As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 YLOD. Should I send it to Sony or try to repair it myself?

Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
tl;dr: Do I send in my console or does anyone know of a tried-and-true method that cures the YLOD problem? I see YouTube tutorials, programs like PS3LightFix and cannot figure out what is a temporary fix and what is a scam, but I really don't want to drop $150 and lose my PS3 for half the summer.

Rest of the post
I hear that not all Sony repairs last long, and their warranty is (conveniently) only 90 days. Are there any good, reliable alternate services?

Edit 2: How about any good do-it-yourself programs? PS3 Light Fix? Anyone done a YouTube tutorial with success?

Also, how many of these fixes are temporary? Are there any known to last longer than others? I've seen some DIY videos on YouTube that have people taking their heating guns to their motherboards and stuff that are temporary fixes for a few months and I've read some things about Sony's refurbished consoles breaking too.

Also, I have a disc in the BluRay drive. Should I just open the console up and take it out? I disassembled the PS3 this weekend when it started turning itself off so I know how to do it (it was overheating... I didn't know YLOD was often the cause of overheating or I'd have backed up my content before it turned itself off for the fourth - and final - time).

Edit: I've got a 60 GB launch PS3. Obviously the phat one.

I've also found a ton of negative reviews for the videogame911 site I stumbled across and how they're scamming consumers.

Update: I called Sony. Sony must've run out of 60 GB PS3 Phat. They are offering 120 GB PS3 Slim for $120 or getting this console repaired for $130. Hmmmmmm

Black Ice on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i got my ps3 repaired by sony, for free, more than eighteen months ago and it hasn't had a hitch since. i use it everyday for games and constant tv watching / recording.

just ring sony. they'll fix it properly and with any luck they won't even charge you for it.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Don't they charge $150 for it? How long had you owned your PS3 when you called them and what did you say? I ask so I can do the same since mine is way the heck out of warranty (it's a 60 GB launch PS3 fat).

Black Ice on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes, take the disc out before sending it in. I don't know about Sony, but Microsoft almost always sends you a different unit.

As far as alternatives, I don't believe there are any. As far as I know, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all keep the repair in-house, rather than authorizing outside companies to do it.

Arrath on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Black Ice wrote: »
    Don't they charge $150 for it? How long had you owned your PS3 when you called them and what did you say? I ask so I can do the same since mine is way the heck out of warranty (it's a 60 GB launch PS3 fat).

i'd owned it for just over a year. he did ask me when i bought it but didn't seem to concerned about the exact details and never really implied that i'd ever have to pay. i might have just been lucky, but it's clearly in their power to do it for you without charge so be polite on the phone and ask what they can do for you and you might be lucky too

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll give Sony a call tomorrow to see if they'll do it for free but after owning the system for 3 years I'm not hopeful :(

I am still trying to figure out if I want to fix it myself. There's this thing called PS3LightsFix and I don't like the look of the site - it's selling to the masses (aka the uninformed, technology-challenged in this case) and has a cheesy and greasy looking site. I can't find any reviews on it. They have a money back guarantee which honestly makes it even sketchier...

I'm really comfortable opening the system and working with it, I just want it fixed.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    check out psr1.com, I used them recently. Totally NOT a scam. Every time I've called (3 or 4, in total) I've gotten a real live person within 2 minutes or so.

The way it works, you place a request and they call you to talk about your specifics (IE, problem, if you prefer to ship it yourself or have them send you a molded box, payment options etc).

Then they call to tell you it's fixed. I called once inbetween to check the status. (Takes about 2 weeks from the day I sent it out).

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    OliverOliver Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I fixed my brothers YLOD problem a few months ago. The problem with his (I'm not sure if all YLOD are the same) was that due to overheating the solder connecting either his cell or rsx chip to the motherboard had to be reflowed. I have very little experience working on electronics specifically, but I am very mechanically minded. That being said, for me it was not a terribly hard fix. I spent about $30 purchasing the proper tools to do the job.

I watched a walk thru of the process on youtube, however I can't seem to find the same one that I watched back then so I can't provide a link.

Moral of the story: It can be done if you trust yourself to be careful and follow directions.

Oliver on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oliver wrote: »
    I fixed my brothers YLOD problem a few months ago. The problem with his (I'm not sure if all YLOD are the same) was that due to overheating the solder connecting either his cell or rsx chip to the motherboard had to be reflowed. I have very little experience working on electronics specifically, but I am very mechanically minded. That being said, for me it was not a terribly hard fix. I spent about $30 purchasing the proper tools to do the job.

I watched a walk thru of the process on youtube, however I can't seem to find the same one that I watched back then so I can't provide a link.

Moral of the story: It can be done if you trust yourself to be careful and follow directions.

The reflowing issue is a temporary fix that lasts a few months. I even heard it from a local repair shop in addition to the gajillion posts about it online. I think I'd need to replace the motherboard to get it to work again. I'm wondering if Sony does that.
    check out psr1.com, I used them recently. Totally NOT a scam. Every time I've called (3 or 4, in total) I've gotten a real live person within 2 minutes or so.

The way it works, you place a request and they call you to talk about your specifics (IE, problem, if you prefer to ship it yourself or have them send you a molded box, payment options etc).

Then they call to tell you it's fixed. I called once inbetween to check the status. (Takes about 2 weeks from the day I sent it out).

These guys are expensive. What did they do to fix your problem? Tell me they didn't just reflow the heat, that only lasts a few months. A place nearby was offering to do that for $80... I can do it myself for free.

Edit: I just called psr1, they were replacing motherboards for a while but now all they do is reflow the heat. For $109. Which will last a few months.

Edit 2: Sony must've run out of 60 GB PS3 BC. They are offering 120 GB PS3 Slim for $120 or getting this console repaired for $130. Hmmmmmm

Black Ice on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wasn't getting a ylod, so I'm not sure exactly what they did. I believe it was replacing the laser on the disc drive. $130 total isn't too expensive, to me anyway. I like my BC <3

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Yes, take the disc out before sending it in. I don't know about Sony, but Microsoft almost always sends you a different unit.

Yeah, be careful. I've heard cases of both, so there seems to be a decent chance you won't get the exact same one back.
    Black Ice wrote: »
    Update: I called Sony. Sony must've run out of 60 GB PS3 Phat. They are offering 120 GB PS3 Slim for $120 or getting this console repaired for $130. Hmmmmmm

Oy, that sucks. How deeply married are you to BC?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I disassembled the PS3 this weekend when it started turning itself off so I know how to do it (it was overheating... I didn't know YLOD was often the cause of overheating or I'd have backed up my content before it turned itself off for the fourth - and final - time).

Wait, did you disassemble the one you're planning to send in to Sony? Sony's repair guys will send it back to you without even touching it if you peeled off the warranty sticker, regardless of if you're out-of-warranty or not.

LupintheThird on