots (realistic in the sense that skateboarding is really popular in the area, so almost everywhere is somewhat designed to skate on.) Although there is a little bit of that "wacky" seeping in. It's not really prevalent, but I think they have been going a little too overboard with some spots.

Although the did introduce Hardcore mode which has some pretty realistic skate physics behind it.

UEAKCrash on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some of the own the lot challenges are teetering on silly point score requirements that are making them hard to finish.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited May 2010
    What's up the the website's listing of board sales? Are those just for online even though it says total? It has me currently listed at 475,938 total boards sold when at the end of last week I had over 600k total when I check in game and after last night actually have over 850k. Not a huge issue by any means, but it's bugging me a little.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited May 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »
    Some of the own the lot challenges are teetering on silly point score requirements that are making them hard to finish.

Yes, fuck the black box OTL. And fuck the mooflah or whatever it's called on. 5000 points on a single trick? Fuck you right up the ass, game.

I really, really dislike how you can only get credit for tricks that are on the screen. You can't open with the hard ones, so you have to waste a bunch of time doing all the easy shit to unlock the hard ones.. at which point you're short on time and scrambling to pull it off.

xzzy on
    edited May 2010
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Yes to it being better that 2. Yes to there being lots of realistic-ish spots (realistic in the sense that skateboarding is really popular in the area, so almost everywhere is somewhat designed to skate on.) Although there is a little bit of that "wacky" seeping in. It's not really prevalent, but I think they have been going a little too overboard with some spots.

Although the did introduce Hardcore mode which has some pretty realistic skate physics behind it.

Cool, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear.

I loved how the first one had the suburbs, downtown/commercial, and industrial areas all that felt like real spots. Then they sprinkled in some skate parks and it was good to go. As long as I can free skate around in 3 and have it actually feel like a regular city - with some crazy shit here and there - I'll be stoked. If the entire city looks purposefully contrived to let you grind the entire thing I'd be disappointed. Basically, I'm not looking for the fantasy skate world crap, just let me skate around and discover some cool spots to try tricks on.

Hell, whenever I go and play Skate I usually end up back at the school doing tricks on those rails - cause that's just some classic shit right there.

krylon666 on
    edited May 2010
    Skate 3 is much more open to skaters than previous games.. I don't think I've seen a single spot that said "you can't skate here". Everything seems like it was designed to be gapped or ground.

It only feels like a real city if you can suspend your disbelief.

There are some spots that feel "real" if you hunt around, but nowhere near the amount that previous games had. For the most part it's perfectly aligned stair cases with perfectly laid out hand rails, flower boxes perfectly placed at the bottom of a hill, convenient ramps every time there's a staircase.. stuff like that.

xzzy on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    speaking of the black box own the lot, i cant wallride up out of that ramp at all. i guess i dont really know how to wallride. anyone have any tips on that?

edit: ha, apparently theres a cheat to unlock Isaac from Dead Space as your skater. thats something. http://skate.ea.com/user/gallery?personaId=180741899&platform=ps3

Ah_Pook on
    edited May 2010
    holy crap, some people are way too good with the graphics creation tool D:

Ah_Pook on
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of that, do we have a LoD logo for clothes/boards to sport yet? I'd offer up to make one, but my graphic skills are terrible.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited May 2010
    No, no one's stepped up to the plate. It's your chance to shine!

xzzy on
    edited May 2010
    If I get some time after lunch I'll tinker with the creator some.

AngrySquirrel on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Some of those are hacked, I know the SA goons figured out a way to upload images for 2. Looks like someone's doing it again.

I tried my hand at making a logo, and it was going really good (just a copy of the PA logo with "Lords of Dongtown") I was working (way too) hard to make the text look just right (which meant using the one similar looking font in blue, and then filling it in with about a billion white squares), I matched the colors using the hex codes, everything.

Then the damn thing glitched out and froze up on me. Over an hour of work for nothing.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
    edited May 2010
    The skate 3 graphics are legit.. the reason the skate 2 one could be hacked was because the communication between the creator and the server wasn't encrypted. When they fixed it, they started using RSA encryption on the images. Skate 3 continues this behavior.. I don't know that there's anyone playing skate with enough determination to break an RSA key.

xzzy on
    edited May 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Skate 3 is much more open to skaters than previous games.. I don't think I've seen a single spot that said "you can't skate here". Everything seems like it was designed to be gapped or ground.

It only feels like a real city if you can suspend your disbelief.

There are some spots that feel "real" if you hunt around, but nowhere near the amount that previous games had. For the most part it's perfectly aligned stair cases with perfectly laid out hand rails, flower boxes perfectly placed at the bottom of a hill, convenient ramps every time there's a staircase.. stuff like that.

That's more what I meant by real (planters, hand rails, big sets), so that's fine. Basically, I liked pretty much everything I saw here: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-skate-3/100119 and I hated what I saw from the 10 second to 15 second mark of this: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-skate-3/100165

krylon666 on
    edited May 2010
    krylon666 wrote: »

snap, how do you unlock the balaclava the guy is wearing in this review? i havent seen it...

Ah_Pook on
  • StorkStork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's the Ps3 scene looking like for the PA crowd? It seems I end up in ghost-townsville when I play online most of the time.

Stork on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nickle wrote: »

Some of those are hacked, I know the SA goons figured out a way to upload images for 2. Looks like someone's doing it again.

I tried my hand at making a logo, and it was going really good (just a copy of the PA logo with "Lords of Dongtown") I was working (way too) hard to make the text look just right (which meant using the one similar looking font in blue, and then filling it in with about a billion white squares), I matched the colors using the hex codes, everything.

Then the damn thing glitched out and froze up on me. Over an hour of work for nothing.

I've made up a logo that's suitable for clothing. Has a PA style logo with "Dongtown" written and sillioettes of Gabe and Tycho on a light blue background. Should be under "LoD Shadows".

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    The skate 3 graphics are legit.. the reason the skate 2 one could be hacked was because the communication between the creator and the server wasn't encrypted. When they fixed it, they started using RSA encryption on the images. Skate 3 continues this behavior.. I don't know that there's anyone playing skate with enough determination to break an RSA key.

Huh. I could of sworn when I looked at the site the other day I saw a bunch of graphics that were just actual pictures of people.

I do not see them now. I am thinking it was a fever dream.

Nickle on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There's some incredible work that you can tell has been done with the creator. The best I can do is push a couple of shapes together and hope they look half-decent.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited May 2010

Damn that sucks. My skate 2 guy is still sporting that LoD logo you made (at least I think it was you and it looks like what you are describing above) for Skate 2 on both a shirt and his board. Too bad there isn't a way to export the one from 2 into 3.

AngrySquirrel on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    speaking of the black box own the lot, i cant wallride up out of that ramp at all. i guess i dont really know how to wallride. anyone have any tips on that?

edit: ha, apparently theres a cheat to unlock Isaac from Dead Space as your skater. thats something. http://skate.ea.com/user/gallery?personaId=180741899&platform=ps3

yeah i've been following them on facebook and they have a bunch of different "cheat codes" to unlock different shit.

"miniskaters" "zombies" "deadspacetoo"

troublebrewing on
    edited May 2010

Damn that sucks. My skate 2 guy is still sporting that LoD logo you made (at least I think it was you and it looks like what you are describing above) for Skate 2 on both a shirt and his board. Too bad there isn't a way to export the one from 2 into 3.

If it's the one with the swooping arrow that looks kind of like a dong when it's upside down and the logo in the top corner (upside down well, you know), yeah, that was mine.

I was so proud of that.

Nickle on
    edited May 2010

If it's the one with the swooping arrow that looks kind of like a dong when it's upside down and the logo in the top corner (upside down well, you know), yeah, that was mine.

I was so proud of that.
    Sounds right. You can kinda see it on my shirt and board here:
    http://skatereel.ea.com/members/1/756307/560103.aspx Loved that logo and know it had to have been a bitch to make. Great work man.

Edit: Actually here is the original: http://skate.ea.com/graphicscreator/gallery.action?assetId=8af888d81ef3d159011f0773018f6410 Totally yours. Once again awesome work man.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited May 2010

I was so proud of that.
    http://skatereel.ea.com/members/1/756307/560103.aspx Loved that logo and know it had to have been a bitch to make. Great work man.

Edit: Actually here is the original: http://skate.ea.com/graphicscreator/gallery.action?assetId=8af888d81ef3d159011f0773018f6410 Totally yours. Once again awesome work man.

Yep. I had no idea anyone used it!

I wish I could just import that and fill in those letters (the crucial step I tried to fix when I used the skate 3 creator).

Nickle on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I found the graphics creator works from my computer at work, so I've spent my spare minutes tooling around with it from there.

One of the paint splats looks like a city when you turn it upside down
    http://skate.ea.com/user/gallery?contentType=GRAPHIC&personaId=181542714&platform=xbox

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited May 2010

I was so proud of that.

I wish I could just import that and fill in those letters (the crucial step I tried to fix when I used the skate 3 creator).
    Yeah I really don't see why they don't have an import function to move custom work from 2 to 3. Then again they still can't put a stable site together...

AngrySquirrel on
    edited May 2010

I was so proud of that.

Yeah I really don't see why they don't have an import function to move custom work from 2 to 3. Then again they still can't put a stable site together...

I bet it's technically possible. The graphics creater encodes your data into an xml file.. if one could extract this xml file and insert into a skate 3 data stream, it might work. Really depends on if the file format changed or not.

Is it worth the effort? I'm not sure. :)

xzzy on
    edited May 2010
    Any comments on Dongtown?

I'm going to tweak the color scheme to be PA related soon. Except the flesh tone wang pool.

UEAKCrash on