As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXI] LEVEL CAP 99 HERE WE COOOMMMME

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A thf with an evasion set is a pretty scary thing. My gf and I duo'd charby (the joyeuse NM) down to 30% with her thf evasion set, complete with melody earrings and me on rdm/brd before our help arrived. It was great too because the 5 man jpn party that just wiped to it was trying to spam spells on us the whole time.

I'm not sure about mnk but sam/nin can hold out for quite a while and a well geared mnk/nin with high guard can tank a lot of stuff.

anyways, this is what a liked a lot about FFXI, with the right gear/merits/ability you can do some pretty crazy stuff with a little creativity
    I really hope that carries over into FFXIV

edit: oh have they added any of the new sch relic? I was still having big resists on a lot of HNM with my sch with most of the good macc skill and int gear.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sch is apparently the one job where race still matters. Specifically the tarutaru int bonus lets them nuke the highest end magic things while all other races fall behind. We'll see what happens in the level cap raises though.

And mnk tanks can hold out extremely well if geared right. Counterstance is amazing, although guard falls short and is hard to level. MNK/DNC works exceedingly well though since you can take advantage of capped guard.

That's why I'm excited for NIN/MNK. A- evasion, A- parry, all sets of shadows, 50% (theory) counter rate through counterstance, blind (Kurayami), slow (Hojo), and paralyze (Jubaku). It's practically begging any mob that doesn't spam -gas or triple attack to even try and touch them.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
    edited May 2010
    I have seen a nin/thf solo the sirroco kukri NM with his mercenary (adventuring fellow? I forget) it was pretty nuts. I imagine nin/mnk at 80+ will be a much stronger version of that.

have they said anything about nin getting a 3rd utsusemi spell at higher levels?

TheStig on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    L67, fighting Colibri. Been fighting Colibri since 1 PM. That's 12 hours of pink fucking birds, and I have another 4-5 hours to go AT LEAST before I hit 70 and am able to go do my Maat fight.

All so I can... do it again for another 24-30 hours to hit 75. Uggguuuuh.

Had a Stop Having Fun Guy give me a "=/" when I showed up with a Katana. Well sor-fucking-ie that I didn't know every fight after Level 37 would be against the same EXACT mob, just a different adjective in front of it's name.

But he didn't give me lip afterwards, and it's the first one, so I can forgive. I've been meaning to get a polearm, but:

1. The market for "post-Colibri" Polearms is a bit nuts. 30,000g and up. The only remotely affordable one is an Orc-somethingorother.
    2. Somehow I don't think showing up to a party with a 6 in polearm skill would go over too well. ;)

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    Hagun is better anyway... <.< >.>

TheStig on
    edited May 2010
    yeah, like I can find 1.5 million bucks for a Hagun. :P It was a miracle when I got my Haubby.

KiTA on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sandy is first again on Carbuncle.

We too Gustaberg again but not Sarutabaruta. :(

EDIT: Does anyone who's done the anniversary events in the past know if there's a specific order to the moogle rewards when waiting?

It seems like if you don't wait it is for sure an angelwing. Second is an Adventurer's Certificate.

EDIT EDIT: Discussion pages on the events says no.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah.....I was able to knock out kolshushu and gustaberg supply runs to help with travel this week, I previously thought you could only do one a week instead of one at a time

Also if any sack holders from the carby guild can do a sea all kalbus when they log in at night I'd appreciate it, quadav just don't make good company anymore and I'd love to group/ bcnm/mission up. I finally want to kill shadowlord this time around

draw4wild on
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Be prepared for disappointment,

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/addon/index.html

Under the Product Details has the obvious glaring issue, who can spot it first gets +1 on their sucks to be us card.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited May 2010
    Can't see it at work, new credit card problems?

Tag on
    edited May 2010
    I don't see it?

Only things I can see are mention that you need RoZ and WoTG, which we kinda already figured out; we need PlayOnline (knew that)...

Supported Systems are PS2, PC, 360 -- was the PS3 ever a supported system for FF11?

$9.99 is a bit high, but I think that's about what we expected to pay, isn't it?

Battles are 30+ with the intent appearing to be 75-80+?

What's the glaring issue?

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    Battle Area Add-on

Of course that could mean a number of things but going by their typical jargon it looks like the new areas are Dynamis/Limbus/etc areas.

I'm actually just trying to throw kindle on the fire since it still could be an actual "expansion" with all three, I just don't like the wording

WillisIVIIX on
    edited May 2010
    I still don't see what the issue is.

That is what was expected...what is the issue?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2010
    We already knew most of the expansion plans were in instanced combat -- i.e., Dynamis, Limbus, etc. Just focusing on soloing and small groups.

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    Like I said I was only throwing kindle on the fire, I knew it was a battle area (whatever that ends up meaning) but some people are up in arms since we're not getting "lawls mithra homeland", alright failed trolling oh well I'll get you guys next time. So now we know we need Rise and Wings, I'm hoping we'll get errr (A) versions of Grauberg/Inlet/Fort, instead of the obvious tied to Maws and possibly walk of echoes.

Biggest disappointment the pink Noct set, I had hoped the set was glitched from the .dat mining, but come on SE.... Really? I don't wanna be Mr. Pink, how about Mr. Black?

WillisIVIIX on
    edited May 2010
    Pink Noct Set? I have Noct+1, a classy black.

Edit: Finally got home and looked, GAH!

Tag on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I want to log in, I have no time to play right now!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited May 2010
    pink noct aside both those pictures seem to take place in an alternate La'theine, whatever that means.

Also that pally looks awesome. I wants that sword. The armor is nice too even though it's just a white variant on the Royal X Armor.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2010
    Apparently the dat mined RDM AF3 is purple..... Let me see if I can get a pic....
    200px-Haudrale.jpg

Probably not the final version based on the PLD and BLM pics I've seen.

Then again the based on the site, MNK and DNC AFs are shown but don't seem to be very different.

WillisIVIIX on
  • EdwinOfThayEdwinOfThay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apparently the dat mined RDM AF3 is purple..... Let me see if I can get a pic....
    200px-Haudrale.jpg

Probably not the final version based on the PLD and BLM pics I've seen.

Then again the based on the site, MNK and DNC AFs are shown but don't seem to be very different.

I don't like the purple. Red belongs to the Red Mage.

EdwinOfThay on
    edited May 2010
    You know what I'd like?

A set that actually fits a role.

I like a vast majority of armors in FFXI, I think they're well designed and are quite cool. They're subdued, sure, particularly compared to other MMO's out there, but they fit the setting and look like they'd actually be function armor. For the most part. Some of the ToAU stuff is....well yeah.

Anyway, what I don't like is totally random stats on set pieces that don't make sense. Why the hell is there so much ranged accuracy on Iron Musketeer's armor, for instance? It would be nice if a job got a set that they could use, probably end game, that the entire set was used at once for whatever purpose it had. I realize gear swaps will never go away, and that's fine; but I like armor to match. It always bugs me when I see people that look like clowns just in order to get the "best" stats for whatever. On top of that I just don't understand SE's reasoning behind itemization on high-end sets. Why would you make, for instance, a relic piece have little to no use to the job it is for? You shouldn't have to make patchwork gear to get your desired stats.

In that vein I don't understand why they have never gone back and reitemized most jobs AF1 to make them good. For many jobs their AF gear is pretty subpar to quite a lot of things you can get at that level. Even before all the new sets, when AF was "end game", that was still the case.

And there is no sense to it.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2010
    SE just really hates fixing old content. They'd much rather add new stuff to replace it.
    I also blame the absolutely useless pieces of set gear on some developers just not having that great of an understanding of some jobs.

TheStig on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Then there is Black Mage AF1. You get it just say you got it. It isn't like it is replacing the piece you wore during the fight you need to beat to get it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2010
    Could be worse, could be bard AF. I didn't even bother to get that 6 years ago.

Missing whm invites form 6 years ago though. 3 hours seeking ; ;

Tag on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, no one invites WHMs anymore, since the idiot elitists sucking on Colibri beaks want RDMs -- mainly cause of LOLMANA and LOLHASTE. White, Black, Blue, Summoner and Scholar are all subjobs at best. This is the only real way to play and you will like it you noob!

I'd be so fucking happy if Square Enix would make Colibri too annoying to meleeburn anymore, but given their reaction to the "NINJAS CAN HAS BLINK! ARRG! NINJSA AM ONLY REAL TANK!" high end playerbase, well, good luck.

I have a suspicion once the update hits, I'm going to be fighting the same 3 different Colibri in the same 3 or 4 different camps int he same 2 zones for the 250k XP or so it'll take to go from 75-80.

L70. Got an Icarus Wing, a Blink Band, and a T. Rice Ball for the Maat fight. Have my Sam Testi-whatever. Used my 2 hour to try and get the timing down on Tachi: Yukikaze and Tachi: Gekko spam. Whoops. Guess I'll do Genkai 5 after I wake up. Completely broke, but can do pages in Cape T, so, yay for me.

Plan is tomorow: Genkai 5, then switch to L35 War and try and get myself to L40 War. Maybe do the same thing with Dancer, as right now I'm L70/L31 SAM/DNC, and it's lame.

If I hit 75 before the update, I'm going to switch to Dragoon I think. Maybe Monk. Dragoon will be easy if I can find polearms, unfortunately the prices on polearms post L37 (the start of Colibri hell) are a bit on the ... off... side.

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    A whm/sch and smn/sch can actually heal a bird merit party perfectly well. It's too bad 90% of people are too dumb to realize that though.

Black mages and scholar mains have their puddings... which isn't nearly as fast, but you can do any group size from 1-6 and people usually just go to the spot and party up with whoever is there already killing, it can be pretty nice change from the "push everyone else out!" syndrome that the bird camps have.

Also i'll never invite a ninja to a bird party, they're awful :P

TheStig on
    edited May 2010
    I assume colibri parties will be dead as soon as the june update comes out and caps are taken off areas.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited May 2010
    I assume colibri parties will be dead as soon as the june update comes out and caps are taken off areas.

I suspect they will be crowded as hell, with people trying to level sync down to 74/75 as much as possible.
    At least until people discover a good camp for monsters that are over level 82 and easy to handle.

TheStig on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah not looking forward to that phase. Fortunately I have so much lowbie leveling to do that I'm hoping people will have found the new camps.

Tag on
    edited May 2010
    I have no doubt that SE will add some "Space Colibri" to the Abyss-sea areas to make going from 75-80 just fine. Probably will take a while to get there. If it's instanced like MMM, well, maybe a few more days than we expect.

Other than that, yes, I fully expect people to Level Sync down to the 75 areas cause they're safe, and the only things a Final Fantasy 11 Elitist smacktard likes more than safe and stupid partying are pocky and 4chan memes.

Someone did the math for me, they say that if you are in a merit party, and switch to XP from 75-80 instead of merits, you'll hit 80 in about 10 hours of partying. It's entirely possible we'll see people hitting 80 on multiple jobs before July.

KiTA on
    edited May 2010
    You really just need a hard core merit group with one person who's more interested in merits than leveling and everyone can sync down to him.

I so would have been all over this with a double bard rdm mnk war war party if i was still playing.
    The problem is everyone else would have been too :(

TheStig on
    edited May 2010
    If no one wants the new OP I can knock one out tomorrow?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So since I'm almost to 37 on my dancer I just had a few questions....Should I stay used to soloing or will I get invited to the colibri parties? and would I be healer or just dd while debuffing and healing when needed in said parties?

Also I completely love rolanberry fields. From 29 to 35 I made like 6k an hour doing the fov page 2 killing wasps and grubs, only playing while I had a page available though so there were some 9 minute sessions:). I also got 3 stacks of beehive chips and 2 stacks of silk thread so I made like 40k in the process. Xp wasnt too great at the end and I probably could have moved on to page4 for quadav and grubs, but the bees died crazy fast with final sting and the grubs slowed me for 7 miutes way too often so I didnt want to have to fight 6 of them.

I think part of my love of this zone is that it makes sense to me. I can easily turn the fov page into a quest that a farmer asks me to thin the wasps and grubs out because they're ruining the rolanberry crop. Most of the other zones just don't flow the same way for me.

And finally I still need to get in the carby guild. The only two people I know to /sea for are bri and kingshand and I haven't seen them on the last few days. If anyone else has a pearlsack feel free to /tell kalbus and I'll come to meet you, I'm starting to get lonely:)

draw4wild on
    edited May 2010
    I am in now, but in an exp party in the jungle.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • EdwinOfThayEdwinOfThay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    draw4wild wrote: »
    And finally I still need to get in the carby guild. The only two people I know to /sea for are bri and kingshand and I haven't seen them on the last few days. If anyone else has a pearlsack feel free to /tell kalbus and I'll come to meet you, I'm starting to get lonely:)

You can /tell or /sea all edwin if you want a pearl as well. I can pretty much meet you anywhere. :P

EdwinOfThay on
    edited May 2010
    Edwin isn't a PA native (yet) but he got a sack because he is more active than I have been able to be recently.

Job is Fire Department, not much I can do about the hours at this point.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2010
    Mage just miscast on a White Lizard, and we got an add. Total party wipeout.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2010
    Ugh I hate those things. That's why all my debuff macros are

/target <bt>
    /cast Dia <stnpc>

Autosets my default on 1 target while allowing me to change if we have link.

Edit: Looks like we'll need a new thread soon.

Tag on
    edited May 2010
    Valkurm Emperor was up, just flying around by his lonesome earlier, guess who has an Empress Hairpin now.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited May 2010
    ... and two thumbs?

Just_Bri_Thanks on