As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHALLA] Avatar: The Last Phallbender - Mafia Victory

• Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    WTB Earth Master

Sorry Gumpy I was working my way to you, but day one that I took over I taught Aang. figured that might be a good thing. The night I died I was attempting to action seer Egos, then the next night I was planning on talking to you. Unfortunately I died thanks to the mole.

Curse you mole. Short replacement stint was short.

I can forgive you for not outing tz since you were a replacement and probably lost as is.

I gave it some thought but seeing as the only people left that knew I was in the network were one special and one mafia I figured the village would shit on it. Confirming an action seer/ earth master on day 5ish would be a pain in the ass. Especially since from what I could pick up the mafia had WAY too much influence over the village.

Edit-Thanks for hosting Delmain and letting me be a replacement that had something to do!

Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I kept wanting to train Aaang, Mr. Fab, and The_Reflection, but I had to guard Infi instead. That didn't work either, as we saw.

Most of my hunches were right, as it proved, so I don't feel so bad about being a dumb noob.

daniant on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey, I don't think anyone has posted the Seer Mechanic.
    <Appa/Momo> You may specify one person at a time to accompany Appa and Momo on reconnaissance missions. That player will gain the following Active Ability, in addition to any Active Abilities they may already have. In order to activate this ability, send a target along with your normal nightly orders. The next day, the target will gain the ability and he will retain it until death or until you declare another target in your nightly orders. You may target yourself with this ability, and on the first day you control Appa and Momo's Seer yourself.
    <Appa/Momo> Seer - You may target another player in order to learn that player's nationality and relative strength (commoner/warrior/bender/master).

Once Aang died, it went down my ordered list of players, Aang -> Katara -> Sokka -> Toph -> etc all the way (potentially) to the last Earth Kingdom Citizen on the list. They got the same ability Aang had in his opening PM. It was basically an immortal seer role. It had the potential to end badly, especially once Aang seered a thrall, because you could send it out with another player.

In fact, that's what I assumed would happen at first when the seer went on tzeentch. I didn't expect him to be invited to the proboard, I expected him to get control of the seer until someone figured him out.

Delmain on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, even as a borderline inactive vanillager I had Tzeentchling and Mundanesoul pegged. Not that it did us much good.

Anyway, thanks for running, delm.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Delmain wrote: »
    <Appa/Momo> You may specify one person at a time to accompany Appa and Momo on reconnaissance missions. That player will gain the following Active Ability, in addition to any Active Abilities they may already have. In order to activate this ability, send a target along with your normal nightly orders. The next day, the target will gain the ability and he will retain it until death or until you declare another target in your nightly orders. You may target yourself with this ability, and on the first day you control Appa and Momo's Seer yourself.
    <Appa/Momo> Seer - You may target another player in order to learn that player's nationality and relative strength (commoner/warrior/bender/master).

Once Aang died, it went down my ordered list of players, Aang -> Katara -> Sokka -> Toph -> etc all the way (potentially) to the last Earth Kingdom Citizen on the list. They got the same ability Aang had in his opening PM. It was basically an immortal seer role. It had the potential to end badly, especially once Aang seered a thrall, because you could send it out with another player.

In fact, that's what I assumed would happen at first when the seer went on tzeentch. I didn't expect him to be invited to the proboard, I expected him to get control of the seer until someone figured him out.

Oh, that is an interesting seer ability.

Sepah on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Welp.

I can't deduce for shit I was completely wrong. :(

Sorry for the inactivity I was busier then expected.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited May 2010
    garret wrote:
    Okay, I'm here, ready to burninate some people.

Could the Dai Lee be in the game? I would think that non-master Earthbenders are suspect.

Ahahaha, oh damn. We seriously got so lucky.

Sepah on
    edited May 2010
    Sepah wrote: »

Oh, that is an interesting seer ability.

Like it/Hate it? I was trying to keep it alive longer with the caveat that there weer thralls and millers.

Delmain on
    edited May 2010
    I like it. It preserves the essential role of the seer ability while introducing fun new risks and rewards.

Sepah on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    garret wrote:

Could the Dai Lee be in the game? I would think that non-master Earthbenders are suspect.

Man, I saw this when I was rereading the thread and I did a double take. It was awfully funny.

Capfalcon on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I got lucky there. I thought I had sufficiently allayed your suspicious, Infidel, but apparently not. I had no idea what sort of power to make up for the "Bender" ability, so I kind of took a stab at something and ended up with the 2-vote thing. Regardless, it probably was the mistake of the game to invite me to the proboard. Especially since all the other members were actually major show characters. I also tried to play on my newness, which isn't going to work anymore.

Dai Li fo eva!

tzeentchling on
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    garret wrote:

/facepalm

I knew it! Dammit... You're a goose Tz. <3

Future thought, stay with my gut.

Sad point, no ironic 'fire nation on fire nation crime' on my part, even though we pretty much had Egos pegged.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • DemuristDemurist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is one of the few instances where I wish I actually was mafia. This sounds like it was fun for you guys, if not a little easy. A fucking cake walk, even! God! I want some cake now...or maybe pie :shock:

Demurist on
    sig.jpg
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damn. This needs to get put in the phallawiki. I don't think the village ever got assraped with a chainsaw in one day like that before.

What is it about me that leads people to think I'm suspicious, anyways? I either get vigged or I end up under the nearest bandwagon. I just don't have a lot to say. That's all.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    from gg boards:
    other than he isn't usually this investigative

I am, you just haven't played enough games with me :)

Egos on
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    from gg boards:
    other than he isn't usually this investigative

I am, you just haven't played enough games with me :)

As I said, in the open. :)

I've played, what, three or four with you now, and it has seemed you did most of your investigations behind the scenes. That might just be a string of weirdness, but that's what I've seen so far. :P

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • DemuristDemurist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Egos is a very cunning player. He just doesn't like to bandy it about in the open like a goose. That is what makes him so cunning. Something I could learn from perhaps...

Demurist on
    sig.jpg
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sorry I messed up so bad, but I think it's much easier to look back and say 'sure there obviously were thralls' than it was to realize it early.

I invited Tz because after I posted my seer results no one commented about doing anything, so I sent the invite myself. If there had been a serious discussion of segmenting the network I'd have done otherwise, but that didn't happen.

Again, my bad, but this result couldn't have been totally unexpected.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why was I killed by bad guys? Seemed like a waste after how easy I got wagons on me (SUSPICIOUSSSS).

haven't followed the game after my early demise, but thanks for hosting delmain

Alegis on
    edited May 2010
    Exarch wrote: »
    Sorry I messed up so bad, but I think it's much easier to look back and say 'sure there obviously were thralls' than it was to realize it early.

I invited Tz because after I posted my seer results no one commented about doing anything, so I sent the invite myself. If there had been a serious discussion of segmenting the network I'd have done otherwise, but that didn't happen.

Again, my bad, but this result couldn't have been totally unexpected.

Delmain on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fun game Delmain, thanks!

Neurotika on
  • EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Demurist wrote: »
    This is one of the few instances where I wish I actually was mafia. This sounds like it was fun for you guys, if not a little easy. A fucking cake walk, even! God! I want some cake now...or maybe pie :shock:

Yeah, this game did end up being easy for us. But this was mostly because of a lucky set of circumstances for us wherein we were able to off all of the specials so quickly. I don't think there was anything wrong with the mechanics of the game. And apparently even though the existence of thralls wasn't explicitly stated in the game's description it looks like there were at least some people who suspected their existence anyways.
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Damn. This needs to get put in the phallawiki. I don't think the village ever got assraped with a chainsaw in one day like that before.

Well, the annual Phalla awards should be coming up sometime relatively soon. I'm sure this game will get some consideration for something.

Ebfan on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait now everyone is saying thanks to Delmain and how this was a good game

delmain you are the worst of all possible hosts, a plague on your house, ptooey ptooey

simonwolf on
  • ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited May 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Why was I killed by bad guys? Seemed like a waste after how easy I got wagons on me (SUSPICIOUSSSS).

haven't followed the game after my early demise, but thanks for hosting delmain

You were too bright for us to leave you standing. Honestly, I believe more of our kill selections were based on deductive and knowledgable players rather than suspicion management, although that was certainly a concern. So take your early death as a high compliment. :)

Shushnik on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    While my grotesque ego appreciates the undeserved praise, my phalla role's life span does not D:

Alegis on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The mafia killed me!

Thanks for running this, Delmain. Sorry I wasn't more involved. I dove in right in the middle, and didn't have as much time as I might have liked to look at stuff.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

This doesn't mean much to someone who hadn't seen the show before, 'suspect' being a fairly open term in phalla. Poor luck giving the Aang role to a non fan.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

This doesn't mean much to someone who hadn't seen the show before, 'suspect' being a fairly open term in phalla. Poor luck giving the Aang role to a non fan.

No, it has nothing to do with the game, but "what motiviation do I have to reveal myself" in any game let alone invite them?

People really should learn something from this game not go "oh it wasn't anyones fault good game Del!"

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited May 2010
    Infidel wrote: »

No, it has nothing to do with the game, but "what motiviation do I have to reveal myself" in any game let alone invite them?

People really should learn something from this game not go "oh it wasn't anyones fault good game Del!"

Agreed. We had a strong network going, revealing should have happened after everyone else was decimated.

My only complaint of the game itself? No Avatar State. I think that would have been a rather interesting twist, and might have leveled the playing field after the Gaang decimation. Overall, pretty balanced, and fun, for as long as I lasted in it.

*grumble grumble, fucking zuko, killed.... grrr... grumble grumble*

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, we got SO lucky that the bandwagon turned off of me after I decided to write up a post loaded on cold meds. It might not have mattered at that point, but still that could've turned things in the village's favor. Nice work by Sepah to subtly avert suspicion off of me, and many thanks to Keika and thorgot for your assistance! :D

Fun game, thanks Del! Would've probably been much more less one-sided if not for our lucking out with tzeentch. That was a hell of a deal.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this is why you warn people about thralls. they're supposed to be a deterrent to the seer, not an instant win possibility for the mafia

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    thorgot wrote: »
    this is why you warn people about thralls. they're supposed to be a deterrent to the seer, not an instant win possibility for the mafia

To be fair, the village had some members that were well versed in the source material. Enough so that the possibility of thralls (because the thrall mechanic is exactly how the city fell in the show) was known. Warning of the possibility of thralls would basically be nothing but notification that thralls in fact were present.

I can see how communication of the possibility would affect the game, and I think in this case it would have had a more negative effect than leaving the possibility unanswered.

Shushnik on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No seriously, quit blaming the host for someone making a dumb move, people need to learn from this shit and not sweep it under the rug.

The thralls were well done seeing how GARRET FUCKING CALLED IT COMPLETELY and that concern was ignored. For no reason other than "let's make friends."

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm gonna agree with Infidel here. Besides the fact that the theme lends itself very easily to thralls (and that it was called out), this is a lesson to all future seers. Don't just accept everyone you seer into the network. Unless, of course, you've gotten clarifications that there are 1) no thralls, 2) no conversions, 3) 100% reliable seerings. We lost the game because we didn't take precautions, so now that everyone has seen this I don't expect it to happen again? OK? OK!

Also, Toph is cool, I think I'm gonna stick with this avatar for a while :P.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited May 2010
    My only complaint of the game itself? No Avatar State.

Man, you should've heard the debates I had with TehSloth over possible implementations of the Avatar State. Rest assured though, it'll be around in some form for the mini.

Delmain on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, honestly, one of the reasons we did so well was that the Gaang got organized so quickly. Sokka and Zuko were pretty obvious near the start. Sokka was masoned with Katara (I think), while Zuko was masoned with Iroh. The Gaang + Iroh + Sokka's master all got organized really fast.

So, what exactly was Sokka's master's win condition?

Capfalcon on
    edited May 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Yeah, honestly, one of the reasons we did so well was that the Gaang got organized so quickly. Sokka and Zuko were pretty obvious near the start. Sokka was masoned with Katara (I think), while Zuko was masoned with Iroh. The Gaang + Iroh + Sokka's master all got organized really fast.

Survive till the end OR train someone else.

He got lucky because Infidel was revealed.

Delmain on
    edited May 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »

Survive till the end OR train someone else.

He got lucky because Infidel was revealed.

So who could he train? I mean, could he train any warrior or what?

Capfalcon on
    edited May 2010
    Nope, just Sokka

Delmain on
    edited May 2010
    Nope, just Sokka

That seems a bit easy for a win condition.

Shushnik on